What If IFR Condition Prevailed Yesterday?

Wed Sep 12, 2001 11:06 pm

Hey everyone,

Sorry if this sounds rather stupid, but I keep wondering if the history could have been changed yesterday if IFR conditions prevailed over Northeastern US.

Let's say low ceilings and low visibility in both New York and Washington would have probably prevented the assholes to cause this horrible chaos.

Just a thought
Nicolas

goingboeing

RE: What If IFR Condition Prevailed Yesterday?

Wed Sep 12, 2001 11:15 pm

Most likely it would only have obscured video coverage. GPS is pretty accurate...all they would need are the coordinates of the towers.

Wed Sep 12, 2001 11:27 pm

I doubt that those guy could have found the tower if NY was IFR. Do you think they had any knowledge of the FMC? I know these guys had some sort of knowledge on how to fly but probably not that far.

I'm sorry for all these speculations.
Nicolas

goingboeing

Wed Sep 12, 2001 11:31 pm

I don't think you're giving them enough credit for their flying skills...that second plane was moving FAST, yet the pilot was able to make a descending last minute turn to hit the building square.

contrails

Wed Sep 12, 2001 11:32 pm

This is an intriguing question. I have been wondering if the attack might have originally been planned for Monday, but postponed due to the weather.

It seems obvious to me that the terrorists' desire for media coverage was more important than their ability to navigate the planes.

Any other opinions?
Flying Colors Forever!

prebennorholm

Wed Sep 12, 2001 11:38 pm

They chose the date, and consequently the weather. It is no more complicated than that.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

b757300

Wed Sep 12, 2001 11:41 pm

This was probably planned for a long time but the exact day wasn't decided upon until good weather was assured. Not only did they need it for easier navigation but think about this. AA 11 smashes into the WTC's North Tower and is followed a few minutes later by the United 175 crashing into the South Tower. What they wanted is for the second crash to be seen live around the nation. Terror is not just a physical attack; it’s a psychological attack more than anything else.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

captjetblast

Wed Sep 12, 2001 11:42 pm

I'm sure The ASSHOLES spent months getting trained for this, and would have no problem waiting for another sunny morning.