NoUFO
Topic Author

Parachute For Cirrus Light Aircraft

Mon Sep 03, 2001 5:21 am

The cirrus SR20 is no real airliner but what shall I say: this is going to be the first aircraft wit a parachute as safety feature:

Regards,
NoUFO
I support the right to arm bears

NoUFO
Topic Author

RE: Parachute For Cirrus Light Aircraft

Mon Sep 03, 2001 5:26 am

To cite www.aerospace-technology.com:

The most publicised feature of this aircraft is its standard parachute recovery system, a first for a production civilian aircraft.
The Cirrus Aircraft Parachute System (CAPS) adaptation of a Ballistic Recovery Systems aircraft parachute provides a survivable parachute landing for dire circumstances such as an engine failure/fuel starvation, structural failure, etc. The parachute should allow a descent at a rate of about 30 feet/second, uncomfortable but safe.

Regards,
NoUFO

desertjets

Mon Sep 03, 2001 5:40 am

The Cirrus SR20 and SR22 are the first production aircraft to include a ballistic recovery system from the factory. BRS's are pretty common place these days on ultralights and there is an STC available for Cessna 150/152s as well.

But since the major players in GA (Piper, Cessna, Beech, Mooney, and Socota) being as conservative as they are I wouldn't expect a BRS anytime soon. I don't even think the new Lancair production aircraft offer a BRS.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

NoUFO
Topic Author

Mon Sep 03, 2001 5:42 am

huhmmm, ... didn't know. Thanks for the information, DesertJets.

NoUFO

EGNV

Mon Sep 03, 2001 5:49 am

I read an article on the Cirrus SR20 in this month's Today's Pilot magazine, anyone else read it?

Looks like a very nice aircraft. Cockpit is very spacious.