sevenair
Topic Author

Hard Left UK State Broadcaster TV Tax Rising. Again

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:25 pm

The TV licence fee, which largely pays for BBC services is to rise once again to over £150. I personally think I'll not be renewing my licence. I don't have a TV aerial. I watch Netflix and NowTV and rarely use the iPlayer.

I don't see why I should pay for some service that only represents a narrow mind set. Over half of the votership voted Brexit by a margin measured in millions and more people voted Tory in GE17 than in Labour's last landslide win. If more people voted Tory and more people voted Brexit then surely their opinions have a right to be freely expressed by this so called 'impartial' broadcaster?

News has a hard left slant and is very pro Labour and anti Tory and generally anti British. Their flagship shows are carefully engineered so that pro Brexit guests are outnumbered 4-1 and far left extremists from Momentum are allowed to influence shows by appearing to be randomly selected guests.

Not to mention the disgraceful dispartities when it comes to the gender pay gap. I'm of the opinion the the gender pay gap is usually a myth and can be easily explained but not in the case of the BBC.

It's time to end the TV tax. Those who use the BBC and have their views represented by the BBC should pay for the BBC.

https://news.sky.com/story/tv-licence-fee-to-rise-for-second-year-running-11262023
If diversity really is our strength, why do you have such a fear of hearing diverse opinions or those who are differently opinionated?

flipdewaf

Re: Hard Left UK State Broadcaster TV Tax Rising. Again

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:07 pm

Interesting, I find the BBC to be quite good at the impartial piece.

The problem as I see it with the brexit problem is that the calibre of people who are employed by default by the BBC for both the broadcasting and as guests on the show means that by default they will likely be more anti Brexit/pro European. 4-1 disparity? maybe that is so, I haven't done any analysis on it. My hunch however is that with the strong correlation of level education within a given area and the propensity to vote remain and the fact that media organisations require well educated you would think that that was the case.

I don't find the news on the BBC has a hard left slant at all and anti british? I'm not sure what that actually means but it feels like something one might hear on a British version of fox news.

Now you mention that the pay gap is normally a myth?

Don't pay the TV licence if you don't want. Nobody is forcing you to.

BTW when Boris builds his bridge over the channel you can live under it to scare the froggies back to france :thumbsup:

Fred

Reinhardt

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:25 pm

I think it's pretty laughable to call the BBC "Hard Left". Very few if any programs and newspapers in the UK are anywhere near approaching hard left by most standards. Only right wing people think that, and they have the glorious nonsense that the Daily Fail, Sun, Express and the Telegraph (disappointingly more day by day) spout out.

sevenair wrote:
The TV licence fee, which largely pays for BBC services is to rise once again to over £150. I personally think I'll not be renewing my licence. I don't have a TV aerial. I watch Netflix and NowTV and rarely use the iPlayer.

It's a lot I agree, and considering modern availability of content online it's probably too much for a lot of people. Still the quality of general news production and nature programs is unrivalled worldwide.

sevenair wrote:
I don't see why I should pay for some service that only represents a narrow mind set. Over half of the votership voted Brexit by a margin measured in millions and more people voted Tory in GE17 than in Labour's last landslide win. If more people voted Tory and more people voted Brexit then surely their opinions have a right to be freely expressed by this so called 'impartial' broadcaster?

I generally find that plenty of people from both left and right have gripes with the BBC. On that basis I think it's probably fairly balanced. I've not seen anyone who voted for Brexit or voted Tory have their opinions stopped from being broadcast on the BBC. Journalists maybe give brexiteers more of a hard time, but that's deserved because of ridiculous situation the UK is now in because of them. The amount of lies and nonsense spouted by cabinet members on the BBC on a weekly basis that goes completely unchallenged is mind boggling, so I have a gripe with the BBC for that.

sevenair wrote:
News has a hard left slant and is very pro Labour and anti Tory and generally anti British. Their flagship shows are carefully engineered so that pro Brexit guests are outnumbered 4-1 and far left extremists from Momentum are allowed to influence shows by appearing to be randomly selected guests.

Really? Then I guess you don't watch Question Time that often. Nigel Farage received massive exposure from being the program after being on it 32 times (joint 2nd highest) despite the party he used to lead having something like 2-3% of the vote at elections. Farage could easily be described as an extremist, the party certainly has it's fair share of extremist members.

Anti British is nonsense and a typical phrase that I am hearing being used more and more. Especially when the only qualifying criteria seems to be when people didn't vote for Brexit,strongly dislike what the Tories are doing right now and utterly condemn papers labelling Judges as "Enemy's of the people" and perfectly decent MP's as "Traitors". The language is dangerous and has no place in a civilised democracy like the UK used to be.

sevenair wrote:
Not to mention the disgraceful dispartities when it comes to the gender pay gap. I'm of the opinion the the gender pay gap is usually a myth and can be easily explained but not in the case of the BBC.

Agreed there. It's unacceptable as long as you compare like for like jobs, experience, working hours etc.

Bongodog1964

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:34 pm

I watch the BBC more than ITV, but its brexit stance does get a little wearing, especially on economic matters. The biggest offender is their economics editor Kamal Amed, good news is always ended with the phrase "despite Brexit"

The BBC has tended for many years to recruit from a small section of the population, jobs would only be advertised in the society section of the Guardian, this being the newspaper of the educated left. You would never see them advertise in the Daily Telegraph as an example. The result is that they operate in an environment where they know their views are the correct ones as they are shared with everyone in the office.

The word they say with the most contempt is "populist" how dare the majority have their own opinions, we are your moral superiors and have the right to tell you what to think and do.

Unfortunately for them, elections and referendums are populist, the most votes wins.

tommy1808

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:43 pm

Bongodog1964 wrote:
The BBC has tended for many years to recruit from a small section of the population, jobs would only be advertised in the society section of the Guardian, this being the newspaper of the educated left.

People interested in working for TV know where to find the adds, and focusing on one newspaper safes money. Some rotating would probably been good, but I assume from your wording the practice has been abandoned?
Judging by the program and it's balance, it either didn't lead to staff bias, or the people they did hire happen to go about their work in a very professional manner.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

sevenair
Topic Author

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:28 pm

Reinhardt wrote:
I think it's pretty laughable to call the BBC "Hard Left". Very few if any programs and newspapers in the UK are anywhere near approaching hard left by most standards. Only right wing people think that, and they have the glorious nonsense that the Daily Fail, Sun, Express and the Telegraph (disappointingly more day by day) spout out.

sevenair wrote:

It's a lot I agree, and considering modern availability of content online it's probably too much for a lot of people. Still the quality of general news production and nature programs is unrivalled worldwide.

sevenair wrote:

I generally find that plenty of people from both left and right have gripes with the BBC. On that basis I think it's probably fairly balanced. I've not seen anyone who voted for Brexit or voted Tory have their opinions stopped from being broadcast on the BBC. Journalists maybe give brexiteers more of a hard time, but that's deserved because of ridiculous situation the UK is now in because of them. The amount of lies and nonsense spouted by cabinet members on the BBC on a weekly basis that goes completely unchallenged is mind boggling, so I have a gripe with the BBC for that.

sevenair wrote:

Really? Then I guess you don't watch Question Time that often. Nigel Farage received massive exposure from being the program after being on it 32 times (joint 2nd highest) despite the party he used to lead having something like 2-3% of the vote at elections. Farage could easily be described as an extremist, the party certainly has it's fair share of extremist members.

Anti British is nonsense and a typical phrase that I am hearing being used more and more. Especially when the only qualifying criteria seems to be when people didn't vote for Brexit,strongly dislike what the Tories are doing right now and utterly condemn papers labelling Judges as "Enemy's of the people" and perfectly decent MP's as "Traitors". The language is dangerous and has no place in a civilised democracy like the UK used to be.

sevenair wrote:

Agreed there. It's unacceptable as long as you compare like for like jobs, experience, working hours etc.

The difference with the Daily Mail (the left's greatest obsession in life it seems!) is that one can choose to use it or not. If I have a TV I pretty much have to bankroll the BBC. Not a fair comparison.

You mention Farage but it would be interesting to see how many times he appeared with other brexiteers and when he did, how many he appeared with. I no longer whatch QT as it got tedious watching such an unbalanced panel.
If diversity really is our strength, why do you have such a fear of hearing diverse opinions or those who are differently opinionated?

coolian2

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:44 pm

As someone who could be described as "hard left", this categorisation of the BBC tickles me.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

ltbewr

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:53 pm

Sure you pay a 'license tax' but it means no commercials interrupting good programs.

sevenair
Topic Author

Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:00 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Sure you pay a 'license tax' but it means no commercials interrupting good programs.

I choose to use other pay TV services and I don’t have to watch adverts and I’m not continually subjected to one view point and I’m not insulted by them neither.

flipdewaf

Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:17 pm

sevenair wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

I choose to use other pay TV services and I don’t have to watch adverts and I’m not continually subjected to one view point and I’m not insulted by them neither.

*either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Olddog

Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:24 pm

Calling BBC hard left tell us all we have to know about you :)

Dano1977

Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:36 pm

I've heard some from the right call the BBC leftist

I've heard some from the left call out the BBC for being to much to the right

IF neither can agree... The BBC must be doing something right!
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

c933103

Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:57 pm

How does the tv tax work in UK? There are nothing comparable in where I live, while I have heard that Japan have a law that require citizens pay a fixed amount to NHK every months and they would send people all around Japan to collect money or urge people to setup an autopay account for every household that have installed a TV set, but citizens in Japan can deny such payment without any consequences other than they could be rejected from participating in NHK shows. How is it like in the UK?

Aesma

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:02 pm

In France we have a similar tax and you pay it along with your local taxes (only once even if you own several homes).

We do have ads on the public TV channels though, except in the evening.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

jetero

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:13 pm

sevenair wrote:
Over half of the votership voted Brexit by a margin measured in millions and more people voted Tory in GE17 than in Labour's last landslide win. If more people voted Tory and more people voted Brexit then surely their opinions have a right to be freely expressed by this so called 'impartial' broadcaster?

I think we should vote on everything. If 50% plus 1 is in favor of something on one day, well then let's then consider the issue settled for the sake of posterity and never up for debate ever, ever again.

Bongodog1964

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:13 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Bongodog1964 wrote:
The BBC has tended for many years to recruit from a small section of the population, jobs would only be advertised in the society section of the Guardian, this being the newspaper of the educated left.

People interested in working for TV know where to find the adds, and focusing on one newspaper safes money. Some rotating would probably been good, but I assume from your wording the practice has been abandoned?
Judging by the program and it's balance, it either didn't lead to staff bias, or the people they did hire happen to go about their work in a very professional manner.

Best regards
Thomas

The practice of advertising in the Guardian has to the best of my knowledge been abandoned as the society supplement is no longer published. It was not only the BBC, but many public sector employers that used it back before the days of austerity when the public sector was inventing positions every day.

The Guardian newspaper is losing huge sums of money and has a very low readership now.

In regard to some comments about the BBC being hard left, they are probably hated more by the hard left than the right. Their political correspondent ended up with bodyguards at the Labour Party Conference following threats from the hard left.

SheikhDjibouti

Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:06 pm

c933103 wrote:
How does the tv tax work in UK? There are nothing comparable in where I live, while I have heard that Japan have a law that require citizens pay a fixed amount to NHK every months and they would send people all around Japan to collect money or urge people to setup an autopay account for every household that have installed a TV set, but citizens in Japan can deny such payment without any consequences other than they could be rejected from participating in NHK shows. How is it like in the UK?

Before the advent of the internet and streaming services, the basic measure in the UK was "do you have an aerial and a TV capable of receiving broadcast television."
If the answer was "yes", then you were obliged to buy a TV licence from the UK Government every 12 months.
It didn't matter if you only watched commercial (non-BBC) broadcasts; you were buying a licence for the ability to watch all programmes. Whilst this might not seem entirely fair today, back in the early days the BBC represented either 50% or the majority of broadcasts. In fact in the earliest days it was 100% BBC content.

Originally, the licence fee was small (relative to the cost of televisions, which were luxury items), and in that different era, most people "did the right thing" and paid for a licence.
Later on, TVs became common, the licence fee rose, and so did the total revenue for the Gov't. By the 1970s, the common assumption was that every household would have access to a TV set, so every address in the UK was expected to have a TV licence. Properties that did not have a TV licence might expect a visit from an inspector (although in reality this was fairly rare), and if a TV set was observed on the premises, this would be followed by a court case and penalty fines. On rare occasions, individuals argued in court that although they owned a TV set, they somehow never used it. And of course a small percentage of properties genuinely did not watch TV and were thus exempt.

One of the methods used to identify TV use (without a licence) was TV detection equipment mounted in a van. The operating principles of the TV detectors used in these vans is a closely guarded secret, but it is generally thought that they operated by detecting electromagnetic radiation given off by a TV whilst in use. And of course there are accompanying tales of worried people peering out from behind their curtains to see if such a detector vehicle was active in a certain local area, at which point all those without licences would hurriedly switch their TV's off.

Another school of thought was that these vans contained no such technical equipment, but would drive around making themselves visible as a "reminder" to people who may have "forgotten" to purchase a valid licence. :lol:

The number of UK properties watching live TV broadcasts but not in possession of a suitable licence is estimated at between 5 and 6% (2014/2015)
There are two things that happen when you get old.
1. You start to lose your memory.
2. What was I saying again?

sevenair
Topic Author

Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:10 am

jetero wrote:
sevenair wrote:
Over half of the votership voted Brexit by a margin measured in millions and more people voted Tory in GE17 than in Labour's last landslide win. If more people voted Tory and more people voted Brexit then surely their opinions have a right to be freely expressed by this so called 'impartial' broadcaster?

I think we should vote on everything. If 50% plus 1 is in favor of something on one day, well then let's then consider the issue settled for the sake of posterity and never up for debate ever, ever again.

If 50% +1 vote a particular way then I’d expect a fairly balanced view just as I’d expect if some vote result was 52/48 in favour of something however the BBC ignore the 52 and appease the 48. Nothing to do with the fact they receive part EU funding. The population are forced to pay with threat of jail time so they’re guaranteed it regardless but must keep the EU happy.

sevenair
Topic Author

Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:41 am

Express I know, but here's an interesting quote:

"The analysis seen by the Daily Express shows that BBC Question Time had 85 Remainers on its panel between January and July 2017 compared to just 36 Brexit supporters, even though leaving the EU has dominated most of the discussions.

From the 24 shows only one had a majority of Leave supporters and 22 had a majority of Remainers.

Two shows did not feature any Brexit supporters at all and had five Remainers.

The analysis is the basis of a complaint to the watchdog Ofcom and has highlighted growing concerns over BBC bias with analysis of the Today programme earlier this year revealing that Remainers are more often invited to give their views"

Additionally a complaint was made to Ofcom by a viewer who found that 22 out of 25 shows had a majority remain panel. This was overturned by Ofcom because Dimbelby can magically make the show impartial despite the pre being 4 remoaners to one leaver and also Damien Green (who doesn't support Brexit) was allowed in one instance to put a pro Brexit message across. Out of the 25 shows complained about, they watched only two, one of which was in the aftermath of Manchester. Even Dimbelby himself has admitted to being shocked when every audience member he asked for comment appeared to be pro remain.

bananaboy

Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:45 am

Dano1977 wrote:

This. 100% this. The BBC is one of the few media outlets I can think of that is accused of bias from both sides of the political spectrum. I've never heard of anyone suggesting the Mail is pro-left or The Guardian pro-right. If they're managing to p*ss off people on both sides, I think they're probably doing an OK job.

I do wonder about the future of the BBC and the licence fee. I really value the quality of what they produce, in particular the news, a seemingly-endless website, some great original programming and decent radio. I value it even more having lived overseas and being fed endless crap reality shows about people dating farmers or fly-on-the-wall shows about parking wardens. Shoot me now.

With more and more streaming services coming every day and traditional viewing habits changing, I think ultimately the days of the licence fee are numbered and the BBC will have to become a fully-commercial organisation.

For me, for the cost of a cinema ticket per month, the licence fee still represents great value.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

sevenair
Topic Author

Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:51 am

bananaboy wrote:
Dano1977 wrote:

This. 100% this. The BBC is one of the few media outlets I can think of that is accused of bias from both sides of the political spectrum. I've never heard of anyone suggesting the Mail is pro-left or The Guardian pro-right. If they're managing to p*ss off people on both sides, I think they're probably doing an OK job.

I do wonder about the future of the BBC and the licence fee. I really value the quality of what they produce, in particular the news, a seemingly-endless website, some great original programming and decent radio. I value it even more having lived overseas and being fed endless crap reality shows about people dating farmers or fly-on-the-wall shows about parking wardens. Shoot me now.

With more and more streaming services coming every day and traditional viewing habits changing, I think ultimately the days of the licence fee are numbered and the BBC will have to become a fully-commercial organisation.

For me, for the cost of a cinema ticket per month, the licence fee still represents great value.

Mark

The beauty of the free market is that the consumer gets choice and you either adapt or die. There are simply better value services with wider ranges which don't alienate half of their viewers. They certainly don't insult and look down on them.

The BBC with its guaranteed billions has deliberately placed its prime time 'crap reality show' on at the exact same time as ITV's who have taken the huge financial investment to provide that show and has shareholders (including mon and pop investors and pension funds) to answer to. I'd say this is a disgraceful abuse of power.

I recall the upraor when another 'crap reality show' went to Channel 4. Oh how the luvvies were in uproar claiming people would stop watching it and demanding Aunty spend untold amounts to keep it on the hard left BBC. It seems to be doing just fine and people no longer need to watch Mel and Sue who openly insult brexiteers via their social media.

flipdewaf

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:19 am

sevenair wrote:

"The analysis seen by the Daily Express shows that BBC Question Time had 85 Remainers on its panel between January and July 2017 compared to just 36 Brexit supporters, even though leaving the EU has dominated most of the discussions.

From the 24 shows only one had a majority of Leave supporters and 22 had a majority of Remainers.

The analysis is the basis of a complaint to the watchdog Ofcom and has highlighted growing concerns over BBC bias with analysis of the Today programme earlier this year revealing that Remainers are more often invited to give their views"

Additionally a complaint was made to Ofcom by a viewer who found that 22 out of 25 shows had a majority remain panel. This was overturned by Ofcom because Dimbelby can magically make the show impartial despite the pre being 4 remoaners to one leaver and also Damien Green (who doesn't support Brexit) was allowed in one instance to put a pro Brexit message across. Out of the 25 shows complained about, they watched only two, one of which was in the aftermath of Manchester. Even Dimbelby himself has admitted to being shocked when every audience member he asked for comment appeared to be pro remain.

The BBC need to find experts to go on their panels for these programs from both industry and politics. It turns out that to be an expert in these areas generally requires a good level of education and understanding, and hence the reason for less Brexit supporters on these programs.

You know it might be funny to see some standard brexit supporters on the panel and see them not understanding that muslims aren't from the EU.

You know I think you night be right!

Fred

sevenair
Topic Author

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:30 am

flipdewaf wrote:
sevenair wrote:

The BBC need to find experts to go on their panels for these programs from both industry and politics. It turns out that to be an expert in these areas generally requires a good level of education and understanding, and hence the reason for less Brexit supporters on these programs.

You know it might be funny to see some standard brexit supporters on the panel and see them not understanding that muslims aren't from the EU.

Fred

Yawn.

Olddog

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:33 am

When your main source is the Express........

flipdewaf

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:43 am

sevenair wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
sevenair wrote:

Fred

Yawn.

You might be bored of facts but then we knew that of brexiteers already didn't we...

sevenair
Topic Author

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:55 am

Olddog wrote:
When your main source is the Express........

The Express is used as a genuine resource by remoaners on the Brexit thread so why not on here? Does it not happen just because it's in the Express (or the Daily Mail which all leftists are OBSESSED with!).

Here you go then. Same thing, different source. I'm loving the consistency of a.net!

http://news-watch.co.uk/ofcom-ruling-bb ... main-bias/

Here's the Ofcom response.

http://news-watch.co.uk/wp-content/uplo ... -reply.pdf

sevenair
Topic Author

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:59 am

flipdewaf wrote:
sevenair wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:

Fred

Yawn.

You might be bored of facts but then we knew that of brexiteers already didn't we...

The one and only fact you need to be concerned about is that we are leaving the EU!

Boom :)

vc10

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:07 am

I gave up watching "Question Time" a long time ago , long before the Brexit vote as the panelist were nearly all political figures who just spouted out their party line on whatever subject came up.
Although I think the BBC's programs have gone downhill over the years I still believe they are good value for money compared to other providers such as Sky or BT where you can end up paying may hundreds of pounds to watch their product. For your TV licence you get 2 national channels , local channels,
Radio channels , World service etc . At one time I can remember that if you had a fitted radio in your car you had to pay another separate radio licence, so that is why most people had no car radio or perhaps a portable set [ no licence]

sevenair
Topic Author

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:12 am

vc10 wrote:
I gave up watching "Question Time" a long time ago , long before the Brexit vote as the panelist were nearly all political figures who just spouted out their party line on whatever subject came up.
Although I think the BBC's programs have gone downhill over the years I still believe they are good value for money compared to other providers such as Sky or BT where you can end up paying may hundreds of pounds to watch their product. For your TV licence you get 2 national channels , local channels,
Radio channels , World service etc . At one time I can remember that if you had a fitted radio in your car you had to pay another separate radio licence, so that is why most people had no car radio or perhaps a portable set [ no licence]

That's good to hear. I'm not pretending that nobody likes the BBC but those who see value in it should be the ones paying for it. Netflix has much more content and is less than the BBC and Prime has lots of content and comes free with Prime membership. There's also a vast amount of content on YouTube. Yes there's a lot of 12 year old flying the world in first class or giving makeup tutorials, but there's actually a lot of good content.

RoySFlying

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:12 am

sevenair wrote:
News has a hard left slant

Oh, I know what you mean, luvvie. It really went to the dogs when they renamed themselves the Bolshevik Broadcasting Commissariat, and newsreaders began the news with "Good evening, comrades." Saint Margaret of Finchley must be turning in her grave after all she did to liberate Britain from those dastardly Soviets.

sevenair
Topic Author

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:13 am

RoySFlying wrote:
sevenair wrote:
News has a hard left slant

Oh, I know what you mean, luvvie. It really went to the dogs when they renamed themselves the Bolshevik Broadcasting Commissariat, and newsreaders began the news with "Good evening, comrades." Saint Margaret of Finchley must be turning in her grave after all she did to liberate Britain from those dastardly Soviets.

When a channel is unashamedly pro labour and we take a look at modern labour, I'd say there's absolutely a commie slant on our state media. Get rid of it.

flipdewaf

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:18 am

sevenair wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
sevenair wrote:

Yawn.

The one and only fact you need to be concerned about is that we are leaving the EU!

I am aware that we are leaving the EU, I don't live under a rock. The issue is your lack of understanding on why there is more remainers on the BBC. Its like trying to find scientists that back up each side of the Climate change debate when the overwhelming majority of those in the know are on one side. The same with brexit debates. If you want people who understand it then they all fall on one side of the debate, if you want people who are pro brexit then there are very few who are not ignorant to the facts who are also pro brexit,

Unfortunately there is a good chance that for those demographics with the higher propensity to vote leave will be most adversely affected by it. Well educated professionals are by and large going to have a reduced negative impact in comparison.

Fred

sevenair
Topic Author

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:20 am

flipdewaf

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:20 am

sevenair wrote:
I'd say there's absolutely a commie slant on our state media. Get rid of it.
Keep going!!! If you are lucky you might get your own show in the old Bernard Manning slot!

RoySFlying

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:23 am

sevenair wrote:

O I know, dear. I understand that Corbyn is drafting instructions to conduct a census of spoons and forks so that they can be nationalised. Imagine, decent British cutlery is no longer safe from the clutches of the state and those communists acting under instructions from Brussels.

sevenair
Topic Author

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:24 am

flipdewaf wrote:
sevenair wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:

I am aware that we are leaving the EU, I don't live under a rock. The issue is your lack of understanding on why there is more remainers on the BBC. Its like trying to find scientists that back up each side of the Climate change debate when the overwhelming majority of those in the know are on one side. The same with brexit debates. If you want people who understand it then they all fall on one side of the debate, if you want people who are pro brexit then there are very few who are not ignorant to the facts who are also pro brexit,

Unfortunately there is a good chance that for those demographics with the higher propensity to vote leave will be most adversely affected by it. Well educated professionals are by and large going to have a reduced negative impact in comparison.

Fred

When you apply to be an audience member you're quizzed as your political beliefs and views on Brexit. Yet somehow the been manages to find more remoaners even in leave areas.

More people than ever voted to leave the EU than have voted for anything yet the BBC somehow struggles to find panel members that are balanced.

I also find it peculiar how EVERY single entertainer these days is anti Trump, anti Tory and anti Brexit. I'm not aware of any correlation between intelligence and being a performer. Given that performers tend to be from a fairly wide range of backgrounds, isn't it strange how they all fit into a very narrow set of opinions.

sevenair
Topic Author

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:26 am

flipdewaf wrote:
sevenair wrote:
Keep going!!! If you are lucky you might get your own show in the old Bernard Manning slot!

399 days to go! I've got my red, white and blue bunting ready for Independence Day.

VSMUT

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:39 am

sevenair wrote:
If 50% +1 vote a particular way then I’d expect a fairly balanced view just as I’d expect if some vote result was 52/48 in favour of something however the BBC ignore the 52 and appease the 48.

So what you are saying is... :duck:
If 50%+1 vote for blowing a hole in the bottom of the ship to sink it, the BBC should present the news of the sinking ship as something good? Have you considered that sinking your own ship might not be a good thing, and that you can't possibly report anything good on it?

tommy1808

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:52 am

flipdewaf wrote:
Its like trying to find scientists that back up each side of the Climate change debate when the overwhelming majority of those in the know are on one side. The same with brexit debates. If you want people who understand it then they all fall on one side of the debate, if you want people who are pro brexit then there are very few who are not ignorant to the facts who are also pro brexit,

and it is a game they can only lose, if they invited enough pro-Brexiteers to those panels, i am sure you can dig some up. Only that them being embarrassed by their lack of knowledge about the issues at hand is than going to be used to proof how biased they are, only inviting idiots for the Brexit side.

sevenair wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
sevenair wrote:

399 days to go! I've got my red, white and blue bunting ready for Independence Day.

I guess some people will celebrate "independence" as a theoretical value while ignoring that it means having much less influence on their destiny in the real world.

But then again, we have you, insisting that the EU shouldn´t protect its outside borders in order for the UK getting control over its border back........ there are two nations on this planet that matter all by themselves. None of them is in Europe. When the rest of the world is done dictating the new trade agreements to the UK, you´ll see what i mean.

best regards
Thomas

sevenair
Topic Author

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:53 am

VSMUT wrote:
sevenair wrote:
If 50% +1 vote a particular way then I’d expect a fairly balanced view just as I’d expect if some vote result was 52/48 in favour of something however the BBC ignore the 52 and appease the 48.

If 50%+1 vote for blowing a hole in the bottom of the ship to sink it, the BBC should present the news of the sinking ship as something good? Have you considered that sinking your own ship might not be a good thing, and that you can't possibly report anything good on it?

That's the thing. In YOUR opinion it was a vote to blow a hole in the bottom of the ship. What qualifies you to make this assumption and what qualifies the BBC to also make this assumption and what gives them the right to ignore the fact that by an 8% margin (one measured in the millions) and ignore their views despite the fact that they're meant to be impartial?

flipdewaf

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:53 am

VSMUT wrote:
sevenair wrote:

It's like a religion, people think facts can be voted on whether they are true or not. You know in a recent inmate survey 3 out of 4 people thought gang rape wasn't a problem

sevenair wrote:
And then what...

tommy1808

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:55 am

flipdewaf wrote:
And then what...

same old, same old.... it is the EU´s fault.

And when the UK comes around and rejoins the EU, Euro, Schengen and all, it will be "the EU sanctioned us into re-joining" of something like that.

best regards
Thomas

cpd

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:56 am

sevenair wrote:

It's time to end the TV tax. Those who use the BBC and have their views represented by the BBC should pay for the BBC.

https://news.sky.com/story/tv-licence-fee-to-rise-for-second-year-running-11262023

If you really reckon BBC is hard left, you don't know what hard left is. Hard right on the other hand would be Sky and Murdoch's other outlets.

The hard left and hard right (I'm guessing you are the far right) as so far out of touch with reality it isn't funny. They live in their own alternate worlds with highly distorted views of the world that are so far removed from the realities that the rest of us in the normal middle ground face daily, it's just laughable. I'm sick of both of the far left and far right.

sevenair wrote:

I rest my case at this point - I needn't say anything further.

VSMUT

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:03 am

sevenair wrote:
What qualifies you to make this assumption and what qualifies the BBC to also make this assumption and what gives them the right to ignore the fact that by an 8% margin (one measured in the millions) and ignore their views despite the fact that they're meant to be impartial?

Because the bloody thing is sinking, and that is an observation and not an assumption?

sevenair
Topic Author

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:06 am

cpd wrote:
sevenair wrote:

If you really reckon BBC is hard left, you don't know what hard left is. Hard right on the other hand would be Sky and Murdoch's other outlets.

The hard left and hard right (I'm guessing you are the far right) as so far out of touch with reality it isn't funny. They live in their own alternate worlds with highly distorted views of the world that are so far removed from the realities that the rest of us in the normal middle ground face daily, it's just laughable. I'm sick of both of the far left and far right.

sevenair wrote:

Well, I'm right of Michael Moore therefore of course I'm far right, in the eyes of a.net!

Sky News is hard remain. But that's a commercial channel which I can choose to watch or not. What is it you lefties say about 'it's a private company and can do what it wants'?

The BBC is means to be impartial. Everyone pays for it yet less than half of people get their views catered for.

You and I know full well if the BBC did side with the majority and was pro Brexit, the left would be in an absolute uproar.

sevenair
Topic Author

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:07 am

VSMUT wrote:
sevenair wrote:
What qualifies you to make this assumption and what qualifies the BBC to also make this assumption and what gives them the right to ignore the fact that by an 8% margin (one measured in the millions) and ignore their views despite the fact that they're meant to be impartial?

Because the bloody thing is sinking, and that is an observation and not an assumption?

In what way is it sinking?

VSMUT

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:16 am

sevenair wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
sevenair wrote:

In what way is it sinking?

That way that the pound has dropped in value, highly skilled brits (and good taxpayers) are seeking ways to leave the UK and stay in the EU, that large employers are seeking to relocated to the mainland, that your vegetables are rotting in the fields, that your economy is suffering to the extent that you are cutting your military to an all time low, that you will lose all influence in the European Union, that you will have to adopt every single EU law and regulation in order to trade with us, and that you may even have to pay membership dues of what amounts to a full price membership to achieve it (not just your current discounted membership fees).

cpd

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:27 am

sevenair wrote:
cpd wrote:
sevenair wrote:

sevenair wrote:

Well, I'm right of Michael Moore therefore of course I'm far right, in the eyes of a.net!

Sky News is hard remain. But that's a commercial channel which I can choose to watch or not. What is it you lefties say about 'it's a private company and can do what it wants'?

The BBC is means to be impartial. Everyone pays for it yet less than half of people get their views catered for.

You and I know full well if the BBC did side with the majority and was pro Brexit, the left would be in an absolute uproar.

Did you forget to read the bit where I lambasted both the left and the right wing?

The reality is that no politician is to be trusted. I'm completely fed up with all sides of politics.

flipdewaf

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:39 am

sevenair wrote:

Indeed it would and the BBC's job is to be impartial not to regurgitate the views of the nation.

being impartial means looking at the facts objectively and not being swayed by public opinion. The fact that the facts are at odds with the opinion of the majority does not deem them untrue. You seem to have a misunderstanding of impartiality.

Fred

sevenair
Topic Author

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:39 am

hat way is it sink way that the pound has dropped in value,

-The pound was often touted as being over valued. It has largely recovered against the dollar (yes in part due to the fall in the value of the $ but the net result is the same), still some recovery on € to go but € is performing quite strongly

highly skilled brits (and good taxpayers) are seeking ways to leave the UK and stay in the EU

-No evidence of this. Our NHS has actually increased the amount of skilled and clinical staff since the vote. We still attracted 100,000 in terms of net migration

that large employers are seeking to relocated to the mainland

-Moving admin centres perhaps. easyJet has opened an office in EU. Main ops still in UK. Several large companies have located to UK or increased UK presence. AstraZeneca are still building their largest facility here in the UK

that your vegetables are rotting in the fields,

-No, they really aren't. Since 1945 we had temp visas for agri workers. We still have them for Bulgarian and Romanian workers. If the need is there we can simply role out the scheme to all countries.

that your economy is suffering to the extent that you are cutting your military to an all time low,

-We are still on of the few countries who pay our NATO dues. It's been a long time since we went it alone with large scale military action. Our military spend is actually higher than it was in 2000. It has fallen as a % of our GDP but It has nothing to do with Brexit as it's been falling since 2008.

Our economy is growing at very similar levels of France and Germany over the last two years as a whole. We have added jobs. Employment is at record highs. House prices are growing. People are still coming to the UK to work and set up business.

that you will lose all influence in the European Union,

-Our influence is much diminished. Over the last 10 years we are on the 'losing' side in 12-14% of incidents. As we will no loonger be part of the EU I don't see how this matters. With a larger ever expanding EU our voice is set to diminish further.

that you will have to adopt every single EU law and regulation in order to trade with us,

-We already do comply with all EU standards for goods we send there. Nobody is better set up to trade with the EU than a former EU member. All goods sent to all countries must be compatible with the country which they're being sent to. This isn't an EU specific issue.

and that you may even have to pay membership dues of what amounts to a full price membership to achieve it (not just your current discounted membership fees).

-We are still one of the biggest net contributors to the EU budget. How much does Canada pay for access to the SM? Nobody knows what deal we will end up with.