TheFlyingDisk
Topic Author

President Trump's Personal Pilot Up for FAA Administrator

Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:12 am

From this article it seems that Capt. John Dunkin is a highly competent pilot & has the credentials to be considered for the job. According to one source, "He’s on the list because he's the president’s pilot, but if he gets the job it won't be because he's the president's pilot,”.

What do you guys think?

https://www.axios.com/exclusive-trump-p ... 8e80d.html
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Aesma

Re: President Trump's Personal Pilot Up for FAA Administrator

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:48 am

The argument doesn't make any sense. You need to be on the list to get the job, so if he's on the list because he's the president's pilot, then he will get the job because he's the president's pilot.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

scbriml

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:00 pm

How's that swap-draining going? :scratchchin:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

NIKV69

Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:25 pm

Judging by how bad the FAA is it could only help.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

bgm

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:15 pm

scbriml wrote:

They're draining the swamp and filling it with their own toxic sewage.
When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

VSMUT

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:52 pm

You can say a lot about Trump, but putting a pilot in charge of the FAA probably isn't the worst choice in history. I mean, would an investment banker have been a better choice?

Flighty

Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:00 pm

From the documentary about putting winglets on Trump 757, his pilot seems like a level headed and competent manager. I agree with others that a longtime federal bureaucrat is not necessarily more qualified than an outsider.

jetero

Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:03 pm

Why doesn't he just stick to donuts?

einsteinboricua

Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:58 pm

VSMUT wrote:
You can say a lot about Trump, but putting a pilot in charge of the FAA probably isn't the worst choice in history. I mean, would an investment banker have been a better choice?

No...but let me ask you this: if you're the manager of a team and your son and someone else applied to a position (for which they both have excellent credentials), who will you pick? Pick your son and that's nepotism no matter how you look at it...it's a conflict of interest. Pick the other guy and you'll be accused of being harsh.

If Trump wants his personal pilot in charge of the FAA, that's totally fine. However, because he personally knows the pilot there's a conflict of interest, especially if there are possibly other pilots with more experience or stellar qualifications. He should allow a committee to select the qualified candidates and then he should vet them. Give the process some transparency.

The optics will not be forgiving and all the public will see is a guy who landed a job because he knows the president. In a country that complains about how merit should be what earns you a spot in college and not being of a particular race or being in with the review committee, it seems like yet another double standard for many conservatives.

But then again: IOKIYAR.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

DLFREEBIRD

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:03 pm

this is typical of Trump, he's been giving jobs to his family and friends who are no where near qualified to do the job. Nobody in his base care's. Which only shows me that Trump followers love to drink the Trump branded kool-aid.

btw those wanting a pilot, to run the F.A.A. I don't have a problem with that, except this pilot has a poor flying record. Which says a lot about Trump judgement.

bhill

Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:14 pm

Donno about this...is the US out of Brain Surgeons?
Carpe Pices

dfwjim1

Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:21 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
this is typical of Trump, he's been giving jobs to his family and friends who are no where near qualified to do the job. Nobody in his base care's. Which only shows me that Trump followers love to drink the Trump branded kool-aid.

btw those wanting a pilot, to run the F.A.A. I don't have a problem with that, except this pilot has a poor flying record. Which says a lot about Trump judgement.

Sort of like when JFK appointed his brother to be the attorney general of the United States?

Tugger

Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:28 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:

Sort of like when JFK appointed his brother to be the attorney general of the United States?

Sure, like that if you wish.

Do you support that?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

BravoOne

Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:50 pm

I think this more fake news. Not going to happen IMO.

BravoOne

Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:00 pm

scbriml wrote:

Do you know this guy?

BravoOne

Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:03 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:

Wow you are privy to this guys flying record?? What a bunch of horseshit. You gotta love the net where you can lie all you want and there is no one to challenge you?

Flighty

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:09 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

No...but let me ask you this: if you're the manager of a team and your son and someone else applied to a position (for which they both have excellent credentials), who will you pick? Pick your son and that's nepotism no matter how you look at it...it's a conflict of interest. Pick the other guy and you'll be accused of being harsh.

If Trump wants his personal pilot in charge of the FAA, that's totally fine. However, because he personally knows the pilot there's a conflict of interest, especially if there are possibly other pilots with more experience or stellar qualifications. He should allow a committee to select the qualified candidates and then he should vet them. Give the process some transparency.

The optics will not be forgiving and all the public will see is a guy who landed a job because he knows the president. In a country that complains about how merit should be what earns you a spot in college and not being of a particular race or being in with the review committee, it seems like yet another double standard for many conservatives.

Yeah, for most jobs. This is not a normal civil servant job though; it is a presidential appointee job. It looks like the FAA Administrator reports to the Secretary of Transportation. For such jobs, the president nominates somebody they think is a good fit for the position and then that person is given an up/down vote by the US Senate.

DLFREEBIRD

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:18 am

BravoOne wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:

Wow you are privy to this guys flying record?? What a bunch of horseshit. You gotta love the net where you can lie all you want and there is no one to challenge you?

are you saying you don't trust NTSB ? or were you to lazy to look up his record yourself.
https://arffwg.org/news/ntsb-cites-pilo ... nce-plane/

TheFlyingDisk
Topic Author

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:36 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
BravoOne wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:

are you saying you don't trust NTSB ? or were you to lazy to look up his record yourself.

To be fair, if you read the NTSB report it does say that Pence's plane was piloted by an Eastern-employed pilot. Dunkin was not at the controls. I based this on the following

"Dunkin has served as Trump's personal pilot since 1989, according to a Smithsonian Channel documentary about private planes." http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/09/news/co ... index.html

and

The Captain
The captain, age 58, held an airline transport pilot (ATP) certificate with a rating for airplane single- and multiengine land with commercial privileges, with type ratings on the Boeing 737, DC-10, DC-8, and MD-11, Bombardier CL-65, BAE Systems HS-114, and Lockheed Martin L188. He also held a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) first-class medical certificate dated July 20, 2016, with a limitation for glasses or corrective lenses for near and intermediate vision. He was hired by Eastern Air Lines in June 2015 as a first officer and upgraded to captain in February 2016, when he received captain leadership training. At the time of the incident, he was based in Miami, Florida.

Before joining Eastern Air Lines, the captain was a pilot at Centurion Cargo, where he was hired as a first officer on the DC-10 in 2005 and subsequently upgraded to captain on the MD11 in 2010. According to Eastern Airlines personnel records, the captain had 20,638 hours of flight experience, 14,767 hours pilot-in-command (PIC) time, with 3,000 hours on 737s and 202 hours as PIC on 737s. He flew 75 hours, 28 hours, and 11 hours during the 90-, 30-, and 7-day periods, respectively, preceding the incident. He also reported flying 1.5 hours during the 24-hour period before the incident. His most recent 737 proficiency check occurred March 16, 2016. A review of FAA records found no prior accident, incident, or enforcement actions.
https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Repor ... l&IType=IA

*I can't believe I'm defending a Trump associate...

jetero

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:52 am

Tugger wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:

Sure, like that if you wish.

Do you support that?

Tugg

It doesn’t matter!

JFK set the precedent for nepotism.

Bill Clinton set the precedent for lying.

Ergo, it’s open season for Republicans in perpetuity on both!

We silly libtards asked for it after all ...

DLFREEBIRD

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:55 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:
BravoOne wrote:

To be fair, if you read the NTSB report it does say that Pence's plane was piloted by an Eastern-employed pilot. Dunkin was not at the controls. I based this on the following

"Dunkin has served as Trump's personal pilot since 1989, according to a Smithsonian Channel documentary about private planes." http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/09/news/co ... index.html

and

The Captain
The captain, age 58, held an airline transport pilot (ATP) certificate with a rating for airplane single- and multiengine land with commercial privileges, with type ratings on the Boeing 737, DC-10, DC-8, and MD-11, Bombardier CL-65, BAE Systems HS-114, and Lockheed Martin L188. He also held a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) first-class medical certificate dated July 20, 2016, with a limitation for glasses or corrective lenses for near and intermediate vision. He was hired by Eastern Air Lines in June 2015 as a first officer and upgraded to captain in February 2016, when he received captain leadership training. At the time of the incident, he was based in Miami, Florida.

Before joining Eastern Air Lines, the captain was a pilot at Centurion Cargo, where he was hired as a first officer on the DC-10 in 2005 and subsequently upgraded to captain on the MD11 in 2010. According to Eastern Airlines personnel records, the captain had 20,638 hours of flight experience, 14,767 hours pilot-in-command (PIC) time, with 3,000 hours on 737s and 202 hours as PIC on 737s. He flew 75 hours, 28 hours, and 11 hours during the 90-, 30-, and 7-day periods, respectively, preceding the incident. He also reported flying 1.5 hours during the 24-hour period before the incident. His most recent 737 proficiency check occurred March 16, 2016. A review of FAA records found no prior accident, incident, or enforcement actions.

umm https://www.politicususa.com/2018/02/26 ... w-faa.html

777222LR

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:35 am

Again, nepotism. Real qualifications don't matter in this administration. My dad is a private pilot of a Cessna 336. He's also really successful in real estate and healthcare. So, I think we should nominate him as FAA Administrator. You run, you run, everyone runs! Everyone is qualified! (Just like the joke everyone can grow up and be president). This is not true.

Also, I'm successful in real estate. So, I must be qualified to lead the country. Wait. I'm only successful in real estate. I'm not also a multiple bankruptcy, social media-whining, con artist, malignant narcissist. So, never mind. Disregard my credentials.

Why can't conservatives just call a spade, a spade. This administration is a total joke, and an oligarchy.

seb146

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:55 am

Credit where credit is due: At least this guy knows about flying. More than Rick Perry knows about energy or Sonny Perdue knows about agriculture or Ben Carson knows about Housing and Urban Development...

But, this guy's main claim to fame is he is the pilot for tRump. You just have to know someone to get a job in the current administration. Who was that guy who had to pull his nomination because too many Senators asked about his qualifications?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

777222LR

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:59 am

seb146 wrote:
Credit where credit is due: At least this guy knows about flying. More than Rick Perry knows about energy or Sonny Perdue knows about agriculture or Ben Carson knows about Housing and Urban Development...

But, this guy's main claim to fame is he is the pilot for tRump. You just have to know someone to get a job in the current administration. Who was that guy who had to pull his nomination because too many Senators asked about his qualifications?

Or the Trump judicial nominee who had NEVER tried a case...Matthew Peterson.

TheFlyingDisk
Topic Author

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:08 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:

and

The Captain

umm https://www.politicususa.com/2018/02/26 ... w-faa.html

You said Dunkin is a poor pilot - but again in the link you provided it shows that the problematic pilots weren't him. If you have said he was a lousy manager, then that would have been fine.

While I've never chartered a plane before, I'm pretty sure the party chartering the aircraft has little say over the crewing of the charter flight.

Let not hatred get in the way of the facts even if it doesn't support our views.

VSMUT

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:53 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:

I completely agree with your points on nepotism, but lets face it, if this position is indeed chosen by the president, then most candidates are likely going to be non-aviation professionals who just helped fund the presidents campaign. In the case of this president, likely an investment banker or similar. Would that have been better? The points about nepotism would still have been the same BTW.

bgm

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:58 pm

It's nepotism.

That is all.
When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Mir

Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:05 pm

VSMUT wrote:

Someone with public policy experience would have been a better choice. We don't have to choose between two really crappy options. There's a whole lot of people in government who have been working their way up through the ranks, building their experience and their skillset and their resumes, and he could pick from one of those rather than going the nepotism route and picking someone who has barely any qualifications for the job.
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

seb146

Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:41 pm

Mir wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Someone with public policy experience would have been a better choice. We don't have to choose between two really crappy options. There's a whole lot of people in government who have been working their way up through the ranks, building their experience and their skillset and their resumes, and he could pick from one of those rather than going the nepotism route and picking someone who has barely any qualifications for the job.

That's not how business works. Remember that tRump is running this place like a business. One of HIS businesses. He is running it on the "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" concept of business. It does not work well in government.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

VSMUT

Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:36 pm

Mir wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Someone with public policy experience would have been a better choice.

I honestly doubt that.

Back when Justin Trudeau appointed his cabinet, he was applauded for selecting people with relevant real-world experience, not some random academic with a nice CV and no real-life experience with the subject that he is working with.

The entire nepotism thing is a different thing entirely, but then again, many of these positions were always chosen based on who scratched the presidents back. They aren't open to the most suitable candidates in the first place.

DIRECTFLT

Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:36 pm

Trump's pilot being named the FAA Director can't be any worse than the Obama "friends" who were "awarded" the contract to build the original Healthcare.gov website for the ACA (Affordable Care Act).
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

jetero

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:04 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Trump's pilot being named the FAA Director can't be any worse than the Obama "friends" who were "awarded" the contract to build the original Healthcare.gov website for the ACA (Affordable Care Act).

Here we go again.

The whataboutism implicitly acknowledges that it was wrong in the first place and thereby justifies it in continuation. That means you have no principled argument.

The above aside, I don’t think this particular instance is naked nepotism. I think it’s nakedly funny, but I don’t think it’s full-blown, egregious nepotism.

cledaybuck

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:12 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
If the FAA is run as well as the original Heathcare.gov website, Trump won't be able to brag about now crashes on his watch.

Mir

Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:10 am

VSMUT wrote:
Mir wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Someone with public policy experience would have been a better choice.

I honestly doubt that.

Back when Justin Trudeau appointed his cabinet, he was applauded for selecting people with relevant real-world experience, not some random academic with a nice CV and no real-life experience with the subject that he is working with.

Public policy experience means public policy experience, not just a nice CV.

A pilot has no experience in most of what the FAA does. If you get someone who has been a part of the leadership of a government organization, or even a large private organization, you've immediately found someone far better qualified than some guy's pilot. Those people are out there, plenty of them, and you can even find examples who have some aviation background.
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

MaverickM11

Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:48 am

Maybe he can fix the Middle East too since Jared seems to be on the outs and has the security clearance level of Stormi Daniels
E pur si muove -Galileo

zkojq

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:58 am

Mir wrote:
We don't have to choose between two really crappy options. There's a whole lot of people in government who have been working their way up through the ranks, building their experience and their skillset and their resumes, and he could pick from one of those rather than going the nepotism route and picking someone who has barely any qualifications for the job.

Yes but according to hard-right-wing logic, everyone who works for the government is automatically incompetent and is "part of the problem", regardless of their actual experience/qualifications.

MaverickM11 wrote:
Maybe he can fix the Middle East too since Jared seems to be on the outs and has the security clearance level of Stormi Daniels

:rotfl: Your humour has been right on the mark this last week, MaverickM11. More than a few of your comments have given me a good chuckle. :smile:
Most recent aircraft flown: A318 F-GUGQ, A319 F-GRHR, A320ceo D-AIZH, A320neo D-AINE, A330-300 VH-QPD, A350-900 B-LRA, A380-800 D-AIMH, 717 VH-YQW, 737-600 LN-RPA, 737-700 OY-JTY, 737-800 LN-NGA, 767-300 ZK-NCI, 777-300 ZK-OKN, 787-9 VH-ZNA, CS100 HB-JBG