Topic Author

Do You Dream About Airliners?

Fri Aug 10, 2001 10:11 pm

Since this is the place where aviation fans meet I will ask all of you a simple question -
Do you dream about airplanes?
if so tell us how often, what was your weirderst dream etc...
I have such dreams from time to time - although I can not rember most of my dreams those which I can usually involve many unusual airlineres landing at my airport - existing and non-existing.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward...

RE: Do You Dream About Airliners?

Fri Aug 10, 2001 10:18 pm

I've often had dreams about flying in various aircraft. I don't know if they are recurrences of flights I've already taken, though. I have vivid dreams about conversing with other passengers, looking out the window, etc. Scarier dreams have included being in a crash. They aren't like nightmares, though, just strange, because something weird will happen, like one of the wings separates from the plane, and it doesn't actually fall to the ground, but rather glides or gets caught in trees. Weird, eh?

Sat Aug 11, 2001 12:07 am

Just last week I dreamed that my long-awaited first flight on Air Canada was about to happen. Don't even remember the route that I would be flying in my dream, but the eqp was to be A320.

As in many dreams, in spite of knowing how to get to the departure airport and allowing plenty of time to arrive early for check-in, I was hopelessly "busy at going nowhere" as I made my way to the airport.

Once at the airport, I encountered yet another confusing maze as I made my way to the gate. When I arrived at the gate, I immediately headed down the jetway to board. As I was about two steps from the aircraft door I saw, through windows at the end of the jetway, that the AC 320 - in the two red stripe livery of the late '80s to early '90s - was beginning to push back.

Even in my dreams, my first flight on Air Canada never happened  Sad

Sat Aug 11, 2001 12:18 am

I'm now in my late 30s, and I've been having airline dreams for 20 years!! Most have taken place at my home airport - San Antonio and involve new services or a fantastic array of aircraft.

Sat Aug 11, 2001 12:50 am

Hi Tomislav!

How often do you see this one in your dreams?

9A-CRO (at SZG / LOWS)

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Edwin Olinowetz

Sat Aug 11, 2001 12:55 am

The crash dreams are pretty nasty, like seeing a big jet suddenly nosedive over the city. Fortunately pretty rare but still, bad enough.

The talking-with-people-in-an-airport-or-airplane-setting ones are much preferable. Even if sometimes unfortunately also harder to remember afterwards.

Sat Aug 11, 2001 1:13 am

The one airliner dream that I can remember was a dream in which the plane ran off the runway on landing. I remember talking to people throughout the flight, although I don't remember what about, and as we were landing we just kept speeding along the runway, hardly slowing at all. Before we ran off of the runway I told my Dad that we were running off of the runway, and everyone went into the EMG landing position. I was just waiting for the plane to strike an electrical utility or a gas tank. Suddenly we struck a gas tank and the plane blew up. All of a sudden the whole sequence of events started over and the plane was again running off of the runway. This time, however, the plane stopped and we jumped off and ran to safety. As usual, what you are thinking about in a dream usually happens, and as I jumped off of the aircraft I heard the pilot say "smelling fuel". This prompted me to run as far away from the plane as possible...and just as I was thinking about a fire the plane was engulfed in flames. Oh well, we all lived. (I think  Big grin Pretty interesting, I don't remember being scared at all.

Sat Aug 11, 2001 1:56 am

Just two days ago I had a dream that I was sitting on my porch and a Northwest 727 flew over and exploded, RIGHT OVER MY HOUSE!!!!!! That was freaky!

Sat Aug 11, 2001 2:03 am

I once had a nightmare I was looking out the window on the 10th floor of the hotel I work at to see an AirBC Dash 8 flip over and plow into some near by houses. It was pretty scary!!

Sat Aug 11, 2001 2:05 am

A few weeks ago, I dreamed that I was on a a TWA DC-9 flight, and we landed at the wrong airport(sound familiar?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy ), then we didn't have any APU or ground power so we couldn't take off.

Sat Aug 11, 2001 5:09 am

I sleep with my scanner next to the bed. I sometimes wake up wondering if it was a dream that an aircraft flew in to my airport. Most of the time, even though I am asleep, I can also see this plane landing, especially if I know what it is. More than 50% of the time, the aircraft did fly in. Rather interesting that your mind can do this while your asleep.

Sat Aug 11, 2001 5:19 am

I dreamed that I was flying on a CO 744. Seriously.

Sat Aug 11, 2001 5:21 am

Rarely, but when I do it is usually a dream that I missed my flight or that it's my dream flight or something. I don't think I dream very often.

Sat Aug 11, 2001 9:16 am

The most recent dream I had involved a Delta MD-88 that just nose-dived after flying really low. I do not know what happened, but I could see some fire and a little smoke. The amazing thing is that only five people were killed and the rest of the people were just standing there, unhurt, as if nothing even happened. Very weird, to say the least.

I have also had lots of dreams that I have missed my flights. I had a dream once where I was landing an aircraft, and did it without any problems, and no, I am not a pilot.

Sat Aug 11, 2001 11:12 am

I dream about my dream aircraft- a 747-400 and A380 self designed by ME!

BMW - The Ultimate Driving Machine

Sat Aug 11, 2001 11:27 am

I dream about concordes on average, oh, about one a month or so, along with other aircraft that i am on/piloting.
Samurai 777

Sat Aug 11, 2001 12:32 pm

I've had dreams about plane crashes. Fortunately, they are rare, but they were vivid. The one I remember most vividly was being on an outdoor observation deck, only to see a 767 turn with its starboard wing almost directly towards the ground and hurtling towards me with a nasty, loud drone like that of an approaching missile.

Most of my airplane dreams are more pleasant than that. I've seen airports that do not exist in real life and airliners such as 744s and MD-11s in really interesting color schemes, sometimes even strange and weird ones.

Sat Aug 11, 2001 2:20 pm

I had a dream once that I boarded a NWA 757 at Tokyo, except the jetway was in the middle of the street! NO AIRPORT! LOL!

Sat Aug 11, 2001 2:30 pm

I dont know what is more crazy, a NW 757 in Tokyo or a jetway in the street! Well, at least there is a 1% chance that there could be a Northwest 757 at Tokyo. Thats more of a chance than seeing a jetway in the streets of Tok..... I mean, any city. Thats a good dream.

Smile/happy/getting dizzy

RE: My Frustration...!

Sat Aug 11, 2001 2:41 pm

Weird, nice and original question...

I had like 5 times in my life just 2 types of dreams when it comes to airplane stuff...

1. I board a plane... I am leaving for "X" destination, and when the plane is on the runway it never takes off... It never flies! So I reach my "X" destination just by getting there by the plane in the higway.

2. I am in the airport... Then I am in the gate... But I never reach the plane because I was late or I forgot my passport or just a stupid thing and I never get to see the plane.

Instead of dreams those are nightmares!

Joaquín  Smile
Mexico City

P.S. Quite frustrating dreams if you are an airliners fan...

Yo soy yo más mis circunstancias - J. Ortega y Gasset

Sat Aug 11, 2001 2:51 pm

The last time I had a dream concerning Airliners it was a pleasant dream, that I was spotting at SJU . I remember seeing a great deal of AA's (it was a very relaxing dream).
Puerto Rico
Fly the Flag!!!!

Sun Aug 12, 2001 4:37 pm

I had a dream that I flew on a 727-200 with the most awesome looking hushkit ever. Behind all the engines were pipes that were extended about sixty feet and then curved downward.

In my dream I was actually thinking that it would be louder and I was trying to figure out how they avoid tailscrapes.

Sun Aug 12, 2001 5:49 pm

How's this for a dream flight?

Atlanta to Paris on Delta, aboard a brand-new aircraft which became the largest in the world, surpassing even the A380 (by many times, in fact!)
Picture this: A 3-aisle airliner, double-decker, long-range airliner, configured on the main deck first class in 2-2-2-2 (6 rows, plus the triangular section at the front), main deck coach 3-5-5-3 (77 rows), upper deck first class 1-2-2-1 (12 rows), and upper deck coach 2-4-4-2 (55 rows).
My seat was 25C, which was the 5th row of coach on the main deck, the aisle seat of the section of three on the left side. (that's when I figured out that it was a dream-- I always get a window seat!  Smile) The total seating capacity for this aircraft wsa 2055 (two class), and the flight was completely full. Too bad this aircraft will never exist because of size limitations at airports.

-Jeffrey Stricker