DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Felicity Huffman in custody over college admissions scandal

Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:22 pm

https://pagesix.com/2019/03/12/felicity ... s-scandal/

Wiki:
Felicity Huffman was born in Bedford, New York, into a wealthy family, the daughter of Grace Valle (née Ewing; 1921–2009) and Moore Peters Huffman (1910–1987), a banker and partner at Morgan Stanley. Her parents divorced a year after her birth, and she was raised by both of her parents. When she was a young teenager, she discovered that her biological father was Roger Tallman Maher, who was a family friend. She has six sisters, Mariah, Betsy, Grace, Isabel, Jessie, Jane (1949–2013), and a brother, Moore Jr. In the 1970s her mother left New York and bought property in Snowmass, Colorado, where Felicity and her siblings spent their youth. Her great-grandfather was Gershom Moore Peters (1843–1919), founder of the Peters Cartridge Company and prominent Baptist minister, author of The Master. Another great-grandfather, Frederick Berthold Ewing, graduated from Yale University and became a prominent St. Louis businessman. Her great-great-grandfather was Joseph Warren King (1814–1885), founder of the King Mills Powder Company. She has German, English, Scots-Irish, Scottish, French-Canadian, and Irish ancestry.

Huffman attended The Putney School, a private boarding high school in Putney, Vermont and graduated from Interlochen Arts Academy in Michigan in 1981. She attended New York University, Circle in the Square Theatre School and the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London, England.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Why wouldn’t someone like Huffman want “the best” for their offspring, no matter the “cost.”
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

bagoldex

Re: Felicity Huffman in custody over college admissions scandal

Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:24 pm

There's a lot more to this than just Felicity Huffman but the thing that shocked me the most was that the going rate for a new and improved SAT score by way of a bribe to a College Board employee was only $15k.

fr8mech

Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:50 pm

All the folks that have been charged...so far:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/12/us/f ... ule=inline
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.

stl07

Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:40 pm

Why would someone cheat to get into USD

Even more ridiculous is the fact that this scandal was also used to cheat in the UC system, which gives guaranteed addition to those who were rejected after 1-2 years of "making up" at any California community college
I'd rather be in FLYover country than layover county

Tugger

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:22 pm

Isn't this just what wealthy people do? I thought we were OK with the fact that wealthy people do things like this.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

seb146

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:30 pm

From what I have read, it could be argued that Huffman made a contribution to the school. Laughlin's deal looks worse. Pretending her daughter was on crew to get in.

But, Tugger is right. This is what the rich do so why is this even a thing?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Pyrex

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:32 pm

Hard to know who to feel sorry for. One of those rare instances where there are no good guys. I hope the parents who participated in this get what was coming to them, but then again it is hard to feel sorry for the schools when they set themselves up for this by making their admissions processes so nontransparent and deliberately kicking out good students just so they can have some extra spots for less qualified people just because they happen to be good at sports.

bagoldex wrote:
There's a lot more to this than just Felicity Huffman but the thing that shocked me the most was that the going rate for a new and improved SAT score by way of a bribe to a College Board employee was only $15k.

The thing that shocked me the most is that people were paying hundreds of thousands of dollars just to get their lazy, no-good kids into the University of Spoiled Children (USC). I thought being a rich airhead dilettante like that girl who posted a YouTube video for millions of people to watch saying she wanted to go to college just for the partying was enough to get you into USC, but apparently there are a few extras required.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

fr8mech

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:54 am

Tugger wrote:
Isn't this just what wealthy people do? I thought we were OK with the fact that wealthy people do things like this.

Tugg

No, it's what unscrupulous people do. These folks having money just made their "job" easier.

Cheating to get into schools goes on all over the world. Remember this:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... ing-mafia-

What really sucks, is that these people took spots away from deserving students that worked their asses off to get the grades to get in.

I hope they roll up everyone involved, from parents to school presidents. And yes, if they can prove a student knew, then hold him accountable too.

Okie

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:55 am

The part I thought was interesting is that the payments went through a Charity.
Spend Six Million Dollars to get you child in school. The Charity paid the people off.
Then you get to write the Six Million off your taxes as a Charitable Donation.

Interesting for sure. I wonder if there will be investigations into other schools such as Penn State or Harvard?

Okie

910A

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:03 am

I guess people can now shut up about affirmative action.

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:12 am

Okie wrote:
Spend Six Million Dollars to get you child in school. The Charity paid the people off.

Interesting for sure. I wonder if there will be investigations into other schools such as Penn State or Harvard?

Okie

So Rick Singer (presumably a Democratic Donor) set up a Charitable Foundation to launder quid pro quo money through. Wow... wherever did he get that idea??

https://freebeacon.com/politics/democra ... ions-scam/
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

910A

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:42 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Okie wrote:

Okie

So Rick Singer (presumably a Democratic Donor) set up a Charitable Foundation to launder quid pro quo money through. Wow... wherever did he get that idea??

So you're trying to make this a political thing, a not a criminal enterprise.

ltbewr

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:49 am

First of all, the students should be immediately expelled for filing fraudulent applications and records. Sorry, but they were clearly involved in this scam with their parents.
Their parents should go to jail, if hold business licenses lose them upon conviction or a plea deal and fired from their jobs. Those involve in the schemes at the colleges have already and all should lose their jobs and go to jail. One of the parents is one of the biggest (and apparently phony) 'good' hedge fund, he should lose his share in it. In the case of the 2 actresses involved, upon conviction/plea deal, they should never get another paid acting or related job again.

The biggest issue of this massive criminal scam is that we are seeing the ultra-wealth and connected abuse their privilege and wealth to obscene extremes to 'help' their spoiled and privileged kids who may not need to go to or are not academically qualified to go to these schools. They want the ability to say their child 'is going to USC/Stamford/Harvard...'. At least the Kardashians, as much as I despise them, realize they didn't need to go to college or even cared about academics and likely unable to pass a GED High School certificate exam so didn't even try to go to college.

American top selective colleges also have serious conflicts of interest. They need the 'rich kids' to be let in to get the parents money. We know the connection of Trump's SOL Jared who's crooked father got Jared into Harvard with a 'donation'. It is will believed that Donald Trump's father paid off someone to help DT to get through high school and into colleges and get a degree.

To me serious Federal regulations as to college admissions need to be put in. Schools need double blind admissions processing, be able to thoroughly review all application records, end loopholes used in this scam of 'academic' scholarships and find ways to get donations without deals to make sure no admitted student gets into them with less than full qualifications.

fr8mech

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:03 am

ltbewr wrote:
To me serious Federal regulations as to college admissions need to be put in. Schools need double blind admissions processing, be able to thoroughly review all application records, end loopholes used in this scam of 'academic' scholarships and find ways to get donations without deals to make sure their child get ito them with less than full qualifications.

I could not disagree with you more, at least so far as private universities are concerned. A university should be allowed to admit whomever it chooses to admit. What these "prestigious" institutions should be compelled to do is release the criteria, so as to make the process transparent. If they want to take additional money to take in the progeny of the rich and famous, more power to them. But all that should be out in the open.

Of course, the various accreditation bodies may have something to say about such a process...

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:11 am

Here's Oliva Jade's (Loughlin's daughter) YT video, where she expresses her reason for going to the University.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lveMkZc-NRE

CitizenJustin

Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:30 am

I wonder how many highly intelligent kids from disadvantaged backgrounds were passed over in favor of talentless, mediocre rich kids. Only a small percentage of applicants are chosen. This definitely isn’t a victimless crime.

MaverickM11

Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:53 am

Paying $500,000 to get into USC? That's like bribing your way into Olive Garden.

910A wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
Okie wrote:

Okie

I mean...we could always talk about how the Trumps and Kushners got into college... :rotfl:
E pur si muove -Galileo

NIKV69

Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:08 am

Just watch the movie "Back to School" Rodney will show you how it's done. :sarcastic:
See that Broccoli over there? It's racist!

BN747

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:58 am

910A wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
Okie wrote:

Okie

Well actually, this is a political issue to a great degree.

Poor people could never pull off this type of scam.

This is a stellar example of Elite behavior's darkside...and telling in many ways.

Although the Hollywood names involved received head billing of this scandal, everyone should be clued in this type of conduct across America if not the globe.

So the question posed, is...if you think people of influence will go this distance for showcasing their kids - how far, as bad corrupt conduct goes, will they go? Where do you drawn the line
and tell yourself, 'oh but they are just like us normally'...

No, they aren't and there are no limits on what they'll do or where they'll stop. Once getting away with something for so long...criminals expand on it.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

max999

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:05 am

It's obvious these people have no ethics and morals if they are willing to cheat, lie, and bribe so their kids into college.

These same people are wealthy because they climbed to the top of business, industry, or Hollywood. So I suspect, these people likely cheated their way to the top throughout their lives. Maybe they lied on their resume or about their qualifications to get a highly paid job. Or maybe they bribed their business partners, vendors, and others to get what they wanted.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

fr8mech

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:13 am

max999 wrote:
So I suspect, these people likely cheated their way to the top throughout their lives.

That's not a fair characterization. People change when they have kids. They would do things for their kids that they'd never do for themselves.

You can't make that stretch without additional evidence.

BN747

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:30 am

max999 wrote:
It's obvious these people have no ethics and morals if they are willing to cheat, lie, and bribe so their kids into college.

These same people are wealthy because they climbed to the top of business, industry, or Hollywood. So I suspect, these people likely cheated their way to the top throughout their lives. Maybe they lied on their resume or about their qualifications to get a highly paid job. Or maybe they bribed their business partners, vendors, and others to get what they wanted.

As far as they Hollywood role in your analogy, you are missing 5 things along with lying, cheating, bribing (all which are active tactics on the climb to the top)...

The 5 you left out...
1.Sex
2.Sex
3.Sex
4.Sex
5.Sex

...and I'm dead serious. One would think that Weinstein would scare people into behaving better, I'll say that's temporary, in fact it would not surprise me if some bad characters feel the heat is dying down, so why not continue. People rarely learn lessons from this kind of conduct, they figure out how to get around it.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

max999

Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:18 am

fr8mech wrote:
max999 wrote:
So I suspect, these people likely cheated their way to the top throughout their lives.

That's not a fair characterization. People change when they have kids. They would do things for their kids that they'd never do for themselves.

You can't make that stretch without additional evidence.

I think ethics is innate to a person; it's not something that you can easily change.

If these parents loved their kids so much...they would not be committing criminals acts that would put the kids in a terrible position. The kids are going to be full of guilt seeing how their parents committed crimes on their behalf. So these parents don't really love their children and they are just criminals with no ethics.

Pyrex

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:19 am

CitizenJustin wrote:
I wonder how many highly intelligent kids from disadvantaged backgrounds were passed over in favor of talentless, mediocre rich kids. Only a small percentage of applicants are chosen. This definitely isn’t a victimless crime.

From what I gather, none - they were taking spots reserved for Athletics students.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Magog

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:12 pm

Tugger wrote:

The Department of Justice doesn’t agree with you.

Tugger

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:03 pm

Magog wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Yes, obviously. But I see so many people commenting, when the Justice Department and other police agencies do take action recently against people, defending such things as no big deal, it's normal, or not a big deal, etc.

I was just commenting on that.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

cledaybuck

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:41 pm

Tugger wrote:
Magog wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Yes, obviously. But I see so many people commenting, when the Justice Department and other police agencies do take action recently against people, defending such things as no big deal, it's normal, or not a big deal, etc.

Tugg

Just to play along, is it not normal? Obviously this is a step further, but is it really much different than letter the child of a large donor in?

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:33 pm

The Obama family’s personal tennis coach was among the dozens of people charged Tuesday in a sweeping college admissions bribery scheme.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/12/obama-fam ... ns-scheme/

My parents played tennis. They were my coach.

Magog

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:11 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
The Obama family’s personal tennis coach was among the dozens of people charged Tuesday in a sweeping college admissions bribery scheme.

How much is that tennis coach charging? Paying these bribes isn’t cheap.

910A

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:16 am

Magog wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

If you read the link, the tennis coach was on the receiving end..$2.7m worth.

fr8mech

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:23 am

max999 wrote:
I think ethics is innate to a person; it's not something that you can easily change.

If these parents loved their kids so much...they would not be committing criminals acts that would put the kids in a terrible position. The kids are going to be full of guilt seeing how their parents committed crimes on their behalf. So these parents don't really love their children and they are just criminals with no ethics.

Yeah, I think we'll just disagree here.

Pyrex wrote:
From what I gather, none - they were taking spots reserved for Athletics students.

Are you claiming there are no "highly intelligent kids from disadvantaged backgrounds" that can be athletes? Students that may have benefited from getting a spot on a team that went to one of these other kids?

US Attorney Lelling:

"For every student admitted through fraud an honest, genuinely talented student was rejected."

I know more than my share of good athletes that are students first.

afcjets

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:19 am

ltbewr wrote:
First of all, the students should be immediately expelled for filing fraudulent applications and records. Sorry, but they were clearly involved in this scam with their parents.
Their parents should go to jail, if hold business licenses lose them upon conviction or a plea deal and fired from their jobs. Those involve in the schemes at the colleges have already and all should lose their jobs and go to jail. One of the parents is one of the biggest (and apparently phony) 'good' hedge fund, he should lose his share in it. In the case of the 2 actresses involved, upon conviction/plea deal, they should never get another paid acting or related job again.

What should happen to the Senator running for President for filing fraudulent applications?

afcjets

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:30 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Here's Oliva Jade's (Loughlin's daughter) YT video, where she expresses her reason for going to the University.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lveMkZc-NRE

You mean a pretty 18 year old is looking forward to college for the social experience, parties, frat guys, game days, but is not excited about hard classes, studying, exams, or getting a degree in engineering? She sounds like pretty much every girl I went to high school with.

1836Sam

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:57 am

Magog wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

You don’t seem to know how bribes work.

max999

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:20 am

fr8mech wrote:
max999 wrote:

Yeah, I think we'll just disagree here.

I am going down harsh on the parents because of all things that they have done to damage their children.

Here are some ways the kids can be hurt:
    *They can be prosecuted. The indictment said some of the kids were aware of the scheme.
    *They could get expelled from college. If they are already in the school, the schools will find out they entered under false pretenses.
    *Their degrees could be rescinded. Again, the school will find out they entered under false pretenses.
    *They could get fired from their jobs. If they are already employed, their school qualifications are untrue because everything was falsified from the beginning.

fr8mech

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:33 am

max999 wrote:
I am going down harsh on the parents because of all things that they have done to damage their children.

*They can be prosecuted. The indictment said some of the kids were aware of the scheme.
    *They could get expelled from college. If they are already in the school, the schools will find out they entered under false pretenses.
    *Their degrees could be rescinded. Again, the school will find out they entered under false pretenses.
    *They could get fired from their jobs. If they are already employed, their school qualifications are untrue because everything was falsified from the beginning.

Yes, but this list presents a different argument from your initial statement that:

max999 wrote:
. So I suspect, these people likely cheated their way to the top throughout their lives.

I agree with you that the parents have potentially damaged their children's reputations and, quite possibly, their future prospects. But that doesn't automatically translate to the parents cheating their way through life.

One action, or series of actions, does not necessarily defines one's past, especially when those actions are "for the good of their children".

A3801000

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:44 am

I have no idea what this is all about: EVERYTHING in the USA is for sale, from gun laws to the presidency, only money counts.

max999

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:58 am

fr8mech wrote:
max999 wrote:

Yes, but this list presents a different argument from your initial statement that:

max999 wrote:
. So I suspect, these people likely cheated their way to the top throughout their lives.

I agree with you that the parents have potentially damaged their children's reputations and, quite possibly, their future prospects. But that doesn't automatically translate to the parents cheating their way through life.

One action, or series of actions, does not necessarily defines one's past, especially when those actions are "for the good of their children".

You weren't specific in your last message about which part you disagreed with so I thought it was about the children.

I believe that when a person is unethical in their personal lives (as in this case), that kind of behavior crosses into their professional lives as well. There isn't a line that separates the two because ethics are innate to a person.

They committed criminal acts to get their children ahead. For many parents, children are an extension of their themselves and of their ego. So it's logical they would act similarly to satisfy their own ego in their professional lives.

fr8mech

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:08 am

max999 wrote:

I believe that when a person is unethical in their personal lives (as in this case), that kind of behavior crosses into their professional lives as well. There isn't a line that separates the two because ethics are innate to a person.

And, we'll disagree here. There may be some that skirted the ethical line before kids. But, kids change the people think and act. The kid comes first and that skews decision making. Couple that with some fame, wealth & power, along with a general sense of entitlement that some may feel with that wealth, power & fame, and it's not a big leap that some parents may step over the line.

Dieuwer

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:31 pm

A3801000 wrote:
I have no idea what this is all about: EVERYTHING in the USA is for sale, from gun laws to the presidency, only money counts.

EXACTLY.
Big Pharma and Big Oil are constantly buying House members and senators. So, what's new?.

trpmb6

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:37 pm

Oh man this just gets better and better...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/lori-lou ... d76620e44f

The daughter of actress Lori Loughlin reportedly was vacationing in the Bahamas on the yacht of Rick Caruso, chairman of the University of Southern California Board of Trustees, as her parents were named Tuesday in a federal indictment accusing them of scamming to get their daughters into the school.

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:24 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Oh man this just gets better and better...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/lori-lou ... d76620e44f

The daughter of actress Lori Loughlin reportedly was vacationing in the Bahamas on the yacht of Rick Caruso, chairman of the University of Southern California Board of Trustees, as her parents were named Tuesday in a federal indictment accusing them of scamming to get their daughters into the school.

Getting an inside view of how the 1% lives.

And here comes the lawyers....

Multiple lawsuits are filed for more than $500 billion accusing Yale, USC and more of letting students 'waste' money applying for elite schools when it's actually rigged in the wake of college admissions cheating scandal

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... andal.html

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:27 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
Tugger wrote:
Magog wrote:

Tugg

Just to play along, is it not normal? Obviously this is a step further, but is it really much different than letter the child of a large donor in?

Mail Fraud
IRS Tax deduction fraud

Yeah, I'd say this different.

ltbewr

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:30 pm

Sadly, it is practically impossible to come up with and pass laws on the State and Federal levels to try to limit these abuse application to selective colleges. The rich, the schools have too much money and connections with the politicians who can prevent them.
I wish we could pass a law like over 50 years ago when the landmark Federal law Title IX came to be to end gender discrimination, especially for women, at colleges (the primary author of that act, Sen. Birch Byah, passed away today at age 91).

WIederling

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:50 pm

bagoldex wrote:

Guess the Numbers! Have more than half of students gotten their score improved via a friendly gift ?
Murphy is an optimist

WIederling

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:54 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Sadly, it is practically impossible to come up with and pass laws on the State and Federal levels to try to limit these abuse application to selective colleges. The rich, the schools have too much money and connections with the politicians who can prevent them.
I wish we could pass a law like over 50 years ago when the landmark Federal law Title IX came to be to end gender discrimination, especially for women, at colleges (the primary author of that act, Sen. Birch Byah, passed away today at age 91).

don't you have the laws ( taking /giving bribes ) and follow them/ enforce them ?
( Per aspiration the US is super lily white and moral to no end. suprise about the smudges here.)
Murphy is an optimist

dfwjim1

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:33 pm

Wouldn't have been better for the parents who gave large bribes to have given the money directly to their children?

WIederling

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:44 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
Wouldn't have been better for the parents who gave large bribes to have given the money directly to their children?

you can't trust those kids with being self aware and egoistic.
those parents are control nazis.
Murphy is an optimist

ltbewr

Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:37 am

Loughlin has been fired by Hallmark Channel and daughter Oliva has lost her biggest web advertiser.:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/lori- ... spartandhp
Hallmark Channel's social media sites were getting overwhelming demands to fire her. She will not have a passport after December and couldn't work and may lose her visa to work in Canada where most HC's productions are done. The daughters need to learn severe lessons in life that you can't buy your way into anything. Instead of trying to send her kids to college she should have been been trying to be a matchmaker to some rich young man. Would have been a much better decision.
Good, the best way to hurt these fools is taking their money and cut off attention to them.

LMP737

Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:58 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Mail Fraud
IRS Tax deduction fraud

Yeah, I'd say this different.

Is it really that different?

People with money using that money to get their kid into a university they otherwise might not have gotten into on just merit alone. The mistake these parents made is how they bought their children's spot at these universities. If they had done it the old fashioned way, i.e. a large cash contribution directly to the school, then they would be okay legally speaking. And some kid without money or influence would be denied a spot nice and legal like.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.