pgh234

Some More PIT-LGA-MGW-ATL Questions

Wed Aug 22, 2001 9:15 am

I have a little question for you all. On airlineinfo.com it says that AirTran swapped two or the PIT-LGA slots with ATL-LGA. (However, since the article is password protected, I cant get in) Where does the other slot go? or does it even matter?

As for other PIT news, US Airways is gonna start 3 daily PIT-MDW flights in December to compete with AirTran I guess. Do you think US Airways is gonna muscle AirTran out of this market too?

Also, as of October, a fourth daily PIT-ATL flight will be started. Do you think PIT as a focus city or hub for AirTran is now out of the question? Do you think PIT is going to become strictly PIT-ATL in the future?

pgh234

atct

RE: Some More PIT-LGA-MGW-ATL Questions

Wed Aug 22, 2001 11:14 am

Well as a PIT native and newspaper reader, Ive heard all about this. AirTran has dropped ALL flights to LGA from PIT. 2 of the flights are gonna be ATL-LGA and i believe the other will become MDW-LGA. I hope AirTran considers making PIT a mini-hub. But i dont believe that will happen since PIT is the most expensive airport in the US to operate into. Thats something a smaller airline does not want on their backs. As for US operating to MDW, ive heard nothing about it. But all I know is that AirTran is giving US airways a run for its money, bt in the long run, I hope USAirways wins for the sake of Pittsburgh.

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

pgh234

Wed Aug 22, 2001 1:16 pm

Here is the PIT-MDW press release:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/010821/dctu009.html

As for PIT being the most expensive to opperate into, I thought it was one of the cheapest. I thought someone (Hypermike maybe?) said that previously.

pgh234

BonanzaFunjet

Thu Aug 23, 2001 8:47 am

ATCT - Good to hear that Airtran is giving USAirways a run for it's money. PIT-LGA flights did have a low load factor, but the congestion at LGA also played a role in Airtran leaving that market. Airtran is still serious about PIT, but only wants 20 percent of that market.

Relax, Pittsburgh is safe.

BonanzaFunjet

HyperMike

Thu Aug 23, 2001 9:56 am

PIT can't be a really expensive place for a hub. I've always understood that it was a very inexpensive place to operate a hub. That's what offsets PIT's low O&D traffic.

Cody

Thu Aug 23, 2001 2:20 pm

What's the news about MGW? You had that in your title.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos