mrman_3k

Great Speech Bush!

Wed Sep 12, 2001 9:40 am

Just listened to the speech and I thought it was great, shows how strong we can be in times like this.

ben88

RE: Great Speech Bush!

Wed Sep 12, 2001 9:47 am

I thought it was a pretty weak speech. And the mention of the psalm was a slap in the face to millions of Americans who are not Christian/Catholic.

Ben88

Wed Sep 12, 2001 9:49 am

There's nothing wrong with quoting the 23rd Psalm. I don't consider it a slap in the face if a politician quotes something from the Torah or the Koran!

EIPremier

Wed Sep 12, 2001 9:50 am

The speech was fine...very formulaic, but what else could we expect?

I agree that the psalm was uncalled for.

b757300

Wed Sep 12, 2001 9:51 am

I still hope to see a message before Congress asking for Declaration of War against whoever did this.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

DG_pilot

RE: Ben88

Wed Sep 12, 2001 9:51 am

Too bad Ben88. Live with it. Nearly all Americans are Christains, so something like that shouldn't suprise you.

jmc1975

Wed Sep 12, 2001 9:52 am

But it brings to reality who God really is and the soverignty He has in this whole situation.

N202PA

Wed Sep 12, 2001 9:52 am

And the mention of the psalm was a slap in the face to millions of Americans who are not Christian/Catholic.

Oh, Good Lord. Now I've seen it all. Thousands of American citizens are dead, and you're taking religious offense? How petty.

I'm not Christian, but even I could see the inspiration in the quote: we cannot be afraid of death, for whatever higher power we believe in will be with us in standing tall and moving on from these tragedies.

Pity some people aren't bright enough to understand that.

heavymetal

Wed Sep 12, 2001 9:54 am

People make a nation strong, not speeches.

At a radio station I was in today here in South Florida, people were calling in asking where to donate blood. People with thick New York accents. People with British accents. People with Latin accents. People with deep Bahamian accents.

We put on such a show for the world with our internal strife and petty differences, don't we? But the world...and yes even we.... forget what makes America great until days like today.

Because days like today we put aside our disagreements. And the great cauldron of diversity comes together as one.

In the days to come, we'll see and hear horrific things about today's evil. But I suggest you stay sane by looking for the heroic things and the tales and stories of human decency that will also arise.

It will remind us that, despite our grevious injury, the cowards behind this tragedy failed even before they died.

planeboy

George Jr has nothing to do with what happened today. He has been in office for a short time. Problems such as these have been building up for a long, long time...

united747

Are you kidding? The least Bush could do is ACT like he's not reading from a teleprompter and show his country that he cares the least bit about it. It makes me very depressed to know that our president is a moron (or at least acts like one). That speech SUCKED!

-Adam

EIPremier

RE: DG_pilot

Wed Sep 12, 2001 9:55 am

Cough, gasp, sputter...all I can say is, you'll probably regret making that comment.

Actually, I was not at all offended by the prayer. I suspect other people might be more so, however.

Anyway, the speech doesn't really matter that much. It's his actions in the next few days/weeks that will really count.

deltaflyertoo

Wed Sep 12, 2001 9:55 am

If the Psalm is from the old Testament, why is it a slap in the face. It would apply to both Jewish and Christians.

If not, the referance had none to God but more of an internal motivational purpose.

Please don't judge what is a slap in the face to which group of Americans based on some commet when this whole day has been a major slap in the face to ALL AMERICANS!!

Klaus

Wed Sep 12, 2001 9:56 am

I thought it was a rather weak speech for the occasion.

He certainly read out the things that would have to be said, but it was never more obvious that he´s out of his depth. I´m not really worried about the USA, though; Your wellbeing does not hinge on G.W.Bush. And even he will grow, I think (and hope).

Bicoastal

Wed Sep 12, 2001 9:58 am

I'm an atheist and didn't mind what he said. Some people need comfort. It goes in one ear and out the other for me. Just takes some tolerance for those who need a crutch. I didn't expect him to to into detail about retaliation. We all know that's coming...no need to tell the targets ahead of time. Bush isn't a natural communicator like Clinton and Reagan, but I'm fully confident in his and his administration's ability to handle this appropriately.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

Amen Heavymetal

Amen Heavymetal, as a matter of fact, I already called the Red Cross to find out where I can give blood and my wife will as well (even though she hates needles!)

Super Em

Bush cannot do anything right now.A speech cannot bring back the lives that are gone.

ben88

Wed Sep 12, 2001 9:59 am

The topic was about the speech, which I thought was weak. I know that what happened today was a horrible thing and I genuinely feel for the victims and their families. If you post a topic about a speech expect responses to the topic and don't try to make me look disloyal or unpatriotic because I love my country.

jm-airbus320

Wed Sep 12, 2001 10:01 am

Nothing was wrong with the psalm quotation.......well said George

Jm-airbus320

G-VIIB

Wed Sep 12, 2001 10:08 am

That was an excellent speech by President Bush. It shows how we can be strong in times like this. God Bless us all, especially those affected by the day's tragedies, your are in my prayers.
GVIIB

N202PA

Wed Sep 12, 2001 10:11 am

This was an excellent, inspiring speech. Now, GW and our armed forces need to get out there and take out those who created these awful disasters.

highliner2

Wed Sep 12, 2001 10:32 am

I thought Bush did good in qouting the Bible verse, call me what you will, but if you remember, the United States was founded as one nation, UNDER GOD!!!!!!!!
Go Cubs!

heavymetal

Wed Sep 12, 2001 10:35 am

Gee, bickering over who's right when it come to GOD!?

This evil day's not even over and we've already learned nothing from it.

TonyBurr

Wed Sep 12, 2001 10:38 am

Hey Ben88

U said the psalm was a slap in the face to all who are not Chritsian/Catholic (gee, I thought Catholic believed in Christ and were Christian???), but anyhow Ben, the psalms are OLD TESTAMENT, the Jewish Scripture. So Jewish people were offended since they are not Christian/Catholic??? I don't follow ur logic. Pleas get your theology/religions stragight when u make such condemnations!

I think YOUR speech is weak!!!

DC10Tony

Wed Sep 12, 2001 10:41 am

Ben88-

Why don't you put your differences with Bush aside and gel together with your fellow Americans during this difficult time?

Wed Sep 12, 2001 10:51 am

Ben88- I'm a staunch athiest and quite the anti-Christian, and I've managed to put even that aside and been able to join friends in prayer. Did I ever expect to do anything like that? No- I had renounced prayer completely as B.S. Do I think my agreeing reluctantly to join hands with fellow Americans and say some words of comfort really changed the situation at all? No. But it did do something amazing for me- it showed me how strong the spirit truly is. Not that holy spirit thing, but the American Spirit. If our nation being plunged into a crisis like this can cause people like me to pray, surely you can set aside your dislike of Bush (I'm not particularly high on him myself) and find it in yourself to go to the nearest Red Cross or blood bank and ask not what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country.

jgardner

Wed Sep 12, 2001 11:39 am

Well, it was so-so as far as speeches go; It was not as inspiring as a "date which will live in infamy", but GW is no FDR. It wasn't bad, but it kinda looked like he was reading off a cue card.

The fact is that he and other leaders have banded together to (hopefully) exact justice is good enough for me. It pains me to have experienced the worst 24 hours in the 225 year history of our nation.

zeus01

AMerica Is A Christian Nation! Face It!

Wed Sep 12, 2001 11:47 am

God bless Bush!!!!!!

What a great man. My heart and prayers go out to you all. My uncle lives in North Manhattan, said its pretty bad. Great job bush.
To bad if you didn't like it.

Yea BUsh!!!! God Bless america

akelley728

Wed Sep 12, 2001 12:07 pm

Ben88:

If Bush hadn't said 'this is from Psalm 23' would you have known any different? What would your reaction be then?

It was an appropriate 'phrase' for the speech.

Remember, Bush said for 'YOU' are with me. He didn't say God, or Jesus, or anything. 'YOU' could mean anything that gives us comfort... for the majority of Americans who are religious in some way, whether Hindu, Christian, Jewish, or Moslem, that means a belief in God/Jesus/Allah etc. For those of you who are not religious, it could mean family or friends.

What the heck is wrong with that?

I hate it when people jump all over something just because it happens to be based on a Biblical teaching. If it's appropriate, then who the heck cares?