SESGDL
Topic Author

Potential New Hubs

Tue Aug 21, 2001 1:41 pm

Does anyone know of or think that there are cities in the U.S. that aren't but could eventually be turned into major hubs for some US airlines, I definitely think WN could eventually turn MSP into a mini-hub, that would defineitely add lower fares to MSP!

Does anyone else have any hunches?

watewate

RE: Potential New Hubs

Tue Aug 21, 2001 1:43 pm

MSP will never be WN's hub. Something about WN never going head to head with a major on their turf...

MCI is ideally situated to be a mid-continent hub for a major (or a start-up arline's base), but they have to do something about the terminal before anything can happen.

AmericanF100

Tue Aug 21, 2001 1:48 pm

I hope WN would start a hub here!

heavymetal

Tue Aug 21, 2001 1:52 pm

I tried booking some late year travel on AA.COM today from Florida to Michigan. I figured ORD would pop up as a natural hub but guess what....?

Three of the four flights offered switched at STL.

I think the AA/TWA merger is going to be AAdvantageous for St. Louis.

LV

Tue Aug 21, 2001 2:06 pm

I hope your right heavymetal, I joined AAdvantage under the assumption that STL will become an important hub for the AA network. Between that and the mini hub WN runs here, it will be easy to get anywhere fast (or at least easier than it is now)

5280AGL

Tue Aug 21, 2001 5:03 pm

I think ABQ, OMA, and SDF would be good potential hubs. Certainly not fortress hubs, but at least a smaller hub to take pressure off some of the larger hubs. All have good locations with adequate O&D traffic. I especially like the prospects of OMA. A booming market, big expansion plans in the works and it's a good competetive market, YX should beef up there. MCI has been doomed from the start, I am beginning to think there is a curse there or something. Although, technically, MCI should be a prime location for a hub operation. WN, US, and YX all have "mini hubs" there.

--Chris--

us330

Wed Aug 22, 2001 4:15 am

Austin, San Antonio and Jacksonville

D L X

Wed Aug 22, 2001 6:27 am

AUS, SAT, and JAX are geographically ill-suited for a domestic hub, especially JAX. However, if someone was going to do it, I would love to see US open a hub at AUS. It's got a nice little boom going on right now with the industries moving in.

BTW, I still don't see AA keeping STL in the long run. It's way too close to ORD (257 miles) and serves the same markets: east-west connecting. Compare to US at PIT and PHL at 267 miles, but with two distinctively different markets: PIT east-west connecting, PHL north-south connecting.

Also, to the person who stated that WN doesn't go into hubs, take a look at STL, DTW, and BWI