steinwayartist

Airplane-related Math Problem.

Wed Aug 29, 2001 2:30 am

My math teacher (I'm dropping the course, btw, but not because of this  Smile) gave us a problem that started out like this:

"An airplane is flying at 350 mi/h and one mile high..."

Well, we all know that's a big no-no, seeing as how there's a (287.5mph) 250Kts<-->10,000ft.MSL limit  Smile

I scribbled "illegal" and all sortsa stuff on the page, explaining why it's inconceivable, etc., after which we had to turn the paper in.

I wonder what she'll have to say...

Just a little humor  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

-Nick

David L

RE: Airplane-related Math Problem.

Wed Aug 29, 2001 2:35 am

Did the question state which country the aircraft was flying over?

Signed,
A. Killjoy

toady

Wed Aug 29, 2001 2:52 am

Why is it "inconceivable & illegal"?
The question is "An airplane..." not "A civil airliner...".
You'll end up with egg on your face if your teacher tells you that the problem refers to a military plane flying in time of war.

Wed Aug 29, 2001 2:55 am

Probably not the best thing to do, I used to do things like that is school, I corrected my English Teacher about flying over Disneyland at night, Bio teacher he cliaim gas was not a fluid (LOL!), and so on. All is does is make them grader tougher when it comes to your work!
Iain

steinwayartist

Wed Aug 29, 2001 3:29 am

You don't have to bash me like that! Waahaaa  Crying

lol, but yeah, you're right. I have a history of doodling.  Smile
Long story short, I'm bored in the class.

Anyway, I should've known that there's an exception for everything, and that posting stuff about planes here was bound to be challenged. :-p

Oh well, let's go back to watching the US Open...

-Nick

N863DA

Wed Aug 29, 2001 5:50 am

Slightly off topic, but I had a final, last semester for Aviation Principles of Management at ERAU, and as a bonus question at the end of the exam, the question read something along the lines of:

If a wide-body 767 jet, scheduled to depart Los Angeles at 14:45 and arrive Honolulu at 18:30, actually departs LAX at 17:00 with a headwind of 50kts over a distance of 2554 miles, a) what year was the aircraft built and b) what color(s) is/are the tail of the aircraft?

The answer, of course, being the Delta geek-orama that I am, was a) 2000 and b) (semi-trick question) Red, Royal Blue & Light Blue.

And I got the credit for it!!!! It made the difference between a B and an A for the test!

For some things, it pays to be alert and answer the trick question literally - EG 'it's not legal' - as sometimes that's the answer to some of the questions I've had in my recent finals. But for regular non-aviation based math, just go with the problem as it was meant...

FLY DELTA JETS and sail UNITED STATES LINES

N 8 6 3 D A

David L

Wed Aug 29, 2001 5:52 am

Sorry. But you're right, you should have known  Smile

aa61hvy

Wed Aug 29, 2001 9:47 am

i hate when teachers do that... i had a problem on my algebra exam last year, and the final answer said it took 6 hours to fly 300 miles... stupid math teachers!!
 Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Go big or go home