BA
Topic Author

How Are Landings In Sna?

Sat Sep 01, 2001 11:54 am

Well.........I've been hearing about rocket take-offs from SNA, however, I haven't heard anything about landings......

Surely it has to have an interesting landing.

So, how are landings like in SNA?

Regards.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

airbus380

RE: How Are Landings In Sna?

Sat Sep 01, 2001 12:14 pm

I was diverted to SNA from LAX on WN. The landing was ok.

AAR90

Sat Sep 01, 2001 12:40 pm

Same as any place else with possible exception of slightly longer use of reverse thrust and heavier braking by those new to SNA.  Wink/being sarcastic

*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

BA
Topic Author

Sat Sep 01, 2001 12:53 pm

In Denver (DEN), most of the time idle thrust reverse is used, and not thrust reverse mainly because the runways are long enough (12,000ft) for an aircraft to land and stop using braking power instead of the wear and tear causing thrust reverse.

However, occasionally when I landed in Denver, the pilot used quite a bit of thrust reversing power.

It was extremely turbulent that day, there were thunderstorm clouds in the sky, it was hot, and it was unbelievably turbulent. I was returning from FRA on a LH A340. The whole decent was bumpy even when we were a couple feet off the ground. When we touched down, we touched down at a somewhat angle, and it was a hard landing too. The pilot immediately alligned again, deployed the spoilers, brakes, and quite a bit of thrust reversing power.

We did touch down a a pretty high speed too.

Regards.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran