chuckles1225

Delta

Thu Aug 16, 2001 6:44 am

I will be flying to orlando from milwaukee on delta next spring and I am wondering how good their service is and if you were pleased with them.
ask not what your pilot can do for you, ask what you can do for your pilot

RE: Delta

Thu Aug 16, 2001 7:28 am

Well. If all you want to eat or drink is Water, Lemonade, and Snack Mix (NO COKE PRODUCTS). and you like paying High Fares to fly on planes that only the maintenance crews actually care about (and the pilots and Flight Attendants) than GO ON AHEAD.

deltaownsall

Thu Aug 16, 2001 7:41 am

Hmm, not critter again Yeah sure. I've always been pleased with Delta  Smile They have great low fares, nice service, and clean, safe planes. You will obviously have a choice of many more beverages besides water and lemonade, and depending on the length and time of you flight(s), you might get meal service. DL service is very comparable to the other U.S. majors. Oh, and by the way, DL has the lowest percentage of fatal crashes per million out of the six majors in the United States.
DeltaOwnsAll

wilcharl

Thu Aug 16, 2001 7:45 am

Delta is a city transit bus with wings, low service, no frills, gets you from point a to b with no frills, but reliable... MidEx would have been the wiser choice

cba

Thu Aug 16, 2001 8:23 am

Delta isn't bad. I didn't say they were good, I said not bad. There MD-80's are cramped if you sit in the set of 3 seats, but if you are in the set of 2 seats, then they are comfortable. As Wilcharl said, they will reliably get you there with no frills. If you want above average service, fly Continental.

Dazed767

Thu Aug 16, 2001 8:23 am

Well I think you stop in either CVG or ATL, so you probably won't get a "meal". MKE-ATL you'd get the skydeli gimmic. As far as the "If all you want to eat or drink is Water, Lemonade, and Snack Mix (NO COKE PRODUCTS)." That's on short little 1 hour flights. ATL-MCO get's juice, water, a few soda choices, and the snack mix. Really, if you can't go an hour without food or drink, bring your own. I like DL a lot, as far as a/c and service. After flying jetBlue 10 times then flying on DL, it sucks without a PTV, haha. Only thing wrong with JB is they have 1 a/c type, I like flying on different a/c  Big grin. It should be a fun flight, what are the a/c you'll get to and from MCO?

papatango

Thu Aug 16, 2001 8:34 am

has citter592 ever been on an airplane

Notar520AC

Thu Aug 16, 2001 8:38 am

Probably not PAPATANGO, but anyways, Delta has served my needs well, AND HAS COKE PRODUCTS ON MY FLIGHTS!! Delta's planes and service are great and their pilots are reliable, most of the time- once he slammed us into the ground landing in Orlando, but otherwise I find them to be a wonderful airline.

-Notar520AC
BMW - The Ultimate Driving Machine

Thu Aug 16, 2001 9:29 am

one thing about it,more people fly delta than any other airline inspite of Critter592!

RJ_Delta

Thu Aug 16, 2001 11:10 am

Hello:

Of course the has an excellent service in all the world. Remember: Delta is the number one in according with the customers.
¡¡¡¡ Delta is great in all things. GO DELTA !!!!

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Chris Sheldon

Click for large version

Photo © Jeff Bigelow

Click for large version

Photo © John Sweeney

RJ_Delta.

PatM04

Thu Aug 16, 2001 11:30 am

I personally love DL. They have always been very friendly and helpful, and I have always had coke products, even on short flights. They have very safe aircraft and have highly trained and qualified employees. I can't compare them with other airlines well because I have only flown on Delta and Vanguard. I liked Vanguard but I still love delta.

A330300

Thu Aug 16, 2001 12:40 pm

Delta is not bad at all...my favorite out of the majors. Service is pretty comparable to other carriers, though DL's drink cups and snack mix is larger than anyone else's.

-On most if not all ATL-Florida flights, as well as flights under 1 hourm you will have a choice of bottled water, lemonade, coke, cranapple juice, coffee, etc, usually 3, choices dependent upon the time.

-You'll get snack mix and in the morning, usually
"Granola Berry Crunch".

-Once every few years, you'll get champagne as a choice.  Big thumbs up

Thu Aug 16, 2001 12:55 pm

Delta needs to offer more selections on their florida flights. I am used to NWA's service where we get full drink service on ALL flights. In addition, jetBlue is the way to go when it involves Florida. It beats AirTran and Delta. I have flown with Comair-The Delta Connection, and they always have full beverage service, no such thing as "Fastbreak" with them, but then again, they are a partner airline. I liked Comair, but I dont want such a limited amount of drinks to Florida.

About Fares.
Delta has a habit of jacking fares up, such as in Mobile. $478 One way and all you get is Fastbreak. $407 Roundtrip (ATL), when you can go over to Gulfport-Biloxi (GPT) and get a new 717-200 with AirTran, $60 One way fare, Full Drink and Snack Service, and Fresh Air. 45 Minutes to ATL, the way to go. I think i'll take FL. I would be stuck with ASA if I am going to some place FL does not serve. Thanks to FL, ASA lowered their fares for now. I have never flown ASA, but their agents suck. Their crews are great.

Thu Aug 16, 2001 12:56 pm

I met ASA's crews in the terminal if anyone was wondering how I know about them.

Thu Aug 16, 2001 2:36 pm

I am in-flight with DL and I must say I hear more complaints about my in-flight colleagues...rudeness, and I fly around with some rude hags, too.

Thu Aug 16, 2001 2:45 pm

SOMETIMES the service offered depends on the cabin crew, once I flew ASA from atl to grr and the f/a had a full beverage, full light MEAL basket , hot towels, and offered FREE wine and beer! Once landed, I waited after other psgrs deplaned and spoke with him and he said if he has access to the supplies HE prefers to offer a "higher" level of service on the flights he works...since he said most of them he works...he works alone as the only f/a...unless it is an ASA ATR-72 which requires two f/a's...EMB120 and CRJs that ASA has only require ONE. Very nice gentleman and provided excellent, friendly service...I sent a compliment letter to his supervisor. I later heard so did other passengers...so it does make a difference

Thu Aug 16, 2001 11:28 pm

Like I said, ASA has fantastic crews. I would fly a Delta Connection carrier over American Eagle/United Express anyday. I don't like ASA's agents. What was in the meal basket?

SQ325

Thu Aug 16, 2001 11:53 pm

from the major US carriers DL is the best one.
I' ve flown a lot over the north atlantic and also a lot on domestic routes, mostly from CVG or ATL to Florida.
I couldn't tell anything bad about DL!!

blink182

Fri Aug 17, 2001 12:23 am

I don't like them, but that is just my opinion.
rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

DeltaSFO

Fri Aug 17, 2001 3:32 am

*yawn*

Same old Delta bashers here spouting the same old bullshit.

ATL-MCO receives full beverage service in all classes.

Granted, SkyDeli is not the best approach to inflight snacks. But to the FL and B6 worshippers, I ask, how good are the snacks on your preferred carriers?

Please. You guys need to get some new ammunition. Your current Delta-bashing material is getting boring.
It's a new day. Every moment matters. Now, more than ever.

wilcharl

Fri Aug 17, 2001 5:29 am

DeltaSFO,

Standard beverage service on FL consists of Coke products, and Biscoffs for Breakfast or Snack Mix for Lunch/Dinner Flights. Business class recieves a larger snack mix bag with more types of mucnies in it and 2 adult beverages. Breakfast hour business flights get Nutragrain Bars

Coloneh:

I was very glad to see your post. Glad someone @ DL agrees that DL has a fair amount of grouches. Friends of mine with DL all agree but SOME PEOPLE on here can't come out and admit it. Not that other carriers dont have their problems, but our pax, have said our crews are more pleaseing, DL's crews jumpseating on us have complimented our niceness and friends of mine @ DL say they hear it all the time about the grouchyness.

Continental

RE: Papatango And The Rest Of You Delta Lovers

Fri Aug 17, 2001 5:46 am

Hey, be considerate at least. I've flown Delta a few times from TPA-EWR, and I loved it. The service was fabulous. Critter592, I just wanna say that if you have a few bad experiences, that doesn't mean the airline sucks. I've had several bad experiences with airlines, but I don't think they suck. Now when Chuckles flies Delta, I doubt the service, and bad gate agents will be mean and bad, you know, it doesn't happen on every flight.

Fri Aug 17, 2001 11:56 am

Chuckles1225 have a great flight!Delta has the safest record of the 5 major airlines! I have flown them trans-atlantic,cross-country and even Delta Express.Ihave never had a problem on any Delta flight!

delta-flyer

Fri Aug 17, 2001 12:26 pm

I am rather curious about the standards some of you people are using to compare service. If Delta serves water, lemonade or fruit punch with a bag of pretzels, they suck -- but if Jetblue serves coke and a bag of pretzels, then they are the greatest thing since sliced bread!??

I travel (mostly on Delta) on business almost every week, from my home in Jackson, MS. What I like about Delta is that I can go almost anywhere on just 2 flights. The prices are very competitive. Example - Jackson - Chicago, Southwest advanced purchase fare is $230, Delta is $251 (NO Sat. night layover required), which includes a reserved seat! I could actually have gotten a lower fare had I reserved sooner.

On short flights, the best service I can get is to be left alone. The lemonade and pretzels don't do anything for me. On longer flights, I use my 800-mile upgrade points to get into first class, where I can get a nice snack or meal.

That's why Delta is a favorite among business travelers -- frequent flights to lots of destinations, good rewards.
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

Sean Reynolds

Fri Aug 17, 2001 12:56 pm

The most important thing I look at is the track record of the airline, which is good. I can care less how many times the flight crew kisses my ass, and gives me everything I want. Just as long as I get on the ground safe; which you can with Delta. That is the big gem of it all.

You can have wonderful in-flight staff, but when that plane crashes, does it matter? No! I'd take a safe flight over anything. And I believe you can get that with Delta.

delta-flyer

Fri Aug 17, 2001 1:09 pm

Sean Reynolds -- of course, what you say is a prerequisite.
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

wilcharl

Fri Aug 17, 2001 1:38 pm

Here is my thing,

Honestly its the principle of it.

DL has a monopoly on the ATL market. They do not like competition, and they use unfair business practices to drive it out. Other carriers come in and offer a better product, and DL starts playing games trying to drive them out lowering prices etc. FL gets a very biased rap with the news media. I remember the day a DL L-1011 came in with an APU fire that was not on the news, but FL's DC-9 with a blown tire was. FL is the little bee that DL keeps swating, and no matter how brave DL acts, they know they are scared of and allergic to that bee. Look @ Mobile. FL flew in and DL immediatly lowered the fares, when FL pulled out, you guessed it DL jacked the fares right back up.

Isnt it funny that DL's latest fare reductions were in Jet Blue and FL's key markets? COOINCIDENCE!?!?! I THINK NOT!

DL can not admit that the little guys on the other side of the ramp with the smiles on their face mad 23,000,000 in profits for 3rd quarter while they lost over 120 millon each quarter. It doesnt take a math major to realzie that 23,000,000 in profit is much better then -120,000,000

DL could use FL to refine their product, instead of acting like a kid. Leo needs to grow up, HEll we lost 120,000,000 lets repaint our planes... but we cant afford to wash them once they are painted so in a few years they will look nice and ugly.

FL is not going to be able to compete with DL's business perks program. As everyone knows the majority of DL's revenue comes from this and really this is the bottom line why DL has pax. They have a good rewards program. Their service isnt great, but they reward their best customers well.

For those who dont know, 1.5 round trips in business charged on an AMEX is a free ticket on FL or 3 business charged on an AMEX is a free ticket anywhere in the US on another carrier.

I see the age of alota the posters on this topic are young, i seriously doubt you fly all that often, its probley your daddy thats using the company credit card and earning SkyMiles. He cashes some of his skymiles in and you and him go on a trip. Service isnt great compared ot other airlines, but to you its the greatst adn your hooekd on delta.

Let me say for the record when i was young I was a Delta Fanatic. I was a charter member of their Fantastic Flyer program, i drank Paulberry punch with pride, and still have Dusty The DeltaAirLion stickers on my door. Then i started flying USAir, and the serivce was much better (mainly in the meal service) and i said for the same price why would I fly DL when i can get better service on USAir, one day i made a last minute trip to IAD @ the time I was 14. It was on a new start up called Valujet. The service was excellent as anyoen that flew valujet would tell you. I was then a die hard lover of teh underdog. Please to the business travleers out there

Fly JetBlue Airtran Southwest Spirit Vanguard even Midway. Realize that you are making a diffenrce. You are keeping the fares low. Think about the money that you/your company saved and then truely compare the service on board to big Daddy D..

There are things i love about DL, their fleet, their route structure, their uniforms (that their employees hate) and their newest livery. But, their business practices and poor service make me sick. Why shoudl delta offer you more then just lemonade when they know they have customers. The F/As could sit down the entire flight and serve nothing and people would come back because they are brand loyal and they have such a stronghold on the market. Other carriers have to offer a better product to compete and win customers

Fri Aug 17, 2001 1:51 pm

I will try to keep my opinion as unbiased ( if this is possible) as I can!
I have had the experience of working for 2 low cost carriers, before becoming a pilot for DAL (one of the happiest and proudest days of my life). Obviously most passengers rate their carriers by the meals, beverages and in-flight service they receive,(which I guess is part of it). May I offer a different insight in making your selection/rating a little easier!
There are many aspects of an Airline Operation that most passengers fail to consider. A carrier the size of DL, UA, AA, and a few others, has such a huge support structure backing up a flight, no small carrier can ever match. And remember, I am talking from personal experience. The level of safety that I have observed flying for DL is unbelievable, something that only companies with big pockets can offer. The route structure, options to the passengers, just to name a couple cannot be matched easily. Most smaller carriers do not have the fleet or flexibility, or maintenance outstations to either replace or repair an a/c and get the folks going on their way. There is also a lot to be said about the training of not only the pilots, but the flight attendants, maintenance, and various ground staff. The training facility in Atlanta is an awe inspiring experience, and Delta spends money in training. Believe me, training makes a difference. Not to mention the amazing resources available to the pilot inflight to directly communicate to a myriad of experts in real time for advice and guidance when something abnormal occurs. A visit to the Operations Control Center in Atl ( see NASA's Houston control), leaves the observer amazed!
Please do not mistake my small input here as an attempt to belittle the smaller carriers, or by any means say that they are not safe, this is not my intention or my belief. It is just that having been on both sides of the fence, DL is much safer, stuctured and organized than most smaller outfits will ever even dream of being!
The bottom line folks is, you get what you pay for, DL invests the bulk of it's money in maintenance, training and support. True, there is always room for improvement, but when you compete with low fare carriers, you have to cut something, and I'd rather have peanuts any day instead of overworked and underpaid employees!
I feel that this post will draw a lot of bad feelings from a lot of folks, just remember, this is an insider's point of view, and nothing else!
T.A.

Sat Aug 18, 2001 11:49 am

Delta Air Lines has good service. I was pleased with them.  Smile

Sat Aug 18, 2001 11:53 am

Delta also treats its employees, other than the pilots, like complete s--- !
Delta also makes questionable 'moves' with its employees' as well, that explains the rude service, the employees are sick of it and don't quit because it's a paycheck...kids to feed, etc...their livlihood.
I stay for the fact that it's a job, and I've too much seniority to just quit. I love my job, but distrust my company's business practices.
Safety is not a question here, DL is safe.
the uniforms look sharp, but they're cheaply made and were manufactured in Poland and Romania in factories with questionable labor conditions.
You'd be surprised, if you could be a "fly on the wall" in a dL employee breakroom or spend a while with some dl employees to hear about how the company works!