WarRI1
Topic Author

Companies start to abandon NRA

Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:01 am

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... cott-calls

At last, some, some movement and company action to reign in the NRA. The politicians may just take notice of this way past due actions. When it hits the pocketbook, they and us tend to notice. Our corrupt system, you have to love it. A joke there folks.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

NIKV69

Re: Companies start to abandon NRA

Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:05 am

Sad to see thuggery and intimidation succeeding but again like I said the NRA is not nearly as powerful as you make them out to be and has little to do with Americans who want their rights preserved. If you think weak kneed companies caving to anarchy will lead to any sort of gun grab well not much you can do I guess.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

CCGPV

Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:08 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Sad to see thuggery and intimidation succeeding but again like I said the NRA is not nearly as powerful as you make them out to be and has little to do with Americans who want their rights preserved. If you think weak kneed companies caving to anarchy will lead to any sort of gun grab well not much you can do I guess.

While I'm no fan of mob-style boycotts I can see why people are growing tired of the NRA and their MO.

A lot of people who are very pro gun are fed up with the way the NRA has been doing business for a while. I'm not a gun owner but just seeing them in the news and watching some of their online content (which is really badly produced), speeches, and commercials they come across borderline crazy. If you haven't I suggest you watch some of their TV content...if you didn't know you might mistake a lot of it for the Ruby Ridge type paranoia and "tacticool" mindset.
I have all day.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:15 am

NIKV69 wrote:

An abhorrent reply if you are accusing children of thuggery. They are exercising their rights of peaceful Demonstration. Where do you come from, an alternate universe??

ltbewr

Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:47 am

Businesses are far too often tone deaf in their dealings, but sometimes they have to fire, remove or distance themselves from certain people, other businesses or as here organizations like the NRA if they become financially negative to them. We have seen businesses damaged or even ruined by marketing, business practices or employee acts of racism, sexual abuse, and other offensive behaviors. Although building up for several years, in a few weeks we have seen, finally, a tipping point in general public opinion as to the NRA and in turn on consumers putting pressure on businesses affiliated with the NRA. The NRA has become distant from its original intentions, becoming seen as a tool of gun makers, over protective to the 2nd Amendment, ignoring and bashing common sense gun regulations, that offends many, not unlike a White Supremacists group.
The bank that issued an affinity Visa card and the rental car group that are in the process of concluding their continuing affiliation with special offers and benefits with the NRA's members are making a business decision, fearing that continuing them will hurt them financially. In the end, money or loss of money is a powerful motivator to force change.

NIKV69

Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:51 am

WarRI1 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

An abhorrent reply if you are accusing children of thuggery. They are exercising their rights of peaceful Demonstration. Where do you come from, an alternate universe??

The children are props here and are being used by the MSM and hard left zealots in congress to try to get European style gun laws passed in the US. These companies are not caving because of kids. Have you been watching television for the last week? :banghead:

wingman

Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:54 am

Who's talking "gun grab" NIK? Where do you come up with this shit? Christ man, give Hannity and your daily NRA talking points a rest. What millions of Americans and now millions of kids are asking for is dialogue around meaningful regulation and limiting this insane distribution of guns and rifles to anyone that wants one. And cut that damn gun show loophole, what a fucking joke that is, 100% paid for by the NRA.

casinterest

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:19 am

NIKV69 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

The children are props here and are being used by the MSM and hard left zealots in congress to try to get European style gun laws passed in the US. These companies are not caving because of kids. Have you been watching television for the last week? :banghead:

Those kids have had a closer brush with their mortality than most of the population. They are not being used by the MSM. They are pressing on with what they believe is a great injustice. Especially as the NRA and their paid for elected officials continue to push thoughts and prayers for the dead. The time is now for change, and waiting for the "right" time will never come with such blind money being fed from the NRA coffers into those that just don't care about lives. The continued push by lying frauds of the NRA that ASSAULT rifles are some sort of mainstream right to bear arms, is an afront to others right to life and liberty. Perhaps NRA members believe Assault is a natural right, but Assault is a crime in the real world.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

NIKV69

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:27 am

wingman wrote:
Who's talking "gun grab" NIK? Where do you come up with this shit? Christ man, give Hannity and your daily NRA talking points a rest. What millions of Americans and now millions of kids are asking for is dialogue around meaningful regulation and limiting this insane distribution of guns and rifles to anyone that wants one. And cut that damn gun show loophole, what a fucking joke that is, 100% paid for by the NRA.

I don't watch Fox and happen to think Hannity is an idiot. Again as I have stated numerous times there are moderates out there that don't want their rights to own a gun infringed. That doesn't automatically make us far right whacks. Even though that is your context.

I own a rifle that fires the same ammo as the AR-15 and is a semi auto. What is the difference? So by the law my rifle will be illegal. The term "assault type" is made up by CNN and MSNBC and it's also a way to begin a ban on certain type of weapons.

You want full auto illegal? Fine. Bump stocks? Fine. Gun show loophole? Fine etc but when you get to banning my rifle and other semi autos I am drawing the line. There is more than enough evidence that Feinstein and others like her would push Europe like legislation if they had the votes. She is on record saying it. Just because congressman and woman that oppose it doesn't mean they are beholden to the NRA doesn't mean I am beholden to them. It means we are going to stand up for the forces that wish to suppress our freedoms because it's politically advantageous. If you want to deny that is happening then you are not being honest.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:36 am

NIKV69 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

You know I can take a joke with the best of them, but please let us know are you trolling ? I cannot for the life of me understand your points , they do not compute. Always the conspiracy theories, always MSM. You and others always have to create a plot against anything you do not believe in or when you and tRump meet opposition.

Take it like a man, the NRA is widely hated, we know what they stand for and if children have to die, so be it as long as their agenda of wielding power is met. They use Patriotism as a club. They go on and on about 5 million members when we have 320 million people in this country. Now you have had your way with the NRA corrupting our government, now maybe that is finally changing and again you cannot rationally reply to the criticism. Children are dying in this country because of NRA policies and many other factors. Deal with it, I have children and grandchildren, for God's sake admit something, maybe you are wrong. We know tRump cannot admit defeat, nor take blame. Are you his Clone? Nothing like an Independent thinker, try being one.

MaverickM11

Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:55 am

NIKV69 wrote:

Continuing the long proud right wing tradition of torturing the suffering victims of a tragedy I see.... no more tide pods for you!

casinterest wrote:
Those kids have had a closer brush with their mortality than most of the population.

...and certainly closer than the vast majority of gun nuts who think they'd turn into (a young, more limber, but just as racist and crazy) Steven Seagal in a similar situation
E pur si muove -Galileo

Jouhou

Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:35 am

NIKV69 wrote:
wingman wrote:

I don't watch Fox and happen to think Hannity is an idiot. Again as I have stated numerous times there are moderates out there that don't want their rights to own a gun infringed. That doesn't automatically make us far right whacks. Even though that is your context.

I own a rifle that fires the same ammo as the AR-15 and is a semi auto. What is the difference? So by the law my rifle will be illegal. The term "assault type" is made up by CNN and MSNBC and it's also a way to begin a ban on certain type of weapons.

You want full auto illegal? Fine. Bump stocks? Fine. Gun show loophole? Fine etc but when you get to banning my rifle and other semi autos I am drawing the line. There is more than enough evidence that Feinstein and others like her would push Europe like legislation if they had the votes. She is on record saying it. Just because congressman and woman that oppose it doesn't mean they are beholden to the NRA doesn't mean I am beholden to them. It means we are going to stand up for the forces that wish to suppress our freedoms because it's politically advantageous. If you want to deny that is happening then you are not being honest.

I think using the term "MSM" tends to make people think you watch Fox news because they rail on the "MSM" (which is insanely ironic considering they are the most mainstream of media outlets in the US).

Anyways, the gun rights debate is NOT a partisan issue. The NRA itself has made it partisan by labeling those who oppose guns "liberals". Where I live, after the latest shooting, I've heard more conservatives in support of gun control than liberals. I'm hearing liberals(and I'm not talking about libertarians) go on tirades about their constitutional rights etc. I'm not sure why the gun lobby backed themselves into a partisan corner like that.

NIKV69

Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:41 am

WarRI1 wrote:

You know I can take a joke with the best of them, but please let us know are you trolling ? I cannot for the life of me understand your points , they do not compute. Always the conspiracy theories, always MSM. You and others always have to create a plot against anything you do not believe in or when you and tRump meet opposition.

Take it like a man, the NRA is widely hated, we know what they stand for and if children have to die, so be it as long as their agenda of wielding power is met. They use Patriotism as a club. They go on and on about 5 million members when we have 320 million people in this country. Now you have had your way with the NRA corrupting our government, now maybe that is finally changing and again you cannot rationally reply to the criticism. Children are dying in this country because of NRA policies and many other factors. Deal with it, I have children and grandchildren, for God's sake admit something, maybe you are wrong. We know tRump cannot admit defeat, nor take blame. Are you his Clone? Nothing like an Independent thinker, try being one.

I can't help the fact that you are blinded by propaganda. That is something you must wade through.

I will try to explain it so you can understand. If you want to ban bump stocks, full autos fine. Raise the age to 21 to get certain weapons fine. Background checks. gun show loophole etc.

I do have to draw the line when you say ban all semi auto weapons which is where the base of the democratic party is going. The NRA is a popular straw man and its always easy to hate them and say they have an "agenda". Fact is they don't have an agenda. They just don't want gun owners rights infringed and they are not afraid to say it since they will be grouped into a villain with others who don't want their rights infringed because these kids have lived through a tragedy.

I am sorry for their loss and sorry they had to go through what they did but it doesn't give them free reign to trash me and my rights. Neither them nor CNN or any far left whacko will take my guns. Over my dead body.

Jouhou

Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:53 am

NIKV69 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

I can't help the fact that you are blinded by propaganda. That is something you must wade through.

I will try to explain it so you can understand. If you want to ban bump stocks, full autos fine. Raise the age to 21 to get certain weapons fine. Background checks. gun show loophole etc.

I do have to draw the line when you say ban all semi auto weapons which is where the base of the democratic party is going. The NRA is a popular straw man and its always easy to hate them and say they have an "agenda". Fact is they don't have an agenda. They just don't want gun owners rights infringed and they are not afraid to say it since they will be grouped into a villain with others who don't want their rights infringed because these kids have lived through a tragedy.

I am sorry for their loss and sorry they had to go through what they did but it doesn't give them free reign to trash me and my rights. Neither them nor CNN or any far left whacko will take my guns. Over my dead body.

*sigh* CNN isn't partisan, it's sensationalist. Well, it wasn't partisan until the right started demonizing them. Remember 2016? Hillary? Emails(ughhhh)? They just want to grab attention.

And once again, not a partisan issue. NRA is partisan, not gun ownership. There are non-NRA gun advocacy groups that liberal gun owners have turned to. I just need to make this clear, since a.net is an international website. Europeans aren't understanding the cultural aspect of the US and their guns. It's good to have a full and accurate picture of what's going on so we aren't debating things that are myths in the first place.

Kiwirob

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:49 am

CCGPV wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

While I'm no fan of mob-style boycotts I can see why people are growing tired of the NRA and their MO.

A lot of people who are very pro gun are fed up with the way the NRA has been doing business for a while. I'm not a gun owner but just seeing them in the news and watching some of their online content (which is really badly produced), speeches, and commercials they come across borderline crazy. If you haven't I suggest you watch some of their TV content...if you didn't know you might mistake a lot of it for the Ruby Ridge type paranoia and "tacticool" mindset.

I wouldn’t bother responding to NIKV69 he’s borderline crazy and believes in the NRA.

JJJ

Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:54 am

NIKV69 wrote:

You want full auto illegal? Fine. Bump stocks? Fine. Gun show loophole? Fine etc but when you get to banning my rifle and other semi autos I am drawing the line. There is more than enough evidence that Feinstein and others like her would push Europe like legislation if they had the votes.

If it makes you feel more at ease, AR-style guns are legal in most of Europe.

They're capacity-limited in most countries, though.

Aesma

Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:26 pm

Jouhou wrote:
I think using the term "MSM" tends to make people think you watch Fox news because they rail on the "MSM" (which is insanely ironic considering they are the most mainstream of media outlets in the US).

Anyways, the gun rights debate is NOT a partisan issue. The NRA itself has made it partisan by labeling those who oppose guns "liberals". Where I live, after the latest shooting, I've heard more conservatives in support of gun control than liberals. I'm hearing liberals(and I'm not talking about libertarians) go on tirades about their constitutional rights etc. I'm not sure why the gun lobby backed themselves into a partisan corner like that.

To add on that, Obama get mentioned a lot for not having done enough, despite clearly not having the congress to do it. "Conservatives" should worry about the day they lose enough elections to others, because that day "sensible" gun control laws might not be on the table anymore.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aesma

Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:52 pm

JJJ wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

You want full auto illegal? Fine. Bump stocks? Fine. Gun show loophole? Fine etc but when you get to banning my rifle and other semi autos I am drawing the line. There is more than enough evidence that Feinstein and others like her would push Europe like legislation if they had the votes.

If it makes you feel more at ease, AR-style guns are legal in most of Europe.

They're capacity-limited in most countries, though.

I can't say I have an interest in these but I just checked and indeed you can buy/own an AR-15 in France. You need to jump through several hoops of course, and it can't fire more than 3 shots without reloading.

Interestingly enough, for handguns the capacity limit is 20 (+1 in the chamber). Of course you also need to jump through hoops, but either you can't own a handgun/revolver, or you can and the limit is 21. More than that is considered a military weapon and illegal.

Carrying is still another story, unless you need protection (public figure having received death threats, typically) you can't carry, the gun/rifle must be in a case, disabled, whenever it's out of your safe at home or out of the gun range.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

jetero

Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:16 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Again as I have stated numerous times there are moderates out there that don't want their rights to own a gun infringed. That doesn't automatically make us far right whacks.

No, this makes you a "far right whack":

NIKV69 wrote:

NIKV69 wrote:
The children are props here and are being used by the MSM and hard left zealots in congress to try to get European style gun laws passed in the US. These companies are not caving because of kids. Have you been watching television for the last week?

NIKV69 wrote:

WIederling

Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:24 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
... but again like I said the NRA is not nearly as powerful as you make them out to be.

Looking at the "well organized" aspect of the pro gun group, I am rather certain there exists a a central manage/control nexus.

That well organized/controlled aspect is what usually indicates some remote controlled fake grass roots movement.
( same for the color revolutions.) right leaning people are much more susceptible to getting caught in this than
"real (TM) lefties". Not the softener restyled moderate right leaning people going as Liberals.
Murphy is an optimist

N174UA

Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:32 pm

How effective, financially or otherwise, are these boycotts in the long-term, anyway? What to say that 6-9 months from now, these companies that are publicly cutting ties (like Delta did this morning) with the NRA won't quietly reinstate the discounts? It seems after some "event" occurs that shocks everyone, there is an immediate desire to find a person or organization to target, and make a spectacle about it, and then it quietly goes away and replaced with other news and events.

Remember last year, after the Dr. Dao incident on United Express? Rather than gathering all of the facts first, there was a lynch mob mentality in the media, United was instantly made the target of boycotts, and CEO Oscar Munoz had a target on his head with some calling for his immediate resignation. But as time passed, it fell out of the news. How many of the people and high profile companies with corporate discounts who called for and joined the boycotts then, still boycott United? Or did they quietly go back?

tommy1808

Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:37 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
will take my guns. Over my dead body.

And another "law abiding gun owner" on record that he only intends to abide laws he likes.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

jetero

Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:41 pm

N174UA wrote:
How effective, financially or otherwise, are these boycotts in the long-term, anyway?

I'd hardly call the removal of discounts a "boycott."

einsteinboricua

Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:42 pm

I like going to The Hill's Facebook page and seeing all the conservatives blame all this on Obama, Clinton, and Soros.

Can someone please point me to Soros's contact information? I want to audition for his next paid protest.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

einsteinboricua

Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:46 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
And another "law abiding gun owner" on record that he only intends to abide laws he likes.

The irony can't be any more evident. The "law abiding gun owners" are protesting that they're being shunned because of the few kooks affiliated and emboldened by the NRA; these same "law abiding gun owners" are likely the same people that generalize that all Muslims should do more to prevent radical islamic terrorism and that they shouldn't get any preferential treatment whatsoever.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Aesma

Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:23 pm

N174UA wrote:
How effective, financially or otherwise, are these boycotts in the long-term, anyway? What to say that 6-9 months from now, these companies that are publicly cutting ties (like Delta did this morning) with the NRA won't quietly reinstate the discounts? It seems after some "event" occurs that shocks everyone, there is an immediate desire to find a person or organization to target, and make a spectacle about it, and then it quietly goes away and replaced with other news and events.

The difference is that these "significant" shootings happen several times a year in the US, so there will be no time for it to go away.

N174UA

Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:49 pm

jetero wrote:
N174UA wrote:
How effective, financially or otherwise, are these boycotts in the long-term, anyway?

Oh...so what is the politically correct safe word, then? This "movement" started with the "#BoycottNRA" .... and these companies are responding to that, largely out of public pressure and to keep out of the negative spotlight themselves.

What exactly is being boycotted? The NRA doesn't actually sell any guns, or any other service, for that matter. So how will we know if this "boycott" has been successful? What do the backers (George $oro$) hope to accomplish in the end?

And while we're on the subject:

How about the public calls to abandon movies that contain gratuitous violence that kids and young adults watch?

How about those violent video games that promote mass killing death and contain gruesome violence that desensitize viewers ?

How about the violent lyrics in rap music and other songs that promote violence against law enforcement?

MSPNWA

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:06 pm

What enlightening to me in this thread is that the NRA members had some sort of discount with these companies. Some of the discounts appear to be very limited. The net effect on the NRA will be minute to none, or maybe positive. I can't think of many NRA members signing up just for these discounts. Maybe the credit card loss will make a dent, but that seems small. If anything these companies will only spur more people to join the NRA. Basically they're caving and trying to save themselves, not actually making a difference.

tommy1808

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:06 pm

N174UA wrote:
jetero wrote:
N174UA wrote:

Oh...so what is the politically correct safe word, then? This "movement" started with the "#BoycottNRA" .... and these companies are responding to that, largely out of public pressure and to keep out of the negative spotlight themselves.

They are executing their first and fifth ammendment rights, they have the right to boycott any compay or organisation for any reason at any time.
The NRA misrepresentations the 2nd ammendment, and the boycott is to reduce the NRA's ability to so by going after their funding.

They are just patriots protecting and preserving the constitution that the NRA tries to subvert, fairly successfully so far. The self admitting NRA members/sympathisers on this forum are pretty much all on record that their guns can only be taken from their dead hands, i.e. they plan to commit crimes if the law is ever something they dsagree with.

That secret society formed around the NRA, ready to overthrow the legal US government by force, shall they pass laws they don't like is basically preparing for a coup and at least people are voting against treason with their money.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

DLFREEBIRD

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:31 pm

On official DL employee message board i frequent. we can't discuss that Delta no longer giving the discount to NRA members. It's ridiculous, that employee's can be trusted not to troll other employee's who don't agree with DL decision and /or be respectful of other employee ideology without calling fellow employee's names. The board monitor is taking down every single post put up, instead of just censoring people who are out of control. When asked why, they said that he feared that people would lose their jobs Personally if they can't control themselves on a employee board, they shouldn't be employed by delta is my thoughts. Especially over a discount that doesn't mean anything to them personally or financially.

dmg626

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:38 pm

Knee jerk feel good response from companies that have minimal dealings with the NRA. Monday morning news cycle will start a new outrage of the week, some crisis somewhere or Kaitlin wants to become Bruce again.

jetero

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:40 pm

N174UA wrote:
jetero wrote:
N174UA wrote:

What exactly is being boycotted? The NRA doesn't actually sell any guns, or any other service, for that matter. So how will we know if this "boycott" has been successful? What do the backers (George $oro$) hope to accomplish in the end?

N174UA, I am speaking to the article that was posted on Delta and United. It is clear that the steps that those companies are taking is to essentially end group discounts. Some people may be "boycotting" (whatever that means--I certainly don't know) but Delta and United aren't boycotting anything, as you stated.

Regarding "George $oro$," if you want to share any link that says that he's directly involved in this, please do. Otherwise he's just a right-wing bogeyman. (Do you think he should not be allowed to support political movements financially? Hey I'm fine with that, but for every liberal "George $oro$" (isn't that cute . . . so creative you are!) there are probably 10 Koch brothers.)

N174UA wrote:
[And while we're on the subject:

How about the public calls to abandon movies that contain gratuitous violence that kids and young adults watch?

How about those violent video games that promote mass killing death and contain gruesome violence that desensitize viewers ?

How about the violent lyrics in rap music and other songs that promote violence against law enforcement?

N174UA the rhetorical fallacy you are guilty of here is known as a "false equivalency," which right-wingers are well-versed in. If you want to discuss the topics above, let's discuss them. (I suspect you don't really care in the end.) Just because they're not being discussed doesn't mean one can't support increased gun control measures.
Last edited by jetero on Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jetero

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:42 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
What enlightening to me in this thread is that the NRA members had some sort of discount with these companies. Some of the discounts appear to be very limited. The net effect on the NRA will be minute to none, or maybe positive. I can't think of many NRA members signing up just for these discounts. Maybe the credit card loss will make a dent, but that seems small. If anything these companies will only spur more people to join the NRA. Basically they're caving and trying to save themselves, not actually making a difference.

I agree with you on the relative efficacy of this so-called "boycott."

But this is more symbolic than anything else.

Hannity and Limbaugh do it all the time.

NIKV69

Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:35 pm

tommy1808 wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

Not to worry the law you wish of will never be passed so it's moot. Though if any gun grab was ever attempted I shudder to think of the consequences. Hopefully the Bundy's and Ruby Ridge have taught us something. .

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
On official DL employee message board i frequent. we can't discuss that Delta no longer giving the discount to NRA members. It's ridiculous, that employee's can be trusted not to troll other employee's who don't agree with DL decision and /or be respectful of other employee ideology without calling fellow employee's names. The board monitor is taking down every single post put up, instead of just censoring people who are out of control. When asked why, they said that he feared that people would lose their jobs Personally if they can't control themselves on a employee board, they shouldn't be employed by delta is my thoughts. Especially over a discount that doesn't mean anything to them personally or financially.

It sure is.

MaverickM11 wrote:
Continuing the long proud right wing tradition of torturing the suffering victims of a tragedy I see.... no more tide pods for you!

Such drama but again way off base. CNN used them for their gain. Some of the kids tried to think for themselves but CNN prevented them from havinga voice at the town hall. If you want to deny CNN uses these people for their own socialist gain then go right ahead but the facts speak otherwise. Not to mention it was their generation that was eating laundry detergent. Not mine.

Aesma

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:24 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

Not to worry the law you wish of will never be passed so it's moot.

So you think you will always have the majority in your country ? Do you even have the majority today ?

Turbofanfan

Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:46 pm

I am from the Netherlands, a tiny nation of 17 million people, and here there are a plethora of political parties and factions that alternate between fighting eachother and working together depending on the political climate and issue at hand. Meanwhile in a nation of 321 million people every single issue goes no further than us versus them.

I am perfectly aware that I'm complying with the lofty European stereotype right now but there you have it. The US people should realise for once that ruling is about making compromises.

By the way, there has been one single mass shooting in the Netherlands in modern history. Perpetrated by a guy with a documented history of mental illness and suicidal tendencies. He fired more than 100 rounds in a shopping centre with a legally owned (!) AR-15 style weapon. My point being that there will always be crazy ***holes but that that doesn't mean you can't greatly diminish the chances of them doing the damage we see happening in the USA on a tragically common basis.

DDR

Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:56 pm

Aesma wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

Not to worry the law you wish of will never be passed so it's moot.

So you think you will always have the majority in your country ? Do you even have the majority today ?

Never is a very long time. I think you are wrong. Even you should admit that SOMETHING has to change. We cannot just keep having children killed at their schools. Also, every gun lover I have ever met always brings up the fact that it is written that we "have the right to bear arms." I think the writers of the constitution meant something completely different.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:39 am

NIKV69 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

Now we are getting somewhere, but tell that to the NRA, not me and that would be a great start. I assume you belong?

Who said that? There have been semi-automatic weapons around for years, 22 cal even when I was younger. No problem with them from me. Now an AR 15 shooting 223's is a different story, especially with a steel core and again that is another story, we are not fighting a war are we? Hmmmn!

Wow! Some feelings expressed. Maybe if you watched your classmates gunned down like pins in a bowling alley and saw the horrific scene and the wounds after, maybe just maybe you would not blame the children for reacting as they are. I will not even touch on the torment of parents who lost their children, and children who lost Siblings.

I also wonder where and how we will lose our rights to own guns as it is spelled out in the 2nd amendment. Not easy to change the Constitution is it? Remember I am a gun owner probably longer than you are alive and I have no problem with changes that will help save our children and us from madmen. Weapons of war belong in a war, or a war museum, not in the hands of children and wackos and wannabe big shots. I do not need a weapon of war like that to prove that I have balls, or am a manly man. I know I am.

blueflyer

Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:53 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Fine etc but when you get to banning my rifle and other semi autos I am drawing the line.

Why?
It's a genuine question, I would like to understand why you are ok with banning full autos, but not semi autos.

N174UA wrote:
How effective, financially or otherwise, are these boycotts in the long-term, anyway? What to say that 6-9 months from now, these companies that are publicly cutting ties (like Delta did this morning) with the NRA won't quietly reinstate the discounts?

I’m not sure they’re that effective. I don’t think the average member joined the NRA for the privilege of carrying an NRA-branded credit card, or to save $10 on their airfare the one year they choose to attend the national convention. A boycott of the NRA isn’t what is going to keep gun manufacturers awake. The threat of a boycott from the finance industry does, however.

In 2015, Bank of America decided to stop making loans to coal mining companies in the US and abroad, and other banks followed suit. Mining companies’ cost of capital did go up as a result.

Very quietly, BofA has announced today that it is reviewing its relationship with manufacturers of assault rifles sold to the public. Some pension funds are also considering putting pressure on Schwab, Vanguard, and the likes to stop investing in gun manufacturers. The same manufacturers that invested heavily to keep up with an expected increase in demand that didn’t come when Trump defeated Clinton, really don’t need a shrinking pool of financial resources now.

If by boycotting is how you envision change happening, don't ask Delta to drop its relationship with the NRA, call Fidelity and tell them you’re taking your business elsewhere unless they drop gun manufacturers from their mutual funds. If anything, you may kill two birds with one stone. Who more than gun manufacturers finances the NRA anyway?
MAGag

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:16 am

f by boycotting is how you envision change happening, don't ask Delta to drop its relationship with the NRA, call Fidelity and tell them you’re taking your business elsewhere unless they drop gun manufacturers from their mutual funds. If anything, you may kill two birds with one stone. Who more than gun manufacturers finances the NRA anyway?
MAGag

Now that is a good idea, one has to hurt them in the pocketbook, we know this is not a matter of conscience, or things would have changed long ago. The God of profit rules and is worshiped.

Jouhou

Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:21 am

Has anyone brought up the fact that the NRA also is being investigated for accepting Russian money?

MaverickM11

Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:40 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

The irony can't be any more evident. The "law abiding gun owners" are protesting that they're being shunned because of the few kooks affiliated and emboldened by the NRA; these same "law abiding gun owners" are likely the same people that generalize that all Muslims should do more to prevent radical islamic terrorism and that they shouldn't get any preferential treatment whatsoever.

:checkmark: yup. Although Muslim terrorists couldn’t dream of killing one hundredth of the Americans the NRA helps murder.
E pur si muove -Galileo

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:41 am

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nra-blasts-a ... 15772.html

The arrogance is amazing, these people are nuts. 5 million defying 320 million. You think they are used to buying our government? I hope they are misjudging the students and their supporters of which I am one.

MaverickM11

Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:47 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

:checkmark: yup. Although Muslim terrorists couldn’t dream of killing one hundredth of the Americans the NRA helps murder.
E pur si muove -Galileo

SheikhDjibouti

Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:48 am

WarRI1 wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/nra-blasts-apos-cowardice-apos-004815772.html

The arrogance is amazing, these people are nuts. 5 million defying 320 million. You think they are used to buying our government? I hope they are misjudging the students and their supporters of which I am one.

NRA wrote:
Since the tragedy in Parkland, Florida, a number of companies have decided to sever their relationship with the NRA, in an effort to punish our members who are doctors, farmers, law enforcement officers, fire fighters, nurses, shop owners and school teachers that live in every American community. We are men and women who represent every American ethnic group, every one of the world’s religions and every form of political commitment.

Every ethnic group, every religion?

I'd like to see a list of their Amish and Quaker members...

The NRA really are out of touch with reality.
(Ok, some might argue that comment applies to Amish too, but at least they don't go around facilitating mass shootings)
There are two things that happen when you get old.
1. You start to lose your memory.
2. What was I saying again?

Ken777

Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:55 am

NIKV69 wrote:

Discounts because you join some gun club is not that critical to the airlines, and is pretty stupid when you think about it. How about a discount for those who have served in the military, and twice as large if they have any disabilities from that service.That makes a lot more sense than anything for the NRA. Corporate donations to the NRA is also something I don't support. It takes profits that should have gone to the shareholders, or employees paid below the poverty level.

As for "thuggery" take a hard look at how the NRA attacks those who complain after one of our frequent mass killings.

Ken777

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:05 am

NIKV69 wrote:

You want full auto illegal? Fine. Bump stocks? Fine. Gun show loophole? Fine etc but when you get to banning my rifle and other semi autos I am drawing the line.

So basically you have an assault weapon that can be converted into a machine gun with little effort - just a bit of plastic. Do you use that assault weapon wen you go our hunting rabbits? Deer?

Personally I can see no reason for the ending of the ban on assault weapons. All it has done is significantly increase the number of innocent people (especially kids) killed with these weapon s. An assault weapon is a Kiddie Killer. How many have to die before you change your mind? If there was a fair, voluntary buyback would you get rid of your Kiddie Killer?

IIFC the first three words of the Second Amendment are "A well regulated . . ." The NRA hates those three words. How about you?

stratosphere

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:21 am

blueflyer wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Fine etc but when you get to banning my rifle and other semi autos I am drawing the line.

Why?
It's a genuine question, I would like to understand why you are ok with banning full autos, but not semi autos.

N174UA wrote:
How effective, financially or otherwise, are these boycotts in the long-term, anyway? What to say that 6-9 months from now, these companies that are publicly cutting ties (like Delta did this morning) with the NRA won't quietly reinstate the discounts?

I’m not sure they’re that effective. I don’t think the average member joined the NRA for the privilege of carrying an NRA-branded credit card, or to save $10 on their airfare the one year they choose to attend the national convention. A boycott of the NRA isn’t what is going to keep gun manufacturers awake. The threat of a boycott from the finance industry does, however.

In 2015, Bank of America decided to stop making loans to coal mining companies in the US and abroad, and other banks followed suit. Mining companies’ cost of capital did go up as a result.

Very quietly, BofA has announced today that it is reviewing its relationship with manufacturers of assault rifles sold to the public. Some pension funds are also considering putting pressure on Schwab, Vanguard, and the likes to stop investing in gun manufacturers. The same manufacturers that invested heavily to keep up with an expected increase in demand that didn’t come when Trump defeated Clinton, really don’t need a shrinking pool of financial resources now.

If by boycotting is how you envision change happening, don't ask Delta to drop its relationship with the NRA, call Fidelity and tell them you’re taking your business elsewhere unless they drop gun manufacturers from their mutual funds. If anything, you may kill two birds with one stone. Who more than gun manufacturers finances the NRA anyway?

When Delta makes all their pilots that are FFDO and are armed give up their weapons and kick all federal air marshalls off their planes then I will be ok with their stance other than that they are hypocrites like most all liberals are.

jetero

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:14 am

stratosphere wrote:
blueflyer wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Why?

N174UA wrote:

When Delta makes all their pilots that are FFDO and are armed give up their weapons and kick all federal air marshalls off their planes then I will be ok with their stance other than that they are hypocrites like most all liberals are.

So lashy-outy sad on a Saturday night, strato. It’s OK maybe next weekend you’ll have a date to share your $120k/yr and sh*tty health insurance.

bgm

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:35 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Sad to see thuggery and intimidation succeeding

You mean, like how the NRA have been operating for years. Sending threatening letters to politicians basically saying 'if you don't support us, we will come after you'

I'm not usually a fan of the power of social media, but in this case it seems this may be the only thing that can break this sick NRA stranglehold.