jgardner

Best U.S. Hub Airport

Thu Aug 09, 2001 4:42 am

What is your favorite U.S. hub airport (even if you have not been to them all)?

I would say Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky

PVDFlier

RE: Best U.S. Hub Airport

Thu Aug 09, 2001 4:49 am

CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - hands down! The folks at Piedmont were very smart when they decided to place a hub at CLT. I understand it's an operational "piece of cake" for the folks at USAirways. PIT is a close second. I hope the two remain hubs for USAirways.

watewate

Thu Aug 09, 2001 4:50 am

You have to admire the way ATL manages to handle all those passengers. A true hub airport.

Pendrilsaint

Thu Aug 09, 2001 5:19 am

Hands Down , ATL....The busiest airport in the world handles the traffic quite well and is easily one of the most efficient airports in the world. Not to mention it is very well planned out and that Concourse E is just an awesome place=)

flyCMH

Thu Aug 09, 2001 5:21 am

I would have to go with Pittsburgh International Airport. The "X" design makes connecting at PIT very convenient, and the airport's SkyMall gives passengers an excellent variety of things to do while making their connection. The "E" gates where USAirways Express is located is also a quick tram ride away. I also noticed that air traffic control at PIT is extremely organized. If anyone were to actually step out of Delta's Terminal 3 at CVG, your opinion of the airport would change dramatically.

mfricke

Thu Aug 09, 2001 5:23 am

Denver International. Despite the problems at the get go, it is a beautiful airport, with great windows for aircraft viewing. Plus, most airlines (except WN) are well represented there, despite the dominance by United (and to a lesser extent, Frontier).
ONT - Southern California's Ontario!

SSTjumbo

Thu Aug 09, 2001 5:33 am

Not really a hub, but SNA.
I don't know, so this is my signature.

saxman66

Thu Aug 09, 2001 5:36 am

DFW all the way! With its 4 semi-circle terminals, it is a very simple layout. You can also park or drop-off right next to your gate, so you're able to dash straight to your gate in 3 minutes flat. Baggage claims are also right across from the gates, so no need to walk down a long concourse, fighting everyone else arriving to get to your bags.
Ride Amtrak!

Kubla

Thu Aug 09, 2001 5:44 am

As a hub airport, I have to agree with the masses and say PIT, followed by CVG and ATL.

DFW is good for O/D traffic, but connecting can be a royal pain with long, narrow concourses and no moving sidewalks or trams.

FlyCMH is right that terminals 1 and 2 (especially 2) really, really suck at CVG. Take away the view of Terminal 3 from either one, and you'd swear you were in CSG...

modesto2

Thu Aug 09, 2001 5:47 am

ATL is large, but I love how they separated the terminals so they're not all cluttered together. Granted, changing planes can be a half hour trip but overall, it's a great airport. I really enjoy the spaciousness of the terminals. ATL knew they had a fair amount of land and they used it!

Vctony

Thu Aug 09, 2001 6:11 am

I think that the best US hub is DTW, oops. I think DTW will be the best after January but for now I like DFW (gates are nice and close to one another, connections seem fairly easy, the trAAin.

dabomb4944

Thu Aug 09, 2001 7:05 am

CLT or PIT

Thu Aug 09, 2001 7:28 am

PHX or BWI

che

Thu Aug 09, 2001 11:52 am

My vote goes to DFW. A good number of flights to many destinations. The airport is quickly and easily navigated,even for a first timer. There are also many shops and good eats. Also from what I've experienced delays are really kept to a minimum even though its a busy airport.
che

captainAD

Thu Aug 09, 2001 12:03 pm

DTW after January!!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

pgh234

Thu Aug 09, 2001 12:17 pm

PIT is the best without a doubt! I cant find a single fault with it. CLT and MSP are also pretty good places to connect.

pgh234

DeltaBoy777

Thu Aug 09, 2001 12:26 pm

DFW all the way!! Other people have said it too. They can land three planes and send-off 4 planes at the same time!!! SLC and CVG are nice too!!
Thanks and Gig Em!

airlinelover

Thu Aug 09, 2001 12:49 pm

DTW- At least after the mid-field treminal opens in Jan..

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

Hole_Courtney

Thu Aug 09, 2001 12:52 pm

Definitely DFW.

A true airport with lots of space to expand. They already have seven runways with an additional one planned.

It was room for at least 2 more full size terminals with additional land for plenty more. and when the monorail gets done, connections will be easier than ever.

Also, A great spotting area at founders plaza. Now with the 7th runway, planes that land there taxi right past the viewing area.

live forever and stay beautiful
hole_courtney
"[He] knew everything about literature, except how to enjoy it." - Yossarian, Catch 22

ATL Sucks

Thu Aug 09, 2001 2:57 pm

I cannot stand ATL. It is not "user-friendly" at all! I like CVG much better. Although I am not impressed by Comair in CVG...the set up is poor...too much chaos in one boarding room and one can barely hear the announcements to board, etc...was on standby and nearly missed because i couldn't hear the gate agent announce my name!

srbmod

Thu Aug 09, 2001 3:15 pm

ATL is the best (and I'm not saying because I live in Atlanta either) hub airport. The setup of the concourses was a very new idea in the late 70s (satellite councourses and one long terminal building were the common designs during this time). Many architectural books on airports give ATL high marks on the concept of spacing the concourses out and lining them in a row. This setup allows more gates and more flights than they previous setup at ATL (which was a fairly young set up built in the 1960s). Sure, you may have considerable connection times (especially if you're coming off a domestic flight that goes into "E" and you're connecting flight is on "T"), but the tram system (which was another fairly new concept used at ATL when the current terminal and concourses opened up) speeds up connection times. Unfortunately, ATL was never designed to be a commuter airport. Which explains the almost haphazard setup ASA has on 'C'. The needs of commuter flights is being addressed in the future expansion projects at ATL. A new southside terminal is being targeted for use by ASA (especially since the new runway was orginally designed to be a commuter runway. If Atlanta had not hosted the 1996 Olympics, the current International concourse probably would not have been built until the late 1990s instead of the mid-90s. But eventually, Councourse E will be maxed out on gates (they just added 4 more gates at the north and south ends of the concourses), so some international flights may have to be shifted to earlier or later time slots. If you go by "E" at around 4:00 in the afternoon, nearly every single gate is occupied by flights and between 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. is the busiest time at ATL involving international flights. The funniest thing to see is an ASA CRJ lined up alongside a LH A340, a KLM 767 and a Delta 777 and a MD-11.

Dasa

Thu Aug 09, 2001 6:17 pm

JFK Rules!!!!
although JFK is not a true hub airport, unless you count JetBlue, i loveee that airport....
It has a lot of character and is just so interesting in the different traffic it recieves. And now witht he new T4 and other projects underway, the airport is better than ever!!!

deltairlines

Thu Aug 09, 2001 10:47 pm

ATL is the best US hub, but overall, the best hub is British Airways' at LHR.

Jeff

SESGDL

Fri Aug 10, 2001 1:03 am

Atlanta and MSP!!!!!!

DCA-ROCguy

Fri Aug 10, 2001 1:28 am

Pittsburgh is my favorite hub airport. It has a great terminal layout that makes it easy to use. PIT also has widely-spaced parallel runways and is not congested.

PIT's concrete terminal is dark and bland, and it's not the best spotting airport. But it sure gets the job done well.

I've heard that CVG is a very good hub airport too. But I've only flown non-Delta carriers into the old slum section on O & D flights, so I haven't tried it as a hub.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

cba

Fri Aug 10, 2001 2:01 am

IAH, ATL, DTW.

Fri Aug 10, 2001 2:03 am

Memphis

Houston Intercontinental (F%^@# DFW!!)

Phoenix

Pittsburgh

KCLE

Fri Aug 10, 2001 2:07 am

CLE, and not just because i live in Cleveland either. There are no trams to take, no driving 10 miles to find your terminal, there is just one main location for Arrivals and Departures that is split-leveled. CLE is spotter and user-friendly, with only one terminal split into 4 concourses. A, includes our two international gates, AA, USAirways, TWA, and MidEx. B, includes UA, DL, and WN. C, includes the hub carrier, CO, and NW. D, which is seperate, but connected by a underground walkway, is hub for CoEx. There is an outdoor spectator deck, as well as an indoor portion. All of the gates are close together, for easy access. Now, the only drawback is that aircraft cannot simultaneously take-off and land, so one runway has to be used for landing, usually the longer one, since it has ILS on both ends, and take-off's are on the shorter runway, only when no aircraft are landing, so there usually is a long wait.

HyperMike

Fri Aug 10, 2001 2:14 am

For those of you who've mentioned DFW, have you ever had to make a connection where you switched carriers? It's downright nasty.

I flew US PHL-DFW, and AA DFW-SFO. UGLY!

airlinelover

Fri Aug 10, 2001 2:46 am

Drawback about CLE- I was going FNT-CLE-TPA in '00, and had to RUN, yes, RUN from the end of D concourse through the tunnel to the OTHER end of C concourse, in the process severly screwing up my leg. When your connecting flight is late getting in, HAVE FUN!

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

jgardner

Mon Aug 13, 2001 1:12 pm

Things I don't like about DFW:

1. too far from Dallas...Love is easier, but you have to be in accordance with the Wright Ammendment
2. It takes longer to taxi from the runway to the terminal than it does to fly from Chicago to Dallas (exageration, but it does seem like a long time);

I really like CVG if you using it as a hub particularly with Delta, but I am not a huge fan of Comair. Aside from CVG, I would have to say CLT.

jahckass

Mon Aug 13, 2001 6:00 pm

CLT is a very nice airport aslong as you dont have to connect on USAirways express, that part somehow got left out of rennovations.
But the main terminal has ROCKING CHAIRS in place of the standard benches.

762er

PIT Is The Best, DFW Is Worst

Mon Aug 13, 2001 11:28 pm

Enough has been said about PIT. It is undoubtedly #1 in terms of convenience comfort and ease. All of my experiences at DFW have been awful. The last connection I made at DFW required two bus rides and a train ride. It took me almost an hour to get to my connecting gate. What a pain in the ass. It's ok if your flying American the whole way.

miller22

Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:01 am

CVG and PIT are the best and easiest hubs in the country, although CLT is quite good too. DFW is the absolute worst hub. The terminal setup for DFW is entirely geared towards O/D traffic. It has a straight terminal design which was developed with good intentions well before hub and spoke was ever thought of. After taking classes on airport design, it becomes apparent that AA has the worst hubs. I arrived in DFW yesterday and had no choice but to follow the terminal all the way around to the next gate. The convenience of the TRAAIN is an illusion unless you are staying in DFW. The runway setup is wonderful, but they can bring in as much planes as they want, but they'll be sitting at the gate much longer waiting for the passengers to make it. Every airport layout class I've taken has used DFW as an example of the worst hub in the world. AA's section of ORD is a little better, but still needs a lot of work. The "Finger" terminals of Terminals K, G and H are all fine for hub traffic if you are hubbing within those terminals. It completely defeats its purpose as a hub airport if you are connecting between terminals. United has the right idea with the island terminal at ORD. After DFW and AA's section of ORD, I would say STL is right in there. Since AA bought TWA you have to wonder if they have a love affair with horrible hubs.
PIT and CVG have about the two newest hub terminals and therefore deserve the most credit. ATL is setup as a true hub airport with the island terminals, however its just becoming too big.

doug

Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:17 am

DFW is the best

Pilothica737

Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:29 am

ATL all the way baby!! I've only conected there 2 times, but I love it. It was well planed, and very organized. I love riding the little train thingie to waste time. The only problem is that when you;re new to the airport it can get really confusing to go from A, B, C, D, E and then T concourse. That messed me up! But Im a huge fan of Delta as my mentor flies for Delta. I also enjoy a/c spotting so with ATl being the buisiest airport, it always makes the wait worthwhile

Jacqueline

mlsrar

Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:49 am

Apparently, No one has ever flown through MKE on Midwest Express. Their new 'D' concourse is fantastic...somewhat lacking in shopping opportunities unless you're interested in the acquisition of a foam wedge of cheese (which consequently saved a Cessna pilot in Northwern Wis>), but otherwise a fantastic concourse with a great view of 19R and 24L for approaches.

MSP is also nice--Wok and Roll is hands-down the best airport concession to have been created.
I mean, for the right price I’ll fight a lion. - Mike Tyson

AF007

Tue Aug 14, 2001 1:32 am

CDG is the best in the world  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

ORD is best in US.

Shawn Patrick

Tue Aug 14, 2001 3:57 am

DEN

GunFighter 6

Tue Aug 14, 2001 4:02 am

Oh Dallas you are everything lalalala  Big thumbs up

Well you get it  Smile DFW is the best their is.
its so impressive driving there, and taking off  Smile
woohoo.

Logan isn;t that bad either  Smile

heavymetal

Tue Aug 14, 2001 4:05 am

DFW.....the counters/gates are a stone's throw from the curb, and ample parking is just the other side of the street. You retrieve your bags only steps from where you deplaned. And native Texans are polite and accomodating.

But....DFW is a MESS during thunderstorms!!! (Not that any other hub isn't.).......though having listened alot to DFW ATC, I give credit to those controllers. They're no nonsense and do not take chances. One only has to look over at the two remaining water tanks at the far end of the field to remember why.

phxairfan

Tue Aug 14, 2001 4:21 am

PHX and ATL. PHX, because if you are connecting on America West or Southwest, you dont ever have to switch terminals, just concourses. Very similar to the set up at SLC, which is also nice. Also PHX has plenty of parking, at least after they finish the new garage levels. Also good layout, and plenty of places for good food.

ATL, because it is so easy to navigate, get on the train and go to your terminal. There are drawbacks, terminals are very long, it takes 10 min to get from one end to the middle so you can switch terminals. Also it can get interesting, when you connecting flight lands 8 min before your next flight is supossed to leave. Good excersise though.

blink182

Tue Aug 14, 2001 5:18 am

I like ORD as the AA terminal isn't super spreat out like DFW and If you have ever gone into the admirals club(the older one) you can see how quickly AA turns around it's 737s,md-80s,and f-100s. Also if you are traveling international and are on a tight connection, the international gates are right there.
If you are traveling from an international to domestic flight, leave a little time. The process went fast only because we had an early flight and when we got there, there were only 3 planes(excluding ours) at the international terminal, and all of their pax had long since left the international terminal. The airport train I thought went very slow. If you leave some time between your international flight and your domestic flight, you should be fine.

LHR isn't that bad. I had to go from terminal 3 to terminal 1(i think) and to my surprise, it didn't take that long to connect from AA to BA. LHR needs to get a monorail system instead of the buses, thats my opinion.

I have never connected at DFW, but just by looking and so far how it sounds, connecting has got to be the worst. I hope the final terminal at DFW(when it gets built in 2025 or something, this is not the international terminal under construction) turns out to be a midfield, but i'd really doubt it.

I think changing terminalsat LGW is pretty bad, I have experienced it and it isn't pretty either.

rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

miller22

Tue Aug 14, 2001 7:18 am

Everyone who has said DFW is the best is because they like how close the checkin counters are to the gates and how easy it is to get to from the road. That is not hub, thats Originating/Destination traffic. Not a hub. DFW IS the worst hub in the states. I'll accept arguments from STL though  Smile

L.1011

Tue Aug 14, 2001 7:43 am

Atlanta-Hartsfield!!!!!!!!!!!

Big grin Big grin

NWA ARJ

Tue Aug 14, 2001 11:15 am

I would have to say Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) It is just beautiful seeing all of the lovely Northwest Planes there.
Nightmare 68, Fargo Tower, Runway 36, Fly Runway Heading, Mantain 10,000, Cleared For Takeoff, Change To Departure

Tue Aug 14, 2001 3:53 pm

I would have to say MSP. I think it won an award for the most passenger friendly airport.

SM92

Mem?

Tue Aug 14, 2001 10:39 pm

I think Memphis International has a good on-time record. What do you think?

dfw-man

Wed Aug 15, 2001 2:15 am

DFW is a good hub for connecting if you are flying on AA or DL.The people that say DFW is the worst have never tried IAH CO's hub and NW at DTW or UA's LAX hub.Those get my vote for the worst.AA and AE cranks out nearly 800 departures daily with consistent ease.

vincent32

Wed Aug 15, 2001 2:29 am

I've been through PIT the most, and it is still my favorite. A close second though would be ATL.
 Smile/happy/getting dizzy
"If it was cool to be a fool, I'd be the hippest guy around"