FJWH
Topic Author

Baggage Claim AMS-LAX-SAN

Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:23 am

Hi there,

My GF is flying from AMS to LAX (KL) and onwards to San Diego (SKywesy/Delta) next week. Maybe a weird question but i don't know the answer: after arriving at LAX, does she need to pick up her luggage and have it checked in for the next flight or is it being forwarded automatically to the LAX-SAN flight?

Regards, Frederik
FlightS in the next 3 months: MSP, PHX, MEM, NCE, TFS, BCN. All round trips from AMS

DLFREEBIRD

Re: Baggage Claim AMS-LAX-SAN

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:11 am

she has to claim her luggage in LAX because LAX is her first point of entry into the U.S. However she should tag her bags in AMS all the way to SAN. She needs to pick up her bags once she lands and take them with her to customs, once she's cleared customs she just walks a few feet to drop them off again and DL will put them on her plane to SAN.

FJWH
Topic Author

Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:14 am

Thanks DLFREEBIRD. That's all she (and me, flying in a few days later) have to think of? I mean, other things i should be aware of? Last time i was in the states was a couple years back soo :)..
FlightS in the next 3 months: MSP, PHX, MEM, NCE, TFS, BCN. All round trips from AMS

chimborazo

Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:07 am

You need to have an ESTA or visa if you or your partner don't qualify. I assume you have that as your final destination is in the US anyway?

My brother - British - and his wife - Russian - had booked a flight to Guatemala last year via Atlanta iirc. I asked if they'd got the appropriate ESTA & visa and got a mouthful from her that they were only transiting and didn't need one. Fair enough- I'll come and pick you up from Heathrow the day after you fly to Atlanta then.... they researched and were shocked they needed one. A lot of folks don't realise the US doesn't have a zoned airside (because you can just walk out of the airport if you want) - ironic as my brother and I had been to Ecuador via Houston a few years ago and of course went through immigration and customs before onward journey.

So it cost my bro ten mins and fourteen bucks and my sister in law an application form, an interview in London and a couple hundred bucks. A lot of money and effort for two hours sat in an airport :-)

I routed Curitiba- Sao Paolo - Dallas - Seattle - Walla Walla last year and of course went through immigration and customs at Dallas. It was pretty painless and recheck was quick (bags already tagged through as described above). Woe betide anyone in a tight connection on first port of entry to US though- it can sometimes take a while to get through immigration.

And it ruins all that time that can be better spent in the various airport bars working your way through the various local beers :-)
Last edited by chimborazo on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

chimborazo

Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:12 am

Correction in Houston I don't believe we had to collect our bags as it's one of a number of US airports where your bag can check through, but we certainly went through immigration. I remember going out for a smoke with one of the Continental cabin crew from our flight.