Airstud
Topic Author
Posts: 3616
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

The correct sandwich

Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:53 am

consists of hickory-smoked turkey, on a dark bread such as pumpernickel or dark rye, with romaine lettuce, beefsteak tomatoes, bean sprouts, and a good, impactful smear of spicy Dijon mustard.





Onions optional.












(You heard me.)
Pancakes are delicious.
 
User avatar
WarRI1
Posts: 11064
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:51 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:06 am

Airstud wrote:
consists of hickory-smoked turkey, on a dark bread such as pumpernickel or dark rye, with romaine lettuce, beefsteak tomatoes, bean sprouts, and a good, impactful smear of spicy Dijon mustard.





Onions optional.

Nothing beats beef with anything including onions. In fact my favorite sandwich is a steak sandwich on torpedo well grilled with mushrooms well seared, all of it. Also a cup of coffee with cream, no sugar,












(You heard me.)
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.
 
BlueberryWheats
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:46 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:25 am

Depends on some things.

In summer, the perfect sandwich is a BLT, but you have to use a small variety of vine ripened, intense flavour tomatoes such as piccolo, cherry or baby plum. Plenty of good mayo too, maybe even coleslaw.

In winter it's a hot filling in a fresh baguette, such as Cumberland sausage and fried onion or shaved steak and cheese.
 
Airstud
Topic Author
Posts: 3616
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:29 am

BlueberryWheats wrote:
Depends on some things.

In summer, the perfect sandwich is a BLT, but you have to use a small variety of vine ripened, intense flavour tomatoes such as piccolo, cherry or baby plum. Plenty of good mayo too, maybe even coleslaw.

In winter it's a hot filling in a fresh baguette, such as Cumberland sausage and fried onion or shaved steak and cheese.


See, we just covered this:

hickory-smoked turkey
dark bread such as pumpernickel or dark rye
romaine lettuce
beefsteak tomatoes
bean sprouts
impactful smear of spicy Dijon mustard.


...together all form the correct sandwich.
Pancakes are delicious.
 
BlueberryWheats
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:46 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:47 am

It appears we have reached an impasse!

Btw, you never specified if your bread was toasted or not. That could be a game changer.
 
User avatar
BartSimpson
Posts: 345
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: The correct sandwich

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:44 am

Airstud wrote:
.. pumpernickel...


As I am living in pumpernickel-land - and we take the stuff seriously here - I'd really like to see your version of pumpernickel.

Pictures, please!
 
Jouhou
Posts: 581
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:14 am

Peanut butter and jelly.

Please not on pumpernickel. That would be just terrible.
 
B777LRF
Posts: 1999
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:23 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:13 am

Sod sandwiches, what you really want is 'smoerrebroed' as the Danes do it:

Image

Here we see, in all their glory, 4 of the Big 10 (clockwise from bottom left):

Fried filet of sole
Roastbeef
Eggs & Prawns
Liverpaté and salted beef

All served, as they must be, on uber healthy buttered rye bread.
From receips and radials over straight pipes to big fans - been there, done that, got the hearing defects to prove
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 4376
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: The correct sandwich

Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:24 am

Airstud wrote:
consists of hickory-smoked turkey, on a dark bread such as pumpernickel or dark rye, with romaine lettuce, beefsteak tomatoes, bean sprouts, and a good, impactful smear of spicy Dijon mustard.


A 'sandwich' with no cheese is NOT a sandwich.

And I know a guy who knew a guy who was married to the second cousin of the grand daughter of the half-brother of the illustrious Mr. Sandwich, inventor of the eponymous confection, so I would know.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 11674
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:33 am

If you are inferring what the perfect sandwich is remember that will depend on Geography. IMO chicken cutlet pounded thin, perfectly breaded. American Cheese, lettuce with either mayo or Russian dressing on a hero or wheat club roll. Bacon optional.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!
 
LAH1
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:24 pm

Re: The correct sandwich

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:07 pm

John Montague, 4th Earl of Sandwich, 1718 _ 1792. Known as the inventor of the sandwich. There's a Wiki on him but can't paste it as on a train now an iffy wi fi
 
User avatar
bgm
Posts: 1534
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:15 pm

I thought egg salad was more your thing.
When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin
 
Jouhou
Posts: 581
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:15 pm

LAH1 wrote:
John Montague, 4th Earl of Sandwich, 1718 _ 1792. Known as the inventor of the sandwich. There's a Wiki on him but can't paste it as on a train now an iffy wi fi


I believe they were joking about having a vague and distant relationship with the earl of sandwich.
 
LAH1
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:24 pm

Re: The correct sandwich

Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:08 pm

Yeah, I got the joke but thought a few facts might help. ☺
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 9913
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:43 pm

I'm not really a sandwich person, although I know what I like. The classic, and up to a few years ago eaten by the millions every day in France, "jambon-beurre" meaning ham-butter (in baguette, of course), I'm not a fan, I'll eat one if there is nothing else.

The cotoletta sandwich is probably my favourite, found in Italy, it's a cotoletta alla Milanese (breaded veal cutlet) in a sandwich.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
Channex757
Posts: 1743
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:07 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:10 pm

LAH1 wrote:
John Montague, 4th Earl of Sandwich, 1718 _ 1792. Known as the inventor of the sandwich. There's a Wiki on him but can't paste it as on a train now an iffy wi fi

The condensed version is....

Old Johnny was a fearsome gambler and often played cards for days on end. He refused to leave the card table to eat, and his staff devised a portable lunch consisting of carved meat between two slices of buttered bread that he could eat with one hand at the gaming table.

(Serious card rooms often had a communal pot discreetly placed in a corner to pee in for the same reason. Cards were often matters of loss of honour or estates as well as vast sums of money)
 
User avatar
DocLightning
Posts: 20737
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:13 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Bacon optional.


Heresy. Sacrilege. Blasphemy.

Bacon is NEVER optional.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan
 
User avatar
Channex757
Posts: 1743
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:07 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:14 pm

Mine was bacon, done on a griddle with two halved sausages and an egg between two slices of toast. Served with brown sauce on the Ringway Trading Estate from a food caravan at 6.30am on a frosty morning.

Nothing I have ever had in the form of a sandwich has ever tasted better than that breakfast sandwich I used to crave before work ever day.
 
Airstud
Topic Author
Posts: 3616
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:45 pm

Francoflier wrote:

A 'sandwich' with no cheese is NOT a sandwich.


Not if you're Jewish...
Pancakes are delicious.
 
Bongodog1964
Posts: 3429
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:29 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:54 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
Depends on some things.

In summer, the perfect sandwich is a BLT, but you have to use a small variety of vine ripened, intense flavour tomatoes such as piccolo, cherry or baby plum. Plenty of good mayo too, maybe even coleslaw.

In winter it's a hot filling in a fresh baguette, such as Cumberland sausage and fried onion or shaved steak and cheese.


Cumberland sausage should only ever be considered if it has been produced in the county of Cumbria. It should be in one continual length, not divided into individual sausages, contain rough chopped pork, and be heavily spiced with pepper.
 
Bongodog1964
Posts: 3429
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:29 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:59 pm

Jouhou wrote:
LAH1 wrote:
John Montague, 4th Earl of Sandwich, 1718 _ 1792. Known as the inventor of the sandwich. There's a Wiki on him but can't paste it as on a train now an iffy wi fi


I believe they were joking about having a vague and distant relationship with the earl of sandwich.
?

My wife went to school in their former stately home andmMy father in law buried the 10th Earl of Sandwich, is that a closer link ? :tombstone:
 
Bongodog1964
Posts: 3429
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:29 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:04 pm

Jouhou wrote:
LAH1 wrote:
John Montague, 4th Earl of Sandwich, 1718 _ 1792. Known as the inventor of the sandwich. There's a Wiki on him but can't paste it as on a train now an iffy wi fi


I believe they were joking about having a vague and distant relationship with the earl of sandwich.
?

My wife went to school in their former stately home andmMy father in law buried the 10th Earl of Sandwich, is that a closer link ? :tombstone:
 
User avatar
bombayduck
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:31 pm

Re: The correct sandwich

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:11 pm

Roast chicken diced, smoked bacon diced, stilton cheese diced all mixed together with real mayo. Served on thick cut farm house white bread with butter.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 11674
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:28 pm

DocLightning wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Bacon optional.


Heresy. Sacrilege. Blasphemy.

Bacon is NEVER optional.


LOL there is a deli that has a signature sandwich of Chicken cutlet, bacon, american, lettuce tomato Russian dressing in a hero. It's biblical.

I can take it either way but my go to is without bacon tomato and sub the russian with mayo oil and vinegar
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!
 
vikkyvik
Posts: 12215
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:58 pm

Re: The correct sandwich

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:42 am

Airstud wrote:
consists of hickory-smoked turkey, on a dark bread such as pumpernickel or dark rye, with romaine lettuce, beefsteak tomatoes, bean sprouts, and a good, impactful smear of spicy Dijon mustard.


Incorrect.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 11246
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: The correct sandwich

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:11 am

This is it, simple white bread, butter and bacon, there is no better sandwich, it's classic, it's simple and it tastes wonderful.

Image
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 11246
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: The correct sandwich

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:13 am

NIKV69 wrote:

LOL there is a deli that has a signature sandwich of Chicken cutlet, bacon, american, lettuce tomato Russian dressing in a hero. It's biblical.

I can take it either way but my go to is without bacon tomato and sub the russian with mayo oil and vinegar


LOL you're not actually eating the deli's signature sandwich at all, you're eating something completely different.
 
c933103
Posts: 1781
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: The correct sandwich

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:18 am

Melting cheese + a little bit of meat + juicy vegetables = deal
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 11246
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: The correct sandwich

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:25 am

B777LRF wrote:
Sod sandwiches, what you really want is 'smoerrebroed' as the Danes do it:

Image

Here we see, in all their glory, 4 of the Big 10 (clockwise from bottom left):

Fried filet of sole
Roastbeef
Eggs & Prawns
Liverpaté and salted beef

All served, as they must be, on uber healthy buttered rye bread.


If it's seafood it's always white bread not rye.

The problem with the open sandwich is you have to eat it with a knife and fork, which is why two slices of bread are infinitely better.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 11674
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:53 am

Kiwirob wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

LOL there is a deli that has a signature sandwich of Chicken cutlet, bacon, american, lettuce tomato Russian dressing in a hero. It's biblical.

I can take it either way but my go to is without bacon tomato and sub the russian with mayo oil and vinegar


LOL you're not actually eating the deli's signature sandwich at all, you're eating something completely different.


As long as the cutlet and cheese and bread are right all is well.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!
 
ACDC8
Posts: 7554
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Re: The correct sandwich

Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:41 pm

These are all incorrect ...

The only real sandwich is a Club

White bread, 3 slices toasted

Shaved turkey, bacon, tomatoes and mayonnaise

Cut into quarters

Anything else is simply an imposter :yes:
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut
 
Bongodog1964
Posts: 3429
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:29 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:45 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
This is it, simple white bread, butter and bacon, there is no better sandwich, it's classic, it's simple and it tastes wonderful.

Image


The only possible thing that can ever enhance such a delightful offering is a good dollop of HP sauce
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 6998
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:10 pm

While I’m normally a fan of creating my own foods, a Cuban is the “correct sandwich”. In the cooler weather, right off the sandwich heaterer upperer. When it’s warm out, well, you still eat it hot.
When seconds count...the authorities are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 6408
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:17 pm

There is no perfect sandwich, only many delicious ones.

Each region in each country has their own variations, many work for me.
 
User avatar
mad99
Posts: 1060
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:33 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:46 pm

fr8mech wrote:
While I’m normally a fan of creating my own foods, a Cuban is the “correct sandwich”. In the cooler weather, right off the sandwich heaterer upperer. When it’s warm out, well, you still eat it hot.


+1

here in Madrid the fried squid baguette with a cold beer goes down a treat
 
CCGPV
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:18 pm

Re: The correct sandwich

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:53 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
These are all incorrect ...

The only real sandwich is a Club

White bread, 3 slices toasted

Shaved turkey, bacon, tomatoes and mayonnaise

Cut into quarters

Anything else is simply an imposter :yes:


The club sandwich is the best.

Sometimes when I'm feeling crazy I'll add onions. If I order it from a diner and it comes with chips I will put them on the sandwich for that extra crunchiness.
I have all day.
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 1983
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: The correct sandwich

Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:06 pm

Their quality control tended to the terrible, and sizes seemed to vary, but for a low carb sandwich it was often better than merely good, particularly with added tomato and lettuce:

Double Down (sandwich) The Double Down is a dish offered by Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) restaurants where a sandwich is formed by two pieces of fried chicken rather than the more usual halves of a bread roll. The Double Down contains bacon, cheese and sauce between two pieces of chicken fillet.

The smaller versions were about 550 calories, just about right for a man's meal, a little too much for my wife.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)
 
Andre3K
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 10:11 pm

Re: The correct sandwich

Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:55 am

What about a mustard and butter sandwich?
 
seb146
Posts: 16319
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:07 am

You people are all nuts and all wrong. What are you "hipsters" thinking??? Fried baloney, peanut butter (chunky) and banana slices on toasted rye IS the only sandwich.

Kids these days. sheesh.....
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter
 
User avatar
WarRI1
Posts: 11064
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:51 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:33 am

Andre3K wrote:
What about a mustard and butter sandwich?



When things were not so good in my youth, we ate mustard and butter sandwich's frequently. :old:
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.
 
Andre3K
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 10:11 pm

Re: The correct sandwich

Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:07 am

WarRI1 wrote:
Andre3K wrote:
What about a mustard and butter sandwich?



When things were not so good in my youth, we ate mustard and butter sandwich's frequently. :old:


LOL I'm dead. ☠️
 
seb146
Posts: 16319
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:20 am

Andre3K wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
Andre3K wrote:
What about a mustard and butter sandwich?



When things were not so good in my youth, we ate mustard and butter sandwich's frequently. :old:


LOL I'm dead. ☠️


My brothers and I used to snack on margarine and saltines when we were hungry. Your move. ;)
You say Merry Christmas, I say All Holidays Matter
 
B777LRF
Posts: 1999
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:23 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:18 am

Kiwirob wrote:
If it's seafood it's always white bread not rye.

The problem with the open sandwich is you have to eat it with a knife and fork, which is why two slices of bread are infinitely better.


Most certainly not. The only seafood served on white bread are salmon and prawns; everything else is on rye bread.

As for the knives and forks thing well, yes, if you're out in nature that's a bit of a problem. Since most people I know of eat at a table, it's really not an issue.
From receips and radials over straight pipes to big fans - been there, done that, got the hearing defects to prove
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 11246
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: The correct sandwich

Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:09 am

B777LRF wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
If it's seafood it's always white bread not rye.

The problem with the open sandwich is you have to eat it with a knife and fork, which is why two slices of bread are infinitely better.


Most certainly not. The only seafood served on white bread are salmon and prawns; everything else is on rye bread.

As for the knives and forks thing well, yes, if you're out in nature that's a bit of a problem. Since most people I know of eat at a table, it's really not an issue.


There must be a difference between open sandwiches in Norway and Denmark, anything with seafood here is on white bread, everything else is on rye.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 11674
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:25 am

seb146 wrote:
You people are all nuts and all wrong. What are you "hipsters" thinking??? Fried baloney, peanut butter (chunky) and banana slices on toasted rye IS the only sandwich.

Kids these days. sheesh.....


Who are you Elvis?
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 6408
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:28 am

mad99 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
While I’m normally a fan of creating my own foods, a Cuban is the “correct sandwich”. In the cooler weather, right off the sandwich heaterer upperer. When it’s warm out, well, you still eat it hot.


+1

here in Madrid the fried squid baguette with a cold beer goes down a treat


Tried it in Spain. Most delicious with a bit of Tomato and some mayonnaise.
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 2890
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:41 am

For my money, it would be pretty hard to improve upon the Rueben.
Except for one that I used to get some 30 years ago when living in the Chicago area. There was a little pizza shop near work that we used to order from on Friday nights.
They would do a classic Italian beef sandwich (those of you from Chicago know what I am talking about) but with a twist - they'd put on a couple slices of mozzarella cheese and just the smallest drizzle of pizza sauce, they put it in the pizza oven until the cheese melted and the bread got crunchy and toasted. Sheer culinary bliss!!
 
User avatar
WarRI1
Posts: 11064
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:51 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:24 am

Kiwirob wrote:
This is it, simple white bread, butter and bacon, there is no better sandwich, it's classic, it's simple and it tastes wonderful.

Image



I ate one everyday for breakfast in London, the best bacon I ever had.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 1983
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: The correct sandwich

Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:37 pm

English bacon is made from the loin, while American is made from the belly. Both are cured, and American is generally smoked. Particularly in the morning most of us want what we are used to, and don't like substitutes. By lunch time typically we are more willing to be international and eat either. LOL
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)
 
zrs70
Posts: 3542
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2000 4:08 am

Re: The correct sandwich

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:36 pm

Grilled cheese. Simple and delicious.
18 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2018

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: adh214, Freakysh, mdsh00 and 14 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos