N202PA
Topic Author

AA 757 Crashes Into Pentagon

Wed Sep 12, 2001 1:00 am

Local DC news is reporting that the aircraft that crashed into the Pentagon was an American 757. They were reporting that survivors from the Pentagon (and perhaps the aircraft) have been taken to the Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington, VA. Officials have declined the possibility of biological weapons in the attack.

More information as it comes in...

N202PA
Topic Author

RE: AA 757 Crashes Into Pentagon

Wed Sep 12, 2001 1:07 am

American Airlines and DC's ABC 7 is now confirming that the plane was AA 77, IAD-LAX, a Boeing 757.

Fire is still burning at the Pentagon, and it has spread pretty far around the structure. Word from the local newsies is that the plane impacted the building and exploded. It was not until about 30 minutes later that the section of the Pentagon collapsed from structural failure.

High-ranking officials are said to have been on the other side of the building from the crash.

More details as they come in...

N202PA
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2001 1:13 am

AA has released the following number to call if you believe you might have family aboard any of their aircraft that have crashed. The number is: (800) 245-0999.

PLEASE--ONLY CALL IF YOU HAVE FAMILY ON THE FLIGHTS THAT CRASHED.

More information as it becomes available...

N202PA
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2001 1:31 am

Reports now coming in on WUSA 9 here in Washington are that there are dead in the Pentagon, and all aboard the AA 757 are presumed dead.

gocaps16

Wed Sep 12, 2001 2:26 am

It's very mad world today.

Kevin-Arlington, VA

N202PA
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2001 2:39 am

FOX 5 is now reporting that an eyewitness saw the 757 fly over his head and crash into the Pentagon. Seconds later, a four-engine propeller plane (he said) flew through the smoke from the crash and veered off.

26 injured at Virginina Hospital Center, 7 injured at Washington Hospital Center, 2 in the ER at George Washington Hospital, not critical. So reports ABC 7.

More reports to come...

Notarzt

Wed Sep 12, 2001 2:48 am

Folks,

If no further planes have been hijacked, we now know that a United B767 (UAL 175) first crashed into the WTC, then an American B767. An American B757 hit the Pentagon, and a United B757 (UAL 93) crashed near Pittsburgh. Apart from the United B767, these crashes and locations have been confirmed. The United B767 is a (logical) conclusion as far as no further passenger planes have been hijacked.

Hope this is the end of the attacks and not just a break.

Daniel

Sonic99

Wed Sep 12, 2001 2:51 am

What were the two that crashed into the World Trade Centre towers? There are conflicting reports about that. Where they both AA flights?

N202PA
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2001 2:55 am

WUSA 9 has an interview from an employee on his way to the USA Today building in Rosslyn...He is saying that the plane flew just a few feet over the highway, impacted the west side of the Pentagon, and exploded, first in a cloud of white smoke, and then a massive cloud of black smoke that covered the area. He positively identified the aircraft as an American passenger jet, from the silver skin and the red-white & blue markings around the windows.

There were 58 passengers, 4 flight attendants and 2 flight crew aboard the aircraft. All are presumed dead.

WUSA is also reporting now that there was "a massive intelligence failure" in the government. It was explicitly stated just now that the government knew that this might happen and blew it.

N202PA
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2001 3:00 am

ABC NEWS is now confirming (on the FBI's word) that the 757 that crashed into the Pentagon was, indeed, AA flt. 77, IAD-LAX.

The aircraft that crashed into the South tower of the WTC (the first crash) was United flt. 175, a 767. The aircraft that crashed into the North tower was American flt. 11, another 767. This is being reported by ABC NEWS.

More details to come...

VirginA340

Wed Sep 12, 2001 3:09 am

I would like to know why the pilots didn't try to divert or crash the planes befre they hit the buildings. Unless the terrorists are flying the planes then think they should've crashed into the ground or into the water before it hit the Pentagon and the WTC. The UAL 757 that crashed was supposed to hit the Capitol building but crashed short. Hey; Your going to die anyway so might as well save the people in the WTC and the Pentagon. If the pilots figured it out this way then the casuatly rates would not be in the thousands and the chances of surviviors on the planes would be high. How the terrorists mangaged to get on board the 4 planes is outrageous!!!!! This proves that airlines still are not following up on security. This is badand I hope that the Federal Government is investigating AA and UAL like no tomorrw this should not have happened . I've seen the area and the area where the WTC was is just a crater with piles of wreakage still around. I pray that no one I know are inside. I pray that the fatalies don't go into the thousands. There is defiantly a break down in the US Gov and the two airlines in security!!!! THis is abominable. It still outrages me that to this day security is being taken as a joke and since the hard lessons of PA 103, WTC bombing in 1993, Oklahoma, US Embassy Bombing that we are unable to potect people from such faceless cowards bent on distruction!!!

I hope Bush bombs these bastards in retaliation!!!!! I still can't reach friends or fam in the area. The WTC is gone both towers have collapsed. Hundreds and thousands are dead, serously injured or MIA.

This is New York's Pearl Harbor. God help us all
"FUIMUS"

N202PA
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2001 3:18 am

VA340,

I know that you know best of all that this is Pan Am 103 carried out to the next level. We knew this was coming, even if the FBI and CIA didn't know it was happening right now (let's discount this report, because it might be garbage). The FAA sat on their lazy, money-bought rear ends and dragged ass on domestic security, even when we knew that terrorists could do this. Even when we saw our own aircraft blown up over Lockerbie. Even when the NTSB's own security report showed that bringing bombs and guns onto domestic passenger aircraft was not only possible, but easy.

We knew that the FAA was corrupt from the ValuJet disaster. We knew that they were a bunch of incompetent bureaucrats. And yet, nothing was done. Nothing.

This is all I'm going to say on the matter on this thread, because it is meant to inform people who aren't in Washington just what's going on right now and not a debate (plenty of other threads for that), but it's clear: Our government has screwed up yet again, causing hundreds of innocent airline passengers' lives and thousands of lives in the Pentagon and World Trade Center. How much longer will we allow this to go on?

LuckySevens

Wed Sep 12, 2001 3:21 am

VirginA340,
What is more than likely is that the pilots were executed when the plane was hijacked. No sane pilot would fly into a building....even with a gun held to their head.

N202PA
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2001 3:39 am

WUSA 9 is currently reporting that the Pentagon fire has now erupted again and is still not yet under control. The roof around the collision site is expected to be burning off soon.

More to come...

N202PA
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2001 4:37 am

ABC 7 is reporting at this hour that the AA 757 did not, as first reported, hit a part of the Pentagon that was unoccupied, but a section that was heavily occupied.

Virginia Hospital Center is reporting 30 injured from the Pentagon, Washington Hospital Center is reporting 5 in critical condition, GW Hospital is reporting 2 in the ER, and INOVA is reporting 12 injured, with 9 in fair condition.

More to come...

Alexander

Wed Sep 12, 2001 4:39 am

is there any info how many people day in pentagon

Alexander

Wed Sep 12, 2001 4:41 am

is there any info how many people day in pentagon

N202PA
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2001 4:51 am

No word on any death toll at the Pentagon as of yet. However, all aboard the AA 757 are presumed dead. At this time, there are no known survivors from the aircraft.

From eyewitness accounts on several of the local TV stations (but WUSA 9, in particular), this is what happened:

The 757 came down low over one of the highways that surround the Pentagon, skimming it by just a few feet. A witness reported hearing suddenly something on the order of a "sonic boom", and then seeing the aircraft pass over at low height. Just before the aircraft reached the Pentagon, it banked hard right and collided with the ground, right wingtip first. (This is why you're probably not seeing long collision lines on the side of the Pentagon where the wings would have hit--they never hit there).

Again, an eyewitness reported an immediate cloud of white smoke upon collision, then a tremendous plume of black smoke that covered the entire area around the Pentagon.

The aircraft then cartwheeled into the Pentagon's lower three floors, driving all the way through the structure and into the open courtyard in the middle of the Pentagon structure. The debris is reported as being strewn all throughout the courtyard.

Several minutes later, perhaps as much as a half hour, the upper 2-3 floors collapsed from the lack of support underneath, leaving a full opening in the side of the building.

This is the best information that I have at this time. More to come.

N202PA
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2001 5:31 am

ABC NEWS is now reporting that the wife of the Solicitor General (who defended Bush during the election scandal) was killed aboard American 77, which was the IAD-LAX 757 that apparently was flown into the Pentagon.

They are also reporting that she was able to place a cell phone call to her husband moments before the crash, reporting that the terrorists were herding all of the passengers into the back of the plane.

More to come...

us330

Wed Sep 12, 2001 5:33 am

The pilot's were probably dead before the plane's crashed because, if they were alive during the actual crash, then there would have probably been some last minute attempt to steer the plane away and into New York Harbor.

Wed Sep 12, 2001 5:38 am

Why is there no video of the Pentagon crash?

I seriously doubt the "sonic boom" report as the redline speed on commercial jets is around 400 kts, well short of the 600+ kts needed at sea level to go supersonic. I'm not an engineering expert but I bet the airplane would have disintegrated past 500 kts.

Tim

N202PA
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2001 5:46 am

I seriously doubt the "sonic boom" report as the redline speed on commercial jets is around 400 kts, well short of the 600+ kts needed at sea level to go supersonic. I'm not an engineering expert but I bet the airplane would have disintegrated past 500 kts.

It was not a sonic boom. This we pretty much know. However, the witness said that it sounded like a sonic boom, and I believe him. Think about this: if a large jet aircraft flying at 250-300 kph flies over your head suddenly, without warning, at a distance of only a few mere feet, what do you think it might sound like? Especially when the individual witness probably isn't an aviation buff, but just a regular Joe...I'd say it would sound like a large boom, also.

There probably hasn't been video of the Pentagon crash because was no reason to have a camera focused (or turned on, even) on the Pentagon at that time. Whereas in NYC, one plane had already crashed into the WTC, thereby giving the media a reason to have their cameras focused on that scene.

We might see amateur tape of the Pentagon crash, but I doubt it.

N202PA
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2001 6:36 am

Local news has released the following phone number for relatives of the victims of UA 93 and 175: (800) 932-8555.

Again, please only call this number IF YOU BELIEVE YOU HAVE RELATIVES ABOARD THESE FLIGHTS. Thank you.

More reports to come.

Sonic99

Wed Sep 12, 2001 6:38 am

From all the reports I've seen and heard throughout the course of the day it seems to me that this whole terrorist operation was a systematically planned attempt at beheading the US political, economic, and military establishments with incredible precision and quite obviously well-thought out and very well planned sequence of events.

First the World Trade Centre - representative of Corporate America

Second - the Pentagon

Third - (possibly) Camp David: if political leaders were to escape from a possible attempt to crash an aircraft into the White House where else would the political leaders probably go? = Camp David.

This series of events is absolutely sickening.

My heartfelt and sincerest sympathies to families and friends of this incredibly cowardly and inhumane act of terrorism.

S

N202PA
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2001 8:41 am

NBC NEWS is now reporting that Frasier producer David Angel was aboard one of the four aircraft that crashed. No word on which aircraft.

NBC also just reported that the name of the UA flight attendant on UA 93 who phoned in the report of the hijack on that plane was C.C. Myers. She was calling her husband in Florida, who is a law enforcement official.

It was also reported that the wife of the Solicitor General phoned twice off AA 77 to her husband, reporting the hijack on that aircraft.

More to come...

N202PA
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2001 9:15 am

ABC NEWS is now reporting that just before UA 93 crashed in Pennsylvania, it requested a change of ATC clearance for a flight path to the Washington area.

ABC is also reporting at this time that there was a 911 call from a passenger on UA 93 as it turned towards Washington, reporting that there had been an explosion on board the aircraft and that there was smoke. The debris of the aircraft is downright tiny, says ABC, and the *very* heavy impact created a crater in the rural Pennsylvania countryside.

Video shows only a crater, with no sign that an aircraft had ever existed or crashed there.

More to come...

N202PA
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2001 11:11 am

FOX 5 here in DC is now reporting that local officials are expecting around 100 dead at the Pentagon. This, presumably, does not include those killed aboard American flt. 77, the aircraft that collided with the Pentagon this morning.

More information as it becomes available...

N202PA
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2001 11:45 am

ABC NEWS is now reporting that an Arlington County fire chief is reporting that more than 800 may be dead in the Pentagon. This is a preliminary figure, and is not confirmed in the least.

Arlington County is the county in which the Pentagon is located, just across the Potomac River from downtown Washington, D.C..

Stay tuned...

gocaps16

Wed Sep 12, 2001 2:24 pm

Thanks for posting these info. I live in Arlington Co., VA and about a mile from the Pentagon. Around 7pm, I walked to the Pentagon to check out thesite. Itlooks very bad in person. There were still flames on the roo fof the Pentagon. I will post pictures once I get thm developed.

Also, they have announced that the Pentagon will be r-opened tomorrow. (Sept. 12, 2001) Hopefully air traffic will beback in service also.

do you have PIP on our TV?

Kevin/DCA

N202PA
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2001 2:34 pm

Kevin,

This is a real tragedy for all Americans, but I think for us Washingtonians, it really hits home. Never before has anything of this magnitude occurred here in the District or in the Washington Metro area. (The closest thing that comes to mind was the crash of Air Florida 90. And I was only a small child at that point--I have no memories of it whatsoever) Only New Yorkers can feel the kind of pain and horror that we do at this time.

I feel sick just thinking about the damage caused to the Pentagon today. Every time I go to Canada (regularly), I fly out of National, and catch a glimpse of the Pentagon on my way in. Now, for a good long time, we're all going to have to see a gaping hole in the side of that proud building.

Thanks for the updates, Kevin. Pictures are going to be appreciated. No P-I-P for me, just a dedicated channel-flipping finger, a black-and-white TV, and a desire to share what is going on here in Washington with those who cannot see it for themselves.

This is truly the day America stood still.

More as it becomes available. Stay tuned.

gocaps16

Wed Sep 12, 2001 2:38 pm

I hear yea...Very tragic indeed. This day nobody will forget.

god bless the people who died on thep lane and on the ground.
RIP Trade Center.

Kevin/DCA

N202PA
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2001 5:07 pm

4:00 AM in the Nation's Capital. All's quiet on the western front, and there is no news to report at this hour.

The magnitude of these disasters, both here in Washington and in New York, is still hitting with full force. I can barely stay awake any longer, so I'm going to have to take a rest. I hope that others will be able to relay further information that may unfold during the night.

Will be back tomorrow with more. God keep the innocent victims of these tragedies. And God bless America.

N202PA (Byron Smith) signing out.

N202PA
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2001 12:25 am

Back with more information from Washington, D.C...

ABC NEWS has just reported that the death toll at the Pentagon is now expected to be around 200. This is down from the 800 estimate that was given late last night from local firefighters.

More news as it unfolds...

N202PA
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2001 1:07 am

ABC 7 just reported a scare at the Pentagon...moments ago, people started running away from the building at full force after someone reported an aircraft headed that way. It turns out that it was a false alarm, because it was just a FEMA aircraft passing through.

More to come...

N202PA
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2001 1:10 am

WUSA 9 just reported that estimates of the dead at the Pentagon have now dropped further, to around 100. I have no knowledge of whether this is a serious estimate or just pure conjecture, but it sounded like they believed it to be accurate.

More to come...

N202PA
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2001 1:31 am

The latest: a link to a very incomplete list of victims from the four air crashes and the destruction of the WTC:

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-attacks-victims-list0912sep12.story?coll=sns%2Dap%2Dnationworld%2Dheadlines

More to come...

N202PA
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2001 1:54 am

ABC NEWS is now reporting that most, if not all of the terrorists aboard the aircraft were Egyptian and Saudi Arabian nationals.

Information about two of the terrorists in specific is known:

(*) Saudi national aboard AA 11 from BOS-LAX; his passport may have been recovered in the rubble of the World Trade Center.

(*) Egyptian national, may have been a pilot, and is not known which flight he was on.

Attorney General John Ashcroft is expected by ABC NEWS to speak to the nation this afternoon.

More to come...

N202PA
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2001 2:15 am

FOX 5 and CBS NEWS are now reporting that SWAT teams and bomb squads have just stormed Boston Westin-Copley hotel. Presumably, this is part of the search for the culprits who planned this attack in Boston, as two of the crashed aircraft departed from Logan Airport.

CBS NEWS is now reporting that a suspect is inside the hotel on the 6th floor and that officials are moving back the crowd that has gathered around the hotel. No arrests have been made yet. Suspicions from Ed Bradley are that there is a room in the hotel used by the hijackers which may or may not contain evidence as to who they were.

More when it becomes available.

N202PA
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2001 2:28 am

CBS NEWS is now reporting that the phone call from the 31 year old man aboard UA 93, the 757 that crashed in rural Pennsylvania, included a description of passengers fighting with the terrorists for control of the aircraft, attempting to overpower their attackers. The presumption is that, as the airplane was flying at 500 ft. (presumably to avoid radar detection), the fight caused a loss of flight control, and the aircraft nosed over into the ground, crashed and exploded.

Speculation runs high that the aircraft was headed for Washington, and not Camp David.

More to come...

N202PA
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2001 2:47 am

FOX 5 is now reporting that suspects are in custody in Massachussetts and that the FBI is leading a raid on another hotel outside Boston. They are reportedly using small, fiber-optic cameras that can be slid under the door to explore and examine the room for explosives and other dangers before entering.

FOX is also reporting that there was baggage from possible terrorists which did not make one of the aircraft that crashed. No further news on which flight/airline that involved or on the identity of the terrorist.

More to come..

N202PA
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2001 3:17 am

ABC NEWS is now reporting that arrests have been made at the Boston hotel that they stormed.

They are reporting that the FBI knew of two rooms in the hotel in which suspects were supposedly staying. While approaching the rooms, one of the doors opened, and out came three Arabic persons, two female. The agents reportedly passed these people by in the hall, turned around and took them down at the elevator, arresting them. All three were screaming in arabic at the time, but no one understood what they were saying.

ABC is reporting that the rooms contained wastebaskets and a suitcase that they have removed from the building for examination for a bomb or contents that might give clues to the attacks.

More information to come...

flashmeister

Thu Sep 13, 2001 3:39 am

MSNBC reporting that there is credible evidence that the original target of the Pentagon plane was the White House.

N202PA
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2001 3:48 am

Thanks for that update, Flashmeister.

Breaking news...ABC NEWS is now reporting that a Bush spokesman is saying on the record that they have reason to believe that the plane that hit the Pentagon was actually targeted for the White House. They misreported the aircraft that hit the Pentagon as UA 93, and not AA 77, as it actually was, so there might be some major miscommunication about what the Administration is saying. It is possible that the reporter meant that they believe UA 93, the plane that crashed in PA, was targeted for the White House.

The spokesperson also reported that Air Force One was a target.

More to come as this story unfolds...

N202PA
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2001 3:51 am

Further confirmation...ABC NEWS is reporting that the statement from the White House confirms that they believe that the plane which crashed into the Pentagon (AA 77) was originally intended for the White House. Peter Jennings read the statement word-for-word on air.

Stay tuned...

flashmeister

Thu Sep 13, 2001 3:57 am

They said that the information came from Cell Phones onboard...

They told the pax where they were going. They were told to call loved ones to inform them of their fate.

Maybe the pilots weren't as good as we thought.

Other conversations also led authorities of the track - Dulles informed Nat'l that the transponder was turned off and there was an unidentified a/c heading toward White House airspace.

flashmeister

Thu Sep 13, 2001 3:58 am

Sorry, forgot to include attribution: NBC News

jaysit

Thu Sep 13, 2001 4:41 am

Flashmeister:

What do you mean the "pilots werent as good as we thought?" I happened to know one of the pilots on board AA 77, and he was as good if not better than most. Please shut your trap before you spew rubbish on this board. Jeez. There's enough nonsense being said about Arab Americans on here, and now you talk sh*t about a pilot you don't even know.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

N202PA
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2001 4:55 am

Jaysit,

Please relax. I think what he probably meant was that it may have been that the pilots were not at the controls after the hijack occurred. There has been much speculation that the pilots aboard UA93 and AA77 were heroic in their actions because the jets crashed short of more serious targets.

But it looks likely that these pilots never got the chance to be heroes through their actions, although they will always be heroes through their lives and the price they paid for the nation and our freedom. If they had been given the chance to save those airliners, I have no doubt that they would have done so. They were trained, skilled professionals, and I think everyone knows that.

Let's just let the facts speak for themselves as they unfold, okay? That's what this thread is primarily for. Thank you.

N202PA
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2001 5:00 am

CBS NEWS is now reporting that the FBI has not made any arrests in connection with the terrorist acts yesterday. Dan Rather was very clear in stating, however, that this does not mean that people have not been detained for questioning in relation to their involvement.

More to come...

N202PA
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2001 5:08 am

ABC NEWS is reporting that the FBI has stopped an Amtrak train from Boston to Washington in Providence, where it has searched all passengers. They have not allowed the passengers to reboard the train yet, or disclosed what exactly it is they have found or were looking for.

More to come...