Air Transat 7 Safty Violations In 2yrs

Sat Aug 25, 2001 12:57 pm

Transport Canada has released that Air Transat apparently has had 7 safty violations over a 2 yr period. They include fitting a L1011 part to a A-330 acft, not complying with the minimum number of flight attendants per acft etc etc. I honestly thought that Canadian aviation sked or charter was the saftest in the world, I guess I was wrong. Its almost as if a disaster was waiting to happen. How dare a airline put profits over maintenance. Im sick to my stomach to hear such stories and this is reported straight from Transport Canada officials about the above safty violations Im totally disgusted with Air Transats Safty/Maintenance.

Your thoughts/comments??

BWIA330

RE: Air Transat 7 Safty Violations In 2yrs

Sat Aug 25, 2001 1:04 pm

I agree with you 100%. I am sick too of seeing an airline degrade their standards for profits. TSC really needs to buck up on their standards. Fitting an L-1011 part on an A330? Are they crazy. BTW where did you hear that, or maybe you can post a link to the article.

Regards,

BWIA330

Sat Aug 25, 2001 1:07 pm

This was reported on CTV a Canadian Broadcast company from a official spoksperson from Transport Canada. These records r public and u can contact Transport Canada for any safty record on any Canadian registered acft.

BWIA330

Sat Aug 25, 2001 1:39 pm

Hey,

At what e-mail address can I contact them? I would like to obtain a few safety records for some aircraft.

Regards,

BWIA330

lymanm

Sat Aug 25, 2001 4:25 pm

If you were to analyze each airlines' safety "violations" you'd be surprised. Generally speaking, these are usually paper-work related issues such improper methods of filling out maintenance logs or items that were not signed by the appropriate official. To be repulsed by these violations is a bit much, especially since most don't know (nor understand) the first thing about the topic. Whenever there is an incident like the Azores A330, the press has a field day and blows small things *way* out of proportion. The general public (including most on this forum) and the press themselves are horribly ill-informed on such issues, and generate irrational fears. This topic proves it. I continue to be dismayed by this, every time there is an airliner incident.
buhh bye

We're Nuts

Sat Aug 25, 2001 4:32 pm

Keep in mind an "L-1011 part" could be anything, from a wing to a seatbelt!
Dear moderators: No.

L-188

Sat Aug 25, 2001 4:39 pm

I have to agree with WN on this one...

7 "safety violations" does not sound like a major thing. Especially that mishandled part thing. In many cases these so called safety violations are just paperwork issues at best or at worst nitpicking.

An example is the $5000 dollar fine Delta Airlines got once because the brew light was burned out on a coffee maker in the galley.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

RE: BWIA330

Sat Aug 25, 2001 11:39 pm

BWIA330

Here is the Transport Canada site that u can go to http://www.tc.gc.ca

For press releases by Transport Canada go to http://www.tc.gc.ca/realeases/nat/01-h099e.htm

To obtain information and ask specific questions regarding the safty record of a Canadian registered acft contact Mr. Anythony Polci at Transport Canada Airline Safty Divsion (613) 991-0700 Ottawa.

To all the rest who responded, Air Transat ONLY has about 20 acft. 7 safty violations in a matter of 2yrs for a company who operates only 20 acft to me is ALOT. Specially when they were caught randomly. I can only imagine how many other violations took place when they were not being monitored or checked. Lives are to valuable to put a price tag on, in my opinion Air Transat has started a habit of only fixing what must be absoulutly fixed and ignored the smaller things in order to save money. Look at what happended to VALUE JET when they had there very last safty violation. IT KILLED EVERYONE ON-BOARD. I hope that Air Transat cleans up its act and that other airlines that possible think they can get around with dirty maintenance practices will wake up and do what is right.

lymanm

Airtransam

Sun Aug 26, 2001 2:42 am

Airtransam - I suggest you keep your inbred opinions to yourself to avoid further embarassment.

IF this investigation turns up evidence that TS has been negligent, I take that back. But when they don't find a thing....
buhh bye

Marrty

Dancer

Sun Aug 26, 2001 4:28 am

Dancing Man,

Keep the insults to a minimum. Everyone is entitled to an opinion (to use your own words).

And I have to agree with Lymann - Keep your opinions to yourself to avoid future embarassment.

Also, please provide me with a mailing address so I can send you a dictionary - you need it.

The above is defined as advice, not insults (before you bombard us with more keyboard diarrhea).

SafeFlyer

Sun Aug 26, 2001 5:16 am

Well actually, It's true to say that Airtransam as a very disgusting vocabulary but...
The people who posted and said that their was nothing to alarm with are Americans... We, Canadian, proud ourselves on the quality of our Airlines as well as their maintenance practices. For most of us, 7 safety violations in 2 years are far too much, and no matter I'f it's a seat belt or an engine cowling.
Added to this, is that AT operates the most aging fleet in Canada with 14 Tristars, 8 of whom have been built between 1972 and 1975. This information is available on Transport Canada's Website at www.tc.gc.ca. You can also find all maintenance violations, a/c safety records as well as a/c hours and cycles.
Have a look at a/c cycles and other things on Transat a/c on TC's website and compare it With Canada 3000 or Air Canada. This should change your view of AT, and you might think that Air Canada is not so bad in term of safety compared with AT. But the thing is, they've got 350 planes. Air Transat has 24.

Regards SafeFlyer.

RE: SafeFlyer

Sun Aug 26, 2001 6:07 am

SafeFlyer,

very well said, excellent point dude. Could'nt of said it better myself.

Marrty

Sun Aug 26, 2001 9:42 am

Transam says, "Could'nt of said it better myself."

- Couldn't have typed it either.

delta-flyer

Sun Aug 26, 2001 9:58 am

Just remember one thing, gentlemen: everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"