Bryan
Topic Author

ATR 42/72 vs. F.friendship/50

Tue Dec 01, 1998 9:59 am

Which series of regional airliners do you like the best overall? The ATR 42/72 series or the Fokker Freindship/F.50?
Personally I like the Fokker Friendship/F.50 series, in fact the F.50 is my favourite AIRCRAFT of any type.
I like the Fokker planes because off their great quality and durability.
What's your oppinion?

Bryan

AA727

RE: ATR 42/72 vs. F.friendship/50

Tue Dec 01, 1998 10:10 am

I also prefer the Fokker 50 over the ATR. I have the same opinion.

n4khgirl

Tue Dec 01, 1998 10:38 am

I like the F 50 because I just think that it looks a lot better and it is a more comfortable plane to fly in.

Tue Dec 01, 1998 10:41 am

I like the ATR more as in the window seat under the wing you can tell the flap position. And it looks really neat. I like them in AE colors the most. But I think it would look great in Virgin colors.
Iain

drew

Tue Dec 01, 1998 11:33 am

I like the F-50 too. Its a little sad though that the company got dissolved. However Rekkof is starting the program again and I wonder if there going to sell the F50 again.

Rachel

Tue Dec 01, 1998 11:52 am

Dear Bryan,
I really like the F-27 but I don't like the look of it as much as the ATR-42. I know that the F-27 is tried and true but it look's kinda like you could snap off the landing gear. Where as the ATR-42 looks more stable to me but I guess I won't know until I take a test flight.

Later,
Rachel!

Tue Dec 01, 1998 2:51 pm

The Fokker 50 is an excellent plane. It is based on a tried and tested airframe, the F-27, stretched to accommodate more passengers and modernized with newer engines and advanced avionics. I like the advanced engine controls which allow the pilots to set takeoff, flex, climb and cruise power by pushing on a few buttons in the center of the instrument panel.

The pilots who fly the plane for a living have nothing but praises for it. Passengers also feel it is a comfortable plane. So why did the ATRs outsell the Fokkers by a wide margin? That's because the ATR has a very lightweight airframe. The Fokker is built like a tank, yes, but the airlines have to pay higher takeoff and landing fees which are always based on gross weight. I guess a lot goes to the long gear legs of the F-50. The ATR has shorter, lighter gear which rest inside sponsons along the fuselage sides.

In the end, airlines felt that they could make more money on the lower operating costs of the ATRs.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos