Tom in NO
Topic Author

EWR Closed During Fire

Tue Sep 11, 2001 6:22 am

The New York Times is reporting that EWR (Newark Airport) was closed for a short time today due to a fire on the roof of the airport's new administration building, which is currently under construction. This bulding is apparently located "several miles" from the main terminals. EWR's ARFF equipment was used to extinguish the blaze, which then, under FAR Part 139, meant the airport had to discontinue operations (due to no accident response capability). The fire occurred around 1:00 PM local.

Info stolen from nytimes.com.

Tom in NO (at MSY)

PS: Questions for the EWR spotters: where exactly on the airport is the new administration building?
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

coboeing777

RE: EWR Closed During Fire

Tue Sep 11, 2001 9:28 am

not sure if the new admin. building is part of the new tower. If that's the case, the fire was located in the center of the terminals and airport roadways behind the Marriott Hotel.

EWRspotter

RE: EWR Closed During Fire

Tue Sep 11, 2001 11:32 am

That would make it at least the second such fire this summer. I was in the Term C baggage claim area a few months ago when the smell of something burning overtook the floor and the ceiling became distinctly smokey. A few minutes later after I grabbed my bags, I walked to the parking area past the construction and was detoured to avoid 2 fire trucks. They didn't bother evacuating the terminal. It probably wasn't that serious.

-Marc.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos