Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WarRI1

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:41 am

I have been watching my two teen age grandsons and the girls and guys they hang with and go to dances with. I detect a reluctance to admit they are dating. I ask when they are going to a dance if it is a date, no, no they says just friends every time I ask. I do it just to see the reaction, always the same, friends from them all. I am not complaining of course, just observing. If this keeps up, a lower birthrate for sure.

seb146

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:24 am

Airstud wrote:
seb146 wrote:
They are probably stressed because of student loans and paying for health care and not able to afford housing.

So were we (Generation X).

Try again.

The American Dream was easier to get for us.

1989worstyear

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:56 am

seb146 wrote:
Airstud wrote:
seb146 wrote:
They are probably stressed because of student loans and paying for health care and not able to afford housing.

Try again.

At least you Xer's had some damn good music - it's just been this constant stream of pop-rap garbage for the past 15 or so years, and I could never get into it, especially as a guitarist :shakehead:

T18

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:01 am

WarRI1 wrote:
I am not complaining of course, just observing. If this keeps up, a lower birthrate for sure.

I'm legit wonder along those lines, is this really a problem? My observation of a lot of folks my age is even if they are doing it, they are not trying to have kids and have little desire to as they mention things about there already being too many people on earth. I don't think however that its just one thing causing a change, honestly I think its a little bit of everything other have listed.

Jouhou

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:27 am

I was selective and cautious about sex because of STDs. Also cautious because if I was going to get knocked up, I didn't want it to be by any loser.

And now I haven't had sex since 2014 because my last boyfriend tried killing us both. After that I decided I was better off without a boyfriend.

c933103

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:49 am

Airstud wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Try again.

There were more social mobility in the previous decades than now
This isn't just an American problem, this is a global problem.

fallap

Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:01 am

trpmb6 wrote:
fallap wrote:
seahawk wrote:
And to add to this the one simple is reason is a huge inability to handle rejections and disappointment. It is kind of sad to see an 23 year old engineering student unable to approach a 19 year old female apprentice during the lunch breaks for over a year. It is sadder that he says that he prefers to keep dreaming about being with her instead of asking her out and risking a rejection.

That is the problem imho. Finding a partner comes with rejections, not every one you would like to be with wants to be with you, but millennials ca not handle rejections.

Are you serious?

Millennials also get defensive

My "Are you serious" comment was more a flabbergasted response to a massive blanket statement, and not so much of being a defensive millennial. Although I guess we are just have to endure being the favourite pinata of angry and illinformed people. If it's any comfort for you lot, I happend to surround myself with millennials on a daily basis, and if just a fraction of millennials worldwide are as smart, dedicated, full of visions and hard working as they are - then our future looks bright as the landing lights on your average airliner.

Now please excuse me, I have a future to attend to.

tommy1808

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:14 am

CitizenJustin wrote:
Flighty wrote:
1989worstyear wrote:

I sh*t you not, they forced us my sophomore or junior year of high school in health class:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/She%27s_Too_Young

Just about the most unrealistic, sensationalist piece of drivel I've ever seen. I'm glad they emphasized the whole safe sex angle, but at the same it kept preaching the whole "every 16/17 year old guy is out there to take advantage of your daughter" thing.

Oh yeah, I conveniently forgot the whole "all men are basically rapists" angle. What isn't taught is the counterargument to that. For every complaint about men being too aggressive, there is also a complaint about men not being aggressive enough! What about all the women or men in that situation??? We never hear about that, do we. We never admit that basically people flirting is a good thing, a necessary thing for human life. It is not "devaluation" or "misconduct." Without flirting and indeed a bit of aggression we are ALL dead and never born.

Straight men have it TOUGH. My female friends constantly complain about guys that aren’t aggressive enough (they’re a pussy, a wuss, weak, beta male, possibly gay, ), but then turn around and complain when a guy is aggressive (he’s a rapist, stalker, creep, serial killer). They also expect the man to pay for everything. If he doesn’t, they never talk to him again.

We have? I must know very different women. Not just would most reject any notion of me paying, unless they get to pay next time or did pay last time. The 20+ ~30ish women are also very straight forward with what they want. I don't think It was ever easier to get laid, just ask. They neither get offended or weird the next time you meet them. It is fucking brilliant.

I think some men their age are just scared of a confident, and confidently demanding, women ... and so they turn to somewhat older guys.

Best regards
Thomas

phatfarmlines

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:58 am

Here's what the Millenial/Generation Z can look forward to in the workplace:

Wall Street Rule for the #MeToo Era: Avoid Women at All Cost

trpmb6

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:25 pm

fallap wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
fallap wrote:

Are you serious?

My "Are you serious" comment was more a flabbergasted response to a massive blanket statement, and not so much of being a defensive millennial. Although I guess we are just have to endure being the favourite pinata of angry and illinformed people. If it's any comfort for you lot, I happend to surround myself with millennials on a daily basis, and if just a fraction of millennials worldwide are as smart, dedicated, full of visions and hard working as they are - then our future looks bright as the landing lights on your average airliner.

Totally tongue in cheek :)

WarRI1

Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:58 am

T18 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
I am not complaining of course, just observing. If this keeps up, a lower birthrate for sure.

I'm legit wonder along those lines, is this really a problem? My observation of a lot of folks my age is even if they are doing it, they are not trying to have kids and have little desire to as they mention things about there already being too many people on earth. I don't think however that its just one thing causing a change, honestly I think its a little bit of everything other have listed.

I can definitely see a change from this generation back to my children's generation and surely way back to mine. Definitely a reluctance to commit more so now. Maybe not a bad thing, time will tell.

CitizenJustin
Topic Author

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:19 am

tommy1808 wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
Flighty wrote:

Oh yeah, I conveniently forgot the whole "all men are basically rapists" angle. What isn't taught is the counterargument to that. For every complaint about men being too aggressive, there is also a complaint about men not being aggressive enough! What about all the women or men in that situation??? We never hear about that, do we. We never admit that basically people flirting is a good thing, a necessary thing for human life. It is not "devaluation" or "misconduct." Without flirting and indeed a bit of aggression we are ALL dead and never born.

Straight men have it TOUGH. My female friends constantly complain about guys that aren’t aggressive enough (they’re a pussy, a wuss, weak, beta male, possibly gay, ), but then turn around and complain when a guy is aggressive (he’s a rapist, stalker, creep, serial killer). They also expect the man to pay for everything. If he doesn’t, they never talk to him again.

We have? I must know very different women. Not just would most reject any notion of me paying, unless they get to pay next time or did pay last time. The 20+ ~30ish women are also very straight forward with what they want. I don't think It was ever easier to get laid, just ask. They neither get offended or weird the next time you meet them. It is fucking brilliant.

I think some men their age are just scared of a confident, and confidently demanding, women ... and so they turn to somewhat older guys.

Best regards
Thomas

Apparently, I come from a very different world than you. Everything you’ve said sounds entirely foreign to me.

TWA772LR

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:38 am

My biggest pet peeve with the women of my generation is they all go to apps like Tinder looking to get married.

tommy1808

Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:05 am

CitizenJustin wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

Apparently, I come from a very different world than you. Everything you’ve said sounds entirely foreign to me.

I figure i have to do some opinion polling among the XX-Chromosom gang....

best regards
Thomas

Flighty

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:39 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
My biggest pet peeve with the women of my generation is they all go to apps like Tinder looking to get married.

You know what, I agree. I hope nobody finds out my secret, but I met a significant number of quality people on airplanes before. It started when I was nonrevving years ago. Met some of the most interesting people (military generals, math students, 747 pilots, rising executives, party animals). The quality of women I met was just unreal. This was real life. Dating apps must be great if you are an expert user. Wouldn't know.

EstherLouise

Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:12 pm

Despite my username, I'm a guy. I gave up on sex years ago. It's not worth the mess.

TSS

Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:59 am

EstherLouise wrote:
Despite my username, I'm a guy.

I had wondered about that but didn't think it would be polite to ask.

EstherLouise wrote:
I gave up on sex years ago.

The right partner makes all the difference in the world.

EstherLouise wrote:
It's not worth the mess.

Mess, schmess! Just put down an old towel or two and you're fine. Or for more "exotic" encounters, a cheap shower curtain. Or if you're really pulling out all the stops, put a few old towels down on top of a cheap shower curtain, then when you're done you can gather the corners of the shower curtain together and drag the whole kit & caboodle out to the trash can… presto, done, no muss, no fuss.

Kno

Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:40 pm

Are millennials really having less sex?

I'm 27, all the roommates I've ever had had plenty of sex, I lost my virginity at 15 and since haven't gone more than a month without having sex, all my friends are having plenty of sex. My co-workers in my age range are having sex.

Where are these sexless millennials? I can't speak for the experiences of others but I step into new social circles frequently as an extrovert and it certainly seems like everywhere I go people in my age range are having sex.

A couple of common themes I see in this thread:

- Me too has something to do with a decrease in sex - if you can't handle ensuring a consensual sexual experience like an adult, then you shouldn't be having sex. I don't understand all the fuss, I personally get off on making sure my partner is engaged and eager for the experience. Often men forget that we should be desirable too, not just the woman... At the end of the day if you're really that paranoid somebody is going to accuse you of rape, you're probably not engaging in healthy consensual sex to begin with. Respecting someones sexual boundaries and communicating should be the standard, not some new and difficult expectation. I find it hard to believe people would just NOT have sex because they can't handle this basic interaction.

- All women (or men) are on tinder, dating apps etc, its the only way to date now - really? I go out in public and meet women my age all the time, or am introduced through friends, etc. The old fashion way still works people, and it's really not that complicated. I don't do online dating or like the idea of it. A lot of guys look sloppy and try way to hard to get a females interest, in reality, all it takes is a nice haircut, a sense of style, be your damn self and talk to women (or men) like a regular person, and let the flirting evolve naturally, read body language etc.

geologyrocks

Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:52 pm

I'm a millennial. It's embarrassing to be a millennial.

Just look at the responses. Oh, the debt, oh the cost of housing, oh my parents, oh the previous generation.

I was never a great student in high school but I was smart enough to know that there was no future in going neck high in debt to get a degree in sociology and then later blame all of my financial problems on previous generations instead of my own poor choices to major in something so worthless.

c933103

Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:33 pm

geologyrocks wrote:

Just look at the responses. Oh, the debt, oh the cost of housing, oh my parents, oh the previous generation.

I was never a great student in high school but I was smart enough to know that there was no future in going neck high in debt to get a degree in sociology and then later blame all of my financial problems on previous generations instead of my own poor choices to major in something so worthless.

That's how many percentage of population are you talking about?

geologyrocks

Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:46 pm

c933103 wrote:
geologyrocks wrote:

That's how many percentage of population are you talking about?

The same percentage of all of these articles writing about how millennials are all still living at home because of xyz and now aren’t having sex because of xyz.

sevenair

Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:37 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Millenials already got screwed by previous generations, so it's no surprise that sex isn't high on our list of things to do.

Awww. My heart bleeds for you. You make your own luck in this life. If it your way then change your plan of attack. I had nothing when I was growing up but managed to get a good job, nice house and car and lots and lots of sex.

Being a gay man I learned at a young age just how vain, fickle and unpleasant gays are as a whole. I knew that once I passed 25 I’d be on the heap so I made the most of it when I was younger and I’m glad that I did. Settled into a relationship now and personally my deserve for such activities is much lower but I still get enough.

DL717

Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:45 pm

scbriml wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Millenials already got screwed by previous generations, so it's no surprise that sex isn't high on our list of things to do.

The reality is, they're too busy being offended by everything to have the time for sex.

Millennial males have been completely emasculated, so it’s not a shock. Besides, no one living in mom and dads basement past 18 gets laid anyway.

DL717

Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:47 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

No bro. Half of you still live at home, and the other half live on social media instead having in person conversations. Put your device down and get to know people. They exist.

Also, learn to handle rejection, failure and being offended. Your generation can’t cope because you’re too busy trying not to offend people so no one gets offended. It’s a cycle of social failure.
Last edited by DL717 on Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DL717

Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:49 pm

1989worstyear wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Airstud wrote:

Try again.

At least you Xer's had some damn good music - it's just been this constant stream of pop-rap garbage for the past 15 or so years, and I could never get into it, especially as a guitarist :shakehead:

Possible contributing factor. No good sex music anymore. :rotfl:

fallap wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
fallap wrote:

Are you serious?

Speaking of getting defensive.

Braybuddy

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:47 pm

sevenair wrote:
Being a gay man I learned at a young age just how vain, fickle and unpleasant gays are as a whole. I knew that once I passed 25 I’d be on the heap so I made the most of it when I was younger and I’m glad that I did. Settled into a relationship now and personally my deserve for such activities is much lower but I still get enough.

I pretty much agree with you, apart from one thing. I used to think the scrap heap started at 35, but I can tell you it doesn't. Not by a LONG shot . . . :cheerful:

bunumuring

Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:46 pm

Wow,
A lot of what is being posted above doesn't seem to apply here in Australia!
I wonder why?
Cheers
Bunumuring

DL717

Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:23 am

bunumuring wrote:
Wow,
A lot of what is being posted above doesn't seem to apply here in Australia!
I wonder why?
Cheers
Bunumuring

You guys still don’t take any $#-+ from anybody.

TWA772LR

Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:39 am

This is a funny thread lol.

Im a millennial and its been almost a year from me. But my problem is i get in my head that somehow ill knock her up as well as the "me too" movement (I've never had sex without consent, it's just always in the back of my mind). I love to flirt and show affection even in the slightest ways with women but im scared its gonna be misconstrued and next thing you know im going to jail just for smiling at a woman.

stratclub

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:52 am

DL717 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

The reality is, they're too busy being offended by everything to have the time for sex.

Millennial males have been completely emasculated, so it’s not a shock. Besides, no one living in mom and dads basement past 18 gets laid anyway.

Over the years I have seen the trend. Why do we call the front office of an airplane a "Flight Deck"? A completely wrong terminology. I can't think of one aircraft that has a separate "deck" for the cockpit. The correct term would be Flight Compartment which is usually located at the forward end of the main deck or at the the forward end of the upper deck on the B747.

tommy1808

Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:16 pm

stratclub wrote:
DL717 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Over the years I have seen the trend. Why do we call the front office of an airplane a "Flight Deck"? A completely wrong terminology. I can't think of one aircraft that has a separate "deck" for the cockpit..

actually, the term "Flight deck" comes from the RAF that used it for the, in deed higher and separate, crew positions on flying boats.

But a little context as to how that pertains to the Millennial males have been completely emasculated, so it’s not a shock. would be nice.
best regards
Thomas

DL717

Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:35 am

tommy1808 wrote:
stratclub wrote:
DL717 wrote:

Over the years I have seen the trend. Why do we call the front office of an airplane a "Flight Deck"? A completely wrong terminology. I can't think of one aircraft that has a separate "deck" for the cockpit..

actually, the term "Flight deck" comes from the RAF that used it for the, in deed higher and separate, crew positions on flying boats.

But a little context as to how that pertains to the Millennial males have been completely emasculated, so it’s not a shock. would be nice.
best regards
Thomas

Maybe neutered is a better description.

tommy1808

Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:43 am

DL717 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
stratclub wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Nah. It is just more otherwise insecure men that can´t overplay that with macho behavior anymore. That is all.
Decent men have more sex, not less i´d say. A penis doesn´t shrink from only stickig places with making sure there is consent.

best regards
Thomas

seb146

Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:52 am

tommy1808 wrote:
DL717 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Nah. It is just more otherwise insecure men that can´t overplay that with macho behavior anymore. That is all.
Decent men have more sex, not less i´d say. A penis doesn´t shrink from only stickig places with making sure there is consent.

best regards
Thomas

I don't understand something from my generation and older. Those younger than me are seen as weak because one reason or another. Because they don't subjugate women or don't fight in pointless wars or don't go deep into debt or whatever. Maybe those younger than me learned a lesson. Sex can lead to children they don't want. Guns lead to deaths they don't want. Wars lead to many things they don't want. That does not make them weak. I don't see how it does.

tommy1808

Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:33 am

seb146 wrote:
Maybe those younger than me learned a lesson.

The share of those younger than you or me that understand the lesson is just higher, and reached a critical mass, where the rest can´t easily get away with such behavior anymore.

Just like "she should not have worn the short dress/let her self get drunk/party with drunk men" was a perfectly fine thing to say about a rape victim 30 years ago, today you must be in a fairly unique group for such a statement not making a room so quiet that you can hear a needle drop.

best regards
Thomas

EasternSon

Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:46 pm

seb146 wrote:
EasternSon wrote:
It's hard to get laid when you have no money to go out to the bars, and can't bring a girl home because you live with your parents.

I'm not a millennial, but my sex life took a pause after college for the same reasons.

I thought you kids were big on Tinder, Grindr, Match, etc.? I hear about these things on the TV, so I just thought those might be helpful?

Dude, I'm 41, married, and have two kids.

The closest I've been to tinder, a grinder, and a match is right before I put a log on the fire and put on my slippers.

stratclub

Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:15 am

tommy1808 wrote:
stratclub wrote:
DL717 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

My bad. I just assumed that the use of the term was part of the ongoing male neutering process. Over the years the non flying boat use of the term has seemed to be driven the social concept of not offending anyones sensibilities and not because of a change in aircraft configuration with a separate deck for the cockpit or flight compartment.

Aircraft naming conventions came from ship's naming conventions. The RAF's usage of the term flight deck would be a correct term because the cockpit or flight compartment on a flying boat was on a separate deck.
Last edited by stratclub on Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

1989worstyear

Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:19 am

seb146 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
DL717 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

I don't understand something from my generation and older. Those younger than me are seen as weak because one reason or another. Because they don't subjugate women or don't fight in pointless wars or don't go deep into debt or whatever. Maybe those younger than me learned a lesson. Sex can lead to children they don't want. Guns lead to deaths they don't want. Wars lead to many things they don't want. That does not make them weak. I don't see how it does.

But... acting like a responsible human being who thinks about the repercussions of their actions is boring :rotfl:

(sarcasm off)

seahawk

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:01 am

seb146 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
DL717 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

It makes them weak if they blame previous generations for the effects of those decisions.

seb146

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:11 am

seahawk wrote:
seb146 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

It makes them weak if they blame previous generations for the effects of those decisions.

Previous generations treated women as objects and not humans, so current generations are working hard to change that. I don't see anything wrong with that. You see it as weakness, I see it as evolution.

seahawk

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:40 am

seb146 wrote:
seahawk wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Previous generations treated women as objects and not humans, so current generations are working hard to change that. I don't see anything wrong with that. You see it as weakness, I see it as evolution.

At least for Europe I would call it bullshit. Not many Baby Boomers treat women as objects and even fewer Generation X males do. And if it would be different millennials would have grown up with parents where the woman was weak and subversive which kind of contradicts the stereotype "helicopter parents".

All those things you mention did not start with the millennials or generation Y, it started with the Baby Boomers. The first Generation actually fighting for women´s rights were the Baby Boomers. In the 1960ies and 1970ies much more was changed than today. (historically called the 2nd wave of feminism) Generation X than had the 3rd wave of feminism around 2000.
The generation to fight for an alternative to the draft and for a demilitarisation of society were the Baby Boomers. And in those times not wanting to fight pointless wars and rejecting to serve in the forces came with a personal price. First you had to fight a legal battle to allow for an alternative social service and then you had to serve longer in the social service. But those people never complained about the hardship they had to endure due to previous generations, they did what they thought needed doing and changed the society.

Millennials on the other hand show a tendency to see themselves as victims of the previous generations and complain about the hardship they have to endure. And no, I am not a Baby Boomer.

stratclub

Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:20 pm

seahawk wrote:
At least for Europe I would call it bullshit. Not many Baby Boomers treat women as objects and even fewer Generation X males do. And if it would be different millennials would have grown up with parents where the woman was weak and subversive which kind of contradicts the stereotype "helicopter parents".

All those things you mention did not start with the millennials or generation Y, it started with the Baby Boomers. The first Generation actually fighting for women´s rights were the Baby Boomers. In the 1960ies and 1970ies much more was changed than today. (historically called the 2nd wave of feminism) Generation X than had the 3rd wave of feminism around 2000.
The generation to fight for an alternative to the draft and for a demilitarisation of society were the Baby Boomers. And in those times not wanting to fight pointless wars and rejecting to serve in the forces came with a personal price. First you had to fight a legal battle to allow for an alternative social service and then you had to serve longer in the social service. But those people never complained about the hardship they had to endure due to previous generations, they did what they thought needed doing and changed the society.

Millennials on the other hand show a tendency to see themselves as victims of the previous generations and complain about the hardship they have to endure. And no, I am not a Baby Boomer.

I'm a Baby Boomer and I approve this message. :bigthumbsup:

Back in the day (60's, 70's), it seemed like the concept of feminism was kind of silly to most woman. It was actually O.K. for men and woman to be different. Not like today were we are expected to ignore the amazing biology that does make us different to the point that if you even acknowledge the difference in a positive respectful way your sexist.

seb146

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:30 pm

seahawk wrote:
seb146 wrote:
seahawk wrote:

I am not a Boomer either. I think it has more to do with geography than generation. Women, gays, and minorities are treated different in rural areas as compared to urban areas. As far as "changing society" I see it more that Millennials are trying to set a foundation for their future.

When I was younger and finally met other gays, we all were "militant" gays. The kinds that would flounce around, over the top lisping, calling everyone "girlfriend" and so forth. It got really annoying really fast. So, many of us scaled it back. We were hit with so much all at once, we individually decided what was best for us and banded together to work toward goals. All without having bureaucracy or meetings or anything like that. I also remember a larger process happened for us Gen-Xers for many issues. It could be that Millennials are simply trying to figure out a way to move their agendas forward but some are seeing it as "playing victim"?

DL717

Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:07 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
Flighty wrote:
1989worstyear wrote:

I sh*t you not, they forced us my sophomore or junior year of high school in health class:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/She%27s_Too_Young

Just about the most unrealistic, sensationalist piece of drivel I've ever seen. I'm glad they emphasized the whole safe sex angle, but at the same it kept preaching the whole "every 16/17 year old guy is out there to take advantage of your daughter" thing.

Straight men have it TOUGH. My female friends constantly complain about guys that aren’t aggressive enough (they’re a pussy, a wuss, weak, beta male, possibly gay, ), but then turn around and complain when a guy is aggressive (he’s a rapist, stalker, creep, serial killer). They also expect the man to pay for everything. If he doesn’t, they never talk to him again. I don’t have this problem, because I don’t flirt with girls, but I’ve always thought straight men got the shit end of the stick. Having to initiate contact, ask for the first date, pay for everything, make the first move etc.....

This all needs to change IMO. The double standards are out of control, and men shouldn’t have their sexuality questioned by women of all people if they don’t follow these outdated traditions. The expectations placed on men are ridiculous.

A lot of truth here. We were at a friends B-day party that her brother, the club owner, threw for her. We saw four straight guys (millennials) dancing together being largely ignored by a rediculous number of women dancing around them. My wife said it was quite possibly the saddest thing she’d ever seen. It’s was like they’d been neutered. Totally pensive about approaching the women. That or they had no social skills. Hell, a majority of the people there had cell phones in their hands actively texting and taking selfies while dancing. Put the damn phone down for a minute.

CitizenJustin
Topic Author

Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:14 am

DL717 wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
Flighty wrote:

Straight men have it TOUGH. My female friends constantly complain about guys that aren’t aggressive enough (they’re a pussy, a wuss, weak, beta male, possibly gay, ), but then turn around and complain when a guy is aggressive (he’s a rapist, stalker, creep, serial killer). They also expect the man to pay for everything. If he doesn’t, they never talk to him again. I don’t have this problem, because I don’t flirt with girls, but I’ve always thought straight men got the shit end of the stick. Having to initiate contact, ask for the first date, pay for everything, make the first move etc.....

This all needs to change IMO. The double standards are out of control, and men shouldn’t have their sexuality questioned by women of all people if they don’t follow these outdated traditions. The expectations placed on men are ridiculous.

A lot of truth here. We were at a friends B-day party that her brother, the club owner, threw for her. We saw four straight guys (millennials) dancing together being largely ignored by a rediculous number of women dancing around them. My wife said it was quite possibly the saddest thing she’d ever seen. It’s was like they’d been neutered. Totally pensive about approaching the women. That or they had no social skills. Hell, a majority of the people there had cell phones in their hands actively texting and taking selfies while dancing. Put the damn phone down for a minute.

Exactly.

People hate my opinion, but I’ll be brave.....here goes. I’d say 90% of my friends are female, and they’re just as, if not more judgmental than men. For example, a woman could say, “I don’t want a balding fat man with no money” and people respond with, “Yes girl, don’t settle for a broke fat man!” Now flip that around to a man saying he prefers a certain type of woman and all hell breaks loose with accusations of misogyny. Criticizing a man for balding (which can’t be helped) or saying a man has a “dad bod” isn’t body shaming, but a man criticizing a woman’s body/appearance is? I guess only women can be offended in 2018.

This is where I SIGNIFICANTLY diverge from prevailing liberal thought. You know I’m liberal DL717, but these double standards infuriate me to my core. I think this is because I’ve experienced several things that are supposedly reserved for female outrage. When I bring this up, my message notifications explode and I’m suddenly an evil men’s rights activist. I guess beliving rights are important regardless of genitalia is a bad thing? I’ll probably even get shit from fellow a.net members for this, so I’ll hang my head in shame and quietly go into the closet now, lol.

I will say that it’s been awesome agreeing with you for once! I won’t even start on people's cell phone/social media obsession. If you haven’t watched the series Black Mirror, or the movie Idiocracy, please do.

TSS

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:33 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
People hate my opinion, but I’ll be brave.....here goes. I’d say 90% of my friends are female, and they’re just as, if not more judgmental than men. For example, a woman could say, “I don’t want a balding fat man with no money” and people respond with, “Yes girl, don’t settle for a broke fat man!” Now flip that around to a man saying he prefers a certain type of woman and all hell breaks loose with accusations of misogyny. Criticizing a man for balding (which can’t be helped) or saying a man has a “dad bod” isn’t body shaming, but a man criticizing a woman’s body/appearance is? I guess only women can be offended in 2018.

Preach on, brother! The prevailing sentiment does seem to be "Misogyny = Bad, Misandry = Hunky-dorey and strongly encouraged". As a show of solidarity with all the feminists out there, I'm going to suggest as a protest against the Patriarchy that they go an entire weekend without using a single thing invented by men. That'll show us!

CitizenJustin wrote:
This is where I SIGNIFICANTLY diverge from prevailing liberal thought. You know I’m liberal DL717, but these double standards infuriate me to my core. I think this is because I’ve experienced several things that are supposedly reserved for female outrage. When I bring this up, my message notifications explode and I’m suddenly an evil men’s rights activist. I guess beliving rights are important regardless of genitalia is a bad thing? I’ll probably even get shit from fellow a.net members for this, so I’ll hang my head in shame and quietly go into the closet now, lol.

I think you've hit on the core difference between "Liberal" and "Progressive": With Liberals it's "I'm okay, you're okay", everything is equal, everyone has a say, and everyone gets the same chance. With Progressives it's strictly "My way or the highway", "Don't confuse the issue with facts!", and diverging from the official party line in any way or even questioning it is grounds for a public lynching.

Zeppi

Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:00 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
I’d say 90% of my friends are female, and they’re just as, if not more judgmental than men. For example, a woman could say, “I don’t want a balding fat man with no money” and people respond with, “Yes girl, don’t settle for a broke fat man!” Now flip that around to a man saying he prefers a certain type of woman and all hell breaks loose with accusations of misogyny. Criticizing a man for balding (which can’t be helped) or saying a man has a “dad bod” isn’t body shaming, but a man criticizing a woman’s body/appearance is? I guess only women can be offended in 2018.

They are very judgmental indeed, and even more so towards other women than men actually. Especially towards women whom vastly outrank them in attractiveness. It's really hilarious but sad at the same time, just watch/listen to groups of women at a bar/pub when a really attractive one enters, the bitching starts immediately.
I've also noticed that calling women with slim/athletic figures scrawny or anorexic has become tolerable, whilst calling fat ones, well, fat, is a big no-no...

Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
sevenair wrote:

I pretty much agree with you, apart from one thing. I used to think the scrap heap started at 35, but I can tell you it doesn't. Not by a LONG shot . . . :cheerful:

My feeling is, it's worse in the US (compared to Europe). The amount of hypocrisy and "backside dagger planting" is enormous.

ziraf

Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:26 pm

Interesting opinion. I think it's depend on the environment. But maybe it's true. nowadays millenial more addicted to gadget/tech than sex

4engines4lnghll

Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:46 pm

scbriml wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

I think I'm so taken back by the comment, I think I'm gonna abstain from sex! Lolol wtf... Maybe if you hags did things the right/humane way the first time in the world we wouldn't have to clean up your mess! THATS stressful.

Unfortunelty I don't think this is true. I haven't had any issues with the drive for guys lol and neither have my friends regardless of gender.