lanzarote

Article About A.net In The Aero International Magazine

Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:21 pm

Hello guys, Hello Johan,

when I bought today the newest release of the german civil aviation magazine "AERO International" I was very surprised. It contains a great 8-page long article about "our" website airliners.net. There are showed 15 photos from the website and additional an electronic aircraft-puzzle showing Johan. Congratulation to him. Absolutely great.

regards

Jochen Thoma - BFS

Here is the front page

haj96

Article About A.net In The Aero International Magazine

Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:28 pm

Lanzarote: I was just about to post the same info but thought about searching for this topic first. So you were faster then me.  Big grin
I was also surprised when I read the article since I didn´t expect to see the airliners.net photos. Really nice photos and very interesting and positive article about a.net. So whoever has a chance to get the magazine should go for it.  Big thumbs up

Regards,
haj96

administrator

RE: Article About A.net In The Aero International Magazine

Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:23 am

I just got a copy of the magazine myself and really enjoyed the article although my German could be better. That "Flugzeug-Puzzle"" of me looks rather weird though as the individual images does not show very well - I just seem to have very bad skin  Big grin

I will contact the magazine and see if I can host a copy of the article here on Airliners.net.

Thanks,
Johan

[Edited 2005-01-28 18:28:44]
Working on the site from morning 'till night that's livin' alright (1997-2007)

Sabena332

Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:29 am

I also bought a copy of the latest Aero International issue after I read this thread yesterday. It is a very good article combined with some of the best pictures of the year 2004.

They even mentioned the forum moderators  Big thumbs up.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

INNflight

Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:03 am

There was a topic about this in the Photog' Forum several weeks ago as AERO contacted all the "top-photos of 2004" photographers for the image use.

Will get the magazine tomorrow.

Florian
Jet Visuals

airbusA346

Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:32 am

Is their any place I can by the magazine in Staffordshire, England, UK.

Tom
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

Phaeton

Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:24 am

This doesn’t really belong here, but for those of you that can’t buy the magazine I have put together all the airliners.net pictures which are contained in the AERO INTERNATIONAL article.

On the front page as seen above we can see these two pictures.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © AdamS

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jay Piboontum

These are the pictures contained in the article.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Wietse de Graaf - AirTeamImages

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ben Wang

View Large View Medium

Photo © Árpád Gordos

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andreas Zeitler - Flying-Wings

View Large View Medium

Photo © Dan Valentine - Flight Level Images - FLI

(Note this picture was taken in 2003)

View Large View Medium

Photo © Europix

View Large View Medium

Photo © Matt Willmott-Sharp

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Garfinkel

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sam Chui

View Large View Medium

Photo © Miguel Snoep

View Large View Medium

Photo © Robert Budde

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bailey - AirTeamImages

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paulo Herren - Jumpseat Team

View Large View Medium

Photo © Luis Rosa

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mike "Rotor" Nowak

Regards,
Thomas
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.", Winston Churchill

mrniji

Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:15 pm

Maybe someone could give a brief synopsis of the article's content here? Will tell someone in Germany to buy me a copy.. where can one buy the magazine? With every newsagent?

Patrick, kindly keep the magazine back.. if I see you sometime, I could have a look  Big grin
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

airbusA346

Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:05 pm

Johan, if their is a picture of you made out of aircraft going around the web and Germany, why don't you just put a good quality picture of you on the 'About A.net' page.

Tom
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

futureuapilot

Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:33 am

Hey everyone, I got a question. Because I can't buy a copy (looked in all the local magazine and book shops), would someone be kind enough to email me the article? Thanks!

-Sam

p.s, Is that a german only magazine?
The Pilot is the highest form of life on Earth!

Sabena332

Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:18 am

Because I can't buy a copy (looked in all the local magazine and book shops), would someone be kind enough to email me the article? Thanks!

I would but unfortunately I don't have a scanner  Sad. As Johan wrote above, he is trying to get a copy to post it here later.

p.s, Is that a german only magazine?

Yes, it is only in German but when I have time I will translate it tomorrow evening and post it here in this thread (sorry, I just returned from a daytrip to London and I am really too tired to translate the article right now).

Patrick

Edit: Typo

[Edited 2005-01-30 01:19:14]
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Marambio

Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:24 am

Hey guys,

I'll be going to Germany in a couple of days. Are there special places where to buy this Aero Int'l Magazine, or just at any newsstand?

Saludos,
Marambio
Aerolíneas Argentinas - La Argentina que levanta vuelo

Sabena332

Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:46 am

I'll be going to Germany in a couple of days. Are there special places where to buy this Aero Int'l Magazine, or just at any newsstand?

Ola Marambio,

You sould have no problems to get it at any airport or train station news store, just ask for it at the desk and the shop assistant will help you.

Sorry, I wrote that I will translate the article but I was too lazy this evening  Big grin. I will do it when I have more time.

Subin (MrNiji), of course I will keep the issue for you!

Patrick

futureuapilot

Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:16 am

Sabena332: How dare you not translate that article!!!  Big grin
No worries, Hope Johan can host a copy of the article!

-Sam

wietse

RE: Article About A.net In The Aero International

Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:47 pm

I should be getting it in the mail sometime soon. They asked for my adress to send the magazine to, so I can't wait!

Wietse
Wietse de Graaf

gkirk

Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:58 pm

Sabena332 you lazy German git  Big grin
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

174thfwff

Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:09 pm

Congrats Johan!
Did they really mention the forum moderators? Oh boy. What did they have to say about us  Smile
-174th
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

administrator

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:05 am

AERO International were very kind and just sent me a PDF file of the Article. Now you can all read it!

I hope one of you will be able to post a good translation of the article into english real soon!  Smile

Thanks,
Johan
Working on the site from morning 'till night that's livin' alright (1997-2007)

British767

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:58 am

After reading through it, I think I may be able to translate it, so I would like to try and do it, with the help of a huge dictionary. Would anybody mind if I did? If anybody objects, please say. It should take me about 2 hours or so from now.

I don't mean to make anyone look bad, because they aren't doing it, it would just help me practice translating a rather long piece of writing (as I'll have to do in an exam later this year).

I am confident that I am able to translate it, the German isn't too complex, but if I find I can't do it, then I'll stop, and leave it to a native speaker.

[Edited 2005-01-31 18:15:33]

gkirk

Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:13 am

Unfortunatly the Google Translator didnt work  Big grin
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

MYT332

Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:34 am

I translated half of it using free online translators but I got a tad bored!

We'll leave it to Ben me thinks or that lazeabout, Sabena332!
One Life, Live it.

Sabena332

Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:53 am

Ok, let's split the work.

Ben, do you want to translate the first site? Then I will translate the second. I could start at "Soviel wie möglich wurde ausgelagert...."

Is that ok?

Patrick

British767

Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:00 am

Yep, sounds good to me Patrick. Right now, I am up to "Ausgelagert". I really hope you don't mind me translating some of it.

[Edited 2005-01-31 19:01:07]

Sabena332

Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:05 am

Perfect, I will start with my translation when I finished eating my pizza.

I really hope you don't mind me translating some of it.

No, I am glad that you are helping!

Patrick

British767

Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:07 am

Well, here is my attempt, apologies if any of it is wrong.

Title: Best of Airliners.net

Top of first photo on the left: One can admire aviation from one fascinating website: Ten years ago a Swedish student created a forum for spotters from all over the word. Aero International has chosen the best photos of 2004.

Bottom of the same photo: A Kuwait Airlines A340-300 under a Lufthansa A340-600 during flight, over Amsterdam – Schiphol. Photo: Wieste de Graaf

Photo on top-right of the first page: A Lufthansa 747-400 on approach to runway 28R next to a United Airlines 757-200 about to land on runway 28L at San Fransisco International Airport. Photo: Ben Wang.

Next photo down: When Hungary joined the EU, a Malev 737-300 flew through the Hungarian capital – here it is in front of the parliament’s building in Budapest. Photo: Arpád Gordos

Photo at the top-left of the second page: On it’s flight around the world, the South East Asian Airlines Do 24ATT amphibian crosses the Bavarian Alps in September 2004. Photo: Andreas Zeitler.

Bottom left photo on the second page: A WinAir DHC-6 Twin Otter on short finals to the Caribbean island of St. Barthélémy. Photo: Dan Valentine.

Top-right photo on the second page: A KLM 747-400 brushes the beach, as it is just short of landing at Princess Juliana Airport on the Caribbean island of St. Maarten. Photo: Europix

Bottom-right photo of the second page: Directly in front of the windows of the Mandalay Bay Hotel in Las Vegas, this Northwest Airlines 757-200 powers towards the heavens. Photo: Matt Willmott-Sharp.

Top-left photo on the third page: Numerous spotter greet this Corsair 747-300 during it's arrival into a rainy St. Maarten. Photo: markgarfinkel.com

Top-right photo on the third page: Clouds of condensation waft over the wings of this Singapore Airlines 747-400. Photo: Miguel Snoep.

Middle-right photo on the third page: Almost completely covered in condensation, this Delta Air Lines 777-200 approaches Dublin. Photo: Robert Budde.

Bottom-right photo on the third page: Violent vapour trails show this A330 (airline unknown) underneath another aircraft. Photo: Bailey – AirTeamImages.

Top-left photo on the fourth page: In the heart of the Brazilian city of Sao Paulo lies the Congonhas Airport, which this VASP 737-200 is heading for. Photo: Paulo Herren – Jumpseat Team.

Top-right photo on the fourth page: A United Airlines 757-200 is just a few metres away from the runway at San Diego International Airport. Photo: Mike “Rotor” Nowak.

Bottom-left photo on the fourth page: A Monarch Airlines 757-200 on approach to Gibraltar Airport. Photo: Luis Rosa.

Picture of Johan: A complex talent: Electronic Aircraft-Puzzle of the creator of Airliners.net, Johan Lundgren.

Main Text:

Like most big things in this world, Airliners.net also began very small. Johan Lundgren, a young I.T. student in the northern town of Luleå, Sweden, had a liking to aircraft, which he expressed in the form of a single website. There he collected, of which, in the middle of the 90’s, he found a substantial number on the under developed World Wide Web. During his military service, which interrupted his studying for a year in 1995, he worked continuously on his website, which was named “Pictures of Modern Airliners”. With the developing of the WWW, his website became established, and complete foreigner to the Internet Lundgren uploaded his own aircraft photos to his website. That soon took control, and with the section “Your Photos”, Lundgren finally gave photographers the opportunity to show the hundreds of photos, which been sent to him, on the website. In 1997 Lundgren renamed the website: Airliners.net was born, and a single server was set up in Lundgren’s dormitory in student accommodation. It wasn't long until Airliners.net hosted additional discussion forums, aircraft descriptions, aviation related articles, a virtual shop, a postcard service, and, and, and… One server became four, and the room where Lundgren lived, was filled with the hums of the computer, as the temperature climbed to a tropical climate. In the end someone offered to set up his computers in the university computer rooms, which is where they still stand today.

Evacuated

From what started as a hobby became a full time job. Lundgren not only looked after the hardware, but also the software. Airliners.net runs on Linux. His studying suffered, but the site grew, and prospered, and Lundgren needed help. Fortunately there were a substantial number of aviation enthusiasts, who were willing to offer their time and knowledge to Airliners.net. Today there are around 80 volunteers, who run different areas of the website, which included moderating the discussion forums, screening photos, editing the database, and without this assistance, the success Airliners.net would not be possible. Not only is the field of aviation important, but also Lundgren has to concentrate on surviving with the huge pile of jobs and materials.

Ben

[Edited 2005-01-31 20:19:55]

Sabena332

Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:11 am

Ok, here is the second part:

As much as possible got sourced out - the virtual shop, ticket and hotel bookings, the print sales, the news section and, and, and... this helps to keep the costs low, forthermore is Lundgren still the only full-time worker of Airliners.net. Earnings are made with the ads, sales (I think they mean the shop) and with the membership fees.

First Class Members have admission to every part of the site without annoying ads, they can subscibe to the news service, read aviation articles, surfing the site or chatting with other members.

What is making Airliners.net so unique? Lundgren's answer is simple: "We are the biggest". And that in every aspect, approximately 100.000 people are visiting A.net every day. News from thousands of sources are available and over 10.000 photographers from all over the world - who finally found a forum to exchange photos, ideas and thoughts - are presenting their work.

But the screeners don't have mercy with every picture, approximately two-thirds of all pictures get rejected because the criterias are very strikt. The quality must be perfect or the motive has to be unique.

You can find almost everything on Airliners.net, no matter if you are searching for pictures of remains of an aircraft which crashed, the latest computer animation of a planned airport, or a picture of a real rare aircraft type.

The acceptance of pictures is rather restrictive but Airliners.net is open for everyone who wants to present his pictures on the site, no matter if you are professional photographer or an amateur, everyone is allowed to send photos.

Lundgren is still no photographer and still no computer scientist. Airliners.net don't let him enough time to study and he has to work a lot with computers anyway. He hopes to graduate in economics and in political science some day. And when the PPL holder needs a little bit distance from all the trouble, he is simply going up in the air in his spare time.

Patrick

draigonair

Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:18 am

wow thanks Patrick!

nice article btw!

cheers

Nick
cheers

Jaspike

Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:24 am

Ben & Patrick - thanks for doing that  Big thumbs up

Quite a good article  Smile

Tom

futureuapilot

Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:09 am

Thanks Guys! That's really nice of ya!
-Sam

airkas1
Crew

Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:54 am

Cool article Big thumbs up

Ben/Patrick - Thanks for the translation!! Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Airliners.net Crew - Photo Screener

British767

Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:05 am

Hi guys, I found a few flaws in my translation, and so here is the corrected version. Sorry for being a pain:

Title: Best of Airliners.net

Top of first photo on the left: One can admire aviation from one fascinating website: Ten years ago a Swedish student created a forum for spotters from all over the word. Aero International has chosen the best photos of 2004.

Bottom of the same photo: A Kuwait Airlines A340-300 under a Lufthansa A340-600 during flight, over Amsterdam – Schiphol. Photo: Wieste de Graaf

Photo on top-right of the first page: A Lufthansa 747-400 on approach to runway 28R next to a United Airlines 757-200 about to land on runway 28L at San Fransisco International Airport. Photo: Ben Wang.

Next photo down: When Hungary joined the EU, a Malev 737-300 flew through the Hungarian capital – here it is in front of the parliament’s building in Budapest. Photo: Arpád Gordos

Photo at the top-left of the second page: On it’s flight around the world, the South East Asian Airlines Do 24ATT amphibian crosses the Bavarian Alps in September 2004. Photo: Andreas Zeitler.

Bottom left photo on the second page: A WinAir DHC-6 Twin Otter on short finals to the Caribbean island of St. Barthélémy. Photo: Dan Valentine.

Top-right photo on the second page: A KLM 747-400 brushes the beach, as it is just short of landing at Princess Juliana Airport on the Caribbean island of St. Maarten. Photo: Europix

Bottom-right photo of the second page: Directly in front of the windows of the Mandalay Bay Hotel in Las Vegas, this Northwest Airlines 757-200 powers towards the heavens. Photo: Matt Willmott-Sharp.

Top-left photo on the third page: Numerous spotter greet this Corsair 747-300 during the arrival into a rainy St. Maarten. Photo: markgarfinkel.com

Top-right photo on the third page: Clouds of condensation waft over the wings of this Singapore Airlines 747-400. Photo: Miguel Snoep.

Middle-right photo on the third page: Almost completely covered in condensation, this Delta Air Lines 777-200 approaches Dublin. Photo: Robert Budde.

Bottom-right photo on the third page: Violent vapour trails show this A330 (airline unknown) underneath another aircraft. Photo: Bailey – AirTeamImages.

Top-left photo on the fourth page: In the heart of the Brazilian city of Sao Paulo lies the Congonhas Airport, which this VASP 737-200 is heading for. Photo: Paulo Herren – Jumpseat Team.

Top-right photo on the fourth page: A United Airlines 757-200 is just a few metres away from the runway at San Diego International Airport. Photo: Mike “Rotor” Nowak.

Bottom-left photo on the fourth page: A Monarch Airlines 757-200 on approach to Gibraltar Airport. Photo: Luis Rosa.

Picture of Johan: A complex gift: Electronic Aircraft-Puzzle of the creator of Airliners.net, Johan Lundgren.

Main Text:

Like most big things in this world, Airliners.net also began very small. Johan Lundgren, a young I.T. student in the northern town of Luleå, Sweden, had a liking to aircraft, which he expressed in the form of a single website. There he collected photos during the 90’s, of which a substantial number were found on the under developed World Wide Web. During his military service, which interrupted his studying for a year in 1995, he worked continuously on his website, which was named “Picture of Modern Airliners”. With the developing of the WWW, his website became established, and complete foreigner to the Internet Lundgren uploaded his own aircraft photos to his website. That soon took control, and with the section “Your Photos”, Lundgren finally gave photographers the opportunity to show their hundreds of photos on the website. In 1997 Lundgren renamed the website: Airliners.net was born, and a single server was set up in Lundgren’s dormitory in his student accommodation. It didn’t last long until Airliners.net hosted additional discussion forums, aircraft descriptions, aviation related articles, a virtual shop, a postcard service, and, and, and… One server became four, and the room where Lundgren lived, was filled with the hums of the computer, as the temperature climbed to a tropical climate. In the end someone offered to set up his computers in the university computer rooms, which is where they still stand today.

Evacuated

From what started out as a hobby became a full time job. Lundgren not only looked after the hardware, but also the software. Airliners.net runs on Linux. His studying suffered, but the site grew, and prospered, and Lundgren needed help. Fortunately there were a substantial number of aviation enthusiasts, who were willing to offer their time and knowledge to Airliners.net. Today there are around 80 volunteers, who run different areas of the website, which includes moderating the discussion forums, screening photos and editing the database. Without this help, the success Airliners.net would not be possible. Not only is the aviation field important, but also Lundgren has to concentrate on surviving with the huge pile of jobs and materials.

Sabena332

Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:18 am

Ben,

I must say that your understanding of German is very good! The text is freaking well translated! (yes, even the first translation).

Actually I am very surprised that someone is interested in the German language, well done  Big thumbs up.

Patrick

[Edited 2005-02-01 01:19:04]

USAFHummer

Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:57 am

Very cool, thanks guys for the translation...I didn't know Johan was a flyer himself...live and learn!

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

British767

Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:01 am

Partick,

Many thanks for the compliment!

I have been learning German since September 1999, and am doing it for my A-Level (Abitur) and plan to go on to university to study it. It's very challenging, but also fun.

Thanks again

Ben

IwantaBBJ

Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:44 am

Yes Ben, very well done.. I'm amazed!!!

..that's because you always do your homework, even at a.net-meetings!

Mike

JOSEMEX

Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:03 am

Patrick and Ben,

Thanks for the tanslation. And Ben, no need to apologise for anything: your German sure is a lot better than mine!  Wink/being sarcastic

jumbojim747

Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:30 am

Thanks Ben and Patrick for the translations .
Its great to learn about each other here in Anet no matter if you are the admin,crew, or members.we get the feeling that we know each other better.
On a wing and a prayer

MD80Nut

Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:42 am

Yes, thank you for translating the article into English. It's good to see Airliners.net getting some good publicity. Congratulations to Johan, the crew and all members for making this the best aviation site there is.

Cheers, Ralph
Fly Douglas Jets DC-8 / DC-9 / DC-10 / MD80 / MD11 / MD90 / 717

BA747-436

Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:31 pm

Thanks for the translation i was sitting on my sofa looking at the magazine and wondering.....now what the hell does that say by my photo! lol  Wink/being sarcastic

on a side note i am very impressed by Andreas Zeitler's photo.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I was also under the impression that the payment was $25 USD......in my envlope there was $125 lol....?
Dan Valentine - Bad Ass MOFO Photographer