Airstud
Topic Author

The correct sandwich

Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:53 am

consists of hickory-smoked turkey, on a dark bread such as pumpernickel or dark rye, with romaine lettuce, beefsteak tomatoes, bean sprouts, and a good, impactful smear of spicy Dijon mustard.

Onions optional.

(You heard me.)
Pancakes are delicious.

WarRI1

Re: The correct sandwich

Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:06 am

Airstud wrote:
consists of hickory-smoked turkey, on a dark bread such as pumpernickel or dark rye, with romaine lettuce, beefsteak tomatoes, bean sprouts, and a good, impactful smear of spicy Dijon mustard.

Onions optional.

Nothing beats beef with anything including onions. In fact my favorite sandwich is a steak sandwich on torpedo well grilled with mushrooms well seared, all of it. Also a cup of coffee with cream, no sugar,

(You heard me.)
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

BlueberryWheats

Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:25 am

Depends on some things.

In summer, the perfect sandwich is a BLT, but you have to use a small variety of vine ripened, intense flavour tomatoes such as piccolo, cherry or baby plum. Plenty of good mayo too, maybe even coleslaw.

In winter it's a hot filling in a fresh baguette, such as Cumberland sausage and fried onion or shaved steak and cheese.

Airstud
Topic Author

Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:29 am

BlueberryWheats wrote:
Depends on some things.

In summer, the perfect sandwich is a BLT, but you have to use a small variety of vine ripened, intense flavour tomatoes such as piccolo, cherry or baby plum. Plenty of good mayo too, maybe even coleslaw.

In winter it's a hot filling in a fresh baguette, such as Cumberland sausage and fried onion or shaved steak and cheese.

See, we just covered this:

hickory-smoked turkey
dark bread such as pumpernickel or dark rye
romaine lettuce
beefsteak tomatoes
bean sprouts
impactful smear of spicy Dijon mustard.

...together all form the correct sandwich.
Pancakes are delicious.

BlueberryWheats

Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:47 am

It appears we have reached an impasse!

Btw, you never specified if your bread was toasted or not. That could be a game changer.

BartSimpson

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:44 am

Airstud wrote:
.. pumpernickel...

As I am living in pumpernickel-land - and we take the stuff seriously here - I'd really like to see your version of pumpernickel.

Pictures, please!

Jouhou

Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:14 am

Peanut butter and jelly.

Please not on pumpernickel. That would be just terrible.

B777LRF

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:13 am

Sod sandwiches, what you really want is 'smoerrebroed' as the Danes do it:

Here we see, in all their glory, 4 of the Big 10 (clockwise from bottom left):

Fried filet of sole
Roastbeef
Eggs & Prawns
Liverpaté and salted beef

All served, as they must be, on uber healthy buttered rye bread.
From receips and radials over straight pipes to big fans - been there, done that, got the hearing defects to prove

Francoflier

Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:24 am

Airstud wrote:

A 'sandwich' with no cheese is NOT a sandwich.

And I know a guy who knew a guy who was married to the second cousin of the grand daughter of the half-brother of the illustrious Mr. Sandwich, inventor of the eponymous confection, so I would know.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

NIKV69

Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:33 am

If you are inferring what the perfect sandwich is remember that will depend on Geography. IMO chicken cutlet pounded thin, perfectly breaded. American Cheese, lettuce with either mayo or Russian dressing on a hero or wheat club roll. Bacon optional.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

LAH1

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:07 pm

John Montague, 4th Earl of Sandwich, 1718 _ 1792. Known as the inventor of the sandwich. There's a Wiki on him but can't paste it as on a train now an iffy wi fi

bgm

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:15 pm

I thought egg salad was more your thing.
When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Jouhou

Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:15 pm

LAH1 wrote:
John Montague, 4th Earl of Sandwich, 1718 _ 1792. Known as the inventor of the sandwich. There's a Wiki on him but can't paste it as on a train now an iffy wi fi

I believe they were joking about having a vague and distant relationship with the earl of sandwich.

LAH1

Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:08 pm

Yeah, I got the joke but thought a few facts might help. ☺

Aesma

Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:43 pm

I'm not really a sandwich person, although I know what I like. The classic, and up to a few years ago eaten by the millions every day in France, "jambon-beurre" meaning ham-butter (in baguette, of course), I'm not a fan, I'll eat one if there is nothing else.

The cotoletta sandwich is probably my favourite, found in Italy, it's a cotoletta alla Milanese (breaded veal cutlet) in a sandwich.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Channex757

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:10 pm

LAH1 wrote:

The condensed version is....

Old Johnny was a fearsome gambler and often played cards for days on end. He refused to leave the card table to eat, and his staff devised a portable lunch consisting of carved meat between two slices of buttered bread that he could eat with one hand at the gaming table.

(Serious card rooms often had a communal pot discreetly placed in a corner to pee in for the same reason. Cards were often matters of loss of honour or estates as well as vast sums of money)

DocLightning

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:13 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Bacon optional.

Heresy. Sacrilege. Blasphemy.

Bacon is NEVER optional.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Channex757

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:14 pm

Mine was bacon, done on a griddle with two halved sausages and an egg between two slices of toast. Served with brown sauce on the Ringway Trading Estate from a food caravan at 6.30am on a frosty morning.

Nothing I have ever had in the form of a sandwich has ever tasted better than that breakfast sandwich I used to crave before work ever day.

Airstud
Topic Author

Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:45 pm

Francoflier wrote:

A 'sandwich' with no cheese is NOT a sandwich.

Not if you're Jewish...
Pancakes are delicious.

Bongodog1964

Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:54 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
Depends on some things.

Cumberland sausage should only ever be considered if it has been produced in the county of Cumbria. It should be in one continual length, not divided into individual sausages, contain rough chopped pork, and be heavily spiced with pepper.

Bongodog1964

Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:59 pm

Jouhou wrote:
LAH1 wrote:

I believe they were joking about having a vague and distant relationship with the earl of sandwich.
?

My wife went to school in their former stately home andmMy father in law buried the 10th Earl of Sandwich, is that a closer link ? :tombstone:

Bongodog1964

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:04 pm

Jouhou wrote:
LAH1 wrote:

?

My wife went to school in their former stately home andmMy father in law buried the 10th Earl of Sandwich, is that a closer link ? :tombstone:

bombayduck

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:11 pm

Roast chicken diced, smoked bacon diced, stilton cheese diced all mixed together with real mayo. Served on thick cut farm house white bread with butter.

NIKV69

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:28 pm

DocLightning wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Bacon optional.

Heresy. Sacrilege. Blasphemy.

Bacon is NEVER optional.

LOL there is a deli that has a signature sandwich of Chicken cutlet, bacon, american, lettuce tomato Russian dressing in a hero. It's biblical.

I can take it either way but my go to is without bacon tomato and sub the russian with mayo oil and vinegar

vikkyvik

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:42 am

Airstud wrote:

Incorrect.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Kiwirob

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:11 am

This is it, simple white bread, butter and bacon, there is no better sandwich, it's classic, it's simple and it tastes wonderful.

Kiwirob

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:13 am

NIKV69 wrote:

LOL there is a deli that has a signature sandwich of Chicken cutlet, bacon, american, lettuce tomato Russian dressing in a hero. It's biblical.

I can take it either way but my go to is without bacon tomato and sub the russian with mayo oil and vinegar

LOL you're not actually eating the deli's signature sandwich at all, you're eating something completely different.

c933103

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:18 am

Melting cheese + a little bit of meat + juicy vegetables = deal

Kiwirob

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:25 am

B777LRF wrote:
Sod sandwiches, what you really want is 'smoerrebroed' as the Danes do it:

Here we see, in all their glory, 4 of the Big 10 (clockwise from bottom left):

Fried filet of sole
Roastbeef
Eggs & Prawns
Liverpaté and salted beef

All served, as they must be, on uber healthy buttered rye bread.

If it's seafood it's always white bread not rye.

The problem with the open sandwich is you have to eat it with a knife and fork, which is why two slices of bread are infinitely better.

NIKV69

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:53 am

Kiwirob wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

LOL you're not actually eating the deli's signature sandwich at all, you're eating something completely different.

As long as the cutlet and cheese and bread are right all is well.

ACDC8

Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:41 pm

These are all incorrect ...

The only real sandwich is a Club

White bread, 3 slices toasted

Shaved turkey, bacon, tomatoes and mayonnaise

Cut into quarters

Anything else is simply an imposter :yes:
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Bongodog1964

Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:45 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
This is it, simple white bread, butter and bacon, there is no better sandwich, it's classic, it's simple and it tastes wonderful.

The only possible thing that can ever enhance such a delightful offering is a good dollop of HP sauce

fr8mech

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:10 pm

While I’m normally a fan of creating my own foods, a Cuban is the “correct sandwich”. In the cooler weather, right off the sandwich heaterer upperer. When it’s warm out, well, you still eat it hot.
When seconds count...the authorities are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.

seahawk

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:17 pm

There is no perfect sandwich, only many delicious ones.

Each region in each country has their own variations, many work for me.

mad99

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:46 pm

fr8mech wrote:
While I’m normally a fan of creating my own foods, a Cuban is the “correct sandwich”. In the cooler weather, right off the sandwich heaterer upperer. When it’s warm out, well, you still eat it hot.

+1

here in Madrid the fried squid baguette with a cold beer goes down a treat

CCGPV

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:53 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
These are all incorrect ...

The only real sandwich is a Club

White bread, 3 slices toasted

Shaved turkey, bacon, tomatoes and mayonnaise

Cut into quarters

Anything else is simply an imposter :yes:

The club sandwich is the best.

Sometimes when I'm feeling crazy I'll add onions. If I order it from a diner and it comes with chips I will put them on the sandwich for that extra crunchiness.
I have all day.

frmrCapCadet

Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:06 pm

Their quality control tended to the terrible, and sizes seemed to vary, but for a low carb sandwich it was often better than merely good, particularly with added tomato and lettuce:

Double Down (sandwich) The Double Down is a dish offered by Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) restaurants where a sandwich is formed by two pieces of fried chicken rather than the more usual halves of a bread roll. The Double Down contains bacon, cheese and sauce between two pieces of chicken fillet.

The smaller versions were about 550 calories, just about right for a man's meal, a little too much for my wife.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Andre3K

Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:55 am

What about a mustard and butter sandwich?

seb146

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:07 am

You people are all nuts and all wrong. What are you "hipsters" thinking??? Fried baloney, peanut butter (chunky) and banana slices on toasted rye IS the only sandwich.

Kids these days. sheesh.....
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter

WarRI1

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:33 am

Andre3K wrote:

When things were not so good in my youth, we ate mustard and butter sandwich's frequently. :old:

Andre3K

Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:07 am

WarRI1 wrote:
Andre3K wrote:

When things were not so good in my youth, we ate mustard and butter sandwich's frequently. :old:

LOL I'm dead. ☠️

seb146

Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:20 am

Andre3K wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
Andre3K wrote:

LOL I'm dead. ☠️

My brothers and I used to snack on margarine and saltines when we were hungry. Your move. ;)
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter

B777LRF

Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:18 am

Kiwirob wrote:

The problem with the open sandwich is you have to eat it with a knife and fork, which is why two slices of bread are infinitely better.

Most certainly not. The only seafood served on white bread are salmon and prawns; everything else is on rye bread.

As for the knives and forks thing well, yes, if you're out in nature that's a bit of a problem. Since most people I know of eat at a table, it's really not an issue.
From receips and radials over straight pipes to big fans - been there, done that, got the hearing defects to prove

Kiwirob

Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:09 am

B777LRF wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Most certainly not. The only seafood served on white bread are salmon and prawns; everything else is on rye bread.

As for the knives and forks thing well, yes, if you're out in nature that's a bit of a problem. Since most people I know of eat at a table, it's really not an issue.

There must be a difference between open sandwiches in Norway and Denmark, anything with seafood here is on white bread, everything else is on rye.

NIKV69

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:25 am

seb146 wrote:
You people are all nuts and all wrong. What are you "hipsters" thinking??? Fried baloney, peanut butter (chunky) and banana slices on toasted rye IS the only sandwich.

Kids these days. sheesh.....

Who are you Elvis?

seahawk

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:28 am

mad99 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

+1

here in Madrid the fried squid baguette with a cold beer goes down a treat

Tried it in Spain. Most delicious with a bit of Tomato and some mayonnaise.

ER757

Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:41 am

For my money, it would be pretty hard to improve upon the Rueben.
Except for one that I used to get some 30 years ago when living in the Chicago area. There was a little pizza shop near work that we used to order from on Friday nights.
They would do a classic Italian beef sandwich (those of you from Chicago know what I am talking about) but with a twist - they'd put on a couple slices of mozzarella cheese and just the smallest drizzle of pizza sauce, they put it in the pizza oven until the cheese melted and the bread got crunchy and toasted. Sheer culinary bliss!!

WarRI1

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:24 am

Kiwirob wrote:

I ate one everyday for breakfast in London, the best bacon I ever had.

frmrCapCadet

Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:37 pm

English bacon is made from the loin, while American is made from the belly. Both are cured, and American is generally smoked. Particularly in the morning most of us want what we are used to, and don't like substitutes. By lunch time typically we are more willing to be international and eat either. LOL
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

zrs70

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:36 pm

Grilled cheese. Simple and delicious.
18 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2018