sdate747

Singer Aaliyah Killed In Plane Crash

Sun Aug 26, 2001 1:44 pm

this is indeed very sad

Aaliyah, 7 Others Said Killed in Crash

MARSH HARBOUR, Bahamas (AP) - R&B singer and actress Aaliyah died when a small plane that was to carry her and eight others back to the United States crashed after takeoff in the Bahamas, authorities said.

Eight were killed in Saturday's crash, and one critically injured man was flown to Florida for treatment, officials said.

``We find it devastating and most unfortunate that after having this world-famous star Aaliyah and her crew select the Bahamas as their choice location for her latest video, the project has climaxed on such a tragic note,'' said Minister of Tourism Tommy Turnquest, who happened to be visiting Abaco Island, where the plane went down.

Aaliyah's song ``Try Again'' earned her a Grammy nomination for best female R&B vocalist. She made her feature acting debut in the film ``Romeo Must Die.''

Bahamian national television quoted the civil aviation department as saying Aaliyah was among nine Americans on board.

The private plane was leaving the Marsh Harbour airport on a trip to Opa-locka, Fla. when it went down Saturday evening, said police spokesman Marvin Dames.

Abaco Island Chief Councilor Silbert Mills said those killed included two women and six men.

Islander Derek Russell, who worked for the group during the video shoot, said he got the artist's autograph before the accident.

``She's a nice girl, a friendly girl,'' he said.

The cause of the crash was unclear. Kathleen Bergen, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (news - web sites) in Atlanta, said the plane was a Cessna 402 owned by Skystream, a company based in Pembroke Pines, Fla. She said the plane crashed at the end of the airport's runway at 6:50 p.m.

DeltaRNOmd-80

RE: Singer Aaliyah Killed In Plane Crash

Sun Aug 26, 2001 2:16 pm

Yes, I was shocked when I got on Yahoo and saw this. She had already accomplished a LOT with her first hit single at 15 and she had the world in front of her. This is a sad and tragic loss to the music world.

Sun Aug 26, 2001 2:30 pm

My heart goes out to her family and friends. What a lovely young lady she was. My heart also goes out to the families of the other victims that were on board.

Ilyushin96M

Sun Aug 26, 2001 9:40 pm

What sad news. Aaliyah has joined the ranks with Patsy Cline, Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and other famous singers whose carees, young lives and promise were cut short by tragic plane crashes.

My thoughts are with Aaliyah's loved ones, as well as those of the others who perished in this crash.

GOT

Sun Aug 26, 2001 10:10 pm

A tragic loss for the world.It's always sad when this happends, but we can only keep improving safety and hope that it doesn't happend again.

GOT
Just like birdwatching - without having to be so damned quiet!

SESGDL

Mon Aug 27, 2001 12:05 am

The music world has lost yet another R&B/Rap singer, just years ago Tu Pac and Notorious B.I.G. died, not in plane crashes though. VERY SAD!!!

PatM04

Mon Aug 27, 2001 12:12 am

She was a wonderful singer and will be missed greatly. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and the other families.

VirginA340

Mon Aug 27, 2001 12:31 am

My thoughts, prayers and heart goes to their families and friends and I pray that the 2 survivors in the hospital recover. The number of people that died is way too much as is. The R&B/Rap world has been deprived of a talented person yet again (ie Tupac, Biggie, EZ E,etc)
"FUIMUS"

SegmentKing

Mon Aug 27, 2001 12:32 am

the AP just released a pic of the plane... looks like it scrunched up like an accordian.  Sad

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010826/ts/bahamas_plane_crash.html

people in southeast Florida aren't too thrilled with the news. There have been WAY too many plane crashes lately down here (or planes bound for here).

Nate
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

chepos

Mon Aug 27, 2001 12:40 am

How tragic, I was just hearing a song from her. She was so young and talented. R.I.P Aaliah.
Chepos
Puerto Rico
Fly the Flag!!!!

Mon Aug 27, 2001 1:27 am

oh my god this stinks, aaliyah was very talinted as a singer and Actor. she was very attractive and seemed nice.
 Crying

Mon Aug 27, 2001 1:52 am

What a horrible tragedy. I never expected this kind of catastrophe to occur. Although I wasn't a fan of her music, I saw the movie Romeo Must Die and she performed magnificently in it. Aaliyah had a bright and promising future ahead of her. It is quite sad to see her die like this. My condolences go out to all of her family, friends and fans throughout the world. May she rest in peace.

hash

Mon Aug 27, 2001 1:56 am

A very tragic loss indeed. She was talented and very beautiful. I really liked the song Try Again. My thoughts are with her family, friends and fans.

Mark_D.

Mon Aug 27, 2001 2:02 am

I'm not really familiar with Aaliyah or her music, but it does seem like a terrrible and tragic loss, as for those who died with her as well.

Very sad to hear. May they rest in peace, and those loved ones they leave be comforted in their grief.

Mon Aug 27, 2001 2:31 am

This is indeed a very tragic news, may her and the other people on this plane rest in peace, may those that have been hospitalized recover soon from it.

LatinPlane

Mon Aug 27, 2001 3:43 am

Oh my that is so sad. She had just released her latest album like a month ago. She was very pretty and talented. It's sad.

Her website is still running...

http://www.aaliyah2001.com

Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

Mon Aug 27, 2001 4:21 am

The number killed has been bumped to 9.  Sad This is awful. Very sad and unbelievable that a young singer could die so early. My prayers go out to her and her family.

ATA L1011

Mon Aug 27, 2001 5:19 am

Ver sad
Treat others as you expect to be treated!

EGGD

Mon Aug 27, 2001 5:28 am

I didn't really think she was very talented when i listened to "Try again" but it does give you that "empty" feeling inside when you hear someone famous has died.

My condolences to the Family and friends.

Regards

Dan

Mon Aug 27, 2001 5:36 am

but it does give you that "empty" feeling inside when you hear someone famous has died.

Yes I agree.

Sad

VirginA340

Mon Aug 27, 2001 8:46 am

The persons that survived, were any of them members of the crew or with Aaliyahs' party.
"FUIMUS"

Twotterwrench

Mon Aug 27, 2001 9:11 am

The last survivor has now died as well. Apparently the plane was grossly overweight and the pilot objected but gave in to pressure from his passengers who insisted they take all their baggage. 9 pax is a big load for a 402 without a lot of bags.

hkgspotter1

Mon Aug 27, 2001 12:23 pm

IF the passengers refused to listen to the pilot then I'm sorry to say this is their fault. The other question is if the pilot knew the plane was overloaded why did he still try to take off ???

steinwayartist

Mon Aug 27, 2001 12:41 pm

Does anyone know the tail number of the Cessna? Has NTSB done its thing and cleaned up the wreck, or is there still time for A.net-ers to take shots of the crash? The AP image from CNN doesn't show the plane in much detail.

-Nick

heavymetal

Mon Aug 27, 2001 1:25 pm

It's easy to make guesses. Too early to know 'why?' though. I'm not out to disparage this unfortunate and very talented young lady and her companions, but I will say as someone who works indirectly in the music industry and deals with artists and their representatives......they can be a demanding bunch. Famous people, and the people who manage them, for better or worse, are used to getting "their way". And frequently their celebrity status can entice well meaning people to 'bend the rules'.

I remember about twelve years ago a VERY famous celebrity wrestler was stuck(with the rest of us) on a Pan Am Shuttle 727 at BOS...that's Boston LOGAN, not HOGAN. Wintry weather had backed everything up along the BOS-WASH air corridor and our Shuttle from New York was sitting shut down waiting for a gate to clear. This large 'hulking' man went into a rage that he couldnt get off the plane. FA's were being rightfully abrupt with him that he wasn't helping things. That only made things worse. Sure enough, after ten minutes or so of this , an airstair rolled out on the ramp, the front door opened and the guy , who by then was nobody's 'hero', egressed the aircraft. And we were all ready to follow him when the door snapped shut again. Some of the 1st class passengers were about to make the scene he threw look like quiet time when the airplane powered up and headed for the gate.

Was the Cessna crash the result of too many bags demanded to be carried by wealthy, famous people? Was it an engine crapping out at precisely the wrong time? Was it a combination of both?(Murphys Law facing down a pilot who knew he was overloaded and prayed for two working engines on climb-out)

We'll see.

Superfly

Mon Aug 27, 2001 1:55 pm

This is just terrible news. God bless her and all who perished in the crash.
Bring back the Concorde

Dasa

Mon Aug 27, 2001 4:32 pm

This is indeed a tragic loss for everyone, the RnB Music Indusry and of course her family and friends. Aaliyah was a great singer/actress and from what I heard, she was also a great person.
What astounds me is that here in Australia, the press have given absolutely no coverage to this tragic loss of life. The only item I have seen in the press so far is a small side article in the Melbourne Express newspaper.
I think Aaliyah should be given the exposure she deserves. Today at school, many students were unaware that Aaliyah had been killed, and when I informed them, they were awestruck, and thought it was a hoax. This is tragic, to see that such a prolific actress and artist is not even mentioned here.
Again, this is a sad event for everyone, and I think we have all lost a great talent and a great person now.

airbus_330_340

Wed Aug 29, 2001 3:38 pm

Aaliyah was supposed to star in the "Martrix Reloded"

9V-SVA

Wed Aug 29, 2001 4:45 pm

This is just so sad.

9V-SVA aka GUNDU  Big thumbs up
9V-SVA | B772ER

cedarjet

Wed Aug 29, 2001 5:45 pm

There was a big feature in top British music mag Q last month, the headline? HER TIME IS NOW.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

go canada!

Wed Aug 29, 2001 5:59 pm

Its sad that she was coming back from filinh her latest video and that she was due to be in the martix 2 as well.
It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit

trintocan

Fri Aug 31, 2001 11:20 pm

I read about this in London on Monday. It was very sad and I was shocked indeed to read this. Aaliyah was so beautiful and talented and above all so young. Her legacy will live on.

Aaliyah thus joins a long list of singers who died in plane accidents, including Ritchie Valens, Buddy Holly, Big Bopper, Patsy Cline, Otis Redding, several of the Bar-Kays, Kyu Samamoto (of Sukiyaki fame) and John Denver.

My thoughts go out to Aaliyah's family and friends, her fans all over the world and the loved ones of the other 8 victims. One thing though, why was the plane overloaded? 9 people in a Cessna with luggage seems a lot by any standard.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!