SIA Censorship

Tue Aug 07, 2001 11:13 am

I flew on SIA recently and noticed something strange on the plane PTV programs. R rated movie scenes were cut and four-letter words “beeped”. Does SIA censor its programming, or did I push the "kids" button? If does then why?

Good Day

SIA_B777

RE: SIA Censorship

Tue Aug 07, 2001 11:21 am

think about it,

do parents regularly let their 5 year olds go watch rated R movies at the theater? why should it be any different on the plane?

anawat

Tue Aug 07, 2001 11:23 am

I believe that all airline do that not just SIA.

Studio makes "airlne" version for general flying public
on the plane.

Tue Aug 07, 2001 11:26 am

I'm not complaining about the censorship, to the contrary, I approve of it. But of all the airlines, I wouldn't expect SIA to take the lead, Saudia maybe. BA for sure does not "PG" modify their programming.

b744

Tue Aug 07, 2001 11:48 am

From my experience, most large international carriers censor programming on the 'big screen' in economy class and on economy class PTV's but programming on business class PTV's is left unchanged. I remember watching 'Striptease' once in J class on NZ with no editing  Wow!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Wed Aug 08, 2001 12:37 am

Actually, I flew on SQ 12 from NRT-LAX just last week and was quite surprised to hear the F-word UNCENSORED several times in the movie "The Mexican" and other movies on KrisWorld. There was also a movie or two (I forget the names) with uncensored nudity.

I am not saying I favor censorship per se, but admit I was very surprised as it was the first time I have ever seen in-flight movies that were not censored (any five-year old kid could have been playing around with the controller and watched the same things I happened to come across). Other airlines I have flown on like JL, NH, MH, TG, AI, UA, DL, NW, etc. all censored their movies.

36r

Wed Aug 08, 2001 1:23 am

I recently flew Air Canada YYZ-YVR and the movie's dialogue was edited to remove swearing. I always figured that was common practice, as with movies shown on TV during the daytime.

PIT_flyer007

Janet And The Full Monty

Wed Aug 08, 2001 11:46 am

SIA isn't the only Singapore industry that really censors their stuff: many albums from artists, like Janet Jacksons last two albums, were banned because of lyrics about battery and homosexuality. And when I saw "The Full Monty" back on KLM several years ago, it was censored. (the last scene where the guys on stage take it off)

spk

Wed Aug 08, 2001 12:18 pm

I believe it's the studios that make a version for airline use. In many cases, it's not just cutting off some scenes or beeping over f* words. Sometimes the movie is edited with different footage altogether. The airlinet can't do that.

One example I can remember is "Big Momma's House". In theatre there is a scene that shows Big Momma's bare buttock. In the airline version the scene is replaced and shows Big Momma in underwear. It's still gross, though.

Movies in C and F class are unedited.

SIA_B777

Wed Aug 08, 2001 12:31 pm

I heard that if there is an airplane crash scene or something like that they remove it.

FlyBoeing

Wed Aug 08, 2001 1:00 pm

I saw "The World Is Not Enough" on a CO flight EWR-SFO and noticed something very wrong about the film. I was thinking and thinking about it... then I realized that James Bond and Electra were supposed to have a big lavish James Bond style sex scene which had been totally edited out. It was uncanny how you missed a whole dimension of the film's plot since the movie was edited for CO Main Screen.