What can be done to prevent this in the future?
- There can never be 100% guarantee that airport security works (plus all other airport staff)
- Neither can anti-aircraft weapons be a solution
So how about:
- Steel cockpit doors like on El Al (that is a rumour, I don't know if it's true)?
- Self destruction devices on board? (But at the moment of the highjacking the pilot doesn't know the real intent yet)
- The possibility to control the plane from the ground in emergency situations, overruling cockpit commands? Would that be possible with today's technology?
And I'm sure the experts come up with more ideas that I can't think of right now.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...