ly772

Israeli Airliners And Lufthansa Question

Wed Sep 05, 2001 12:51 am

When you think of Israel and airplanes, you usually think of El Al (The Israeli National Carrier, http://www.elal.com ) but there are more airliners that are Israeli. Arkia Airlines operates flights from between Israeli cities:
Haifa
Ste Dov (Tel Aviv, Northwest Side)
Ben Gurion (Eastern Tel Aviv)
Eilat
Rosh Pina
Jerusalem (This airport is closed because it's near the Palestinian town of Ramallah)

Arkia also flies to several European countries from TLV. For more information on Arkia go to http://www.arkia.com

Israir is another airliner that operates flights to the same airports, and European flights from TLV as well. For their official website, click here http://www.israir.co.il
---------------------------------------------------
Now this comes to another question...
Are there any non-Israeli airliners that serve airports in Israel except Tel Aviv or Eilat? The answer is yes. A Lufthansa airplane was seen at Haifa airport a few months ago and I believe they fly to Haifa but I'm not sure. Any Lufthansa experts know? Bitte? Dank!

airsicknessbag

RE: Israeli Airliners And Lufthansa Question

Wed Sep 05, 2001 1:08 am

Well, there are definitely no scheduled LH flights to anywhere other than TLV. Must have been some kind of charter.

As for other airlines, I´m quite sure you´ll find some holiday carriers in Eilat on a regular basis.

Daniel Smile

Wed Sep 05, 2001 1:26 am

"another question"; what was the first?

It would have been wonderful for me to have direct flights to Haifa airport! Most of my family is in Haifa, and it's always unconvenient to travel to and from BGN. Especially on the return journeys, because the flight usually leave early and one has to be more than 2 hours prior to departure at the airport. And even now with the SR flights in the afternoon, it's not too much better because of the traffic...
Several years ago CROSSAIR wanted to launch direct flights to HFA from GVA/ZRH, but the runway there was too short.
I once heard that Arkia planned to operate some flights between HFA and BGN, but...

ly772

Wed Sep 05, 2001 2:07 am

FYI...The runway will be extended enough for a 757 to land. Maybe CROSSAIR will return?

airblue

Wed Sep 05, 2001 2:38 am

Don't European charters how fly to Eilat use Ovda airport in spite of the city airport of Eilat, do they??
Cause when two years ago I was on vacation in Israel, my flight landed in Ovda.

Also I read in the Eilat airport magazine that there was a project to built a new airport in the Eilat area that use the runway of Aquaba airport, but it's build at the boarder.

Wed Sep 05, 2001 4:52 am

Yeah there was an exciting project on the cards involving a dual airport for Akaba and Eilat, which would have been a real manifestation of the co-operation of Israel and Jordan. However, due to the current situation, the project has been understandably shelved.

TNNH

RJ100

Wed Sep 05, 2001 6:00 am

Yes, and Crossair also had plans to launch BSL-Eilat flights (I think charter flights). But with the problems that Israel faces right now there is not much tourism in Israel.

RJ100
none

LY744

Wed Sep 05, 2001 8:53 am

Currently HFA has a 3839x98 feet (1170x30 meters) Runway. What will be the length of the extended Rwy?
The reason for OVD being used for some flights to Eilat is probably the longer Rwy (6234ft/1900m vs. 9843ft/ 3000m) available.

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it