trpmb6
Topic Author

Rain, Rain Go Away

Fri May 24, 2019 12:21 pm

I'm sick of rain. It should go where places actually need it. Our flood ways are full. Reservoirs are dumping excess water. The ground is so saturated you can't do anything. Farming in the midwest is going to be seriously hampered this season. Corn was already late getting planted.

The observed percentage of normal for much of the midwest (last 30 days) is in the 200% to 300% range. Some approaching 400%. Parts of California, Northern Arizona & new Mexico, Southern Nevada & Utah have seen 400% of normal rainfall.

https://www.agweb.com/weather/cumulative-rainfall/

My local area has seen around 15 inches of rainfall in the last week month. Most of it in the last 7 days. It's insane. With no end in sight. Our neighbors to the south in Oklahoma (specifically Tulsa) are dealing with historic flooding. Towns in southern Missouri along the Mississippi are as well.

(Image in millimeters)

bgm

Re: Rain, Rain Go Away

Fri May 24, 2019 1:08 pm

Perhaps this is God's way of reprimanding certain parts of the US who don't believe in climate change... :duck:

Jokes aside, that is a serious amount of rainfall.
Sweet Home Talibama. Home of Y’all Qaeda

zakuivcustom

Fri May 24, 2019 1:35 pm

Agricultural sector in US is definitely facing a double whammy. Flooding hurting crop yield along with tariffs response from China that target that sector.

But wow...the OP's state (Kansas) is getting hit hard. At least up here in Indiana things are more normal.

Dutchy

Fri May 24, 2019 1:43 pm

bgm wrote:
Perhaps this is God's way of reprimanding certain parts of the US who don't believe in climate change... :duck:.

:lol:

On a serious note, you can't say this is caused by climate change, but you can say that extreme weather will be more frequent, weather like this.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

marcelh

Fri May 24, 2019 1:44 pm

bgm wrote:
Perhaps this is God's way of reprimanding certain parts of the US who don't believe in climate change... :duck:

Jokes aside, that is a serious amount of rainfall.

Sweet home Talibama... :rotfl:

einsteinboricua

Fri May 24, 2019 2:38 pm

We in WA could use some of that rain. It's been pretty dry out here...unusual for the PNW. Then again, with a negative ENSO phase (aka. El Niño), there is some correlation to the rain pummeling the Plains since the jet stream is further south and straighter than usual.

bgm wrote:
Perhaps this is God's way of reprimanding certain parts of the US who don't believe in climate change..

No, no...you have it all wrong.

You see, in a state like CA, WA, or NY, if there's a natural disaster, it's because it's God's punishment for leading and promoting sinful lifestyles. In a state like TX, AL, or KS, it's just the Lord working in mysterious ways.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

trpmb6
Topic Author

Fri May 24, 2019 2:53 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
We in WA could use some of that rain. It's been pretty dry out here...unusual for the PNW. Then again, with a negative ENSO phase (aka. El Niño), there is some correlation to the rain pummeling the Plains since the jet stream is further south and straighter than usual.

Exactly right. We have been stuck in this pattern for almost 2 months now it seems.

I really hope it shifts for you folks in the PNW. You really need the rain. Too many wildfires in beautiful parts of the country up there recently. I know it's been roughly 6 years now, but I still remember the wildfires in the Steven's pass area that devastated parts near Leavenworth. (One of my favorite places to visit up there - have to stop at the Munchen Haus and Icicle brewery).

casinterest

Fri May 24, 2019 2:56 pm

I am glad to see the rain shift from NC for a bit. We have had a very wet winter. I do hope the floods stop in the Mississippi river valley though. Don't need massive flooding this year.
Where ever you go, there you are.

NoTime

Fri May 24, 2019 3:01 pm

On the bright side - the US drought monitor has reached the lowest level (least amount of drought in the country) on record (since the year 2000).

Okie

Fri May 24, 2019 3:04 pm

Well the rainfall is such that the water is "Hubcap Deep to a Ferris Wheel". :yes:
My yard is a Quaking Bog and the Koi have abandon their pond and are thumbing it at the curb looking for a ride to a dryer environment.

zakuivcustom wrote:
But wow...the OP's state (Kansas) is getting hit hard.

Oklahoma is a large producer of winter wheat, normally you hear about harvest starting about mid-May then moving north.
Not heard a word about the harvest yet, it is just too muddy to get the equipment into the fields to harvest the crop.

Okie

trpmb6
Topic Author

Fri May 24, 2019 3:55 pm

Okie wrote:
Well the rainfall is such that the water is "Hubcap Deep to a Ferris Wheel". :yes:
My yard is a Quaking Bog and the Koi have abandon their pond and are thumbing it at the curb looking for a ride to a dryer environment.

zakuivcustom wrote:
But wow...the OP's state (Kansas) is getting hit hard.

Oklahoma is a large producer of winter wheat, normally you hear about harvest starting about mid-May then moving north.
Not heard a word about the harvest yet, it is just too muddy to get the equipment into the fields to harvest the crop.

Okie

I drive by a few fields of winter wheat on my way to work each day. They're pretty much washed out at this point. I suspect we might finally see a rise in wheat prices for a change. One of the farmer's near me did manage to get his corn crop in during a few dry days 2 weeks ago. They're thriving right now. Amazing how quickly they've sprouted and shot up.

787Driver

Fri May 24, 2019 6:15 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
I'm sick of rain.

If you had spent summer in Europe last year, you´d appreciate rain more than anything.

LittleFokker

Fri May 24, 2019 8:06 pm

Chicagoland has received a record amount of rainfall in the month of May, and area farmers will likely not be able to plant corn this season. I haven't heard for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same in Iowa and Nebraska. Hopefully the decrease in corn production will be enough to drive companies even more so away from the use of HFCS in all the foods that it's used in.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

ER757

Fri May 24, 2019 8:25 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Exactly right. We have been stuck in this pattern for almost 2 months now it seems.

I really hope it shifts for you folks in the PNW. You really need the rain. Too many wildfires in beautiful parts of the country up there recently. I know it's been roughly 6 years now, but I still remember the wildfires in the Steven's pass area that devastated parts near Leavenworth. (One of my favorite places to visit up there - have to stop at the Munchen Haus and Icicle brewery).

the lack of rain coupled with the low snowpack from this winter is a recipe for some nasty wildfires this summer up here I am afraid. We've been pretty fortunate on the west side of the Cascade crest over the past few years, most of the really bad fires were east of the crest. It's a double edged sword - it's been good that there haven't been any large fires on the west side, but it means there is A LOT of fuel on the forest floor and one careless campfire or one dry lightning strike and it's game over.

cjg225

Sat May 25, 2019 2:04 pm

If you look outside the Midwest, the next darkest splotch of blue in the US is where I live, eastern Pennsylvania. The Lehigh Valley (Lehigh and Northampton counties in PA) have received, far and away, the most rain in the entire state so far this year. We keep getting smashed by storms one right after another. It's incredible how our counties seem to be the nexus of every storm that passes by regardless of which direction that they come from. We blew past the May record for rain almost 2 weeks ago.

We've been in our current house 21 years. In the first 20 years, our sump pumps ran maybe 14 days, total. Since August 3rd of 2018, our pumps have run every day except for 2 in September. Currently, we're pumping approximately 2 million gallons per week from our sumps. All the farm fields around us are under water and useless for the growing season. Never seen anything remotely like this in my nearly 30 years in the Lehigh Valley.

All of that is bad when you're trying to sell the house....
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

atomicstar

Wed May 29, 2019 4:27 am

LittleFokker wrote:
Chicagoland has received a record amount of rainfall in the month of May, and area farmers will likely not be able to plant corn this season. I haven't heard for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same in Iowa and Nebraska. Hopefully the decrease in corn production will be enough to drive companies even more so away from the use of HFCS in all the foods that it's used in.

Yes I really agree to this. I live in Chicago, and it is currently raining nearly every day this month. Not only would it be rainy, but the temperature keeps fluctuating due to clouds which kind of annoys me.

ORDfan101

Wed May 29, 2019 12:16 pm

I’m from Chicago and I hate this stupid rain! Go rain on the Canucks!