evank516
Topic Author

Georgia Lt. Governor Threatens DL Over Cutting Ties with NRA

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:28 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... ailsignout

Pretty immature if you ask me. DL can cut ties with the NRA if they want, especially if it goes against Delta's company values. Just like the Duck Dynasty scandal with A&E, Delta is within their rights to do this in my opinion.

vfw614

Re: Georgia Lt. Governor Threatens DL Over Cutting Ties with NRA

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:41 pm

True to his word, he will undoubtedly never again set a foot in a Delta plane...

Varsity1

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:45 pm

Can this be moved out of civil aviation. It's a political thread.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

Kashmon

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:46 pm

Well Delta does have its hub in a very conservative state
it might be within its rights but it is not very smart...

MaverickM11

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:47 pm

Hope he likes connecting a lot
E pur si muove -Galileo

MSPNWA

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:49 pm

I'm disappointed that it took this minor dust-up to threaten DL's local tax break. In general the money they save won't be going back to the community in other ways. Why use the NRA cut to make a stand.

deltal1011man

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:50 pm

and the state senate just voted down a $50mill tax break aimed to benefit Delta.

Not going to comment on right or wrong on this one.

but I will say, Delta's timing wasn't the best. Should have waited till after the jet fuel tax exemption was passed before doing this.

evank516
Topic Author

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:51 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
vfw614 wrote:
True to his word, he will undoubtedly never again set a foot in a Delta plane...

Then I guess he's going to have one heck of a time traveling to other parts of the country. Sure there's the other airlines, but he's going to be making quite a few connections :lol:
Last edited by evank516 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QuarkFly

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:00 pm

Delta should not be getting special tax breaks in the first place. However, I doubt Georgia really wants to reduce Delta's presence in Atlanta...would be totally shortsighted.
Always take the Red Eye if possible

gatibosgru

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:02 pm

Yeah very smart to threaten the largest private employer in the state. Will make him very popular come November.
@DadCelo

N867DA

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:03 pm

They made a business decision to stop renewing an agreement with an agency they perceived to harm their brand. They could have done it without politicizing it as much.

This wasn't really an explicitly conservative v liberal thing until the NRA formally picked a side. There are liberal pro-gun rights advocates and conservatives who are not pro-gun rights. Imagine the murmurs if an airline had agreements with Planned Parenthood, another agency whose mission is not political at face value.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

evank516
Topic Author

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:04 pm

Kashmon wrote:

Conservative state, but liberal city.

Varsity1 wrote:
Can this be moved out of civil aviation. It's a political thread.

The mods can move this if they want. Wasn't really sure where to place it.

rwsea

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:04 pm

So, he won't support Delta anymore until Delta gives special privileges to a political group?

deltal1011man

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:09 pm

QuarkFly wrote:
Delta should not be getting special tax breaks in the first place. However, I doubt Georgia really wants to reduce Delta's presence in Atlanta...would be totally shortsighted.

that isn't going to happen and everyone knows it.

gatibosgru wrote:
Yeah very smart to threaten the largest private employer in the state. Will make him very popular come November.

going to take a guess you don't know much about Georgia politics or Georgia gun laws/ownership? We are one of the best states in the country when it comes to gun laws. (or lack there of)

This isn't going makes Cagle's following mad. In fact it will probably make him go from 98% chance of replacing Deal to 99.9%.

stl07

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:13 pm

Delta is far more important in Atlanta than this fool will ever be. How about DL threatens back that they will move the HQ to DTW or SLC? Let's see how much of an attitude he will have then. This is coming from a former gun enthusiast. A private company can have whatever stance it wants on gun control.

PlanesNTrains

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:16 pm

evank516 wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
vfw614 wrote:

Then I guess he's going to have one heck of a time traveling to other parts of the country. Sure there's the other airlines, but he's going to be making quite a few connections :lol:

In other words, like the tens of thousands of people that do it every day in ATL.
-Dave

”Yet somewhere in Iceland a great anger stirred in the soul of a troubled individual...” - Revelation

Metjetceo

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:29 pm

Delta has facilities all over the country and could stop hiring in ATL and hire in other locations without blinking an eye.
I agree very short sighted, and I bet cities like CVG would gladly give Delta incentives.

Every airline is going to go where incentives are.

MaverickM11

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:34 pm

Conservatives: corporations should be able to discriminate their customers

DL: we’re ending an obscure discount for the NRA

Conservatives: not those customers! Corporations can’t attack conservatives :cry2:
E pur si muove -Galileo

axiom

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:37 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Conservatives: corporations should be able to discriminate their customers

DL: we’re ending an obscure discount for the NRA

Conservatives: not those customers! Corporations can’t attack conservatives :cry2:

Nail on the head.

aemoreira1981

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:41 pm

stl07 wrote:
Delta is far more important in Atlanta than this fool will ever be. How about DL threatens back that they will move the HQ to DTW or SLC? Let's see how much of an attitude he will have then. This is coming from a former gun enthusiast. A private company can have whatever stance it wants on gun control.

That is exactly the strategy I would consider. MI is purple and UT is red. The TPAC flights ATL has could be moved to DTW or SEA. JNB and what Caribbean/LatAm flights can’t be shifted to JFK would remain at ATL, with JFK being the major European Gateway for DL.

StTim

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:45 pm

I know we are not supposed to be political but I struggle to understand the the chasm that exists in the US. The divisions are getting worse. :(

LAXdude1023

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:56 pm

With the way the NRA bullies people, Im glad DL stood up to them.
Next flight: IAH-IST-TXL-IST-IAH on TK in J

brian415

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:56 pm

DL has enough hubs/focus cities in blue and purple states, such that DL's action will be beneficial in the long run.

DaufuskieGuy

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:59 pm

I think DL has way too much invested in ATL to consider drawing it down, they rule the SE with it and ceding it to a competitor over NRA discounts or tax breaks would be very foolish.

Tugger

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:59 pm

Not a big deal, I bet Delta has a special deal with the state government for special tickets rates/discounts. They can just reduce that discount by a few dollars and make it all back up and the officials will still not have a better selection of flights etc. with any other airline.

Tugg
Last edited by Tugger on Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

tootallsd

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:03 pm

Now if Delta had cited firmly held religious convictions, there would be no issues.

aemoreira1981

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:07 pm

DaufuskieGuy wrote:
I think DL has way too much invested in ATL to consider drawing it down, they rule the SE with it and ceding it to a competitor over NRA discounts or tax breaks would be very foolish.

The TPAC flights could be moved to DTW or SEA. Some TATL flights could be moved to JFK if slots are available.

DakotaFlyer

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:10 pm

Hey ATL, MSP is calling! Time to dust off the old Northwest HQ windows.

luckyone

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:11 pm

The Lt. Gov doesn’t seem to know the Churchill rule. While Delta dominates traffic at ATL, it does so with a lot of connections. If the state of Georgia wants to get into a tango with its biggest employer that traffic can eventually be shifted over Delta’s other hubs if they become vindictive. Business can and do move states due to unfriendly policies, a fact Georgia likes to exploit when it’s convenient. Would it be simple? No.

Minneapolis also wouldn’t mind having their headquarters back after losing the NW headquarters in the merger.

I’d also be curious to know how much the Honorable gentleman has received in campaign financing from the NRA.
Last edited by luckyone on Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

enilria

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:12 pm

evank516 wrote:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/georgia-lieutenant-governor-threatens-delta-after-it-cuts-ties-with-nra/ar-BBJCOYt?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=mailsignout

Pretty immature if you ask me. DL can cut ties with the NRA if they want, especially if it goes against Delta's company values. Just like the Duck Dynasty scandal with A&E, Delta is within their rights to do this in my opinion.

Actually companies need to stay out of politics irrelevant to their business. Delta lobbyists will be asking this same guy to sign a petition against the ME3 in a month or two probably. You don't waste political capital on these momentary political issues that don't impact the bottom line.

jetero

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:13 pm

I thought Republicans were all against (1) interfering with private enterprise and (2) politicizing things?

PlanesNTrains

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:16 pm

Are we seriously thinking this is going anywhere? DL isn’t going to cut off their nose to spite their face in ATL. It’ll blow over in no time like nearly every other news item.
-Dave

”Yet somewhere in Iceland a great anger stirred in the soul of a troubled individual...” - Revelation

bkflyguy

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:16 pm

DakotaFlyer wrote:
Hey ATL, MSP is calling! Time to dust off the old Northwest HQ windows.

Sadly, Building A in Eagan has been demolished for the new Vikings practice facility.

As a native Minnesotan, I giggle at the thought of all those southerners moving to the frozen tundra.

ShinyAndChrome

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:19 pm

Aren't people reading a bit too much in what this discount entailed (the same applies for the cancelled UA discount)? I was under the impression that it was part of a managed deal with the NRA for travel to their annual convention. Airlines have these kinds of deals in place for hundreds of large conventions and professional events. At the very least, it wasn't a partnership in the way that Hertz or Enterprise extended special benefits for NRA members outside of a single event.

Triple7Lr

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:27 pm

I wonder if this will impact Amazons HQ2 decision. I’m sure they wouldn’t want their potential tax breaks held hostage. :scratchchin:

frmrCapCadet

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:28 pm

Kashmon wrote:

Perhaps you are suggesting that Delta should move its headquarters. I can suggest any number of cities who would welcome them. Maybe you weren't being serious.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

stl07

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:36 pm

Triple7Lr wrote:
I wonder if this will impact Amazons HQ2 decision. I’m sure they wouldn’t want their potential tax breaks held hostage. :scratchchin:

They have already picked where they want to be. The only reason the other cities are even in play is to see if they will get a huge amount incentive money

ridgid727

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:38 pm

I think SLC, MSP, DTW or LAX would be happy to give DL immense tax breaks to move their headquarters to any of those cities.

jetero

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:40 pm

What a winner this Casey Cagle seems to be. I pray every night the Repubs will continue to put up bottom feeders like this in every election. Then the problem will be solved!

luckyone

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:47 pm

What’s not been said here also is the Lt. Gov in his ire is all but admitting a direct relationship between the NRA and conservative politicians when he says something to the effect of you cannot attack “conservatives” and not expect retaliation.

727LOVER

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:00 am

deltal1011man wrote:
going to take a guess you don't know much about Georgia politics or Georgia gun laws/ownership? We are one of the best states in the country when it comes to gun laws. (or lack there of)

Y E P

remember this @ ATL?....HEY,...that's in Georgia !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL34sjZn3IE
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

ual763

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:11 am

QuarkFly wrote:

I'm sure Southwest and the other airlines would love to move in of Delta makes any cuts. But that's a moot point, because Delta will always place all their eggs in one basket - Atlanta.
From flying to the NOTAM office

aemoreira1981

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:24 am

ual763 wrote:
QuarkFly wrote:

I'm sure Southwest and the other airlines would love to move in of Delta makes any cuts. But that's a moot point, because Delta will always place all their eggs in one basket - Atlanta.

Pittsburgh thought that with USAir...they moved most flights to PHL and de-hubbed PIT.

WarRI1

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:30 am

luckyone wrote:
What’s not been said here also is the Lt. Gov in his ire is all but admitting a direct relationship between the NRA and conservative politicians when he says something to the effect of you cannot attack “conservatives” and not expect retaliation.

What would anyone expect from a bunch of political Red Neck hacks from Georgia? Greedy SOB's willing to retaliate against any and all to defend gun rights over the rights to life and safety of children, children!!, I find it repulsive.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

einsteinboricua

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:34 am

I laugh at the irony. "Businesses can discriminate against whoever they want...just not us. We believe in the free market and that government should not offer incentives...now do as we say or we'll take away tax breaks".
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

luckyone

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:38 am

ual763 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
luckyone wrote:

What would anyone expect from a bunch of political Red Neck hacks from Georgia? Greedy SOB's willing to retaliate against any and all to defend gun rights over the rights to life and safety of children, children!!, I find it repulsive.

Come on, please keep your political views to yourself, and talk about aviation. No need to berate entire populations of people because you don't agree with them.

In a thread stared due to an elected officials political maneuvers? Please.

ual763

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:38 am

WarRI1 wrote:
luckyone wrote:

Come on, please keep your political views to yourself, and talk about aviation. No need to berate entire populations of people because you don't agree with them.

ual763

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:46 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
ual763 wrote:
QuarkFly wrote:

Pittsburgh thought that with USAir...they moved most flights to PHL and de-hubbed PIT.

Comparing PIT to ATL is absurd. Pittsburgh and Philly were right next to each other. It made no sense to have both of them as hubs. Kind of like DTW and CVG after the merger w/ Delta. It's no surprise that USAir left PIT. But where do you think Delta is going to go in the Southeast? Are they going to flow all their Florida bound passengers through JFK and DTW? I think not. ATL has more capacity than most of their other hubs combined. It will simply never happen. They're too invested in ATL.

ual763

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:49 am

luckyone wrote:
ual763 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

In a thread stared due to an elected officials political maneuvers? Please.

You can talk aviation, and even politics, without berating entire populations of people. Generalizing and calling the majority of Georgians Red neck hicks and "SOBs" is just plain hurtful and uncalled for. Sorry we're not all like you.

IPFreely

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:50 am

gatibosgru wrote:

Largest? I'm not even sure Delta is in the top five employers in Georgia. Coca-Cola, Home Depot, and Lockheed definitely employ more people.