910A
Topic Author

Gov. Newsom blocking death row executions in California

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:24 am

Breaking news coming out of Sacramento.

Gov. Gavin Newsom will sign an executive order on Wednesday to impose a moratorium on the death penalty in California, vowing that no prisoner in the state will be executed while he is in office because of a belief that capital punishment is discriminatory, unjust and “inconsistent with our bedrock values.”
The order will prevent the state from putting prisoners to death by granting temporary reprieves to all 737 condemned inmates on California’s death row, the largest in the nation. It will immediately close the execution chamber at San Quentin State Prison and scuttle the state’s ongoing efforts to devise a constitutional method for lethal injection. No inmate will be released and no sentence or conviction will be altered, the order says.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol ... -story.htm

apodino

Re: Gov. Newsom blocking death row executions in California

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:35 am

Good. Now we just need this to happen nationwide. I am not Newsom's biggest fan but he is 100 percent right here.

janders

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:50 am

Shame. Should instead speed up the process. Embarrassing these convicted criminals get to sit around for decades before justice is ever served.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

TTailedTiger

Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:08 am

Oh wonderful, he is going against the will of the people. :mad:

stl07

Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:40 am

Execution is more expensive than jail for life to the taxpayer, can be inhumane if process hurts or gets wrong guy, and is a way out of your punishment if you committed a crime
I'd rather be in FLYover country than layover county

tommy1808

Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:44 am

janders wrote:
Shame. Should instead speed up the process. Embarrassing these convicted criminals get to sit around for decades before justice is ever served.

You mean before murder is committed by the state.

TTailedTiger wrote:

Yeah... like that traitor Lincoln, clearly the wrong side lost the civil war... :banghead:

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

NIKV69

Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:11 am

Not a shock. Criminals in CA have always been held to a much lower standard. Those poor murderers need all the help they can get. :roll:
See that Broccoli over there? It's racist!

Redd

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:07 pm

156 innocent people have been exonerated from death row since 1973, and it's estimated that 1 in 25 executed inmates turn out to be innocent.. If the margin of error is anything greater than ZERO there should be no death penalty.

Being as high as it is it's beyond shameful, medieval and just plain red-neck-ass backwards.

einsteinboricua

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:11 pm

Ah...nothing like seeing our resident pro-life, Christian members being upset about a moratorium against the death penalty, something their religion forbids (you know, because religion is only necessary if it supports your point of view). Even better, seeing them upset about a state they probably don't live in either (because states' rights unless it doesn't go with what THEY want).

TTailedTiger wrote:

So are the Republicans in Idaho and Utah after referendums there expanded Medicaid into the ACA, but hey...

If anything this shows that CA, while being a blue state at the federal level, is not as liberal when it comes to some issues.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

TTailedTiger

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:14 pm

Redd wrote:
156 innocent people have been exonerated from death row since 1973, and it's estimated that 1 in 25 executed inmates turn out to be innocent.. If the margin of error is anything greater than ZERO there should be no death penalty.

Being as high as it is it's beyond shameful, medieval and just plain red-neck-ass backwards.

I had no idea the Japanese could be viewed as rednecks.

FatCat

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:54 pm

what's the point of having death penalty in the law and not implement it
also
what's the point of having hundreds of criminals with a death penalty sentence pending laying around for decades

reading your replies about innocents being executed, I understand that innocents being held in prison for life is a better solution than not having innocents convicted in the first place
also
with the more modern forensic science, the number of death row / life sentence convicted innocents should drop, you cannot take historical data for a comparison, and if you want, you then have to sum up all since the beginning - but be careful, the back you go, the more innocents sentenced to death penalty you found. You maybe remember those who burned the withches years ago?
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

seb146

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:07 pm

OMG!!!! California did something!!!! Let's all be outraged and the whole country get mad at a state-level decision!!!!

vs.

Why y'all mad about what Kentucky did? States rights. Stay out of their business unless you live there.

I think there should be no death penalty for two reasons. 1) some of those convicted are actually innocent and 2) forcing a person to sit in a cell their whole lives, not able to see anything or anyone else and have that crime on their mind every minute of every hour of every day would be far worse.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

TTailedTiger

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:16 pm

seb146 wrote:
OMG!!!! California did something!!!! Let's all be outraged and the whole country get mad at a state-level decision!!!!

vs.

Why y'all mad about what Kentucky did? States rights. Stay out of their business unless you live there.

I think there should be no death penalty for two reasons. 1) some of those convicted are actually innocent and 2) forcing a person to sit in a cell their whole lives, not able to see anything or anyone else and have that crime on their mind every minute of every hour of every day would be far worse.

I don't see anyone saying that CA's governor doesn't have the right to make that decision. It will be up to the voters next election to see if it was a wise one. Most Americans don't cry for murderers.

Dutchy

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:43 pm

Good, fewer penalties being caring out the better. Now get rid of the death penalty in the criminal code.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Dutchy

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:46 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
seb146 wrote:

vs.

I don't see anyone saying that CA's governor doesn't have the right to make that decision. It will be up to the voters next election to see if it was a wise one. Most Americans don't cry for murderers.

Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

tommy1808

Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:25 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
Most Americans don't cry for murderers.

Funny, considering they are part of a conspiracy to commit murder.

Best regards
Thomas

910A
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:55 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
. Most Americans don't cry for murderers.

Most Americans don't like to see innocent people executed either.

Redd

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:03 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
Redd wrote:

Japanese?

TTailedTiger

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:31 pm

Redd wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
Redd wrote:

Japanese?

Yes, Japan has the death penalty too. They just recently had an execution.

910A
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:39 pm

Redd wrote:
Japanese?

Executions are done in secret in Japan, with no advance warning given to the prisoner, their family or legal representatives, according to Amnesty International.
Prisoners often only learn of their impending execution a matter of hours before it takes place.
Capital punishment is usually reserved for those who have committed multiple murders. All executions are done by hanging.

15 all total last year.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/27/asia/jap ... index.html

tommy1808

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:58 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
Redd wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Japanese?

So the usual: other countries are as terrible as mine, so who cares....
There is a reason that countries with state sponsored murder are either dictatorships or a tiny minority of real countries: because they are wrong, well into criminal.

Best regards
Thomas

TTailedTiger

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:02 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
Redd wrote:

Japanese?

So the usual: other countries are as terrible as mine, so who cares....
There is a reason that countries with state sponsored murder are either dictatorships or a tiny minority of real countries: because they are wrong, well into criminal.

Best regards
Thomas

I hope you are voting with your feet and wallet and not visiting any of these countries and making sure none of your money goes to them.

tommy1808

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:20 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
I hope you are voting with your feet and wallet and not visiting any of these countries and making sure none of your money goes to them.

Nah, priorities... dictatorships first, the other uncivilized places.
However, incidentally I am going to un-employ a couple of Americans tomorrow.. .. but that is just business.

Best regards
Thomas

TTailedTiger

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:33 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Nah, priorities... dictatorships first, the other uncivilized places.
However, incidentally I am going to un-employ a couple of Americans tomorrow.. .. but that is just business.

Best regards
Thomas

Lol sure. Says the person who lists their age as 102.

seb146

Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:06 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
seb146 wrote:

vs.

https://www.apnews.com/23e52972fd6a4e118e269bce530e2cba

In 2016, California voters decided to not speed up executions by lethal injections but, by 2% decided to restart executions. There were appeals over restarting executions. But, now that the California legislature has even more Democrats, isn't that the will of the people? Or is the will of the people only what Republicans want?

ltbewr

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:22 am

The Governor of California is making a decision to effectively end the death penalty in his state for a range of reasons. Perhaps the most immediate are that poisoned gas the state has long used has become unacceptable for several reasons and attempts to use a series of injections of lethal drugs to carry them out has presented serious cruelty issues in their use. The use of drugs has become more difficult due to the inability to get certain preferred or alternative drugs due to bans by suppliers for liability and moral pressure. Other methods have moral, racial, historic, cruelty, economic and practical reasons that has cause them to be unusable.

Yes, I know many disagree with the CA Governor, but sometimes an act like this is the right one to make for humanity.

Redd

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:49 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Redd wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Japanese?

Maybe you'd like to adress the facts and figures about innocent people being executed in your country which I provided, not shift the conversation away from what is uncomfortable for you do discuss.
What a bout that? instead of what about them?

TTailedTiger

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:57 am

ltbewr wrote:
The Governor of California is making a decision to effectively end the death penalty in his state for a range of reasons. Perhaps the most immediate are that poisoned gas the state has long used has become unacceptable for several reasons and attempts to use a series of injections of lethal drugs to carry them out has presented serious cruelty issues in their use. The use of drugs has become more difficult due to the inability to get certain preferred or alternative drugs due to bans by suppliers for liability and moral pressure. Other methods have moral, racial, historic, cruelty, economic and practical reasons that has cause them to be unusable.

Yes, I know many disagree with the CA Governor, but sometimes an act like this is the right one to make for humanity.

Three states have moved to Nitrogen asphyxiation. Completely painless and you'll die in a state of euphoria.

tommy1808

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:12 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Three states have moved to Nitrogen asphyxiation. Completely painless and you'll die in a state of euphoria.

How much does murdering your victim painless cut of the sentence for murder?

Murder is murder, doesn't matter by whom or how it is carried out.

Best regards
Thomas

Kiwirob

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:35 am

Redd wrote:

As they say you can't make an omelet without breaking eggs, so what if someone is accidentally executed, they were likely a bad egg anyway so there death wouldn't matter much. Besides that are pkenty of people on this planet bumping off a few won't do any harm.

Kiwirob

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:40 am

seb146 wrote:
2) forcing a person to sit in a cell their whole lives, not able to see anything or anyone else and have that crime on their mind every minute of every hour of every day would be far worse.

A lot of these people never show remorse so this won't be a problem for them at all. They're just using our oxygen and wasting taxpayer dollars.

IMO the problem with the death penalty in the US is the appeals process, they should get a single appeal within a prescribed time period, lets call it two years, if they lose it execute them. Nobody should have to sit on death row for more than a couple of years.

trpmb6

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:14 pm

So, politics of the death penalty aside - what gives Gov. Newsom the authority to do this? I suppose you could say this is - in a way - prosecutorial discretion perhaps? But they've already been sentenced. It's not quite a pardon, obviously, but perhaps you could call this commuting sentences? But not really - because he said "during my term" he won't allow it to happen, so the sentences are still in place. To me he's just kicking the can down the road.

slider

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:40 pm

So he'll block the execution of criminals, but enable the support of sanctuary policies that result in murder.

Makes perfect sense. Liberalism is a mental disorder.

wingman

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:06 pm

slider wrote:
So he'll block the execution of criminals, but enable the support of sanctuary policies that result in murder.

But he's not blocking the executions of murderers before they murder. If he did that it would be the plot of a sci-fi movie, one I'm sure you'd wish mightily would become reality. Black men over here, brown men over there, murder them all. Voila, no more murder. See how illogical your statement is? Unless I suppose you think that capital punishment reduces murder, which the United States policy proves unequivocally that it does not. We're the last remaining western nation to still have it and yet we still also have the highest per capita murder rate by a stunning margin, year after year after year after decades. Or perhaps you meant to show us stats proving that cities and states with sanctuary laws have higher per capita murder rates than those that do not..I'll wait for it. But I'll wager you don't have a mental disorder chief, I bet you don't even have the mental prerequisite..

910A
Topic Author

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:16 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
So, politics of the death penalty aside - what gives Gov. Newsom the authority to do this? I suppose you could say this is - in a way - prosecutorial discretion perhaps? But they've already been sentenced. It's not quite a pardon, obviously, but perhaps you could call this commuting sentences? But not really - because he said "during my term" he won't allow it to happen, so the sentences are still in place. To me he's just kicking the can down the road.

Governors have to sign the death warrant...he is saying he will not. Governors also have the right to commute the sentence.

tommy1808

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:22 pm

slider wrote:

Well, that is quite simply a lie, the best you can do is showing that sanctuary cities have zero effect on crime, if you do a meta study you'd find that it likely reduces crime.
Hence your ranting against sanctuary cities is a call for increased crime....

https://sociology.unc.edu/files/2018/01 ... -Crime.pdf

What's the ICD code? Rejecting overwhelming evidence, as you do, does have one....

Best regards
Thomas

seb146

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:47 pm

I wonder how many of these "kill 'em all!" types are also demanding that women not make their own health decisions? Every life is sacred until it exits the womb types? What is the justification?

Tugger

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:16 pm

I wonder if a recall campaign is in order since the citizens of California are who decide on the death penalty and it being implemented. It was voted on not long ago and was supported. I would support a recall since he cannot do the job assigned to him by the citizens. .

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

slider

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:42 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
slider wrote:

Well, that is quite simply a lie, the best you can do is showing that sanctuary cities have zero effect on crime, if you do a meta study you'd find that it likely reduces crime.

What's the ICD code? Rejecting overwhelming evidence, as you do, does have one....

Best regards
Thomas

Congrats on being wrong.

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/illegal-a ... ign=buffer

An illegal alien whom Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) tried to deport nine times has been arrested for murder in California.

“Suspect Carlos Eduardo Arevalo Carranza, a Salvadorian national, was arrested Monday and booked into jail for murder,” according to NBC Bay Area. “U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said agents tried to deport Carranza nine times before, but their detainers were not honored in both Los Angeles and Santa Clara counties.”

Here's the kicker: at no point in those NINE times was ICE notified once.

Everyone who aids and abets this sanctuary nonsense has blood on their hands. This is not a unique story. And Newsom is perfectly fine with this.

Redd

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:23 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Redd wrote:

As they say you can't make an omelet without breaking eggs, so what if someone is accidentally executed, they were likely a bad egg anyway so there death wouldn't matter much. Besides that are pkenty of people on this planet bumping off a few won't do any harm.

With that logic, I'm sure you wouldn't mind if you, your wife or kids, mother, father or friends ended up getting executed even if they were innocent?

DocLightning

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:09 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:

And you know this from extensive interviews of people who have been executed in this manner?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

TTailedTiger

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:31 pm

DocLightning wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

And you know this from extensive interviews of people who have been executed in this manner?

You can see interviews from factory workers who almost died in this manner.

tommy1808

Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:43 am

slider wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
slider wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

Congrats on being wrong.

Your link dies in no way show I am wrong, just that you don't know how statistics work.

That a single murderer did have a chance to commit murder because of sanctuary laws does in no way, shape of form mean that the total of muders is increased by sanctuary laws. Facts i provided show that is not the case, and you are still wrong. But thanks for playing.

I would also be suspicious of the sources quality if it has headlines like "EXCLUSIVE: Fox News Negotiated With A Terrorist Organization That Wants Judge Jeanine Pirro Fired", since no terrorist organisation ever had such demand, the meat of the story is correct. However, he isn't convicted yet, and since you don't consider Trump guilty of being a Russian spy, considering this guy as a murderer before conviction only shows that your bias is talking, facts don't matter.

Since you didn't provide an ICD code for being liberal I assume you retract that incorrect statement by failing to address it.

Best regards
Thomas

Kiwirob

Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:49 am

Redd wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
Redd wrote:

With that logic, I'm sure you wouldn't mind if you, your wife or kids, mother, father or friends ended up getting executed even if they were innocent?

Not going to happen, so I’m not concerned about this happening to anyone I know.

Redd

Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:04 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Redd wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Not going to happen, so I’m not concerned about this happening to anyone I know.

That wasn't my question. I'm asking if you'd be ok with something like that happeneing to a member of your family, following your logic that a few innocent people can be sacrificed.

Kiwirob

Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:42 am

Redd wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
Redd wrote:

That wasn't my question. I'm asking if you'd be ok with something like that happeneing to a member of your family, following your logic that a few innocent people can be sacrificed.

And my answer remains the same, it's not going to happen, none of my family or friends are criminals or hang with criminals, my suspicion is if you looked at all these people executed for crimes they didn't commit they most likely committed other crimes anyway, so again no big problem from me here.

Redd

Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:41 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Redd wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

And my answer remains the same, it's not going to happen, none of my family or friends are criminals or hang with criminals, my suspicion is if you looked at all these people executed for crimes they didn't commit they most likely committed other crimes anyway, so again no big problem from me here.

Luckily there is no authority executed based on your suspicions. You're approach to this problem is the same as Stalin, Mao, etc.... You should see someone b/c those are some classic signs you're a bit of a psychopath...

Kiwirob

Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:28 pm

Redd wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
Redd wrote:

Luckily there is no authority executed based on your suspicions. You're approach to this problem is the same as Stalin, Mao, etc.... You should see someone b/c those are some classic signs you're a bit of a psychopath...

Nah not really I’ve made it to 46 without killing anyone and haven’t had any physical altercations for decades, the chances of me being a psychopath are about as high as yours. I just don’t care if bad people are killed, nothing more nothing less.

seb146

Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:51 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Redd wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Nah not really I’ve made it to 46 without killing anyone and haven’t had any physical altercations for decades, the chances of me being a psychopath are about as high as yours. I just don’t care if bad people are killed, nothing more nothing less.

Tamir Rice was shot by police while sitting in a park playing with a toy gun. He was 12. Can't make an omelette without breaking eggs. He must have been a bad one.

I know this is an extreme example and the prison system does not execute minors, but this is what you are saying. It is okay to execute someone who happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time because law of averages.

I guess not every life is sacred......

Redd

Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:02 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

Nah not really I’ve made it to 46 without killing anyone

Keep up the good work! :rotfl: