WarRI1
Topic Author

Re: Companies start to abandon NRA

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:37 am

WarRI1 wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/nra-blasts-apos-cowardice-apos-004815772.html

More insanity and ignorance from the NRA.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nra-spokewom ... 58292.html

More of the same, the Morality Kings, the NRA.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

incitatus

Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:41 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
An unconfirmed report:(...)

Banning is an ignore reality, simplistic solution, to a very complex problem proffered by those who have no idea of the realities of the issue.

Do you realize you are saying do not ban anything that has a chance of being obtained illegally? If I follow your logic, we should have no drinking laws for minors, no DWI laws, no drug laws, no cigarette laws. After all, drugs and alcohol are easy to obtain. Think before you post!

The same people that think banning semi-autos is a threat to their country do not let me buy beer before 12 noon on Sundays. Wacky.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

WarRI1
Topic Author

Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:24 am

The same people that think banning semi-autos is a threat to their country do not let me buy beer before 12 noon on Sundays. Wacky.
Conservatives against Trump

I agree, it does not make sense at all, and this does seem common in certain areas of our screwed up country. I also am impressed that you as a Conservative have that signature. It is heartening to see that there are some who are not so blind as to realize there are two sides, and that some can see this man for who and what he is on the Conservative side. Believe it or not, I am somewhat Conservative myself in certain matters.

DIRECTFLT

Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:11 am

incitatus wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
An unconfirmed report:(...)

Banning is an ignore reality, simplistic solution, to a very complex problem proffered by those who have no idea of the realities of the issue.

Do you realize you are saying do not ban anything that has a chance of being obtained illegally? If I follow your logic, we should have no drinking laws for minors, no DWI laws, no drug laws, no cigarette laws. After all, drugs and alcohol are easy to obtain. Think before you post!

I quoted a report by someone else, who said "Banning is an ignore reality, simplistic solution, to a very complex problem proffered by those who have no idea of the realities of the issue."

I did not say that.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

MaverickM11

Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:46 am

incitatus wrote:

:checkmark: ...and are TERRIFIED of a transgender person using the bathroom. Or a Muslim existing, anywhere.
E pur si muove -Galileo

NIKV69

Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:35 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
incitatus wrote:

:checkmark: ...and are TERRIFIED of a transgender person using the bathroom. Or a Muslim existing, anywhere.

This is complete crap and more short sighted thinking. Just keep grouping everyone that owns a gun into being a bigot. It did you so well last year in the election and it's why no meaningful legislation on gun control ever gets done.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

tommy1808

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:17 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
It did you so well last year in the election and it's why no meaningful legislation on gun control ever gets done.

i guess you are right, there is no way Putin would allow meaningful gun legislation in the US.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

SelseyBill

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:05 am

NIKV69 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
incitatus wrote:

This is complete crap and more short sighted thinking. Just keep grouping everyone that owns a gun into being a bigot. It did you so well last year in the election and it's why no meaningful legislation on gun control ever gets done.

......sorry to interject into this private American squabble; but as a European; I just do not understand this blind infatuation the USA in general has with guns and gun ownership, and how somehow gun-control is in some bizarre way conflated by some as being an assault on democracy and freedom.

I love the USA; I've travelled to all 50 states in the union; some of my best friends and work colleagues are American; but before you can solve any problem, you have to own up to there being one.

Hey USA, you kill 30,000 of your own citizens every year. That's ten 9-11's every year. You need to understand, that is a national embarrassment for you internationally. How can American ambassadors go around the world emphasising law and peace, when Americans kill 30.000 fellow citizens every year ?

I was in Brussels a while ago looking through US Federal Government advice on which countries were considered 'dangerous' for US Students to travel to, when it was noted that by far the most dangerous place for any US college student to be was in their own classroom . Just think about that for a moment USA........

NIKV69 wrote:
no meaningful legislation on gun control ever gets done.

There's no need to change any gun control laws at all......

Just ban the manufacture of bullets.....

DIRECTFLT

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:47 am

WarRI1 wrote:
The same people that think banning semi-autos is a threat to their country do not let me buy beer before 12 noon on Sundays.

They are part-Pagans, and they don't even know it!!!

God established the 7th day of the week, (known as "Saturday" in the West) as the day of rest, from the git-go.

Man decided to ignore God's decree, and change that Holy day of rest on their own, essentially to show they had the (assumed) power to override anything God has said, for whatever "reason(s) they choose. And with that.... they could then call dark...light. And Light.... Dark, etc, etc, etc.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

jetero

Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:07 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
The same people that think banning semi-autos is a threat to their country do not let me buy beer before 12 noon on Sundays.

They are part-Pagans, and they don't even know it!!!

God established the 7th day of the week, (known as "Saturday" in the West) as the day of rest, from the git-go.

Man decided to ignore God's decree, and change that Holy day of rest on their own, essentially to show they had the (assumed) power to override anything God has said, for whatever "reason(s) they choose. And with that.... they could then call dark...light. And Light.... Dark, etc, etc, etc.

And Sunday ... Sunday ...

For someone who loves to speak on behalf of The Man, I find the above meditation a little funny.

MaverickM11

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:19 am

NIKV69 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
incitatus wrote:

Welp, as they say, sorta "“it's better to keep your mouth shut and appear a bigot than open it and remove all doubt”
E pur si muove -Galileo

flipdewaf

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:15 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
An unconfirmed report:

A while back I was searching for someone who could build a modified version of the shuttle valve for the Chrysler B-727 automatic transmission.

I was modifying the valves myself and not being a machinist was having a great deal of trouble doing so.

I found a guy in North Broward who was able to do the work at a fair price, and over the years we developed a decent relationship, I did a lot work for him and he did the same for me.

One afternoon at his shop we where out back shooting chit and he came out of the shop and handed me a what looked like a MAC-11 with a suppressor attached.

It wasn't an actual MAC-11, but a knockoff he built.

He loaded a 20 round mag with .380's, locked the bolt back handed it to me, I wrapped the suppressor with a few shop rags held the suppressor down with my left hand and with the gun below my shoulder and at my side I pulled the trigger and burned through 20 rounds in just over a second and the guns was so well suppressed I could hear the spent brass hitting the ground.

I was impressed, unwrapped the suppressor set it aside and in the ensuing conversation I was informed if I wanted to buy one the price was $1200 cash, no questions asked or background check needed, without the suppressor $900, same deal.

And no manufactures roll marks, serial number or traceability.

A while later he was arrested by BATF and according to the press release they estimated by supplies purchased, he had manufactured and sold over 200 of them, prior to the raid.

That's one man, working in one shop, selling full auto suppressed, with no questions asked, cash talks.

Had the Parkland shooter connected with this guy and I am sure there many more of them out there, he could have had a full auto firearm about 19" in length, very suppressed and with a backpack of 20 round mags, the death toll in Parkland would have been ten times as much as it was, within the same amount of time.

And no one would know he bought the gun, because the only paperwork required, would have been the cash he handed over to the seller.

So yes go ahead and ban semi-automatic firearms and high cap mags, and all that will happen is the law abiding will comply, and nut-jobs like the shooter in Parkland, will find an alternate source and will still be able to buy an even more powerful firearm, for only a little bit more money.

Which by the way as it is for all mass shooters, money or price of the firearm has never been a problem, someone's funding them, either family, a job, or as trust babies like the Vegas shooter.

All banning guns any type of gun does, is effect the law abiding, no one else.

Interesting thought, essentially the means are there if someone wants to do it badly enough then they will be able to do it, that's why the gun laws in the rest of the world have failed so miserably to reduce the rate of deaths to below that of the US.

If my understanding is correct, you are saying that if something is possible to do in a garage behind prying eyes then it shouldn't be illegal?

Fred

Fred, you're understanding of what I was saying is not correct. To be clear, I, was not saying that if something is possible to do in a garage behind prying eyes then it shouldn't be illegal.

There you go !

So what were you suggesting? It appears that you were saying if it is banned it wont make any difference to availability of firearms as people will just carry on? Do you think banning the other things mentioned has decreased their prevalence in society and why would any restrictions and regulations on guns be any different?

Fred

Pellegrine

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:21 am

Good. NRA members should not enjoy all of these special benefits without an equal organization against the proliferation of guns and gun violence enjoying the same. A gun owner and member of this organization should receive discounts that regular law abiding citizens don't? Ridiculous.
oh boy, here we go!!!

DIRECTFLT

Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:28 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:

Interesting thought, essentially the means are there if someone wants to do it badly enough then they will be able to do it, that's why the gun laws in the rest of the world have failed so miserably to reduce the rate of deaths to below that of the US.

If my understanding is correct, you are saying that if something is possible to do in a garage behind prying eyes then it shouldn't be illegal?

Fred

Fred, you're understanding of what I was saying is not correct. To be clear, I, was not saying that if something is possible to do in a garage behind prying eyes then it shouldn't be illegal.

There you go !

So what were you suggesting? It appears that you were saying if it is banned it wont make any difference to availability of firearms as people will just carry on? Do you think banning the other things mentioned has decreased their prevalence in society and why would any restrictions and regulations on guns be any different?

Fred

Fred, let me put it this way.... I quoted something someone else said. I submitted it for your evaluation. But me merely submitting it, does not mean I approve of what what said, or of what you think was said.

Fair Enough ??

jetero

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:22 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:
Good. NRA members should not enjoy all of these special benefits without an equal organization against the proliferation of guns and gun violence enjoying the same. A gun owner and member of this organization should receive discounts that regular law abiding citizens don't? Ridiculous.

What you term "ridiculous" is currently the practice of countless organizations, and those benefits have far more useful discounts. I'd say there's a fair chance you receive those very discounts that others don't receive due to your age or possessions.

So you agree this is a business decision and the chips can fall where they may ...

MSPNWA

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:23 pm

Pellegrine wrote:

What you term "ridiculous" is currently the practice of countless organizations, and those benefits have far more useful discounts. I'd say there's a fair chance you receive those very discounts that others don't receive due to your age or possessions.

Tugger

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:37 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Fred, let me put it this way.... I quoted something someone else said. I submitted it for your evaluation. But me merely submitting it, does not mean I approve of what what said, or of what you think was said.

Fair Enough ??

No not really.

That is as lame a dodge as any I have heard. But if that is how you wish to be seen/read then that is your choice.

In most normal conversations people identify when they are quoiting from others something that may provoke some good thought or discussion and does not reflect their thinking. It is more a matter of trolling if you just say something to get a rise out of someone based on ideas or quotes that are not your own.

I tend to think authenticity is its own virtue.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

DocLightning

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:43 pm

WarRI1 wrote:

I apologize for this digression off-topic, but I think that there is a vast public misconception that the "no booze on Sunday" laws are based in moral puritanism.

They are not. Or at least mostly not.

In most cases, these laws are strongly supported by small liquor stores. Here's why: If alcohol sales were legal 24/7, then small mom-and-pop liquor stores would have to be open all day every day in order to compete with larger big-box chain stores like BevMo. By banning alcohol sales one day of the week (or a half day of the week), they are still going to sell the same gross amount of booze across a given week, but the small mom-and-pop stores get to take a day (or a Sunday morning) off without losing business to their large chain competitors.

Nobody has banned DRINKING at 9AM on Sunday (if that's your thing). You just have to plan ahead and buy your booze at least the day before, which really isn't that much of a burden.

Now, you might wonder why these laws don't also apply to, say, shoe stores. THAT'S where the moral puritanism comes in. It's easier to work up the political will to pass a law banning alcohol sales on Sunday morning than it is to work up the political will to pass a law banning shoe sales on Sunday morning. In fact, in Madrid, there is a law closing MOST retail stores on every other Sunday (I think...perhaps the Spaniards can corroborate) for exactly the same reason.

OK, digression over. Mea culpa.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

CCGPV

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:00 am

DocLightning wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

I apologize for this digression off-topic, but I think that there is a vast public misconception that the "no booze on Sunday" laws are based in moral puritanism.

In most cases, these laws are strongly supported by small liquor stores. Here's why: If alcohol sales were legal 24/7, then small mom-and-pop liquor stores would have to be open all day every day in order to compete with larger big-box chain stores like BevMo. By banning alcohol sales one day of the week (or a half day of the week), they are still going to sell the same gross amount of booze across a given week, but the small mom-and-pop stores get to take a day (or a Sunday morning) off without losing business to their large chain competitors.

Nobody has banned DRINKING at 9AM on Sunday (if that's your thing). You just have to plan ahead and buy your booze at least the day before, which really isn't that much of a burden.

Now, you might wonder why these laws don't also apply to, say, shoe stores. THAT'S where the moral puritanism comes in. It's easier to work up the political will to pass a law banning alcohol sales on Sunday morning than it is to work up the political will to pass a law banning shoe sales on Sunday morning. In fact, in Madrid, there is a law closing MOST retail stores on every other Sunday (I think...perhaps the Spaniards can corroborate) for exactly the same reason.

That argument kind of makes sense but surely the alcohol industry has more pull than the mom and pops? Why would they allow this?
Stay curious

WarRI1
Topic Author

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:00 am

Thanks for the information, all those type laws in the New England Area are called Blue Laws, many of them still on the books. Most of the liquor laws have been modified these days. I cannot claim the words you quoted, not mine, but it is easy to misquote with the new A Net pages. Also as a none drinker, I claim no knowledge at all about drinking. This is not religion based either, I just cannot stand the taste of alcohol or sea food. :shakehead:

CCGPV

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:01 am

WarRI1 wrote:
Thanks for the information, all those type laws in the New England Area are called Blue Laws, many of them still on the books. Most of the liquor laws have been modified these days. I cannot claim the words you quoted, not mine, but it is easy to misquote with the new A Net pages. Also as a none drinker, I claim no knowledge at all about drinking. This is not religion based either, I just cannot stand the taste of alcohol or sea food. :shakehead:

Not even crab cakes??!!
Stay curious

WarRI1
Topic Author

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:11 am

CCGPV wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

Not even crab cakes??!!

When I was young and sea food was free for the taking here where I live, I lived on the water, I had my fill because it was free. I raised my children free of seafood and don't you know, both my children eat sea food. Go figure, and no not even Clam cakes or Crab cakes.

DocLightning

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:12 am

CCGPV wrote:

That argument kind of makes sense but surely the alcohol industry has more pull than the mom and pops? Why would they allow this?

Because the ban really doesn't affect overall sales. The sales that would have happened on Sunday morning happen on Saturday or on Sunday afternoon, instead. So whether the stores are closed on Sunday morning, they are still going to sell the same amount of booze over the course of the week. So the alcohol companies aren't really affected.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

DLFREEBIRD

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:21 am

DocLightning wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

Utah has funny drinking laws the state is the only one allowed to sell liquor and wine. they are closed on Sunday. The liquor store open at 11 am and used to close at 5 pm
making it near impossible for those who work day jobs to get liquor. They don't want anyone drinking period. Only in the last few years have they decided to stay open until 10 pm. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_Utah

seems to me that most of Europe, has limited hours on almost every type of shop compare to the U.S. However, it's by choice not by law.

CitizenJustin

Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:08 pm

To the NRA members who feel personally attacked - get over yourselves and grow up. Your behavior is reprehensible and pathetic.

Believe it or not, no one spends much time thinking about your plight, when so many are suffering from real issues in this world. It’s apparent the NRA’s losing its stranglehold on the government and most people are celebratory. The bullying and constant fear mongering is getting old and the clock has begun to tick.

You’re not victims, you’re not fighting for anything meaningful anymore, and Delta can take discounts away anytime they want. End of story.

WIederling

Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:48 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
This is not religion based either, I just cannot stand the taste of alcohol or sea food. :shakehead:

Mix it? -1 times -1 is +1 :-)
Murphy is an optimist

tommy1808

Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:13 pm

DocLightning wrote:
In fact, in Madrid, there is a law closing MOST retail stores on every other Sunday (I think...perhaps the Spaniards can corroborate) for exactly the same reason..

In Germany retail stores are closed on most Sundays, sans 4 to 10 depending on the state.
Unless an exception is specified, think common sense and highly regulated, it is illegal to employ someone on a Sunday. It is actually a constitutional requirement to protect Sunday as a rest day.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:26 am

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... fred-meyer

Another chain joins the fight to change the status quo.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:37 am

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/consume ... 19792.html

Something maybe afoot here, I like it, nothing like the old pocketbook to spur a long lost conscience.

Aesma

Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:48 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
seems to me that most of Europe, has limited hours on almost every type of shop compare to the U.S. However, it's by choice not by law.

In France it's by law that stores are closed on Sundays. The law has been relaxed somewhat but unions were against this (religious organizations too, but nobody listens to them) and still are, shops have to pay people a lot more to work on Sundays, so in practice only some malls open some Sundays, and hardware stores.

As for liquor stores, they don't exist, regular supermarkets sell alcohol, in large cities you will find wineries or high end liquor stores, but that's not where most people buy alcohol.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:00 am

We are almost at a point here where nothing means anything except power and money. A very simple concept when you think of it.