airkas1
Crew

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:06 am

Laza wrote:
This seems to be fixed today! Great stuff, thanks...now the page is much more readable!

I'd say you're welcome, but thing is... I don't think the developers have worked on the site this week due to the holidays :scratchchin:
Airliners.net Crew - Head Photo Screener

Aircellist

Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:59 pm

Jon, Kas, thanks for your patience enduring with us. I've just read four months of this thread in a row !!!

It's been two seasons since the "new" site launch… I feel the "new" site is running much smoother, in all, than the old hard-to-reprogram one. Thanks to you and the developers for bringing back many bits of what made the "old" A.net a very… the french word is "convivial"… site; convivial, as in: one you like to live with… The old photo page format, the great emojis, the colour (although we did not have the december snowfall, but then, ok for this year)…

The ability to have much longer threads, which lead to regrouping of old threads, is fascinating. I realize that those multiple, successive threads, had something of a marker effect, which is lost in today's format.

I feel that makes the need for a reply number (and ability to jump to said number) in the quote all the more important. I miss the ability to read the source post in context of the discussion at that time.

I also, somehow, enjoy the bell and its stack of new posts in the upper right corner. However, I still feel it would be much more useful if it brought the reader to the first unread post in the referenced threads.

All my wishes for the new year to all: health, love, warmth, peace, fulfillment and a few dreams to realize.
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

winterlight

Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:55 am

From the front page: "Are black liveries "bad"?
Question everything. Trust no-one.

JohnKrist
Crew

Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:03 am

winterlight wrote:

?
Airliners.net Crew-Head Support
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

speedbored

Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:38 am

JohnKrist wrote:
winterlight wrote:

?

I think he means this:

JohnKrist
Crew

Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:01 pm

Ah, of course, sorry. Known error and on the list.
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

spencer32

Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:31 pm

My apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere in this thread... is the function where airport codes appear in plain English when the cursor is placed on them ever likely to come back?
Following threads where obscure rural and provincial airports are only referred to by code is difficult if you haven't got the patience to look each one up (although judging by some of the comments in the 'Shortest International Airline Flight' thread we should stop moaning and memorise them or go away).
Again, sorry if this has already been addressed,this thread is 49 pages long now and takes a lot of trawling through!

LCKip

Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:21 am

spencer32 wrote:
My apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere in this thread... is the function where airport codes appear in plain English when the cursor is placed on them ever likely to come back?
Following threads where obscure rural and provincial airports are only referred to by code is difficult if you haven't got the patience to look each one up (although judging by some of the comments in the 'Shortest International Airline Flight' thread we should stop moaning and memorise them or go away).
Again, sorry if this has already been addressed,this thread is 49 pages long now and takes a lot of trawling through!

I support this function in A.Net. I have read in forums that this function was available in the past but has been disabled. With me, more users have a problem in understanding airport codes while more experienced/professional users understand this jargon. So please try to get this on the list for development.

JohnKrist
Crew

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:08 am

regarding mouse over tooltips, they are on the list, and will be done if possible. No ETA on it though

FYODOR

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:58 pm

Front page contains 4 (!) links to Top photos of all time. Might could be less. ;)