vw

Metal Detectors At Every Airport?

Wed Aug 22, 2001 5:10 am

Last week I flew out of Ft. Dodge, Iowa on a Mesaba Saab 340 flight to MSP. (FOD has only 3 daily flights)
When it was time to board the plane we just walked out the door and right to the plane. No metal detectors or security! I think they would at least have a hand held (wand) metal detector. Isn't there any regulation from the FAA that requires the airlines to check for weapons on every commercial flight. Have you ever got on a commercial flight with no security? What airport was it? Did you think anything of it?

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © John Davies

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Chris Coduto

yow

RE: Metal Detectors At Every Airport?

Wed Aug 22, 2001 5:16 am

Some small airports do not need to have metal detectors. Here in Canada, I think airports that handle less than 20 or 25,000 pax a year don't need a metal detector. Like who would want to hijack a plane departing from a tiny place like Kuujjuaraapik, Quebec for example.

N863DA

Wed Aug 22, 2001 6:17 am

That's not the point.

The point is that off of this aircraft, you can then get into the terminal building of a major airport... such as Detroit, in this case, without once again clearing security.

From there, you could get to any other airport in the world, or even on board an aircraft such as a transatlantic or transpacific flight!

FLY DELTA JETS and sail UNITED STATES LINES

N 8 6 3 D A

vw

RE: N863DA

Wed Aug 22, 2001 6:33 am

After getting of the plane in MSP there is a small shuttle bus that takes you to the commuter (Mesaba) terminal. When you arrive there then you must go threw security before walking to the main terminal.

N863DA

Wed Aug 22, 2001 6:39 am

That's ok then.

FLY DELTA JETS and sail UNITED STATES LINES

N 8 6 3 D A

Trvlr

Wed Aug 22, 2001 7:10 am

When I was at the airports in Trondheim, Norway (TRD), and Tromso, Norway (TOS), there was no security whatsoever. What surprised me is that these airports were fairly new (looked like they were built within the last 10 years), and they also handled a fair bit of traffic.

Actually, in Trondheim, I did see metal detectors, it's just that they were turned off and stashed against a wall!

Aaron G.

Wed Aug 22, 2001 11:18 am

Hattiesburg-Laurel (PIB) MS has 2 NW Airlink flights a day to MEM and they even have a metal detector. That is unacceptable security in Ft. Dodge.

b744

Wed Aug 22, 2001 12:07 pm

None of the domestic airports in NZ have security checks. Maybe the theory is that if someone wants to hi-jack an aircraft, they don't have enough gas to go anywhere else!  Smile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos