Oykie
Topic Author

I get notification that I have won an Samsung S8 when I log into airliners.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:51 am

Does anyone else get a notification that they have won an Samsung Galaxy S8 when you enter Www.airliners.net?

It happens when I use my iPad.

When I reload the page it disappears. It does not happen on every visit, but it is annoying.
Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large, then go make that dream real - Donald Douglas

Oykie
Topic Author

Re: I get notification that I have won an Samsung S8 when I log into airliners.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:11 am

This is the URL that I am forwarded to from the main page of airliners.net. Can you do something about this?

https://dailytimesnewssite.com/news/cur ... o-2#!/back

I am afraid to click that link, but it comes from airliners.net.
Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large, then go make that dream real - Donald Douglas

hOMSaR

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:47 am

The latest trend in shady advertising is getting these browser-hijacking messages on mobile devices. Other forums have this issue too when I log in with my iOS devices (with similar issues reported for Android users).

If it gets to the point of becoming unusable, you may just have to go with an adblocker. Yes, it hurts the site for revenue, but if the site is going to be unusable, then...it is what it is.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:59 am

Oykie wrote:
This is the URL that I am forwarded to from the main page of airliners.net. Can you do something about this?

It doesn't come from airliners.net. It came from an ad unit placed in airliners.net - which if I recall correctly, the page has no control over what's being displayed. I mean right now for me at least all the ads I see are of flight promotions on Scoot & Malaysia Airlines, and that's only because I had browsed their website trying to research fares. I've never seen the ad that you posted.

I guess the airliners.net team can take it up with their ad provider to blacklist said ads.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

atcsundevil

Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:24 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Oykie wrote:

It doesn't come from airliners.net. It came from an ad unit placed in airliners.net - which if I recall correctly, the page has no control over what's being displayed. I mean right now for me at least all the ads I see are of flight promotions on Scoot & Malaysia Airlines, and that's only because I had browsed their website trying to research fares. I've never seen the ad that you posted.

I guess the airliners.net team can take it up with their ad provider to blacklist said ads.

I think VerticalScope was looking into this, but you're correct, we have no control over this. I don't even think VS has direct control over it, but we certainly don't have any. I would recommend an AdBlock extension of some kind, it might fix some of the issues (I have one and have never experienced anything like this).

Oykie
Topic Author

Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:56 am

Thank you for your replies. After I posted this URL, I have not seen this commercial again. But it was annoying. I believe as you reply that one of the ads had a hidden redirect. If you know of a good ad block extension for Safari on iPad, please let med know.

hOMSaR

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:10 pm

Oykie wrote:
Thank you for your replies. After I posted this URL, I have not seen this commercial again. But it was annoying. I believe as you reply that one of the ads had a hidden redirect. If you know of a good ad block extension for Safari on iPad, please let med know.

There's AdBlockPlus, which now has an app available for iOS devices. However, it got some mediocre ratings/feedback so I didn't go with it. Beware of another, similar-named one with really high star ratings because that appears to be a scam.

I wound up downloading "Ad Blocker" by Norton/Symantec. It's free, and appears to be working without issue for now.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.