Dutchy
Topic Author

Doctors demand lower pay

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:00 pm

Hundreds of Canadian doctors demand lower salaries. (Yes, lower.)

In a move that can only be described as utterly Canadian, hundreds of doctors in Quebec are protesting their pay raises, saying they already make too much money.

As of Wednesday afternoon, more than 700 physicians, residents and medical students from the Canadian province had signed an online petition asking for their pay raises to be canceled. A group named Médecins Québécois Pour le Régime (MQRP), which represents Quebec doctors and advocates for public health, started the petition Feb. 25.

“We, Quebec doctors who believe in a strong public system, oppose the recent salary increases negotiated by our medical federations,” the petition reads in French.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... e7861db034

It is an interesting move and I understand it. They earn a lot of money, while in other parts of the health services lots of downsizing has taken place. I think the medical profession is within the public domain, no matter how it is financed and the incomes should be at that level. The Washington Post article didn't get that.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

tommy1808

Re: Doctors demand lower pay

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:45 pm

Dutchy wrote:
It is an interesting move and I understand it..

that is the difference between a healthcare professional and just a professional.

But it also makes a deeper sense, a good nurse can take a lot of work of a doctor and make their work a lot easier, so having more money available for that is a win-win-win.I also once had my boss rather hire an assistant than raising my pay, because the help was much more valuable than more money in terms of life-work balance. So that factor may play a role here too.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

Dutchy
Topic Author

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:50 pm

A good nurse might be more beneficial to the health of the patient than a doctor.

In The Netherlands Nurses are paid less than their peers of equal education and doctors are paid way more than their peers. And nurses work much harder (physically and in hours/irregularity). There is a disconnect to this as well. Perhaps in Canada, it is the same?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Francoflier

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:54 pm

Just when I thought Canada could not out-Canada itself...
:biggrin:
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

stratosphere

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:16 pm

While I applaud the doctors I have to say is this the heath system you are touting we should have here in the US? Reading that nurses story sounds like Canada has all the problems and maybe more that we do here.

einsteinboricua

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:34 pm

stratosphere wrote:
While I applaud the doctors I have to say is this the heath system you are touting we should have here in the US? Reading that nurses story sounds like Canada has all the problems and maybe more that we do here.

Tell me of a system that's working flawlessly, with everyone happy.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."