pgh234

Some More PIT-LGA-MGW-ATL Questions

Wed Aug 22, 2001 9:15 am

I have a little question for you all. On airlineinfo.com it says that AirTran swapped two or the PIT-LGA slots with ATL-LGA. (However, since the article is password protected, I cant get in) Where does the other slot go? or does it even matter?

As for other PIT news, US Airways is gonna start 3 daily PIT-MDW flights in December to compete with AirTran I guess. Do you think US Airways is gonna muscle AirTran out of this market too?

Also, as of October, a fourth daily PIT-ATL flight will be started. Do you think PIT as a focus city or hub for AirTran is now out of the question? Do you think PIT is going to become strictly PIT-ATL in the future?

pgh234

atct

RE: Some More PIT-LGA-MGW-ATL Questions

Wed Aug 22, 2001 11:14 am

Well as a PIT native and newspaper reader, Ive heard all about this. AirTran has dropped ALL flights to LGA from PIT. 2 of the flights are gonna be ATL-LGA and i believe the other will become MDW-LGA. I hope AirTran considers making PIT a mini-hub. But i dont believe that will happen since PIT is the most expensive airport in the US to operate into. Thats something a smaller airline does not want on their backs. As for US operating to MDW, ive heard nothing about it. But all I know is that AirTran is giving US airways a run for its money, bt in the long run, I hope USAirways wins for the sake of Pittsburgh.

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

pgh234

Wed Aug 22, 2001 1:16 pm

Here is the PIT-MDW press release:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/010821/dctu009.html

As for PIT being the most expensive to opperate into, I thought it was one of the cheapest. I thought someone (Hypermike maybe?) said that previously.

pgh234

BonanzaFunjet

Thu Aug 23, 2001 8:47 am

ATCT - Good to hear that Airtran is giving USAirways a run for it's money. PIT-LGA flights did have a low load factor, but the congestion at LGA also played a role in Airtran leaving that market. Airtran is still serious about PIT, but only wants 20 percent of that market.

Relax, Pittsburgh is safe.

BonanzaFunjet

HyperMike

Thu Aug 23, 2001 9:56 am

PIT can't be a really expensive place for a hub. I've always understood that it was a very inexpensive place to operate a hub. That's what offsets PIT's low O&D traffic.

Cody

Thu Aug 23, 2001 2:20 pm

What's the news about MGW? You had that in your title.