Matt D
Topic Author

USAirways Questions Part II

Thu Aug 16, 2001 1:33 am

Ok...that last topic was getting a bit long. But I still have a few more questions. So I've elected to start a new topic, regarding the "Darth Vader" airline.

First, regarding Express. Is the reason they use an "Allegheny", a "Piedmont", and a "PSA" is to maintain rights to the names and prevent any new airline from ressurecting those names a la Midway, Frontier, or Pan Am?

Second, when was the last 727-100 retired from the fleet and did any of them make it into the last red and blue USAir livery? I could not find any pix of them in the database.

Third, when and why were the MD-80's pulled off the West Coast routes?

Fourth, why did US go with the F-100 as opposed to the 737-500? Given the huge 737 fleet total, with a combined USAir/Piedmont, they could've no doubt saved themselves at least some financial headache with a standard fleet?

DIA

RE: USAirways Questions Part II

Thu Aug 16, 2001 1:37 am

F-100s were very cheap and efficient to operate. That's why AA still has those odd-balls.

No airline can pass up a great deal.
Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

Thu Aug 16, 2001 2:11 am

Matt... In reference to the 727-100's in the new scheme... I dont believe any of them made it. I am in fact, 95% sure of this.

Smile/happy/getting dizzy

D L X

Thu Aug 16, 2001 3:01 am

MD80s were brought east because they couldn't fly to the east coast hubs. (And, US bungled the merger.)

The 737-500 wasn't purchased most likely because it is too heavy. The much lighter F-100 is much better suited for short hops than the heavier 735.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos