The livery illustrated second from the top, comprised of a light blue window stripe with gold pinstripe bordering the white and bare metal areas, was introduced with United's first DC-8-11 jet deliveries in the Spring of 1959. Initially, UA's red/white/blue shield logo of the time was displayed immediately forward of the UNITED fuselage titles. The shield logo was removed from the upper fuselage by 1966 but retained in the area below the cockpit windows.
The next livery pictured, with stars, italic style lettering and red stripe at the base of the white portion of the fuselage was UA's standard livery of 1972-74, according to photo captions in "United, The Main Line Airway" by George W. Cearley, Jr.
Prior to this livery, about 1970-72, a variation of the late '60s color scheme appeared, which retained the light blue window stripe, gold pintripe and red/light blue tail "spear" but differed in having italic style upper and lower case lettering in place of the original all upper case slanted block style lettering. The first 747s and DC-10s were delivered in this livery, with the exception of having a red pinstripe (in place of gold) dividing the white and bare metal areas. Neither of these two variations of the same basic livery included stars.
The first orange/red/blue livery, with windows in the red stripe, and the new "U" logo was first featured on the cover of United's September 9, 1974 timetable. The last type delivered new in this livery, in June, 1988, was a 737-322, N326UA.
The orange/red/blue stripes were lowered and the "United" fuselage titles enlarged from July, 1988, when N327UA, also a 737-322, was delivered to UA new from Boeing in the revised livery.