trpmb6
Topic Author

Invasion of SoCal by Scooters?

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:08 pm

Looking for insight from SoCal residents if this is just some sort of blown out of proportion sensationalist article or if this is legitimately a problem. I would think Cali residents would be in full support of electric scooters instead of other forms of transportation that may be less "green."

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html

This part of the article struck me as particularly odd:

Galedary grew up on the Westside and said he hates how kids there are paying to ride scooters instead of honoring the local traditions of surfing and skateboarding. He hates the traffic accidents they cause — “Bird on Bird,” “Bird on person” and “Bird on car”— and he hates how they can be left anywhere for pedestrians to trip over.

“The city is already losing so much culture due to gentrification,” Galedary said.

That guy quoted there admits earlier in the article to destruction of property and vandalism of said scooters.

Reading further it seems to me that the main problem is teens and other miscreants ruining a good thing for everyone else. But I don't see how the scooter changes those people's behaviors. If not a scooter it would just be a skateboard or some other form of transport right?

I wonder if the problem with scooters being left on the ground and not locked back in one of their various lockup points is due to their pay model. Maybe you don't have to pay the mileage fee if you don't lock it back up? Or maybe they simply die after use and the person just leaves it there rather than lug it around?

Oh and that Galedary guy I mentioned earlier? Yeah he's kind of a hypocrite:

“As much as I hate them,” he said, “I can’t put bad energy into the world. I don’t even kick them over anymore.”

But Galedary hasn’t exactly quit his Bird high jinks cold-turkey. He recently placed a scooter in the middle of Abbot Kinney Boulevard, triggering an immediate snarl of honking cars.

He said he wanted people to associate Bird scooters with the quintessential symbol of Los Angeles discontent: a traffic jam.

Airstud

Re: Invasion of SoCal by Scooters?

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:02 pm

What the heck is "I can't put bad energy into the world" supposed to mean?

Hippies... :sarcastic:
Pancakes are delicious.

OA412

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:17 pm

I can't speak to Southern California, but they were a nuisance when first introduced in Denver. Apparently these companies purposely unleash a fleet of scooters in cities, expecting the inevitable backlash, so that cities will implement emergency rules/regulations to allow the scooters. When first introduced in Denver, they'd often be parked in right of ways, the middle of sidewalks, blocking crosswalks, etc. The problem stems from the fact that unlike bike share programs, there aren't any assigned parking areas for these scooters, so riders just leave them wherever they feel like when they are through using them. Certainly that's the fault of the rider, but it's also the fault of the company for simply unleashing these scooters onto cities without any sort of infrastructure to support them. Now, I certainly don't think that warrants destruction of the scooters, but they have been a nuisance.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

trpmb6
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:37 pm

That's kind of the conclusion I came to. At least in regards to them being left around, running into other people, not paying attention to vehicles. (All of which can be said of other modes of transport and teens). What confused me was how the payment model works. It seemed to imply that they did in fact have infrastructure in place where you paid a dollar to unlock the scooter and it tracks your 15cents per minute to ride. (are people really paying 2.50cents just to ride one for 10 minutes? that's kind of dumb to be honest - now that i think about it). I figured you paid your 15c per minute fee when you locked it back up in another charging station somewhere else. Which would explain why people leave them laying around. If you don't hook it back up then you don't have to pay the fee?

MikeDrop

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:37 pm

I used them at a conference in San Diego last month. Really convienent and fun to ride. But dirty. They are a problem because they are left all over the place. I tried to park them in an orderly way.

I understand why people hate em. If riders want them they will need to start following some etiquette or they will be banned.

Mike Drop

Aesma

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:41 pm

There are bicycles with the same system. When you are finished the wheel is locked up by an electric lock. And you stop paying.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

vikkyvik

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:48 pm

They haven't made it to my area, but I've heard from people on the Westside that they are quite a pain.

Basically, you leave them wherever you get off, and I guess the company has people come and sweep them up at night or something.

Sounds pretty annoying.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

OA412

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:55 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
It seemed to imply that they did in fact have infrastructure in place where you paid a dollar to unlock the scooter and it tracks your 15cents per minute to ride. (are people really paying 2.50cents just to ride one for 10 minutes? that's kind of dumb to be honest - now that i think about it). I figured you paid your 15c per minute fee when you locked it back up in another charging station somewhere else. Which would explain why people leave them laying around. If you don't hook it back up then you don't have to pay the fee?

My understanding is it's all app-based. You "borrow" and "return" via app; no charging stations to lock them up at. I'm not sure how they are charged. I've heard they are picked up at night by the company, charged, and then returned in the morning.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

johnboy

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:38 pm

Hated them in SF because people rode them EVERYWHERE, most of all on the sidewalks, weaving in and out of pedestrian traffic. So, in essence, it wasn’t so much the scooters themselves but the rat f****s who were too scared to ride them on the bike lanes or streets.

And is it too much to ask to just lean them out out of the way against buildings? I’d see them just thrown down in the middle of sidewalks.

It was like an overnight invasion. Thank goodness they’re gone for the time being.

Aesma

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:17 pm

The company doesn't do charging, they "pay" people to do it.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

DL717

Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:15 am

Aesma wrote:
There are bicycles with the same system. When you are finished the wheel is locked up by an electric lock. And you stop paying.

And people leave them everywhere.

Here is a fine example...

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/comm ... age-dallas