SFORAMPER

What About Nonrevs?

Thu Sep 13, 2001 9:10 am

Well now that they re only gonna allow ticketed paxs thru security how in hell are we gonna fly since we have no ticket? any ideas ? I expect every airline will have to come up with some system. THIS SUCKS.
My prayers and thoughts are with eveybody affected.

ORDUAL24

RE: What About Nonrevs?

Thu Sep 13, 2001 10:25 am

the pax in seat 4D on UAL flt that crashed in Penn. was a non-rev.....i work for ual, EVERYONE has some sort of paper to get in the term....

coboeing777

Thu Sep 13, 2001 10:37 am

not necessarily. At CO.....i havent used any kind of paper ticket since we went to E-ticket. However, now that this has happened I wonder what will happen to those e-ticket machines. But without tickets any airline employees should have no problem getting in as long as they have the proper ID. Remember, pilots and FAs and othr airport workers need to get in somehow.

Thu Sep 13, 2001 10:55 am

Yeah but pilots and F/As and airport employees (like us) are dressed apporpriately. However when we are nonrevving we are dressed like a bunch of businessmen and women, and even with IDs we will still need a boarding pass of some sort. When I was in both Buenos Aires and Cancun this summer, I had a ticket issued from the counter that just indicated that I was traveling on that particular flight, but there was obviously no seat assignment or anything. These kind of blank boarding passes are what, I assume, we will be resorted to using now, which SUCKS because we have to wait in that damn line now.

I just hope that's the only inconvience to nonrevving. I can't imagine the FAA putting other restrictions on us, but if there were, say US Marshalls on board now, although they'd be there for our safety, it would make it harder for us to catch a seat.

coboeing777

Thu Sep 13, 2001 11:14 am

but still remember, uniforms dont necessarily mean they are legit. It wouldnt be hard to get a hold of some airport worker uniforms.

copter808

Thu Sep 13, 2001 12:09 pm

I think the question here would be "What is a ticket?" You may be thinking of an actual airline "ticket", while the security folks may be thinking something more along the line of "some form of documentation". Even when using an e-pass, if memory serves correctly, you still have some type of paper authorization. How would you get through the jetway without some type of documentation?

The new procedures would just move the ticketing (and check) point farther away from the gate.

In BKK (Bangkok), you need a boarding pass to get to the passport control area--everything beyond (toward the airplane) that is sterile. You then need to show your boarding pass again at the gate prior to boarding.

skyhawk

Thu Sep 13, 2001 12:43 pm

According to my husband(who is a supervisor for Delta), when we travel as a non-rev, we will have to check in at the ticket counter and receive a "seat request" card which will then be taken to the gate. Like they have been saying on TV there will be no curbside baggage check-in, that too will have to go through the ticket counter. As for the Flight crews and the F/A's, they will be issued an additional ID in addition to the company ID that they aleady have to carry. If you have anymore questions, please ask me and I will try to find out through him.

SFORAMPER

Thu Sep 13, 2001 1:25 pm

This is what I suspected, this means showing up 3 hours before the flight to stand in line.

Mitchell Gant

Thu Sep 13, 2001 1:29 pm

E-Ticket machines will be relegated to the Smithsonian Institute. They are a thing of the past now.

Boeingfan

Thu Sep 13, 2001 2:27 pm

Not only non revenues?

However, do you think the eticket machines or kiosks could still be used by employees to get a seat request print out? Then take that to the gate agent for exchange of a seat assignment?

For the "bread and butter", eticket revenue passengers, issue a boarding pass authorization/seat assignment automatically that must be exchanged at the gate for a real board pass?

The security questions via the screen are no longer going to be an option. The questions are going to require staff resource to ask. The questions could be asked by the gate agent.

Now, with the increase in staff required at the gate, and additional contract resources at security check point, who is going to bare the tab?

We all may want to observe El Al a time or two?

akelley728

Fri Sep 14, 2001 12:28 pm

Skyhawk:

Will this 'seat request card' look like a boarding pass? And what about family members of employees who fly nonrev? (they don't have any official ID) I'm asking for my parents, who fly non-rev sometimes on Delta (my brother is a ramp agent, he hasn't been to work since Tuesday)

skyhawk

Sat Sep 15, 2001 5:45 am

Akelley728-the "seat request" card looks exctly like a boarding card, I am in the same spot as your parents-I am retired from flying so I no longer have an official ID. From what my husband has said is you will still have to have a picture ID(just as you did before this happened). When you get to the airport,very early I might add, go to the counter and check in. There you wil receive the "seat request" card, go to the gate and wait as usual. If anything changes any time soon, I'll be glad to let you and others know via this site. Skyhawk God bless America!

necigrad

Sat Sep 15, 2001 8:38 am

You guys are all wondering how we're gonna non-rev. I'm still wondering how I'm gonna get through security to go to work! I was working on Tues. morning, then have been off fro the past three days. Tonight is my first night back. How do I get through security with steel toe shoes?
As far as non-reving goes, I'd expect for EVERYONE to get a boarding pass. It might not have a seat assignment, but it will say boarding pass somewhere on it.

Delta_Fan

Sat Sep 15, 2001 9:42 am

SkyHawk give my regard to your husband Im to a Supervisor for DL , in an international station and sice that is the case we are obligated to fly non-rev with Delta's non-rev paper tickets wich are aviliable in ant DL CTO or by requesting them to DL station supply ,, iguess all airlines have a similar procedure.

Delta_fan

MTY

akelley728

Sat Sep 15, 2001 2:00 pm

Skyhawk:

Thanks for the info!

UAL Bagsmasher

Sat Sep 15, 2001 2:04 pm

I heard UA may eliminate Buddy passes in the near future. As far as getting to work through security goes....don't get me started with that one. Today was my first day back, and boy was I in for a rude awakening.