WhalePilot
Topic Author

Inflight Flight Deck Visits Should Be Banned

Tue Aug 14, 2001 8:33 am

Comments on banning inflight flight deck visits?

RE: Inflight Flight Deck Visits Should Be Banned

Tue Aug 14, 2001 8:37 am

Definatly. Children too. Too easy for them to do something. Try telling a 5 year old not to pull the big lever. Although not disasterous, pulling the speed brake handle at altitude wouldn't do much good. You've also got the security risk. More than once, people have tried to take control after flight deck visits.

cmsgop

Tue Aug 14, 2001 8:38 am

Did you have a unpleasent experience or something?

I see the Safety Issue, but do you know how many Little Kids who got to visit.....Went on to be Pilot's??????????

Tue Aug 14, 2001 8:40 am

Fair enough, but i'm a 777 f/o and i've had a kid reach for the throttles before. Although, I suppose it doesn't happen too much, safety and security are paramount in this business.

cmsgop

Tue Aug 14, 2001 8:48 am

I completly agree with you. I would say always have a F/A with the Guest at all times,and limit viewing to 3 min. Good Compromise?....:*)

Tue Aug 14, 2001 8:51 am

Hmmm, well the f/as are more unruly than the children!  Smile Nah, just kidding. We luv F/As! Keep bringing the coffee!

boeing 747-311

Tue Aug 14, 2001 8:52 am

This could become a safety controversity!
Come fly with US

cmsgop

Tue Aug 14, 2001 8:53 am

BTW! I really want a ride on a 777!!!!!..LOL! You worked hard for your job and I respect that.

Tue Aug 14, 2001 8:55 am

Yay! Respect! Finally! Thank you, sir/ma'am. And the 777 *is* a great aircraft. Which is why i don't want no 5 year old fu**ing it up.  Smile Smile Smile Smile

cmsgop

Tue Aug 14, 2001 8:56 am

Yes it could be Boeing.....LOL!

pilottim747

Tue Aug 14, 2001 8:56 am

I understand the safety concern about having children in the cockpit during the flight but I think there is a bigger concern.

In todays world there are too many dangers from terrorism and hijackings. Why else does the FAA impose so many security precautions? For me I get scared at the thought of any random civilian going up into the cockpit of a flying plane. Granted there is a miniscule chance of a hijacking but it could happen.
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

cmsgop

Tue Aug 14, 2001 8:59 am

Safty is Paramount.......So how else to do it
.....Pelxi-glass cockpit?????

ryu2

Tue Aug 14, 2001 9:06 am

DTA, you are a 777 f/o at the age of 21-25? And you had a kid visit the cockpit in the United States, where such visits are already forbidden? (I assume you work for a US airline, from your profile?)

Tue Aug 14, 2001 9:09 am

In the U.S. cockpit visits are banned, but not when you are at the gate. I flew a DL722 from SAN-SLC last summer, and had the opportunity to visit the flight deck while we were still parked at the gate and pax were boarding, also had a chance to chat with the pilots about how they got their jobs, my goal of becoming a pilot, ops of the 727 etc. :d

It was a great visit that I will remember for a long time, last all of 5-7 minutes but it was worth it.

Should be allowed in certain instances. There is the risk of hijacking and/or pax playing with controls, however, this is only really dangerous when the plane is actually in the air, taxiing, or on T/O/Landing roll.

Therefore I think the compromise should be that pax are only allowed to visit the flight deck briefly while the aircraft is at the gate, either after or before the flight, preferably after.

That way, there is alot less of a safety concern!! Big grin

Now if they banned visits on the ground it would be terrible. I thoroughly enjoyed speaking to the pilots before and after the flight and would love to still have the opportunity to do that again!

Aloha 737-200!!  Wink/being sarcastic

gocaps16

Tue Aug 14, 2001 9:13 am

"Fair enough, but i'm a 777 f/o and i've had a kid reach for the throttles before."
------------------------------------------------------
DTA, I have a question. Did this "kid" who reached for the throttles was during in-flight?
I've been on many airplanes and usually the captain lets me (I'm 17 and a pilot) spool up the throttles while the plane was on the ground and the engines were off. With permission, of course. No problem with that.

you sound fake because you live in the USA and the FAA doesn't allow in-flight cockpit visits on any US registered aircraft. And you're really young at age 21-25?
What's your name and your REAL occupation?

Kevin/DCA

gocaps16

Tue Aug 14, 2001 9:19 am

Aloha, I've been in the cockpit chatting with the pilots during boarding for 20 minutes. On a US Shuttle A320 flight, the captain invited me to stay and watch them perform checklist and receive their IFR clearance and such. But they told me to take my seat when the plane was ready to push.
Kevin/DCA

XFSUgimpLB41X

Tue Aug 14, 2001 9:40 am

There's some people on here taht are fudging.

In US part 121 airlines are not allowed to have visitors in the cockpit when the engines are running. You can go up there when the plane is on the ground and parked at the gate, but that is it. And seeing as a 777 FO is a decently high seniority position.. i dont see how it is possible for someone 21-25 to be one. Most people arent even out of the minors or out of the few remaining SO positions in the majors when they are 25. Not to mention when someone pulls the throttles during cruise on something like hte 777.. it will cause the plane to lurch a tad, but the autothrottles bring them straight back up.. in the 777 it may take quite the yank too to get it back w/ the autothrottles on.. more than a kid could go for.
Chicks dig winglets.

ren41

Tue Aug 14, 2001 9:43 am

When I was really young I got to visit the cockpit and I sat on the f/o's lap and I didn't f**k up the plane!!

BTW-When did the law come in affect??

-R-e-n-4-1-

gocaps16

Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:32 pm

Well, I doubt that DTA dude isn't gonna respond. woooord. I would like to see his face right now, heheehe.

Kevin/DCA

ryu2

Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:39 pm

I think DTA is the same person Timobear (anyone remember him?).

jwenting

Tue Aug 14, 2001 1:07 pm

Make the person sign a statement in blood that (s)he won't touch anything. If the person is underage, make a parent sign and be there at all times.
Either that or put a glass screen between the flightcrew and the rest of the plane for people to stand behind...

I agree that there is a security risk, you never know who might have smuggled a gun or bomb past security and wants to hijack the plane.
But there is also PR to consider. As stated, flightdeckvisits may get people to consider a carreer in aviation, and can thus be a valuable and free recruiting aid. They also help remind the crew that those are real people, and not senseless animals or bags of meat in the main cabin (as some airlines seem to treat their passengers).
I wish I were flying

Air NZ

Tue Aug 14, 2001 1:38 pm

I think there should at least be an age limit, or little kids have to be with a responsible parent. I was in Australia, Canberra to Sydney once on a Kendell Saab 340, I went into the flight deckand got to land into Sydney, they asked me my age which was 14 at the time, and I think that was the limit for someone being in the jump seat, though I had said I was learning to fly.

Though we do like to go to the deck, there should be some rule which gives restricted access, because it is still in some ailines easy to get in there.

Matt

Tue Aug 14, 2001 1:51 pm

Personally, while flying for 3 years for an Asian carrier, and having an open cockpit policy, loved visits on the TriStar flight deck, broke up the monotony of all nighters. Kids were a treat, they really loved the experience, and even though we were vigilant, no one ever even came close to touching anything, and I am talking young kids from all parts of the world. Not to mention the cute blonde Aussie one night from Bali to Melbourne.... mmmmmmmmm!
Anyway, flying for Delta now, this is all in the past, but I fonldly miss those cockpit visits. Nothing wrong in my book!
T.A.

Mr.BA

Tue Aug 14, 2001 3:03 pm

I agree too there will be some risk. But I guess it will really be a great and happy experience for those who really love flying and wanting to get a feel how is it up front.

alvin
Boeing747 万岁!

OH-LZA

Tue Aug 14, 2001 5:53 pm

I've been in the cockpit on Finnair and Britannia (Nordic) and i've never even thought about pulling anything!

Zulu Alpha

jwenting

Tue Aug 14, 2001 6:06 pm

LZA I think most people here know those buttons are looky only unless you carry a white shirt with gold braid on the shoulders and a large cap with the airline logo embroidered in gold  Smile
Sadly there are a lot of kids with no sense of responsibility or property who have not been taught that you should not touch things without permission.
I wish I were flying

sdate747

Tue Aug 14, 2001 9:32 pm

GoCaps16 -

I have to agree with you. If you look at DTA's other posts they are very general in nature - he rides in Virgin Atlantic 747s helping FA's get emergency hatches open. Everybody dreams of becoming a pilot, but few pretend, because we all know it is a difficult profession that deserves our utmost respect. BTW - you must be a Washington Capitals fan, if you live in the area, do you ever go spotting at DCA or IAD? I have tried, unsuccessfully.  Sleepy

Olympic A-340

Tue Aug 14, 2001 9:36 pm

Well, this summer I was fortunate to go into the VS A-321 from ATH-LGW. First impression-Small. I was accompanied by the pursor, but I know that if there was some heavy-all-of-a-sudden turbulence the chances of me hitting some circuit breaker or something were pretty high. As much as I enjoyed the experience of seeing the Alps at 34,000 feet, I couldn't help thinking what if I hit something when I turned around lol.

Tue Aug 14, 2001 10:27 pm

No one can say with authority that someone on this board is an imposter. Some people don't pay much attention to setting up their profile before posting. Mine was grossly incorrect for a long time before one day I went and checked it. It had that I was a 15 year old. (I’m 31)

Anyway, DTA may or may not be 777 f.o. but his old posts have been fairly consistent. He claims to be a BA777 f.o. which would explain why a kid was in the cockpit. His profile may be incorrect. He may be a 45 year old from Great Britain.

When I first read his post and saw his profile, I thought he was an imposter, but after reading through the old post, he seems to have some credibility.

Just a thought before everyone assassinates him.

Staying on topic.. I hope Cathay Pacific keeps its open cockpit policy. I’m flying them in October and I hope to get a cockpit visit on finals into HKG!!

AC_A340

Wed Aug 15, 2001 12:08 am

I love those visits in flight. Ii ask everytime I'm aboard Air Canada. I think that if you have a PPL at least you should be allowed in at any time (pilot's discretion of course).

jgardiner

Wed Aug 15, 2001 12:44 am

I have always enjoyed cockpit visits on many airlines. With the obvious exception of the FAA I believe it should be left up to the airline or individual pilot. If you don't like the idea then refuse the request, but don't make it a blanket policy. Why spoil it for the rest of us just because of one bad apple?

turbulence

Wed Aug 15, 2001 1:41 am

I am firmly in favour of flight deck visits. I've been in Iberia and Olympic, for unaccountable landings and also for two T/Os. Even once, flying OA 247 ATH-MAD-BCN I was there for over 1 hour, landed in MAD, been there from the very beginning, push back, etc, took off from MAD, done the whole flight on the jumpseat, and landed in BCN. My seat did not see me. I do not mean everybody doing the same, but a 10-20 mins. visit is absolutely harmless, unless the person is too "expressive", in which case the captain has always the solution of sending him/her back.

Further on, let's say that a child is going to try touch something: if I'm right the most he/she is going to manage to reach is the radio, am I right or not? And I imagine that the kid is going tobe accompanied by a major of him/hers. There are many idiot parents, it is true, but even in this case, such an idiot person would be afraid of having an accident caused by the child, even if it is only because his/her own life risk. So is this person going to be careful or not?

I don't know why flight deck visits should be banned, and, honestly, I highly doubt this policy is going to prevent any hijacking. This is just another paranoia. Do you really think that hijackers are going to reach to the pilots in the "lovely kind way" or "politely asking for a brief flight deck visit" for their purposes? Be serious: it is enough to threaten one only life on board and the cockpit door is magically going to open. The "hijacking prevention" policy is ridiculous and absolutely unsustainable.

Flight desk visits all the way!

Best turbulences