scbriml

Re: FIFA World Cup Thread

Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:36 pm

Germany loses two games and finishes bottom of their group.

O.M.G! :shock:

I seem to have slipped into some strange reverse-parallel universe where the German football team is poor and England moves into the knock-out stages with a game to spare.

I need a drink! :rotfl:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Dutchy

Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:38 pm

scbriml wrote:

I seem to have slipped into some strange reverse-parallel universe where the German football team is poor and England moves into the knock-out stages with a game to spare.

And the Dutch and Italian teams not present at all.....
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

tommy1808

Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:44 pm

scbriml wrote:

Well deserved too....

Well, soccer is the world's most popular sport because of outcomes like this. And South Korea did play a top notch game.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

Dano1977

Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:50 pm

Don't mention the VAR!

I did, but I think I got away with it!
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

jetwet1

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:06 pm

scbriml wrote:

I am with you (refer to my earlier posts) at this point, the only thing that could make it better is if the Argentinian team hadn't made it through to the next round.

MrHMSH
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:30 pm

Football, bloody hell.

This has been a fantastically unpredictable World Cup.

scbriml

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:37 pm

Dano1977 wrote:
Don't mention the VAR!

Bravo! Well played, Sir.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Bricktop

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:51 pm

Dano1977 wrote:
Don't mention the VAR!

You started it!

Dutchy

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:58 pm

Bricktop wrote:
Dano1977 wrote:
Don't mention the VAR!

You started it!

Well played, sir!

tu204

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:11 pm

Dutchy wrote:
tu204 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Sure they can host it just fine, but better than any other country? Com'on really? Do you really believe that shit?

Yup. Absolutely.

As good or better than any country other than China.

Can I sell you my make believe island please?

Still probably a result from corruption by FIFA members.

Pfff....have fun in makebelieve land...

Facts say otherwise, however you have your head in the sand.

Oh, and dont forget to say that the Russian team is taking Meldonium by the kilos and that all the favourites of the tournament were highly likely posioned by some Novichok :D
Last edited by tu204 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

Dutchy

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:12 pm

tu204 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
tu204 wrote:

Yup. Absolutely.

Can I sell you my make believe island please?

Still probably a result from corruption by FIFA members.

Pfff....have fun in makebelieve land...

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

wingman

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:54 pm

scbriml wrote:

To think that you have to open this thread and watch Trump mocking you (correctly I might add) is quite funny. Surely someone can find a meme where he's saying "Germany, what a disaster!"

Aesma

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:55 am

tu204 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Sure they can host it just fine, but better than any other country? Com'on really? Do you really believe that shit?

Yup. Absolutely.

It's not really Russia's fault but with the country being so big it means teams and supporters are taking planes all the time, I don't find that great at all. It will be the same/worse with US-Canada-Mexico.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aesma

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:58 am

Too bad, I only watched the one match Germany won (barely, but with a nice free kick).

wingman wrote:
scbriml wrote:

To think that you have to open this thread and watch Trump mocking you (correctly I might add) is quite funny. Surely someone can find a meme where he's saying "Germany, what a disaster!"

How many football/soccer world cups has the US won ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

af773atmsp

Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:31 am

Aesma wrote:
How many football/soccer world cups has the US won ?

What's nice about having an average team is that when we lose/get eliminated no one is really shocked.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

wingman

Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:53 am

We dont even qualify these days. But we have won every single World Series so that’s something. Anyway, my real goal was to have people make more Trump memes and it’s working. We should have one for every team I say.

lugie

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:07 am

wingman wrote:
We dont even qualify these days. But we have won every single World Series so that’s something. Anyway, my real goal was to have people make more Trump memes and it’s working. We should have one for every team I say.

Who'd have believed they of all countries would finish on top of Group F:

Kudos from a heartbroken German :lol:
Q400 E175 CRJ9 CRJX A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 B733 B738 B764 B788
X3 LH 4U TP US YX SN EI FR LA YW IB CM UA DL 9E
FRA STR HAM TXL ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR SJO PTY

PanHAM

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:48 am

Dear friends from England, look at it this way, this time you cannot lose the Penalty Shooting against Germany.. Good luck
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

JJJ

Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:15 am

So England and Belgium play today, both have qualified and have the same goal difference, yet whoever gets 2nd play will go on the easy side of the draw.

I'm not missing this game, looks like it will be hilarious.

jetwet1

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:07 pm

Yep, it should be.... Interesting.....

PanHAM

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:40 pm

They hoped to return in the "Siegerflieger", now trhe "Loser Cruiser" has landed at FRA
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

MrHMSH
Topic Author

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:10 pm

So, England and Belgium played out one of the worst games at this WC, Belgium edged it with a well-taken goal.

Full list of knockout games:
France vs Argentina
Uruguay vs Portugal
Spain vs Russia
Croatia vs Denmark
Brazil vs Mexico
Belgium vs Japan
Sweden vs Switzerland
Colombia vs England

Who do we think? I predict:
France
Portugal
Spain
Croatia
Brazil
Belgium
Switzerland
England (being optimistic!)

Aesma

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:03 pm

Argentina hasn't proved very good so far so I hope France wins it. If we lose then at least let it be because the other team plays a great game, not because of some dubious action amid a borefest.

jetwet1

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:31 pm

MrHMSH wrote:
So, England and Belgium played out one of the worst games at this WC, Belgium edged it with a well-taken goal.

Full list of knockout games:
France vs Argentina
Uruguay vs Portugal
Spain vs Russia
Croatia vs Denmark
Brazil vs Mexico
Belgium vs Japan
Sweden vs Switzerland
Colombia vs England

Who do we think? I predict:
France
Portugal
Spain
Croatia
Brazil
Belgium
Switzerland
England (being optimistic!)

France
Portugal
Spain
Croatia
Brazil
Belgium
Sweden
England...Maybe, sort of depends who Southgate fields......

lugie

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:36 pm

Even with Germany out I'm really excited for the knockout stage, some really promising (and open!) games coming up.

My predictions:
France vs Argentina -> A tough one, both played underwhelming (France) to nearly catastrophic (Argentina) group stages. I'm more inclined towards France but Argentina may have a chance if Messi has a good day like he did against Nigeria.

Uruguay vs Portugal -> Similarly tough, if not closer. I see a slight advantage for Portugal simply because of how extremely effective they played in the knockout games in 2016. If however, Ronaldo underperforms like against Iran, Uruguay will capitalize on every weakness and it might be all over quickly

Spain vs Russia -> This one should be rather straightforward. While Spain hasn't exactly played amazingly so far, it only took one halfway decent team to indubitably prove that Russia's first two matches were more the exception than the rule.

Croatia vs Denmark -> This one's easy. I don't even like Croatia but their group stage performance was excellent. Denmark got lucky against Peru, played decent against Australia but deserve to be kicked out for the shit show they pulled with France in the 3rd game.

Brazil vs Mexico -> Based on the performances in the teams' respective 3rd games this one is obvious. If Mexico however finds a way back to playing like they did against Germany and Brazil happened to deliver something resembling the Switzerland game or the first 90+2 minutes of the Costa Rica match, there might be a chance for a huge upset.

Belgium vs Japan -> I have a lot of respect for Japan's performance in their group but frankly I don't see a scenario where this isn't Belgium's to win.

Sweden vs Switzerland -> Effectively a toss-up. Switzerland showed a disciplined performance against Brazil and great morals against Serbia. Sweden though managed to finish on top of group F, beating Mexico by a large margin in a game where they were under pressure from the first minute. Huge respect. To quote my Swiss friend: "The only chance Switzerland has is if Sweden has a really good day, because the Swiss always play well when their opponent is great and horrible when they're bad." ;)

Colombia vs England -> This one might be the hardest. I see a small advantage for England though and I firmly believe that if they clear this hurdle they might actually be in for the long run. Who knows, maybe it's coming home after all.
Q400 E175 CRJ9 CRJX A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 B733 B738 B764 B788
X3 LH 4U TP US YX SN EI FR LA YW IB CM UA DL 9E
FRA STR HAM TXL ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR SJO PTY

Jalap

Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:11 pm

My prediction is that Belgium and England will meet again in the final. With Croatia as an outsider.

Because those are the only 3 teams that have the quality AND have the attitude to go all the way. France, Brazil, Argentina & Spain have put up a cynical show and just don't deserve to reach that final game.

Since I'm Belgian, I'm not even 25% objective. But I do feel that Belgium has the edge over all others because we're just as comfortable when we have possession as when we don't have possession. Croatia is one step behind in overall quality and England I think won't find a solution to beat us in the final (because they're overall less experienced).

mke717spotter

Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:55 pm

The end of Poland-Japan shamed the World Cup. Ridiculously, Japan advanced over Senegal by virtue of collecting two fewer yellow cards. Can't they get these two sides together and have a PK shoot-out or something?
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

Dutchy

Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:49 pm

mke717spotter wrote:
The end of Poland-Japan shamed the World Cup. Ridiculously, Japan advanced over Senegal by virtue of collecting two fewer yellow cards. Can't they get these two sides together and have a PK shoot-out or something?

Belgium and England almost did the same for the lead in their pool. Alternatively, they can toss a coin. A shoot-out sounds nice, but most teams play several hundred miles apart, so a logistic nightmare.

scbriml

Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:32 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Alternatively, they can toss a coin.

The whole point of adding the disciplinary tie-breaker was to help avoid the metaphorical toss of a coin - drawing lots. Better the result is decided by on the pitch actions than off the pitch.

I don't see how you can avoid an England/Belgium scenario where two teams have won both games and play each other in the third game. You might be able to try and avoid it by matching the two top teams in each group in the first game. But even then, considering England's group, that could have seen a tepid 0-0 draw with both teams expecting to win their other two games.

LDLT

Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:13 am

Not sure if it was mentioned..but to all those surprised by Poland (no offense to anyone from Poland, just stating the obvious)
Poland played a lot of friendly home matches in the past 4 years, buffing their FIFA rating. In fact the last away international friendly they played was in May 2014, against Germany, ended in a goalless draw.
Out of their last 23 international friendlies in the past 4 and a half years, only 1 was away, 22 were at home.
This way they buffed their FIFA rating, by quite a bit. Going as high as top 5, and getting in Pot 1 during the group draw. Spain, Croatia, England were in Pot 2, realistically they could demolish the Polish team any day of the week.

FIFA ratings are the official ones, not very accurate though.
Elo ratings seem to be much better
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Foo ... lo_Ratings

Aesma

Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:31 pm

Well so far I got my wish, not a boring game !

tommy1808

Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:45 pm

Aesma wrote:
Well so far I got my wish, not a boring game !

Fills me with memories from 20 years ago, since I am watching in the same room, with some of the same people.
Very nice game... reasonable fair and 6 goals so far...

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

Aesma

Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:01 pm

Pfiou that was tense !

LDLT

Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:07 pm

Noice game
Feel bad for Messi

wingman

Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:19 pm

France looking very deadly there as always. A whole new tournament now boys.

Again I don't see any leadership from Messi at this level. I understand the pressure of his home press and fans must be beyond intense but he seems so lost without his club midfield by his side.

Dutchy

Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:26 pm

Congrats France, now Uruguay vs Portugal should be a good game as well/

scbriml

Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:54 pm

wingman wrote:

Indeed, but Argentina's defence was quite poor. I asked my friend if the French strikers had been cross-bred with greyhounds, or if Argentina's defenders had been cross-bred with shire horses!

That said, a most enjoyable game and Argentina had a chance with the very last kick of the match. Both equalisers will be contenders for 'goal of the tournament'.

Looking forward to this evening's game after suffering WC withdrawal symptoms yesterday. :hyper:

scbriml

Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:17 pm

Well, another highly entertaining game. Cavani's second deserving of winning any game.

Somewhat disappointed with Portugal - they didn't create even a decent half-chance in open play and CR7 largely anonymous.

Uruguay vs France a very tasty QF next Friday.

Dano1977

Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:04 am

scbriml wrote:
wingman wrote:

Indeed, but Argentina's defence was quite poor. I asked my friend if the French strikers had been cross-bred with greyhounds, or if Argentina's defenders had been cross-bred with shire horses!

That said, a most enjoyable game and Argentina had a chance with the very last kick of the match. Both equalisers will be contenders for 'goal of the tournament'.

Looking forward to this evening's game after suffering WC withdrawal symptoms yesterday. :hyper:

The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

LDLT

Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:03 pm

One of the most pathetic knockout games I ever saw

Scorpius

Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:50 pm

RUSSIA WIN!!!!

Dutchy

Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:55 pm

Shame on Spain, congrats Russia.

What an anti-foodball game.

scbriml

Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:58 pm

What a poor game. Russia had no quality and despite all of Spain's tikki-takka, possession football, they had no teeth.

But, another shock in a surprising WC. I will be particularly interested to see how Croatia go this evening.

Mortyman

Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:14 pm

Natalya Nemchinova:

Photo by NTB scanpix

Dutchy

Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:15 pm

Mortyman wrote:
Natalya Nemchinova:

Photo by NTB scanpix

Ah the Russian porn star was there too, enjoying the game I see.

Scorpius

Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:18 pm

scbriml wrote:
What a poor game. Russia had no quality and despite all of Spain's tikki-takka, possession football, they had no teeth.

But, another shock in a surprising WC. I will be particularly interested to see how Croatia go this evening.

Russia gave in to the whole game, but Spain still could not

Aesma

Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:19 pm

I have only seen the highlights, there is no excuse for Spain regardless, but I found the penalty kick harsh, and inconsistent.

Croatia Denmark 1 goal each after less than 4 minutes !

Gonzalo

Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:31 pm

Aesma wrote:
I have only seen the highlights, there is no excuse for Spain regardless, but I found the penalty kick harsh, and inconsistent.

Croatia Denmark 1 goal each after less than 4 minutes !

I know a beautiful goal counts 1 and an ugly goal counts the same, but both goals in the Croatia-Denmark 1-1 were just awful. Pinball style goals are always boring to see, even if you can win a tournament with it.
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / FH-227 / A318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789 / B788 / A343 / ATR72-600

scbriml

Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:30 pm

Aesma wrote:
but I found the penalty kick harsh, and inconsistent.

IMHO, that's a penalty 99/100. Pique's arm should not have been up in the air like that. The officials would consider that "an unnatural position" so although though the ball was headed straight onto his arm, it shouldn't have been there. Even so, with just about 80% possession, Spain had to create more chances against a ponderous Russia team. They paid a high price for not having any cutting edge.

To be honest, I'm not sorry to see Spain go out. Other than playing very well in that cracking game against Portugal, they haven't looked very threatening at all. In four games, they had three draws and only just managed to beat Iran 1-0.

scbriml

Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:03 pm

Croatia go through after a penalty miss-out with Denmark. A game of 11 penalties, of which only five were scored. :eek:

And you thought England were bad at penalties. :rotfl: