Alee
Topic Author

Heat And Take Off Relation

Fri Aug 10, 2001 2:56 pm

Why can't plane take off on a very hot day..Let's say 100 and above...

RE: Heat And Take Off Relation

Fri Aug 10, 2001 3:05 pm

Some airplanes can take-off in 100 and above. Take Las Vegas for example.

gerardo

Fri Aug 10, 2001 4:57 pm

Somebody correct me, if i'm wrong, but I think, this has to do with the fact, that hot air has less oxygene than cold air (basic physics). Is that right?

Gerardo
dominguez(dash)online(dot)ch ... Pushing the limits of my equipment

DC8-63

Fri Aug 10, 2001 5:39 pm

i think it's because density of air is not so high and there's less oxygen so the engines don't work as efficient as they do at low temperatures.
I've often heard of "hot and high" conditions, oxygen and density asre lower the higher one gets.

modesto2

Fri Aug 10, 2001 11:14 pm

Hot air lacks the same density as colder air. Thus, less air travels past the wings. If less air travels past the wings, then there is a lack of lift. To compensate for this deficiency, aircraft need to move faster to achieve the same lift. That's the short version of the story...

jwenting

Fri Aug 10, 2001 11:24 pm

lift is the major factor. Oxygen deprivation of the engines might occur at really extreme temps, but is unlikely to have much of an effect (though the somewhat lower thrust may be a factor in borderline situations).
I wish I were flying

AlaskaMVP

Sat Aug 11, 2001 7:10 am

I was in Vegas in early July, and it was very hot (106). The flight from PHX to LVS was very fun (not) as the America West pilots kept the stewardesses strapped in due to the turbulence from the air layers and some thunderheads (I really, really needed a triple vodka tonic on that flight).

While I was in vegas the next day, a cab driver told me the temperature hit 120 at the airport, and they were forced to close it for few hours. This seemed strange to me (since we had been taking off and landing at close to 110). I can understand this at a high altitude airport (Denver) at hot temperatures, but LVS is pretty low altitude. I think the Cab driver was wrong, but does anyone know if it ever gets so hot at LVS that they would close to all flights?

Beefmoney

Sat Aug 11, 2001 10:06 am

A few years ago, I believe, here in PHX they closed down the airport for the afternoon bucause it was 120+. Its been a pretty cool summer here so far. Its usually only about 110 or so during the afternoon.

Michael Hawkins

Red Panda

Sat Aug 11, 2001 3:25 pm

that affects the lift (wing) and thrust (engine). The compressor needs to compress the air into the combustion chamber to burn the fuel.
If the air density is too low, the engines won't be as powerful as in cool weather.

r panda

Notar520AC

Mon Aug 13, 2001 3:07 am

Living in Phoenix I have to add my share. PHX is probably one of the hottest places in the US that an airplane could serve. We get well over 100 degrees, up to 120 rarely. Commercial jetliners are only certified to take off in under 120 degree conditions due to the thickness of the air. In winter since the air is colder it is more dense than hot air, so if we hit 120+ our airport gets shut down as a safety regulation. Since the air is so thin in hot weather, the airplanes have trouble climbing and could stall if the conditions are right. A few years ago we did have to shut down the airport, and being the busiest 2 runway airport in the US at that time you can imagine what a mess that caused!

-Notar520AC
BMW - The Ultimate Driving Machine

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos