What Do You Think Of American West's Livery?

Wed Jun 30, 1999 5:17 am

I think its beautiful. I like how they do the tails. I think that American West's old livery was awful. What do you think?

Colin Kumpunen

A330

RE: What Do You Think Of American West's Livery?

Wed Jun 30, 1999 5:56 am

AWA's new livery is in my opinion one of the WORST! It is screamingly vulgar.
Shiek!

cedarjet

Wed Jun 30, 1999 6:15 am

It sure is vulgar. The old one was a bit of a shambles but the new one is no improvement. That stupid typeface belongs on a toy, it's kind of 'jokey' or something, and the textural stuff under it doesn't really work either. Must be too much AZ sun frying their brains in the corporate suite, although Virgin don't have that excuse and Branson has completely wrecked the Virgin corporate identity. I guess it's just bad judgement and shocking aesthetic taste.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Cody

Wed Jun 30, 1999 10:46 am

I don't know American MD80.....I liked the old one better. The new one looks like the employees asked their 4-year old children to design it.

Al

Wed Jun 30, 1999 11:53 am

The typeface looks like "the old west" to me and is identifiable with the airline.
Maybe the entire scheme would look a
bit better with a different typeface, but
by and large, I don't mind the scheme as it is now. Certainly anything is more
preferable to the boring, bland and unimaginative "Euro-White" schemes that most carriers seem to prefer these days.
It beats Delta's "back to the future" new
paint job.
Cheers.

Wed Jun 30, 1999 12:14 pm

American MD-80, I believe it's America West (not AmericaN). HP was trying to emphasize their tie to the southwest, hence the colors... the first time I saw the new paint scheme I thought it looked as if AWA let a team of graffitti artists lose on it, or maybe they used a Commodor 64 to design the new scheme. ADIOS

flyaa757

HP Interiors

Wed Jun 30, 1999 1:53 pm

Never mind the exteriors, the interiors are horrible! I recently flew 4 HP flights. The first, JFK-PHX was on a brand new A320, which had a comfortable, clean new interior. Although I despise Airbus, this plane really was cherry. My second flight was PHX-SJC on 737-300 N172AW. Although this a/c was in the new color scheme, the interior was quite old and tatty. It was filthy. cramped, and shabby. Flight 3, SJC-LAS was on N174AW, which duplicated my earlier experience on her sister ship. My final flight, LAS-JFK was on 757 N908AW, which was newly painted in the special Arizona Cardinals livery. While I was pleased to log this unique a/c, the aircraft's interior was dissapointingly reminiscent of the 737-300s, although I must admit it was much cleaner. In the three older aircraft, each seat back had individual monitors that did not work. In fact, none worked on any of the aircraft! HP urgently needs to upgrade these dated interiors. While my 733 flights were empty(SJC-LAS only had about 15 pax), the 757 was fully loaded. What a terrible experience to be crammed between two large people ona red eye flight with a crappy movie, no food, and surly flight attendants(2 hrs. late, of course).

RE: What Do You Think Of AmericA West's Livery?

Wed Jun 30, 1999 2:04 pm

I think the new America West livery is bright, bold and exciting. It's a fun looking paint job and a nice looking eye catcher. I admit, it's not the most professional in the industry, but it's entertaining.

RE: HP Interiors

Wed Jun 30, 1999 2:07 pm

Yes I admit, the current blue interiors are getting old and very worn... America West is currently in the process of (slowly but surely) replacing all interiors with a new state-of-the-art grey interior which in my opinion is the nicest in the industry. It's a beautiful interior and very comfortable new seats. I applaud America West for the new interior design. It's currently being delivered with new Airbuses and has been installed on very few other Airbuses currently in the fleet and 2 757's.

alaska737

Wed Jun 30, 1999 2:38 pm

I hate it. The old livery was much more tasteful and the new livery is just plane ugly.

RE: What Do You Think Of America West's Livery?

Wed Jun 30, 1999 4:29 pm

It may be ugly, but it's eye-catching and that's exactly what this airline needs. I think management wanted something that would be quickly recognizable, particularly to increase their brand-recognition in less-served parts of the country.

If you had been in Atlanta 4 years ago and had seen an HP aircraft, you may not have even noticed it. Today, if you see the new scheme, I guarantee you'll notice it--you may want to vomit, but you'll notice.

Finally, I'd like to point out that they slightly modified the new typeface. In it's original form it was stretched more vertically and the base of the letters were "pointy"--in fact, this still appears on many of the aircraft. The A/C most recently painted, however, sport a slightly more refined look. It was explained that the older version is too hard to read at an angle.

The new interiors look very sharp, or as you Europeans say, "cherry". It's too bad so many of their flight attendants are disgruntled.

Thu Jul 01, 1999 4:39 am

Hi-

I kinda do like AWA's new livery. I DO like the textured look. Funny thing is though, I like SWA's better! I am flying on a 733 (probably) on four different flights (DTW-PHX-LGB, LGB-PHZ-DTW) what is my chance of getting the new interior?

Jack M
airliners.net IS COOL

Southwest New Interior?

Thu Jul 01, 1999 5:07 am

What does Southwests new interior look like?

Colin Kumpunen

Thu Jul 01, 1999 6:45 am

I don't believe any of the Boeing 737's in America West's fleet have been re-fitted with the new interiors. I think only the new Airbuses and several old ones plus 2 757's have...

RE: Southwest New Interior?

Thu Jul 01, 1999 7:20 am

Southwest Airlines doesn't have a new interior. We're talking about AMERICA WEST's new interior.

Thu Jul 01, 1999 1:19 pm

SOUTHWEST'S new interior in on their NEW aircraft.

Thu Jul 01, 1999 2:01 pm

Southwest doesn't have a new interior on their new aircraft... it's the same as the others except for the fact that the lounge seating is no longer there. The seat covers are the same. Nothing has changed as far as decor on Southwest Airlines.