MaverickM11

Re: Delta risks $40 mill in tax breaks over NRA riff

Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:10 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Mav: Full-auto weapons have been illegal for sale to the general public since the National Firearms Act of 1934. Over 80 years. It doesn't prevent massacre.

...considering no one can remember the last massacre perpetrated by a fully automatic weapon, it makes the rest of your argument moot.
E pur si muove -Galileo

ScottishDavie

Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:19 pm

As a Brit who has never owned, fired or wished to own or fire a gun of any description I would be interested in an explanation of the view apparently held by a lot of Americans that the way to deal with gun crime is to give even more people guns. I'm sure that following the most recent tragedy I heard somebody saying that if the class teacher had been armed he would have been able to deal with the shooter. From my non-American perspective it looks like utter insanity even to consider arming teachers on the off chance that murderous shooters might walk into their classrooms but other people seem to think differently. Am I missing the point here or is it a practical example of the maxim "Those whom the gods would destroy they first make mad"?

flymco753

Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:56 pm

I read an article about one of the Orlando news stations about airports trying to lure Delta in to expand their operations. I was looking at Delta/Careers and there’s a lot of hiring going on at MCO. Perhaps this is MCO’s time to become a reliever type operation to ATL?
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

Tugger

Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:57 pm

wjcandee wrote:
You're playing checkers in the last two posts, my friend. Very-simplistic views of a very-complex problem -- as well as a complete misunderstanding of the implications of my statements -- and I'm choosing not to play, absolutely-comfortable with what I actually believe.

So basically you are making it appear that you can't actually play, so you decide to take your ball and go home to try and hide that fact? People can still tell you can't play. Or at least that is what they assume. I guess it doesn't matter but it is the way it comes off to me.

Look I'm not here to get on you about this but you should be able to explain what you are trying to say, checkers, chess or otherwise. I get that you are comfortable with what you believe but you were the one who posted and it is not unfair or undue for someone to ask where they are unclear on a statement you make. It is part and parcel of basic communication.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

cranberrysaus

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:02 pm

My personal belief is that this was never about the NRA thing. I think it was just a convenient cover for GA lawmakers to pull back on what was already a contentious tax break, and score points with the Republican base at the same time.

mjoelnir

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:20 pm

ScottishDavie wrote:
As a Brit who has never owned, fired or wished to own or fire a gun of any description I would be interested in an explanation of the view apparently held by a lot of Americans that the way to deal with gun crime is to give even more people guns. I'm sure that following the most recent tragedy I heard somebody saying that if the class teacher had been armed he would have been able to deal with the shooter. From my non-American perspective it looks like utter insanity even to consider arming teachers on the off chance that murderous shooters might walk into their classrooms but other people seem to think differently. Am I missing the point here or is it a practical example of the maxim "Those whom the gods would destroy they first make mad"?

:checkmark:

You have gun crime, so you give guns to people. You get more gun crime, so you give more guns to people. You have still more gun crimes and you give still more guns to people.

There is a saying about persons that try the same thing again and again, expecting a different result each time.

mjoelnir

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:39 pm

ual763 wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
exFWAOONW wrote:
And yet, the NRA had nothing to do with the shooting. But, liberals needed a scapegoat instead of looking in the mirror. DL pissed off the older and more middle of the road generation with the money to fly....on someone else.

Your wrong. The NRA has EVERYTHING to do with it.

Oh really, how so? I realize everyone wants to try and blame it on something, but do you blame the car when a drunk driver kills someone? No. Do you blame Tide when some idiot chews on a Tide Pod and permanently scars their stomach lining? No. The NRAs sole purpose is to promote gun safety, and to protect and preserve the 2nd amendment, which so many seem to wanna do away with. For any company to come out and pick sides on such a controversial political issue, just seems foolish to me. And for the record, I don't agree with the state of Georgia punishing Delta either. That is a slippery slope to go down.

P.s. - long time no hear. Where have you been?

The sole purpose of the NRA today is to promote gun sales and to hinder any interference with gun ownership and a person's ability to carry it everywhere. Gun safety went out the window a long time ago.
When the 5 year old finds a gun under your bed or in your car and shoots the three year old, it is called an accident.

You buy a car. You have to register it. You have to insure it to cover the damage you could make with your car. There are hundreds of regulations to make a car more safe. You are not aloud to drive it intoxicated. The car producers and sellers are not exempt from liability law. You may research the circumstances and why accidents occur, why people get killed driving and why drivers kill, or injure people.
If you let the keys laying around and your 14 year old goes joyriding you are responsible.

Gun ownership and rules around that, is like a religion in the USA, impervious to argument and rational thinking

LMP737

Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:17 pm

All Delta really needs to do is start writing bigger checks than the NRA. Problem solved!
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

Tugger

Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:17 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
Gun safety went out the window a long time ago.

:checkmark:
Guns are untouchable for safety issues or defects they may have. Anything that happens is purely voluntary and no public agency may interfere. Hell there are sever limitations on keep statistics on guns, gun safety, deaths. Certainly can't ask about it.
The article below describes a situation that if it were any other device, the US agency responsible would step in to ensure problems would be addressed. But since it involved firearms that can't be done.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... e-recalled

You have the NRA and its influence in Congress to thank for that.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

frmrCapCadet

Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:33 pm

mjoe - an excellent post. I have had guns in my house for most of my life, but I was living in the country. Now I am in a city so gave them away (to responsible people). And they all were single shots. Of course
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

CitizenJustin

Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:13 pm

To the NRA members who feel personally attacked - get over yourselves and grow up. Your behavior is reprehensible and pathetic.

Believe it or not, no one spends much time thinking about your plight, when so many are suffering from real issues in this world. It’s apparent the NRA’s losing its stranglehold on the government and most people are celebratory. The bullying and constant fear mongering is getting old and the clock has begun to tick.

You’re not victims, you’re not fighting for anything meaningful anymore, and Delta can take discounts away anytime they want. End of story.

seb146

Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:24 pm

Guns are now more important than children, tax revenue, and jobs. In some places, guns are being part of the (and I use the term loosely) Christian faith. We will remember this in November.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

CitizenJustin

Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:39 pm

seb146 wrote:
Guns are now more important than children, tax revenue, and jobs. In some places, guns are being part of the (and I use the term loosely) Christian faith. We will remember this in November.

I agree.

God, guns and ‘Murica is paramount to these people. They’re classic cherrypickers as they ignore the parts of the Bible that don’t fall within their narrow spectrum. In 2018, you simply can’t be a Republican without buying the full package. If you’re a moderate you’re just lumped in with liberals.

Aesma

Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:23 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Kindly recognize that using your definition, much of our military is Teens with M16s. Interesting that they don't usually frag their bases or their commanders or hometowns, isn't it? And if you think that's because of some kind of effective ammo control, think again.

Aren't the M16s kept in the armoury most of the time ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Tugger

Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:39 pm

Aesma wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
Kindly recognize that using your definition, much of our military is Teens with M16s. Interesting that they don't usually frag their bases or their commanders or hometowns, isn't it? And if you think that's because of some kind of effective ammo control, think again.

Aren't the M16s kept in the armoury most of the time ?

And if those teens don't demonstrate the ability to properly handle and manage and aim a gun... wait for it.... it is taken away from them!

Isn't that amazing? That having to demonstrate competence with a weapon or it gets taken away leads to the kind of situation that wjcandee favors.

Tugg

jubguy3

Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:47 pm

HAHAHAHA. I'm fucking cracking up, I can't handle the GOP anymore. Delta just announced that a grand total of: 13 passengers bought tickets using the Delta NRA discount. 13 PEOPLE! And Casey Cagleberry decided to demean it's relationship with Georgia's 5th largest employer and the entity that has turned Hartsfield-Jackson into the world's largest airport because they cut ties with ANOTHER PRIVATE ENTITY that provided a total of $600 WORTH OF DISCOUNTS!!! I know I'll continue to give my money to Delta, a company that supports responsible political alliances and supports it's LGBT workers immensely, something that matters to me on a personal level.

jetero

Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:48 pm

NRA discount used for a whopping 13 tickets.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.co ... P/amp.html

glbltrvlr

Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:52 pm

And if every there was a case study on why corporations should not be taking political positions: Delta did indeed lose their $40M fuel tax break. Oh - a grand total of 13 tickets were sold with the NRA discount. If I was on the Delta board, I'd have called the CEO in the next day and asked him WTF was he thinking?

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-d ... story.html

CCGPV

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:11 pm

jubguy3 wrote:
HAHAHAHA. I'm fucking cracking up, I can't handle the GOP anymore. Delta just announced that a grand total of: 13 passengers bought tickets using the Delta NRA discount. 13 PEOPLE! And Casey Cagleberry decided to demean it's relationship with Georgia's 5th largest employer and the entity that has turned Hartsfield-Jackson into the world's largest airport because they cut ties with ANOTHER PRIVATE ENTITY that provided a total of $600 WORTH OF DISCOUNTS!!! I know I'll continue to give my money to Delta, a company that supports responsible political alliances and supports it's LGBT workers immensely, something that matters to me on a personal level.

So does this make Delta dumb for losing the tax break or does this make the NRA supporters dumb for "boycotting" something they never used in the first place?
Stay curious

dmg626

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:12 pm

Georgia was going to repeal the tax breaks anyway, this was a convenient excuse. Delta was trying to be cool and get on the social media “ # cause of the day “ bandwagon and it was used against them. The state would have found another reason , maybe the outraged passenger story of the day would have been the reason, who knows. Maybe corporate America can learn from this about the need to act like a 14 yr old girl and be all over social media the minute a new outrage occurs.

910A

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:34 pm

xxxxxx

jubguy3

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:37 pm

CCGPV wrote:
jubguy3 wrote:

So does this make Delta dumb for losing the tax break or does this make the NRA supporters dumb for "boycotting" something they never used in the first place?

It makes the Georgia legislature dumb for maiming their relationship with the 5th largest employer in the state of Georgia over $600.

HeeseokKoo

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:38 pm

Any impact on the other airline that uses ATL as a hub like Southwest? Did WN ever got the same credit before which is to be removed?

jetwet1

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:51 pm

dmg626 wrote:
Georgia was going to repeal the tax breaks anyway, this was a convenient excuse. Delta was trying to be cool and get on the social media “ # cause of the day “ bandwagon and it was used against them. The state would have found another reason , maybe the outraged passenger story of the day would have been the reason, who knows. Maybe corporate America can learn from this about the need to act like a 14 yr old girl and be all over social media the minute a new outrage occurs.

So Georgia was going to be removing these tax breaks anyways ? Honestly asking, I have no idea either way.

Here is the problem for Georgia and for Casey Cagle though, outside of Georgia, this to many has become a "punishment" issue to Delta for taking the perceived stand against the NRA.

Does this really help Georgia attract new businesses ?

I really can't see this helping them out in the short term, also as I mentioned earlier in the thread, one thing Mr Cagle will find is that come election time, those supporters of his better have some deep pockets because he will have issues raising funds from large companies in Georgia.

MaverickM11

Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:33 am

Delta Just Doubled Down on Its Decision to Cut Ties With the NRA
"Our values are not for sale"
http://time.com/5182755/delta-airlines- ... a-georgia/

Cue the evangelicals running in, smelling money, “our values are for sale!! We heard there was money.”
E pur si muove -Galileo

MSPNWA

Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:39 am

HeeseokKoo wrote:
Any impact on the other airline that uses ATL as a hub like Southwest? Did WN ever got the same credit before which is to be removed?

It was for all airlines, but clearly DL was by far the largest beneficiary. And some airlines, like WN and AA will have a slightly more advantageous competitive environment with their significant ops bordering GA.

ScottishDavie wrote:

Without living in this culture or even owned or fired a firearm, I think it would be very difficult for you to understand the situation. Weapons are a huge part of the culture here. And the rights given to own and use them are rooted in the founding of this nation. They are not just a life tool, but they are also a liberty tool. Americans from every generation have understood the check firearms have on tyrannical governments. So the essential point is that guns are commonplace. It's never been realistic to round up all the guns and viola, they're gone forever. Nope, the end result is fewer guns but far more in the wrong hands proportionally. Many Americans want not just to be able to own guns, and just shoot or hunt, but also defend themselves if, God forbid, it's necessary. The problem in the US isn't good guys with guns. It's bad guys with guns. It is very rare for something bad to happen with a good guy with a gun. It's sadly not rare with the bad guys if you're in certain areas of the country.

People aren't "given" guns. The only people with a gun here are those that desire one. And more physical guns in "circulation", so to speak, isn't the solution being put forth. One solution being put forth is to relax the restrictions on where a person can legally use their gun. It's no surprise that mass shootings tend to take place in "gun free" zones, where law-abiding people will not be able to defend themselves as possession there is outlawed. I find it utter insanity to think that to tackle the school shooting issue, it's a good idea to keep schools unarmed. That makes zero sense. It doesn't matter if there's more guns in the hands of bad guys or less, the fact that they will be out there in this country means its leaving kids and teachers like fish in a barrel. And that I believe that should be universally unacceptable, and yet it's not. There's millions out there that have accepted that reality and continue to do so even in light of shooting after shooting. There really is no strong reason not to better defend schools. And one way that starts is with allowing teachers to arm themselves if they wish.

Hopefully that helps you understand the situation more.

stratosphere

Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:58 am

You liberals just can't wrap my head around you people. The AR-15 has been around since umm what the 1960's and when has mass shootings started taking place on a grand scale? Last 20 years or so and seems now in the last few years even more stepped up. You go right for the gun you do know there are already laws on the books and background checks. I am totally ok with any loopholes being tightened and even more strict background checks I think most people are. My problem with you all is that is THE only and first thing you all go for and there are multiple things that could have prevented this from happening especially law enforcement. There were I don't know how many red flags on this kid? No one in law enforcement did shit and didn't talk to each other kinda like 9/11 with the government agencies not talking to each other I guess this is still a problem apparently. How about social media just fueling this kind of crap? Also with the exception of this kid all the mass shooters were over 21 except the Sandy Hook but he took the guns from his mom who was a legal owner so I really don't see how any additional laws will prevent this from happening in the future but hey if it makes you all sleep better at night go for it. You all still haven't figured out that criminals don't obey laws but I am not a big gun person so have at it.

alfa164

Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:30 am

stratosphere wrote:
Also with the exception of this kid all the mass shooters were over 21 except the Sandy Hook but he took the guns from his mom who was a legal owner so I really don't see how any additional laws will prevent this from happening in the future but hey if it makes you all sleep better at night go for it. You all still haven't figured out that criminals don't obey laws but I am not a big gun person so have at it.

1) Columbine
2) Sandy Hook
3) Parkland
... and dozens of incidents where kids have been caught at or near the schools before they could inflict their damage.

I tend to agree the laws requiring a person to reach 21 before buying a weapon won't have a great effect, but there is plenty of evidence that banning assault-style weapons does cut mass murder - by a lot. You can see the real-world example by looking at the Australian statistics, before and after their ban on assault-style weapons.

mjoelnir wrote:
The sole purpose of the NRA today is to promote gun sales and to hinder any interference with gun ownership and a person's ability to carry it everywhere. Gun safety went out the window a long time ago.
When the 5 year old finds a gun under your bed or in your car and shoots the three year old, it is called an accident.
You buy a car. You have to register it. You have to insure it to cover the damage you could make with your car. There are hundreds of regulations to make a car more safe. You are not aloud to drive it intoxicated. The car producers and sellers are not exempt from liability law. You may research the circumstances and why accidents occur, why people get killed driving and why drivers kill, or injure people.
If you let the keys laying around and your 14 year old goes joyriding you are responsible.
Gun ownership and rules around that, is like a religion in the USA, impervious to argument and rational thinking

Great summary. I grew up in the 60's, and was proud to go with my dad to NRA-sponsored marksman contests and gun safety classes. In those days, the organization promoted safety and responsibility; once they discovered the manufacturers' money, though, their goal was just to push the proliferation of guns of all kinds... sell, sell, sell those weapons! Never mind that some of them - like the assault-style weapons so many insecure guys with small (hands?) show off to prove their manhood - have no place in any reasonable civilized society. They make money for the manufacturers, that money flows to the NRA, and everybody is happy... except the unfortunate victims of their deranged owners.

CitizenJustin wrote:
To the NRA members who feel personally attacked - get over yourselves and grow up. Your behavior is reprehensible and pathetic. Believe it or not, no one spends much time thinking about your plight, when so many are suffering from real issues in this world. It’s apparent the NRA’s losing its stranglehold on the government and most people are celebratory. The bullying and constant fear mongering is getting old and the clock has begun to tick. You’re not victims, you’re not fighting for anything meaningful anymore, and Delta can take discounts away anytime they want. End of story.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:
Last edited by alfa164 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

zippy

Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:34 am

ScottishDavie wrote:

Let me put it in context for you:

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/01/59007694 ... s-revealed

WarRI1

Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:41 am

stratosphere wrote:
You liberals just can't wrap my head around you people. The AR-15 has been around since umm what the 1960's and when has mass shootings started taking place on a grand scale? Last 20 years or so and seems now in the last few years even more stepped up. You go right for the gun you do know there are already laws on the books and background checks. I am totally ok with any loopholes being tightened and even more strict background checks I think most people are. My problem with you all is that is THE only and first thing you all go for and there are multiple things that could have prevented this from happening especially law enforcement. There were I don't know how many red flags on this kid? No one in law enforcement did shit and didn't talk to each other kinda like 9/11 with the government agencies not talking to each other I guess this is still a problem apparently. How about social media just fueling this kind of crap? Also with the exception of this kid all the mass shooters were over 21 except the Sandy Hook but he took the guns from his mom who was a legal owner so I really don't see how any additional laws will prevent this from happening in the future but hey if it makes you all sleep better at night go for it. You all still haven't figured out that criminals don't obey laws but I am not a big gun person so have at it.

https://psmag.com/news/assault-weapons- ... ing-deaths.

I thought this was another way of looking at the school shooting problem, remember I said School shootings, nothing else.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

stratosphere

Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:43 am

alfa164 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:
Also with the exception of this kid all the mass shooters were over 21 except the Sandy Hook but he took the guns from his mom who was a legal owner so I really don't see how any additional laws will prevent this from happening in the future but hey if it makes you all sleep better at night go for it. You all still haven't figured out that criminals don't obey laws but I am not a big gun person so have at it.

1) Collumbine
2) Sandy Hook
3) Parkland
... and dozens of incidents where kids have been caught at or near the schools before they could inflict their damage.

I tend to agree the laws requiring a person to reach 21 before buying a weapon won't have a great effect, but there is plenty of evidence that banning assault-style weapons does cut mass murder - by a lot. You can see the real-world example by looking at the Australian statistics, before and after their ban on assault-style weapons.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am ok with an assault weapons ban personally but I really think we are going down a slippery slope there are just so many other things that come in to play where no one wants to go. I really think in my opinion that technology has hurt society as much as they helped it. I think kids and adults are now so socially introverted they can go into their own world with their cell phones and Facebook and never get out an have interaction like I did when I was a kid. I am 55 years old and I never saw such disrespect from young people like I do now if I ever did even 1 100th of what kids do now I would have got knocked into next year. Teachers are giving up the profession because they are tired of kids and their parents and their BS and that is why their little heathens suck. Society has degraded as a whole there is no value in human life anymore so guess it's no surprise that we are where we are. I am sure there was evil around when I was young and I am sure technology has exposed me to what would not have been seen when I was a kid but I really think it's different now. I never had to worry about going places alone when I was a kid growing up we never locked our doors I don't know I just think the world sucks now I feel for the kids today growing up today.

Ken777

Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:46 am

Noise wrote:

NRA literally has nothing to do with this shooting.

19-year mental case and incompetent Sheriff's office and FBI that missed warning signs have everything to do with it.

The NRA had a lot to do with the elimination of the ban on assault weapons via their rich funding of political campaign funds. They get millions from getting those Kiddie Killers into the market and make it easy for 18 year olds to buy it. It is clearly cash over kids for the NRA as far as I'm concerned.

As for the red neck Georgia politicians, let's see how they respond when Delta starts looking at their options for a new headquarters and changes to schedules to minimize changing flights in Atlanta.

Regardless it is going to fun to watch.

NIKV69

Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:26 am

cranberrysaus wrote:
My personal belief is that this was never about the NRA thing. I think it was just a convenient cover for GA lawmakers to pull back on what was already a contentious tax break, and score points with the Republican base at the same time.

I don't get all this "contentious tax break" stuff.

Democratic Governor Andrew Cuomo is giving businesses that come to upstate NY not only a tax break but a total free ride tax holiday for 10 years. Now all of a sudden because Delta had their tax break taken away because they joined the MSM gun hysteria you are attacking the original tax break as some sort of crony capitalism?
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

HeeseokKoo

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:56 am

cranberrysaus wrote:

+1. The bill already passed the house 135-24 before the dispute. Right after dispute, the senate passed 44-10 (nearly half democratic senates also supported). At least one democratic senate decided to support DL after seeing the company stands against NRA, so the bill was even easier to pass anyway. I agree that NRA dispute might not have changed anything.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-d ... story.html

frmrCapCadet

Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:53 pm

Delta will be cool about this. Don't expect any overt objection. Just look where they start putting people for new departments. On the other hand I expect Georgia will back off - other companies will quietly be asking questions before they move jobs to Georgia. i.e. Do we have to be pro NRA and pro school shootings to be welcome to Georgia?
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

alfa164

Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:30 am

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Do we have to be pro NRA and pro school shootings to be welcome to Georgia?

Apparently, in the eyes of the knuckle-dragging Lt. Governor, you do... :roll: