MattNZ
Topic Author

Ansett Destroying Delibrate?

Fri Sep 07, 2001 5:33 am

I just thought that maybe Air New Zealand want to destroy Ansett and take over all AU operations by Air New Zealand.
I can see that Ansett will become Air New Zealand before long and therefore the name will be no longer.
Was this why Air New Zealand stupidly bought Ansett in the first place I wonder, why would they sacrifice possibly a whole new fleet of aircraft for an ageing airline.

QANTASforever

RE: Ansett Destroying Delibrate?

Fri Sep 07, 2001 7:15 am

I doubt weather this is the case. If ANZ wanted to take over all AN operations (and this is exclusively to the realms or speculation) they wouldnt purposly engage in an intentional destruction of AN's finances, that may in turn damage themselves. If ANZ wanted to operate instead of AN, ANZ would simply execute its rights as owner of AN and paint all a/c in ANZ colours, change the Ansett name to ANZ and contract all AN employees to ANZ or just fire them.

However this is most unlikely.
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

MattNZ
Topic Author

Fri Sep 07, 2001 1:05 pm

I just don't understand how Air New Zealand is now turning into "average of the pacific" as they need to have at least PTV's in Economy and a upgraded First Class (dating back to the late 1980's). And of course new aircraft.

sccutler

Always With The PTVs...

Fri Sep 07, 2001 1:11 pm

...you're buying reliable and safe transport, not video entertainment.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

F27

RE: Always With The PTVs...

Fri Sep 07, 2001 5:36 pm

Before worrying about PTV on their seats they need to worry about 16,000 Australian jobs at Ansett or is this just a typical KIWI thread we are ok but bugger the rest. It sounds like it from the NZ prime minister

Laserjet

Fri Sep 07, 2001 5:44 pm

I don't think that the destruction of Ansett is deliberate, especially since it could damage Air New Zealand in a big way. I think part of the problem is the cautious approach of the New Zealand government. The rescue plan has been in place for a while now, and if they had dealt with it at the time, the plan would have been well and truly underway by now. Many people are worried about the uncertainty, because no firm decisions have been made. I think it is important to stand by Ansett, but I think they are likely to have to downsize in a big way, and try to reach an agreement with Virgin to cooperate.

star_member

Fri Sep 07, 2001 11:29 pm

yes, the nz govt need to make up its bloody mind. the situation grows more dire with every day a decision is delayed.