Armaghman
Topic Author

Singapore - KL HSR

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:00 pm

Interesting article on the on-offfHSR.

Will be built one day as it makes sense but looks like it is off for now..

Remind me which is the 2 highest routes would either be threatened by HSR

Https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ ... eat-424321

TheFlyingDisk

Re: Singapore - KL HSR

Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:50 am

The damn thing is dead as a doorknob, and all because of petty politics. The current "Minister of Finance" will pull out so much justification to cancel the project, but any rational person would be able to see through the bullshit.

Now I shouldn't really say this as a Malaysian, but I wish Singapore can nail the Malaysian government's ass to the wall on this.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

c933103

Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:03 am

They're officially not cancelling but postponing the project to avoid cancellation fee, with justification against the project being the current financial situation of the country's treasure. As the current Malaysian government is supposed to be a short term one, hopefully they can find a better way to finance it in the future

TheFlyingDisk

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:40 pm

c933103 wrote:
They're officially not cancelling but postponing the project to avoid cancellation fee, with justification against the project being the current financial situation of the country's treasure. As the current Malaysian government is supposed to be a short term one, hopefully they can find a better way to finance it in the future

That's the bullshit. The World Bank had actually reaffirmed that the country's financial situation is hardly the doom & gloom that the current government had portrayed it to be.

Short term? I sure hope so, because I certainly don't trust my fellow Malaysians to make an informed decision.

c933103

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:54 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
c933103 wrote:

That's the bullshit. The World Bank had actually reaffirmed that the country's financial situation is hardly the doom & gloom that the current government had portrayed it to be.

Short term? I sure hope so, because I certainly don't trust my fellow Malaysians to make an informed decision.

That's what the Malaysian government is claiming, so at least it would nake sense to those who are making this decision. When a government that think otherwise come onboard then it would make sense for them to act otherwise

MHG

Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:51 pm

As this is an aviation forum it gets me wondering how big the impact will be on the worlds busiest city pair (by air).
I imagine it could create a significant dent on flight demand - but - how many passengers will the trains really be able draw out of the air ...?
If the train operator does its pricing similar to the (in comparison to other transport options very expensive) KLIA Express then I don´t see it as a viable option betwees KL and SIN.
The majority of travellers certainly just won´t fork out fares e.g. RM300-400 for a one-way on a train ...
Flying is not inherently dangerous but it is very unforgiving in case of carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Dutchy

Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:56 pm

MHG wrote:
As this is an aviation forum it gets me wondering how big the impact will be on the worlds busiest city pair (by air).
I imagine it could create a significant dent on flight demand - but - how many passengers will the trains really be able draw out of the air ...?
If the train operator does its pricing similar to the (in comparison to other transport options very expensive) KLIA Express then I don´t see it as a viable option betwees KL and SIN.
The majority of travellers certainly just won´t fork out fares e.g. RM300-400 for a one-way on a train ...

I read somewhere that the impact would be 50% of the passengers whom are getting a plane, will take the high-speed train. 4% of the movements at KL would be gone. So some impact, but not really a dent.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

TheFlyingDisk

Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:01 am

MHG wrote:

KUL-SIN traffic isn't actually dominated by leisure travel, it's mostly business. Leisure travelers usually take a bus or drive there since it's only a 3 hrs drive (2 if you drive like a maniac).

I remember taking the morning SZB-SIN flight on Firefly and it was full to the brim with passengers.

LJ

Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:48 am

MHG wrote:

I think that a decrease in traffic similar to London - Paris and Barcelona - Madrid should be possible. Apart from pricing a train is more convenient and takes you to the place you need to be (not an airport a few miles from the centre).

MHG

Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:30 pm

I know that there´s a lot of business traffic but it´s exactly the sort of customers that might switch to a train service.
Simply because overall travel time by train will be at least comparable taking into account the time you need to go to the airport on either side plus sufficient time buffer for check-in/security/baggage claim (if applicable).
Budget travellers will continue to choose the bus unless train/air offer "irresistible" discounts.

So, AK and FY will probably loose less customers than SQ/MI/MH. Ultimately it all depends on where your journey begins and ends.
Flying is not inherently dangerous but it is very unforgiving in case of carelessness, incapacity or neglect.