SIA Censorship

Tue Aug 07, 2001 11:13 am

I flew on SIA recently and noticed something strange on the plane PTV programs. R rated movie scenes were cut and four-letter words “beeped”. Does SIA censor its programming, or did I push the "kids" button? If does then why?

Good Day

SIA_B777

RE: SIA Censorship

Tue Aug 07, 2001 11:21 am

think about it,

do parents regularly let their 5 year olds go watch rated R movies at the theater? why should it be any different on the plane?

anawat

Tue Aug 07, 2001 11:23 am

I believe that all airline do that not just SIA.

Studio makes "airlne" version for general flying public
on the plane.

Tue Aug 07, 2001 11:26 am

I'm not complaining about the censorship, to the contrary, I approve of it. But of all the airlines, I wouldn't expect SIA to take the lead, Saudia maybe. BA for sure does not "PG" modify their programming.

b744

Tue Aug 07, 2001 11:48 am

From my experience, most large international carriers censor programming on the 'big screen' in economy class and on economy class PTV's but programming on business class PTV's is left unchanged. I remember watching 'Striptease' once in J class on NZ with no editing  Wow!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Wed Aug 08, 2001 12:37 am

Actually, I flew on SQ 12 from NRT-LAX just last week and was quite surprised to hear the F-word UNCENSORED several times in the movie "The Mexican" and other movies on KrisWorld. There was also a movie or two (I forget the names) with uncensored nudity.

I am not saying I favor censorship per se, but admit I was very surprised as it was the first time I have ever seen in-flight movies that were not censored (any five-year old kid could have been playing around with the controller and watched the same things I happened to come across). Other airlines I have flown on like JL, NH, MH, TG, AI, UA, DL, NW, etc. all censored their movies.

36r

Wed Aug 08, 2001 1:23 am

I recently flew Air Canada YYZ-YVR and the movie's dialogue was edited to remove swearing. I always figured that was common practice, as with movies shown on TV during the daytime.

PIT_flyer007

Janet And The Full Monty

Wed Aug 08, 2001 11:46 am

SIA isn't the only Singapore industry that really censors their stuff: many albums from artists, like Janet Jacksons last two albums, were banned because of lyrics about battery and homosexuality. And when I saw "The Full Monty" back on KLM several years ago, it was censored. (the last scene where the guys on stage take it off)

spk

Wed Aug 08, 2001 12:18 pm

I believe it's the studios that make a version for airline use. In many cases, it's not just cutting off some scenes or beeping over f* words. Sometimes the movie is edited with different footage altogether. The airlinet can't do that.

One example I can remember is "Big Momma's House". In theatre there is a scene that shows Big Momma's bare buttock. In the airline version the scene is replaced and shows Big Momma in underwear. It's still gross, though.

Movies in C and F class are unedited.

SIA_B777

Wed Aug 08, 2001 12:31 pm

I heard that if there is an airplane crash scene or something like that they remove it.

FlyBoeing

Wed Aug 08, 2001 1:00 pm

I saw "The World Is Not Enough" on a CO flight EWR-SFO and noticed something very wrong about the film. I was thinking and thinking about it... then I realized that James Bond and Electra were supposed to have a big lavish James Bond style sex scene which had been totally edited out. It was uncanny how you missed a whole dimension of the film's plot since the movie was edited for CO Main Screen.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos