zizou

Question For All - WTC Incident.

Wed Sep 12, 2001 8:58 am

I light of what has happened today in New York, Washington and Pittsburg, I read from another aviation forum here in OZ (Australia), that there is no "strict" security check prior to boarding domestic US flghts, and that it is very easy to smuggle guns, knives etc on to the plane

Since I have never been to the States and am not at all familiar with USA aviation, is this true? I trully hope this is not the case.

SWA TPA

RE: Question For All - WTC Incident.

Wed Sep 12, 2001 9:02 am

I believe its basically true. Just a metal detector and x-ray machine that are fairly easy to bypass. My retired FAA dad has sadly passed thru many times with fake bombs and guns unchallenged.
I believe I can fly.....

N202PA

Wed Sep 12, 2001 9:05 am

You are correct. At most American airports, all you have to do is go through the security gate and pass your luggage through the x-ray scanner. In most cases, this equipment is very poor and misses detection of potential hazards--all the while still inconveniencing innocent travellers.

I was horrified when I found out about the NTSB's findings about airport security and FAA regulations--they sent dozens of undercover agents through security checkpoints at many major U.S. airports. And you know what? More than 30% (I believe this is correct) got through without any problem whatsoever. I have no trouble believing this.

When you consider the ease of smuggling a bomb or gun onto an aircraft, it's downright scary. We always were told that we were safe flying American domestic flights--Pan Am 103 was a result of poor international security. Bull. The FAA has dragged ass on security in this country for years, instituting those pitiful "security questions" that travellers must answer before receiving their boarding pass. Now we see the ramifications of the FAA's failures to ensure the safety of the American travelling public. It's downright disgraceful. And yet again, just like in the ValuJet disaster, the FAA's complacency has cost American blood. For shame.

flight152

Wed Sep 12, 2001 9:06 am

Depends what you consider "strict"

Wed Sep 12, 2001 9:08 am

I went through the same security checkpoint at EWR about 30-45 mins after the hijackers did this morning and they had *trainees* manning the various machines.

zizou

Wed Sep 12, 2001 10:24 am

That is really a shame and a disgrace to USA airports. Its sad that something likes this has to happen, to prompt better security checks in the future.

May all rest in peace.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos