SheikhDjibouti

Re: The correct sandwich

Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:16 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
English bacon is made from the loin, while American is made from the belly. Both are cured, and American is generally smoked. Particularly in the morning most of us want what we are used to, and don't like substitutes. By lunch time typically we are more willing to be international and eat either. LOL

Despite curious rumors to the contrary, I consider myself something of a bacon expert.....

Most English bacon is actually Danish.

Most Danish bacon is actually Polish.

However, Danish farmers are paid a supplement to cover the additional cost of rearing UK pigs™.

Coff, Christian; Barling, David; Korthals, Michiel; Nielsen, Thorkild, Ethical Traceability and Communicating Food, Springer, 2008 ISBN 1-4020-8523-0.

In 2007, the Danish Bacon and Meat Council commissioned research at Leeds University (UK) into what features make a perfect bacon butty (the researchers refused to use the term sandwich deeming this to be incorrect terminology). Among the findings were that texture and crispiness of the bacon were just as important as taste.

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/11/world/europe/11bacon.html?n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/Subjects/B/Bacon

p.s. Because Danish bacon is cut from the loin of the pig rather than the belly, it tends to be a bit meatier than American bacon. This meatier flavor combines with the smoky, salty flavor imbued by the curing process to give what some call the best bacon taste available.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-danish-bacon.htm

pps - don't take my word for it; I haven't eaten bacon myself for...... many many years. I'll even swear as such on the holy Qu'ran :lol:
I promised myself I'd leave before the party turned ugly. I would quit at 1000 !
Here I am stuck at 994; each time I'm tempted to post, I find myself wondering who will even read it / what is the point?
Or maybe I've just got nothing left to say.

Classa64

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:56 am

I am so hungry now after reading this thread ....

White bread ( Texas Toast thickness),
Thick layer of smooth Peanut Butter
Lettuce ( the crunchy part close to the center)

Or

Grilled Cheese using Old Cheddar and Real Bacon bits mixed in.

C.
"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"

Georgetown

Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:15 pm

Italian Beef sandwich at Mr. Beef in Chicago achieves peak correctness during the hours of 2am - 4am. There is no other correct sandwich during this timeframe. It’s just a fact.
Let's go Hoyas!

LAH1

Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:42 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:
English bacon is made from the loin, while American is made from the belly. Both are cured, and American is generally smoked. Particularly in the morning most of us want what we are used to, and don't like substitutes. By lunch time typically we are more willing to be international and eat either. LOL

Despite curious rumors to the contrary, I consider myself something of a bacon expert.....

Most English bacon is actually Danish.

Most Danish bacon is actually Polish.

However, Danish farmers are paid a supplement to cover the additional cost of rearing UK pigs™.

Coff, Christian; Barling, David; Korthals, Michiel; Nielsen, Thorkild, Ethical Traceability and Communicating Food, Springer, 2008 ISBN 1-4020-8523-0.

In 2007, the Danish Bacon and Meat Council commissioned research at Leeds University (UK) into what features make a perfect bacon butty (the researchers refused to use the term sandwich deeming this to be incorrect terminology). Among the findings were that texture and crispiness of the bacon were just as important as taste.

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/11/world/europe/11bacon.html?n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/Subjects/B/Bacon

p.s. Because Danish bacon is cut from the loin of the pig rather than the belly, it tends to be a bit meatier than American bacon. This meatier flavor combines with the smoky, salty flavor imbued by the curing process to give what some call the best bacon taste available.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-danish-bacon.htm

pps - don't take my word for it; I haven't eaten bacon myself for...... many many years. I'll even swear as such on the holy Qu'ran :lol:

But but... English bacon from English outdoor reared pigs is the ONLY bacon. Danish pig farming standards are not good from a humanitarian point of view and whilst I enjoy eating meat I do like to think that whatever it was had a happy life.

Bostrom

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:06 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
B777LRF wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
If it's seafood it's always white bread not rye.

The problem with the open sandwich is you have to eat it with a knife and fork, which is why two slices of bread are infinitely better.

Most certainly not. The only seafood served on white bread are salmon and prawns; everything else is on rye bread.

As for the knives and forks thing well, yes, if you're out in nature that's a bit of a problem. Since most people I know of eat at a table, it's really not an issue.

There must be a difference between open sandwiches in Norway and Denmark, anything with seafood here is on white bread, everything else is on rye.

Yes, dark rye bread is more popular in Denmark. Where smørrebrød (without doubt the best sandwiches available) are mostly made with rye bread. With a few exceptions, like salmon and prawns. And if I'm not mistaken Stjerneskud (white fish and prawns) is usually made with white bread. But Sol over Gudhjem (smoked herring) as well as other fishbased ones are made with dark rye bread.

Kiwirob

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:35 pm

I don’t believe you could consider smørbrød a sandwich, it only has a single slice of bread, a traditional sandwich has two slices with filling in the middle, designed to be eaten without a knife and fork, something you can’t do with smørbrød.

frmrCapCadet

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:05 am

Kiwirob wrote:
I don’t believe you could consider smørbrød a sandwich, it only has a single slice of bread, a traditional sandwich has two slices with filling in the middle, designed to be eaten without a knife and fork, something you can’t do with smørbrød.

When visiting Copenhagen several years ago I had those for breakfast most mornings. three small sandwiches on a paper tray, and very easy to pick up and eat. Incidentally I had to walk by MacDonalds and several Falafel places to find smorbrod - and it was the only one I could find (there must have been more).
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

dfwjim1

Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:43 am

fr8mech wrote:
While I’m normally a fan of creating my own foods, a Cuban is the “correct sandwich”. In the cooler weather, right off the sandwich heaterer upperer. When it’s warm out, well, you still eat it hot.

I live in South Florida and the Cuban Sandwich is the king of sandwiches in the area.

Jouhou

Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:14 am

How about... Ice cream sandwiches?

Also a direct translation of "smørbrød" is butter bread... It's literally toast. Just tends to be fancier with more stuff piled on it.

Kiwirob

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:41 am

Jouhou wrote:
How about... Ice cream sandwiches?

Also a direct translation of "smørbrød" is butter bread... It's literally toast. Just tends to be fancier with more stuff piled on it.

To be toast is has to be toasted, in Denmark they don't toast the brød in a smørbrød.

From my experience Scandinavians aren't all that big on toast, for example most hotels won't have a toaster, unlike in the UK or NZ every hotel will. I love my toaster I couldn't live without it.

Tvilum

Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:18 pm

Jouhou wrote:

The Danish spelling is smørrebrød, which Google translate to sandwiches.

Keep in mind, that there are different kinds of smørrebrød for different kinds of occasions.

- Højbelagt smørrebørd. (Google translate: Highly coated sandwiches)
The kind you buy at restaurants, where you cannot see the rye bread for all the toppings. Here you definitely need a knife and fork to eat it.

- Frokostsmørrebrød. (Lunch sandwiches)
The kind you can buy at supermarkets or other shops and eat for lunch. Knife and fork is optional. If you are a craftsman eating during your lunchbreak in the wan, no need for knife and fork. Going back to the office and eating at your desk, you can use a knife and fork.

- Håndmad. (Hand food)
The kind your mother made and put in your lunchbox for you to eat at school during breaks. No knife and fork needed.

frmrCapCadet

Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:29 pm

Tv - thanks for that information. Wish I had access to all that information and how and where to go when I was there. My hosts at the BandB, Lonely Planet, and other guides did not seem to have that info. Probably because most visitors havent asked for it. I have always thought that would be a great fund-raiser for some of the organisations at our street fairs.

My hosts did tell me about the best sweet breads bakeries, but my blood glucose meters 'said' only once or twice a week.

Jouhou

Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:21 pm

Tvilum wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

Keep in mind, that there are different kinds of smørrebrød for different kinds of occasions.

The kind you buy at restaurants, where you cannot see the rye bread for all the toppings. Here you definitely need a knife and fork to eat it.

The kind you can buy at supermarkets or other shops and eat for lunch. Knife and fork is optional. If you are a craftsman eating during your lunchbreak in the wan, no need for knife and fork. Going back to the office and eating at your desk, you can use a knife and fork.

- Håndmad. (Hand food)
The kind your mother made and put in your lunchbox for you to eat at school during breaks. No knife and fork needed.

I believe I copy and pasted the Norwegian word, I can't make non-English characters on this tablet so I have to copy and paste.

Also bread is best toasted, come on now!

kellyon

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:49 am

A Vermont sandwich, With a fried egg. On a plain or onion bagel.
1 plain or onion bagel, toasted
good quality, thickly sliced smoked turkey
2 slices of bacon, fried, somewhere between chewy and crispy
Cheese of your choice, I like pepperjack
1 granny smith apple, sliced
1 fried egg (fry it in the bacon grease)

Marvelous.

Airstud
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:21 pm

Jouhou wrote:
Tvilum wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

- Håndmad. (Hand food)

I believe I copy and pasted the Norwegian word, I can't make non-English characters on this tablet so I have to copy and paste.

What kind of tablet are you using? On Android devices, if you long-touch a letter key it'll give you a little pop-up with a lot of similar/accented characters based on it.
Pancakes are delicious.

Jouhou

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:12 am

Airstud wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
Tvilum wrote:

- Håndmad. (Hand food)

What kind of tablet are you using? On Android devices, if you long-touch a letter key it'll give you a little pop-up with a lot of similar/accented characters based on it.

Omg thanks for the pro-tip! Now I can write in Français again and spell Scandinavian words correctly!

Kiwirob

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:15 am

Jouhou wrote:
Tvilum wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

- Håndmad. (Hand food)

The Norwegian word and the Danish word are almost the same, in Norwegian it translates to open sandwich. Written danish and Norwegian are also the same, the Danes fuck it up when they start speaking.

Jouhou

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:21 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
Tvilum wrote:

- Håndmad. (Hand food)

The Norwegian word and the Danish word are almost the same, in Norwegian it translates to open sandwich. Written danish and Norwegian are also the same, the Danes fuck it up when they start speaking.

I was referring to the etymology of the words. Like how the Swedish smörgås has the sillier root meaning of " butter goose".

frmrCapCadet

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:01 pm

If I long hold the 'o' I get smooooooooooooooooooo...... Wish my Windows would do it - anybody know how, and is it easy?

Jouhou

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:27 pm

[photoid][/photoid]
frmrCapCadet wrote:
If I long hold the 'o' I get smooooooooooooooooooo...... Wish my Windows would do it - anybody know how, and is it easy?

Find the character map, from there you can find codes for characters you use frequently. We were given the codes for French characters early in our education, but all the other ones are in there too. Scandinavians have the characters discussed above on their keyboards.

https://usefulshortcuts.com/alt-codes/accents-alt-codes.php

Bostrom

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:43 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

Kamelåså!

seb146

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:36 pm

Has anyone been told they eat their sandwich upside down? My father used to say this when I would eat with the meat on the bottom. He was an odd duck.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Kiwirob

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:39 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:

That’s were Apple is king there’s a globe button next to the space bar where you can change keyboard, so I have English and Norwegian keyboards on my phone.

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:32 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:

Yes it's easy to switch to Android.
Pancakes are delicious.

WarRI1

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:34 am

seb146 wrote:
Has anyone been told they eat their sandwich upside down? My father used to say this when I would eat with the meat on the bottom. He was an odd duck.

I have never seen a sandwich without the meat on the bottom. Maybe egg or tuna salad where you put the lettuce on the bottom to keep the bread together.. I think he was busting your chops maybe?
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

seb146

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:54 am

WarRI1 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I have never seen a sandwich without the meat on the bottom. Maybe egg or tuna salad where you put the lettuce on the bottom to keep the bread together.. I think he was busting your chops maybe?

He had untreated mental issues. When I make tuna salad, I put the tuna on the bread then put lettuce and another slice of bread and eat it. Egg salad is wrong on so many levels so I won't go there. I don't get it. Probably some OCD thing.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

WildcatYXU

Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:52 am

Grilled chicken, Gouda, tomato and mayo w/black pepper on a multigrain bun. Simply delicious.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

DocLightning

Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:03 am

mad99 wrote:

here in Madrid the fried squid baguette with a cold beer goes down a treat

Seguro que no. Un bocadillo de jamón serrano, por favor. (Surely not. A serrano ham sandwich, please.)

Gracias.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan