MikeDrop
Topic Author

Ramadan 2018 begins tomorrow

Wed May 16, 2018 6:33 pm

I wish Ramadan Kareem to all of our Muslim friends.

Dutchy

Re: Ramadan 2018 begins tomorrow

Wed May 16, 2018 6:48 pm

That is a nice touch, from me too. Peace to the world.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

casinterest

Wed May 16, 2018 7:04 pm

Ramadan Kareem.

A tough time of the year for those adhering to it in the Northern Hemisphere.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

MikeDrop
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2018 7:38 pm

Dutchy wrote:
I have decided to take it at face value. If Mike to be an arch, we will address it then. Fair enough?

I'm new here. What is an "arch"? And how would you address it, as you say.

Thanks

salttee

Wed May 16, 2018 7:39 pm

Sure mike, sure

SOBHI51

Wed May 16, 2018 10:38 pm

Will take it as face value, thank you.
After all this is month for forgiveness.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

DocLightning

Thu May 17, 2018 7:47 am

If I may. Where I live and work, I have a large number of Muslim colleagues and patients. They originate from all over the Mid-East and Subcontinent (Yemen, Palestine, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, India, Pakistan, etc.) Some are Shia and some are Sunni.

They all tell me that "Ramadan Mubarak" is the appropriate greeting. Yet here, I have had a number of our Muslim forum members tell me that "Ramadan Kareem" is more appropriate. Why is there this debate?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

fr8mech

Thu May 17, 2018 8:00 am

DocLightning wrote:
They all tell me that "Ramadan Mubarak" is the appropriate greeting. Yet here, I have had a number of our Muslim forum members tell me that "Ramadan Kareem" is more appropriate. Why is there this debate?

I use them interchangeably, as my Muslim friends do. A quick internet search tells use that "Ramadan Mubarak" is loosely translated as "Happy Ramadan", while "Ramadan Kareem" is translated as "Generous Ramadan". I've asked one before, a few years ago, and he said it really didn't make a difference.

"Merry Christmas" vs. "Happy Holidays" vs. "Season's Greeting"?
When seconds count...the authorities are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.

tommy1808

Thu May 17, 2018 8:32 am

casinterest wrote:
Ramadan Kareem.

It is only a hard time when you are not the one choosing it. If i like to drop hammers on my foot four weeks in a row once a year, no one would call that a "touch time", everyone would call it self inflicted pain.

Ramadan Kareem ist just as fine as marry Christmas, but all the "oh, no food or drink during daylight, musst be so tough"...it is not tough, it is a hobby.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

fr8mech

Thu May 17, 2018 9:30 am

tommy1808 wrote:
It is only a hard time when you are not the one choosing it. If i like to drop hammers on my foot four weeks in a row once a year, no one would call that a "touch time", everyone would call it self inflicted pain.

Ramadan Kareem ist just as fine as marry Christmas, but all the "oh, no food or drink during daylight, musst be so tough"...it is not tough, it is a hobby.

best regards
Thomas

If you are incapable of wishing those who are observing this holy month good wishes, why don't you just refrain from posting here and starting your own thread castigating those who participate?

Because you can't...your religion is Atheism and it, and your arrogance compel you to insult those that practice religion any chance you get.
When seconds count...the authorities are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.

tommy1808

Thu May 17, 2018 10:10 am

fr8mech wrote:
If you are incapable of wishing those who are observing this holy month good wishes, why don't you just refrain from posting here

Work in your reading comprehension, you can do it!

Because you can't...your religion is Atheism and it, and your arrogance compel you to insult those that practice religion any chance you get.

Don't tell me about your imaginary friend and you will never hear from anything at all about religion.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

casinterest

Thu May 17, 2018 1:10 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Ramadan Kareem.

best regards
Thomas

It is a tough time of year for it . You try going without water or food for 14-16 hours a day during summer. Winter is usually much better for Ramadan. For those that practice their faith, it is a tough experience to go through, but one that they look forward too. I just know it is tougher since the Islamic calendar follows the moon and not the earth's path. I watched coworkers lose 30 pounds during Ramadan when it occurs in the Summer.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

MikeDrop
Topic Author

Thu May 17, 2018 2:15 pm

fr8mech wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

I use them interchangeably, as my Muslim friends do. A quick internet search tells use that "Ramadan Mubarak" is loosely translated as "Happy Ramadan", while "Ramadan Kareem" is translated as "Generous Ramadan". I've asked one before, a few years ago, and he said it really didn't make a difference.

"Merry Christmas" vs. "Happy Holidays" vs. "Season's Greeting"?

My understanding is that Ramadan Mubarak means Blessed Ramadan and Ramadan Kareem means Happy or Grnerous Ramadan.

MikeDrop
Topic Author

Thu May 17, 2018 2:25 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Ramadan Kareem.

best regards
Thomas

Why do you care? Why do show such disrespect? What do you think you accomplished with this post? I doubt that it had the effect you were hoping for, unless you are just a troll and you like pissing people off for no reason.

This place would be better off without you. I doubt that anyone would miss you if you deleted your account. Do us all a favor and just leave.

Freakysh

Fri May 18, 2018 5:29 am

Again my post deleted.

This place is a joke and echo chamber as long as you toe the partisan line. Anything highlighting the hypocrisy is out.

TheFlyingDisk

Fri May 18, 2018 7:12 am

casinterest wrote:
It is a tough time of year for it . You try going without water or food for 14-16 hours a day during summer. Winter is usually much better for Ramadan. For those that practice their faith, it is a tough experience to go through, but one that they look forward too. I just know it is tougher since the Islamic calendar follows the moon and not the earth's path. I watched coworkers lose 30 pounds during Ramadan when it occurs in the Summer.

It depends actually. There is a fatwa stating that for those fasting in the upper latitudes in the summer, they have the option of adhering to the fasting times in Makkah, which makes it shorter than the actual time needed for fasting. This however is not a problem I've faced before - living on the equator my fasting period is pretty even whether it is winter, spring, summer or fall.

Anyways, thank you for your wishes MikeDrop. Truly appreciate it.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Pellegrine

Fri May 18, 2018 9:51 pm

Ramadan Mubarak!
oh boy, here we go!!!

CCGPV

Fri May 18, 2018 10:17 pm

Freakysh wrote:
Again my post deleted.

This place is a joke and echo chamber as long as you toe the partisan line. Anything highlighting the hypocrisy is out.

Tell me about it.

Its pathetic.
I have all day.