growly150

Jumpseat

Tue Sep 04, 2001 7:37 am

Can F/As ride jumpseat on us carriers (i.e., Us, united, northwest)?
Of course i don't mean flights on which they are working.

DE727UPS

RE: Jumpseat

Tue Sep 04, 2001 7:59 am

no

growly150

Tue Sep 04, 2001 8:00 am

also what is deadheading?

DE727UPS

Tue Sep 04, 2001 8:02 am

I should say they can't ride in the cockpit jumpseat....the F/A jumpseats? I think they can but usually would take an open pax seat, if available, as a non-rev.

FBU 4EVER!

Tue Sep 04, 2001 8:16 am

In SAS,the jumpseat would normally be available for a F/A if he/she wishes to be seated there during take-off and landing.In fact,part of the F/A's route introduction training includes at least 1 T/O and LDG on the cockpit jump-seat.
Jump-seat use is regulated by some form of authority rule in almost any country,but here in Scandinavia,the Commander (Captain) has the final authority as to who will ride on the seat.Frequently,we've got passengers with a fear of flying,and after a meeting with these passengers,the Captain may offer a ride on the jump-seat to these poor souls.Most of the time,they accept the offer and they almost invariably leave the A/C,looking forward to their next flight!
Good jump-seat use,indeed!
"Luck and superstition wins all the time"!

oflove13

Tue Sep 04, 2001 8:57 am

Yes they can ive done it a few times. I jumpseated on a couple of airlines and they would give me a seat but if there are no pax seats they will let me sit in a jumpseat. Its up to the airline.We just cant sit in the f/d while there are paxs on board
Deadheading is when flight attendants or a pilot are flying on there own airline but not working, usually its on company time to get them from one airport to another to work, because they are short f/as or pilots there. they usually get flight pay or half pay for it depending on the airline

growly150

Tue Sep 04, 2001 9:08 am

so can F/As ride jumpseat when deadheading?
also how often do crews deadhead?

growly150

Tue Sep 04, 2001 11:11 am

i mean like how many times a month, just an estimate

a32

Tue Sep 04, 2001 1:58 pm

FA's can jumpseat on the FA jumpseat at NWA. They can book this seat for their use upto 10 days in advance. Many use it for communting to or from work. Cockpit jumpseat is available to FA's only when there are no paxs on board.

No average number on the deadhead. Most deadheads will occur on charter ops or during major weather events which require the relocating of crew to relieve other crew members who have reached their maximum duty times.

SA-JET

RE: Jumpseat-A32

Tue Sep 04, 2001 7:28 pm

A32, re. the NWA jumpseats. Does this mean that the F/A deadheading on a jumpseat must also assume the safety responsibilities at that station, even if he or she is not on active duty?

oflove13

Wed Sep 05, 2001 1:12 am

Usually when the F/a's are deadheading the company has reserved them a seat on there airline so they dont have to sit in the jumpseats they will fly as a regular pax. The amount of time they dh a month all depends on the company and its need to fill spots for flight attendants. At the airline i am with now i havnt dh'd yet but others i know have done it a few times a month mainly to re position a crew in a different city or country to pick up a plane and work from there. At the JFK base where they started to have flight attendants D/H out and work back which sucks because these are europe flights and lets face it you dont get enough sleep on a plane so you are really tired on the way home. but the amout of time all depends on the company and its needs.
If you do sit in the jumpseat for any reason you are considered the assist, which means you agreed to help the main flight attendant out in the event of an emergency, or anything happens to him or her you are to be the primary f/a. when i sit on jumpseats of other airlines they would give explain to me how to open there door and emergency procedures.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos