contrails

Mem Becoming A WN City?

Fri Aug 17, 2001 12:27 am

I was thinking about moving to Memphis at some point, but one of my criteria for moving is that Southwest Airlines has to go there. MEM, unfortunately, is not a WN city.

Anyone heard anything about WN serving MEM in the not too distant future? I think it would be a good city for them, it's a great airport with little competition, and, as I understand it, that's what they look for.

Thanks.
Flying Colors Forever!

RE: Mem Becoming A WN City?

Fri Aug 17, 2001 12:52 am

Its one of the hubs for Northwest.

DCA-ROCguy

Fri Aug 17, 2001 12:55 am

I haven't heard anything. MEM is an odd gap in a region where WN serves most medium-size cities. But it's probably due to Northwest's hub there. Southwest generally avoids airports at which Cartel airlines have hubs. That's why MEM has "little competition," because Northwest owns its pax traffic.

AirTran serves MEM, so you'd at least have them. They're more willing to charge into major Cartel airports.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

Fri Aug 17, 2001 2:16 am

Don't count on WN in MEM anytime soon. They already serve LIT and BNA and attract Memphis pax to those cities.

txagkuwait

Fri Aug 17, 2001 8:02 am

The biggest problem preventing Southwest from serving Memphis is not Northwest's presence. It is that they cannot fly from there to Dallas Love Field. DAL-MEM is a terrific market....overpriced fares, lots of traffic, about an hour 20 mins.

The previous poster is right. Southwest carries a lot of Memphis traffic. They just carry most of it out of Little Rock. There is a shuttle service called "The Betty Bus" that runs between MEM and LIT and it does a good business across there.

Southwest once considered serving AWM (West Memphis, Arkansas) in order to get a foothold in Memphis....the runway is just big enough.....(6000x100)....but I think the terminal facilities are lacking. Certainly, West Memphis is convenient to downtown Memphis (just across the river on I-40) but it is not well situated when one considers the suburbs where a lot of the air traffic flows from.

Olive Branh, Mississippi (OLV) is another suburban Memphis airport WN might consider in order to create for themselves a loophole in the Wright (Wrong) Amendment.

LoneStarMike

Sat Aug 18, 2001 6:20 am

Although this article in the Memphis Flyer from December, 1996 is a bit dated, it does a good job of explaining why Southwest has not chosen MEM so far.

A Hole in Their Plans
Why the top-rated airline in the country won't be flying into Memphis - and what it means to you

http://www.memphisflyer.com/backissues/issue409/cvrstory409.htm

LoneStarMike